BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town 29.12.19

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Mid table is not an objective for me either but I don't think it is a disaster if things are getting better - albeit slowly.

Agree with you about managers . Do you think the people who gave us Steve Kean, Owen Coyle , Henning Berg etc are going to pick the right one ?

Not an argument I like to be honest in the let’s stick with a poor manager because there could always be worse and I’m afraid of what we would get. Be ambitious and strive for better ffs

• Like 9

Just now, OJRovers said:

I'd be tempted to get a RB ahead of a LB. How many games have we lost with Bennett playing there? It doesn't work.

We look a much better team with a proper RB. Whereas we've got Downing, Bell and Williams at a push for LB.

Nyambe at right back, get a replacement for Cunningham. The three you mention are not good enough in that position, Downing being the only one I personally would consider. Bennet is at best a right sided substitute 

• Like 2

Just now, rigger said:

Nyambe at right back, get a replacement for Cunningham. The three you mention are not good enough in that position, Downing being the only one I personally would consider. Bennet is at best a right sided substitute 

Much as I like Nyambe as a defensive player I'm afraid he's always going to be prone to missing games through muscle injuries.

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not an argument I like to be honest in the let’s stick with a poor manager because there could always be worse and I’m afraid of what we would get. Be ambitious and strive for better ffs

It started with a slap and ended under the patio.

Mowbray quite rightly points out in interviews that he has been in professional football for over forty years and I respect that but why the hell did he shift Gallagher to wide right when thousands of us could see we needed a presence down the middle. To accommodate this he put Armstrong central which effectively put two players out of the game. This didn't cost us the game but it infuriated me almost as much as the result. Mowbrays pig headedness is infuriating.

We were poor today against a bad Huddersfield side with the worst home record in the league. The first goal is embarrassing. From behind the goal Walton was poor and should have come for the ball but far worse than that was the number of times we gave the ball away or were caught in possession. Nearly every player was guilty of this. As many have said we are treading water with Mr Average in charge. Mid to lower table is a shoe in with him and my absolute worry is that there seems to be an acceptance of that.

• Like 7

I wouldn’t bother with new signings we are going nowhere. Sack Mowbray or as tomphil suggested send him upstairs. Appoint Johnson for the rest of the season and see how he does. Use the youth team and at that point we’ll know who may make the grade. If it doesn’t work out appt an experienced manager in the summer.

• Like 2

Just now, Boroblue said:

I wouldn’t bother with new signings we are going nowhere. Sack Mowbray or as tomphil suggested send him upstairs. Appoint Johnson for the rest of the season and see how he does. Use the youth team and at that point we’ll know who may make the grade. If it doesn’t work out appt an experienced manager in the summer.

That would get my vote in a poll. Good strategy where we capitalise on any of our current strengths and solve a thorny problem without too much upheaval.

I think we looked soft today. In the second half we had them at one point under some pressure their player then  side foots it out and points to another player lying on the ground. After a couple of minutes getting medical attention, we just throw the ball back to their keeper. who launches it forward. we manage to give it away in defence, they score. We should have kept possession at the throw, in their half, it would have probably upset them and led to some rash  challenges which we could have taken advantage of. Instead we are two-one down. This softness has to be removed by the manager.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

True, but if he could hang on long enough to be given another unwarranted new contract, then him and Venus really would be set for life.

Probably his last job at a decent level  and I get the sense he's trying to eke it out for all it's worth.

All this blagging the owners with what they are doing behind the scenes, drones etc. They'll be convincing them it'll turn average or young players into great ones worth money but it'll take a few years 

It won't, it might help the analytics and stats but unless you recruit good players and coaches you'll still get nowhere.

Another 2 or 3 year contract in the bank will do him no harm though on the back of it covering over the first team stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, Colt Seavers said:

I've had something of an epiphany of my own over the festive period  (and there are no wise men in my version). 

I strongly suspected we would somehow contrive to end up with a ridiculously low points tally in the last three games, after all we were beginning to flirt dangerously with the promised land of play off glory. I am now firmly of the opinion that Mowbray (and by extension most of his players) don't actually seek promotion. Although this is anathema to us supporters, it makes perfect sense from their point of view. The manager is well paid. He has a good contract and doesn't seem unduly pressured to gain promotion. It seems that he waved away an offer of additional funding some months ago as he prefers a slow build. I am unaware of a similar precedent in football. He isn't premiership management material and knows it. Promotion would end his reign quicker than marginal progression. His personal aim this season in my opinion is a better points tally / final league position than last year. Job done.

As regards the players, who amongst them would cut it in the top division? Therefore who amongst them genuinely desires promotion? Bennett? Downing? Graham? Johnson? Evans? Williams? 

Other than our younger contingent of Lenihan,  Nyambe,  Travis, Armstrong and perhaps one or two more, who else could be said to be ambitious to play at a higher level? These are already wealthy young men. There are often only slight differences in pure ability in the top two flights; much of the marginal gains come down to ambition, pride and desire. We have all worked with talented but laid back, unambitious people I'm sure. Why would footballers be any different. I know for a fact that Ben Marshall drove everyone at Ewood mad with the way he squandered his ability when he was here. They simply couldnt get through to him after having very high hopes for him. Really drove the staff nuts.

It has to come from Mowbray and the players and too many of the current employees are on easy street and don't want to upset the status quo. Now that I have reconciled myself to this belief, everything slots into place and the scales have fallen from my eyes. It is clear to me why we played as though we were happy to lose today and it is also clear that we will not gain promotion under the current regime come hell or high water. 

Spot on.

9 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I strongly suspected we would somehow contrive to end up with a ridiculously low points tally in the last three games, after all we were beginning to flirt dangerously with the promised land of play off glory. I am now firmly of the opinion that Mowbray (and by extension most of his players) don't actually seek promotion. Although this is anathema to us supporters, it makes perfect sense from their point of view. The manager is well paid. He has a good contract and doesn't seem unduly pressured to gain promotion. It seems that he waved away an offer of additional funding some months ago as he prefers a slow build. I am unaware of a similar precedent in football. He isn't premiership management material and knows it. Promotion would end his reign quicker than marginal progression. His personal aim this season in my opinion is a better points tally / final league position than last year. Job done.

As regards the players, who amongst them would cut it in the top division? Therefore who amongst them genuinely desires promotion? Bennett? Downing? Graham? Johnson? Evans? Williams? 

Other than our younger contingent of Lenihan,  Nyambe,  Travis, Armstrong and perhaps one or two more, who else could be said to be ambitious to play at a higher level? These are already wealthy young men. There are often only slight differences in pure ability in the top two flights; much of the marginal gains come down to ambition, pride and desire.

These have been exactly my thoughts lately too.

i find it a bit distressing that the way to gain a victory over us is to launch long balls over the top and then press us back ,we must be the weediest side in the whole football league,completely bullied today as we have been numerous times in the past,like iv`e stated before,we have far to many contented players,just turning up for their wages,look at the difference in effort and desire today,i was embarrased to be a rovers fan,can you imagine the likes of faz,keeley,todd,nelson,hendry,samba,batty,sherwood,flitcroft etc being pushed around like that

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are ignoring personal responsibility due to your blinkered dislike of the manager. If you make the case that Travis started well,but has not continued that, would that not mean he therefore can play well under the manager? 

Sorry but you have that backwards.

He started very much an attacking force.

He was dropped.

He now plays a more conservative game.

But you carry on making it personal and then call me a baby when you get called out on it. We are heading back to the ‘dark’ days you and I, if you continue.

Just now, Stuart said:

Sorry but you have that backwards.

He started very much an attacking force.

He was dropped.

He now plays a more conservative game.

But you carry on making it personal and then call me a baby when you get called out on it. We are heading back to the ‘dark’ days you and I, if you continue.

He's playing shite. Looks slow on the ball, second touch usually means the opposition is on him. The tactics were all over the place today,but players need to take responsibility for their own performance. The manager cant pass the ball for them. I think you are over stating how much of an "attacking force" he was too. I think he was built up too much to be fair. 

• Backroom
19 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

The pain lies in the matches where we've failed miserably to capitalise. Did anybody think we'd go to Ashton Gate and win 2-0? No. Did anybody expect us to pick up fewer points than that single game against Bristol after playing three games against "weaker" opposition, with two of those games being at home? You wouldn't like to think so, but some on here knew it was on the cards. It's the Mowbray trait, unfortunately.

Honestly I'd say it's more a Rovers trait at this point than Mowbray specific. We were dealing with the same shit under Bowyer. Our form wasn't quite as dramatically polarised as it is under Mowbray but the same basic problem of not winning matches where we would be considered the better side was still prevelent. Our form suddenly imploding when within touching distance of the playoffs was also happening regularly during Bowyer's spell. It's a mental issue which has afflicted the club for some time. A combination of bringing in soft lads and employing soft managers. The talent is there but the desire and will to push beyond the boundaries and refuse to accept mediocrity just isn't. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 9