BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Huddersfield Town 29.12.19

I haven’t read all through the thread but did anyone else notice that when there was a break in play for the Bacuna injury Danny Cowley was talking to all of his players and giving them instructions and encouragement. Mowbray wasn’t really doing anything. They scored pretty quickly afterwards. 

• Like 3

Just now, JoeH said:

Things TM did that cost us the game:

- Bell on at half time?
- Rothwell off and a defender on?
- Graham (only fecker who can score) off?
- Buckley not brought off?

Things TM couldn’t control but also cost us the game: 

- Bradley Johnson’s performance
- Sam Gallagher’s Performance
- John Buckley’s Footballing ability And lack thereof
- Marking at the set piece leaving two biggest attackers wide open

Overall, just absolute shit. 2 pts from Wigan, Birmingham and Huddersfield is relegation form, Mowbray is just lucky we’ve gathered enough points with Dack to avoid a relegation fight at any stage.

Same as last season, same as next season.

17 minutes ago, LDRover said:

I think it's high time the local press called Mowbray out on the Brereton farce. He's massively answerable to this dropped bollock and his complete lack of trust in his investment.

I think its high time the owners did!

Reckon I might get a few more people joining my - “yeah Harry Chapman isn’t actually *that* great” - club after today!

I know I do often talk about him but honestly he was just as weak as Buckley today, no physicality whatsoever and looked nothing special for the time he played.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Both players and manager will have contractual clauses for promotion bonuses and higher salaries in the Premier League so I don't think this is a correct analysis at all.

I covered that by writing that they are already extremely wealthy. This wealth, combined with an ingrained lack of ambition and fear of performing at a higher level entirely negates the lure of a promotion bonus. It isn't 1983 at Rovers anymore. They are being paid more than they could possibly spend compared to the likes of, for example Baz Rathbone and Terry Gennoe.  Both of whom would have given their right one to have a crack at the top flight by the way.

The hunger simply isn't there. 

Edited by Colt Seavers
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Boroblue said:

No I was at Charlton has an example and he was dynamic. Head up driving foward looking to make the box and to put the opposition on the back foot. When he first came into the team he was a revaluation in comparison to Smallwood and Evans. Now he is them. Ponderous looking for the short ball holding position. Has Mowbray once said of Harrison Reed the reason he’s not in center mid is because he needs to understand that position. To do that he needs to watch smallwood and Evans and thats what travis has become. 

Im sorry but our manager is tactically awful he does nothing to improve players. Raya nyambe Travis.

i went to the away  under  23 game at Norwich and the parents hate him. Now that may just be where I was sat and a snapshot that does not reflect reality. However on the field I know what I see and he needs potting. It can’t be every player even the ones he signs that’s at fault or maybe it is and he is the shining light against the darkness.

Spot on.

He is certainly no friend to the youngsters. One of the first things he did when he came in was complain that money spent on the academy was money not spent on the first team. Well, he’s had both and we look absolutely no better than we did when he first took over.

Relegation with Venkys bankrolling us has turned Mowbray’s career around. Not the first time I’ve said it but BRFC has done more for TM than the other way around.

Just now, JoeH said:

Reckon I might get a few more people joining my - “yeah Harry Chapman isn’t actually *that* great” - club after today!

I know I do often talk about him but honestly he was just as weak as Buckley today, no physicality whatsoever and looked nothing special for the time he played.

He was played has a left winger and he’s a right winger. I think endlessly finding things wrong with young players is not he answer. Buckley is being played has a winger for god sake. It’s not Chapman that’s at fault or Buckley it’s our leaddrship

ps chapman may or may not be very good but he’s not the problem 

• Like 4

Just now, JoeH said:

buckley is`nt ready for this level and probably never will be,to be that small and make it at this level you`ve got to be special,only player i can think off who was that slight was craig bellamy,he was a fantastic player though

2 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I haven’t read all through the thread but did anyone else notice that when there was a break in play for the Bacuna injury Danny Cowley was talking to all of his players and giving them instructions and encouragement. Mowbray wasn’t really doing anything. They scored pretty quickly afterwards. 

Cowley knows how to make a good sub as well. In the reverse fixture he brought Bacuna on and it changed the game and he scored within 10 minutes of coming on.

Our subs made no sense again. Maybe bringing Bell on for Rothwell was fine if Mowbray thought that we were being targeted on the left, and Bell was actually quite good when he came on. But within about 10 minutes he brought Armstrong on and moved him to the left which pretty much nullified the earlier decision. 

We were also actually starting to connect with our passes after half time, but bringing Armstrong on and changing the formation disrupted that again as the players were trying to get used to the change.

Chapman getting brought on for his first start of the season and first start since the long lay off injury was ridiculous as well. We were losing 2-1 and playing an away game against what was a very boisterous stadium. You could tell Chapman’s confidence levels weren’t there and he struggled to make any sort of impact.

Just now, JoeH said:

After today?? - He had 10 minutes !

The rest of the team were as bad if not worse for the whole game.

• Like 1

We've been tactically killed off in the last 3 games when you go on a run in this league that's what can happen. Other sides go out to stop you so you either meet fire with fire, step up another gear if you can or come up with plan b.

Our plan b is just try and catch them out by swapping a load of players and deploying them in odd positions. It just adds to our problems though as we are so disjointed, unbalanced and not gelled. We caught Hudds cold early just like we started bright v Wigan but once both sides got to grips after about 10 mins that was it.

Then we entering the muddled zone of switch formation, make a sub switch again, concede switch again, another sub switch again.

Sick and tired of seeing this to be honest, god knows what the players think although a lot won't bother if they get a run and an appearance bonus. That's part of the reason he does it i'm convinced.  It's only our resolve saves us from some spankings late on i games, thankfully.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Spot on.

He is certainly no friend to the youngsters. One of the first things he did when he came in was complain that money spent on the academy was money not spent on the first team. Well, he’s had both and we look absolutely no better than we did when he first took over.

Relegation with Venkys bankrolling us has turned Mowbray’s career around. Not the first time I’ve said it but BRFC has done more for TM than the other way around.

I was being to think I had dreamt that. I knew he had and it flew in the face of later utterances from him. It was when I started to doubt him.

12 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I did notice this and so did a few people around us. Mowbray stood there with his hands in his pockets and our players all stood apart on the pitch looking at their boots!. While Huddersdfield were talking and planning our players didn't even communicate with each other.

I think it sums up the whole problem at Rovers at the moment. No leadership or desire on the pitch, no direction from the manager, no pressure on the manager from within the club  which, in turn, translates to a general lackadaisical attitude all round. It also feels like there is no real rapport between this team and the fans or between the manager and the fans.

As always, it comes down to how the club is run by the current owners - no interest, no pressure, lack of desire, awful performances.

Today, I think the atmosphere generated by the home fans helped their team enormously and, despite a poor season, the club had the 'all in it together' approach - manager, players, fans. All sadly missing from our club at the moment. @ColtSeavers  has said similar on this thread already and that incident today summed it up for me.  

I don't dislike Mowbray and the situation is not entirely his fault but He, Venus and Waggott have the running of the club to themselves and I don't think its a healthy situation. We should be showing far more appitite than we did today - nobody looked particularly bothered about anything.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

I covered that by writing that they are already extremely wealthy. This wealth, combined with an ingrained lack of ambition and fear of performing at a higher level entirely negates the lure of a promotion bonus. It isn't 1983 at Rovers anymore. They are being paid more than they could possibly spend compared to the likes of, for example Baz Rathbone and Terry Gennoe.  Both of whom would have given their right one to have a crack at the top flight by the way.

I do agree with your comments today,

The only thing in the player's defence is the total confusion that Mowbray's tombola selection process, tactics and ever-changing formations produces.

The result is they play as if new to seeing a football and each other whilst he stands looking forlorn on the sidelines.

He remains however in one of the safest jobs in English football.

What a fuck up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAK said:

Hate to say it but Gallagher looked a far better player under Coyle.

Which remains the only semi-decent season Gallagher has ever had.

To give him a break and show what a nice honest and open person I am just like our manager I will ignore his contribution to our relegation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

though im`e not sure with this coaching set up,they would probably **** up lionel messi if he played for us

Yep, he'd have to spend several months in the under 23's learning to play "the Rovers way" and "hold his position".

None of that bursting forward and trying to score goals nonsense.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We've been tactically killed off in the last 3 games when you go on a run in this league that's what can happen. Other sides go out to stop you so you either meet fire with fire, step up another gear if you can or come up with plan b.

Our plan b is just try and catch them out by swapping a load of players and deploying them in odd positions. It just adds to our problems though as we are so disjointed, unbalanced and not gelled. We caught Hudds cold early just like we started bright v Wigan but once both sides got to grips after about 10 mins that was it.

Then we entering the muddled zone of switch formation, make a sub switch again, concede switch again, another sub switch again.

Sick and tired of seeing this to be honest, god knows what the players think although a lot won't bother if they get a run and an appearance bonus. That's part of the reason he does it i'm convinced.  It's only our resolve saves us from some spankings late on i games, thankfully.

I agree we have only one effective way to play - patiently pass it through the middle. If teams press us and out muscle us that goes out the window.

Therefore as you say a plan B is required. Theoretically we should have a long ball option to Gallagher but we dont as he cannot for the life of him hold up the ball. And we cant get it wide as we have no wide players. 

I think we're just going to have to give Chapman or JRC a whirl and see how it goes. And try and get some cash together to sign a striker who has a decent scoring record and can trap a ball. No idea where we get that cash from. Nor do I trust Mowbray to find that striker. But I can't see what our other options are.

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Things TM did that cost us the game:

- Bell on at half time?
- Rothwell off and a defender on?
- Graham (only fecker who can score) off?
- Buckley not brought off?

Things TM couldn’t control but also cost us the game: 

- Bradley Johnson’s performance
- Sam Gallagher’s Performance
- John Buckley’s Footballing ability And lack thereof
- Marking at the set piece leaving two biggest attackers wide open

Overall, just absolute shit. 2 pts from Wigan, Birmingham and Huddersfield is relegation form, Mowbray is just lucky we’ve gathered enough points with Dack to avoid a relegation fight at any stage.

In fairness we can totally point fingers at Mowbray for the marking, surely we had planned who marked who.

However in my opinion Bell did more than Rothwell in an attacking sense, used the ball better and got to the byline with a couple of decent cut backs, all I recall Rothwell doing is running into defenders a couple of times 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colt Seavers said:

Your original post was an excellent one, to which I'll respond separately.

Imo you are quite right. The hunger jus isn't there. Having got to within touching distance of the play off positions they should have been like lions fed on raw meat before the Wigan game but there was no passion intensity or desire, nothing, prior to the last 20 mins. The game against Brum I thought was even worse when they should have been doubly determined to rectify the wrongs of the Wigan game.

• Like 3

I just wanted to say that after years of people saying the posters on here are negative whatever’s and the associated bad press it so often gets, the reaction to yesterday’s result has been the most measured Iv seen in comparison to other outlets and social media.

Of course we’re all disappointed.

Happy New year everyone!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DE. said:

Honestly I'd say it's more a Rovers trait at this point than Mowbray specific. We were dealing with the same shit under Bowyer. Our form wasn't quite as dramatically polarised as it is under Mowbray but the same basic problem of not winning matches where we would be considered the better side was still prevelent. Our form suddenly imploding when within touching distance of the playoffs was also happening regularly during Bowyer's spell. It's a mental issue which has afflicted the club for some time. A combination of bringing in soft lads and employing soft managers. The talent is there but the desire and will to push beyond the boundaries and refuse to accept mediocrity just isn't. 

There is one constant in all of this and as I have stated many times, we will never succeed under these owners. 

After the win at Bristol City and the draw V Swansea, we looked like we had turned a corner and were in with a real chance of getting somewhere. A real big rallying cry and some sort of impetus, to give us the boost to get what we should have been able to from the following 3 games would have now left us sitting pretty. Instead of that, we got the tame insipid performances V Wigan and Brum and the surrender yesterday. A two point return from those 3 fixtures tells you all you need to know about our structure. The foundations are not there and although we have them shored up now and then, eventually the cracks appear again and we return to type.

This  will never change under this ownership, no matter how man false dawns there are.

Edited by lraC
  • Like 4