BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forest V Rovers

54 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm struggling to think of one positive from the shambles today. If there is a possibility of sending Walton back to Brighton I would do it. He is so brittle and his decision making is worse than Raya's not to mention his awful distribution. I'm sure Lenihan has an anvil for a head as the ball doesn't half come off his head at some funny angles. Tosin wasn't much better. Both full backs were appalling and in midfield Downing was the only player who got anywhere near the standard required. Our strikers were frankly embarrassing. 

Mowbray is blaming errors and whilst that is true the close scoreline today papers over lots of cracks. The buck stops with him and he just doesn't have the answers. We have no footballing identify despite him being here nearly three years and spend upwards of £15m. I have always said he is Mr Average, a mid table shoe in type but after the last four games I believe we are regressing and will be in a relegation scrap.

Agree with so much of this.  I thought Downing tried to use the ball to get Bell free on the left but he simply doesn't have the ability or confidence to attack the space that was there for him to run into.  Downing was the only player who looked anywhere near the level of team looking for a play-off place.

Walton looks a panic solution to Raya leaving and is simply one of the worst goalkeepers I've seen as a regular starter for Rovers.  The only positive about Walton is that he is not our player and we can get shot as soon as possible - I would much prefer Fisher or Hilton being given a chance at this point, even Leutwiler can't be worse than this guy and I must admit that I don't really rate him. 

Quite how Rothwell managed to avoid the hook I'll never know.  He is well and truly in "headless chicken" mode in terms of running around with no end product.  He should have been hauled off after presenting Forest with their third goal.

As for Brereton - what can you say?  I feel sorry for the lad.  He is clearly not up to it and I suspect would struggle to win a place in a League One side.

Basically, I thought we looked awful today and the substitution of Travis seemed a strange one to say the least.

I believe Mowbray, over the course of a full season, would keep us up but some of his signings have left a lot to be desired.  Ultimately, it is on Brereton and Gallagher - the non-scoring duo - that Mowbray will be judged and at the moment they both look dreadful signings.  I still believe he will keep us well away from relegation and in mid to lower mid-table.  With our present financial situation I'm not sure if we can expect much else.

With the financial situation dire, and a transfer embargo no doubt just around the corner I suspect we are in for a few difficult years.  Not the first time we have been in this situation but that doesn't make it any easier to take.  We can only hope that the Academy can keep producing players we need as I suspect we are not going to be spending much in the near future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I'm struggling to think of one positive from the shambles today. If there is a possibility of sending Walton back to Brighton I would do it. He is so brittle and his decision making is worse than Raya's not to mention his awful distribution. I'm sure Lenihan has an anvil for a head as the ball doesn't half come off his head at some funny angles. Tosin wasn't much better. Both full backs were appalling and in midfield Downing was the only player who got anywhere near the standard required. Our strikers were frankly embarrassing. 

Mowbray is blaming errors and whilst that is true the close scoreline today papers over lots of cracks. The buck stops with him and he just doesn't have the answers. We have no footballing identify despite him being here nearly three years and spend upwards of £15m. I have always said he is Mr Average, a mid table shoe in type but after the last four games I believe we are regressing and will be in a relegation scrap.

Made me chuckle that (in a gallows humour way). I thought you meant he had very powerful headers that you wouldn’t want to get in the way of. Back in the day we called that a “Ten-Bob ‘ead”! (Even though I’m only old enough for 50ps)

Just now, Parsonblue said:

Agree with so much of this.  I thought Downing tried to use the ball to get Bell free on the left but he simply doesn't have the ability or confidence to attack the space that was there for him to run into.  Downing was the only player who looked anywhere near the level of team looking for a play-off place.

Walton looks a panic solution to Raya leaving and is simply one of the worst goalkeepers I've seen as a regular starter for Rovers.  The only positive about Walton is that he is not our player and we can get shot as soon as possible - I would much prefer Fisher or Hilton being given a chance at this point, even Leutwiler can't be worse than this guy and I must admit that I don't really rate him. 

Quite how Rothwell managed to avoid the hook I'll never know.  He is well and truly in "headless chicken" mode in terms of running around with no end product.  He should have been hauled off after presenting Forest with their third goal.

As for Brereton - what can you say?  I feel sorry for the lad.  He is clearly not up to it and I suspect would struggle to win a place in a League One side.

Basically, I thought we looked awful today and the substitution of Travis seemed a strange one to say the least.

I believe Mowbray, over the course of a full season, would keep us up but some of his signings have left a lot to be desired.  Ultimately, it is on Brereton and Gallagher - the non-scoring duo - that Mowbray will be judged and at the moment they both look dreadful signings.  I still believe he will keep us well away from relegation and in mid to lower mid-table.  With our present financial situation I'm not sure if we can expect much else.

With the financial situation dire, and a transfer embargo no doubt just around the corner I suspect we are in for a few difficult years.  Not the first time we have been in this situation but that doesn't make it any easier to take.  We can only hope that the Academy can keep producing players we need as I suspect we are not going to be spending much in the near future.

Blimey Parson, it's because of Mowbray we'll soon be running into FFP difficulties. It's not some unavoidable unfortunate situation that's been foisted on him.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

If the most level headed and rational poster, parson, is this negative, then today must have been bad. 

• Like 4

That is the best post I’ve seen in a long time Revidge, bang on the money.

Its an absolute shambles, lucky to have as many points on the board at this point. Without at least three solid signings, the second half of the season looks scary. 

Edited by Fraserkirky

I must be the only one but I thought Brereton had a few bright moments.  Lacking confidence, some of which is no doubt brought on by Mowbary's handling of him.  He did anger me twice when there was a loose ball in their half, both times with a bit of effort he would have won the ball but he shit out.

I thought the performance was.not bad, Forest scored with their 1'st shot.  Walton is just horrible and cost us the game today.  Why he had a mind to do what he did was insanity in a nutshell.

Holtby not playing again, being me I think Holtby has been given the watch Evans speech and his reaction was probably to roll on the floor laughing.  Chapman looked brighter today.

Our passing at times is horrendous, all these fellas do is kick a football and they can't lay in a pass for a forward to run on to.  The number of times promising moves broke down because the intended target had to back track to get the ball was mind boggling.  Our players can't trap or control a ball, a bouncing ball seems to create panic, I just don't get it.

One more thing, someone correct me if I am wrong, no Bennett winning streak, Bennett returns after being under ToMo's desk, losing streak.

Edited by USABlue
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Made me chuckle that (in a gallows humour way). I thought you meant he had very powerful headers that you wouldn’t want to get in the way of. Back in the day we called that a “Ten-Bob ‘ead”! (Even though I’m only old enough for 50ps)

Bob ead. Hehe. Nice one Stewie.

39 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I agree with more of this than I disagree with. I do think though that “Mowbray can keep us up” is damning with feint praise to say the least! The target is - and must be - top 6 or it is failure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wood26 said:

I find it hard to blame the manager today when we score 2 goals away from home against one of the top teams and have 67% possession. Our goalkeeper killed us when we were in the game with 2 bad decisions/mistakes.

Added to this we have the 2nd most clean sheets in the league, when a major criticism of Mowbray in summer was not sorting the defence.

Problem is that, as I've said before when I think we were about 12-15 games in and ran the stats, we seem to do better in games where we have LESS possession. We are not a good possession team, as we can't find ways to break down opposition that sit off and cluster tightly. We are better when we play counter attacking, as a general rule. The more possession we have, it seems the worse we do. I can't be arsed to go over the stats again but it doesn't seem like too much has changed. And THAT you can blame the manager for. He seems to think keeping the ball is more important than being effective with it. He also signed our shocking goalkeeper.

Astonished to hear that we have the second most clean sheets though, that's an achievement. I'm thinking nearly all of that came during our good run where we tightened up. Problem is, last couple of games the cracks are creeping in there again, with 2 and 3 conceded. We shouldn't be scoring 2 away and coming home with nothing.

New keeper, priority number one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Waggy76 said:

The fact that Walton is at best 4th choice at Brighton , says it all ...

Just like Steele who was 3rd or fourth choice at Boro.  They have the same old agents still rooting around for cheap potential who they might sign for a modest fee, get a load of games into and punt on.  

Not the thing you should be doing in the goalkeeper position if your aim is to be successful but it's same old same old at Rovers under this lot. Waste money by the millions with on hand and penny pinch and try and make money with the other.

Just now, bluebruce said:

Problem is that, as I've said before when I think we were about 12-15 games in and ran the stats, we seem to do better in games where we have LESS possession. We are not a good possession team, as we can't find ways to break down opposition that sit off and cluster tightly. We are better when we play counter attacking, as a general rule. The more possession we have, it seems the worse we do. I can't be arsed to go over the stats again but it doesn't seem like too much has changed. And THAT you can blame the manager for. He seems to think keeping the ball is more important than being effective with it. He also signed our shocking goalkeeper.

Astonished to hear that we have the second most clean sheets though, that's an achievement. I'm thinking nearly all of that came during our good run where we tightened up. Problem is, last couple of games the cracks are creeping in there again, with 2 and 3 conceded. We shouldn't be scoring 2 away and coming home with nothing.

New keeper, priority number one.

Whilst I agree we are better out of possession, hence why we struggle against Wigan, Charlton etc at home, it’s hard to tell the team not to have it. We had the ball and were doing well, then our GK had an awful 5 mins and we are 2-0 down.

Early in the game, first half, I thought we looked dangerous wide trying to cross it, issue was our best striker was on the bench. Had no faith in Bereton scoring a header or getting on a chance at all.

Edited by Wood26

1 hour ago, Wood26 said:

I know what you mean, I’d rather Raya.

And trust me I’m not blindly defending Mowbray, but did he want to sell Raya? Or did he have to? Same with Brereton.

Why would any manager sell a GK and only get a loan replacement makes no sense.

I believe we had a decent GK lined up in the summer and he was ready to sign but eventually the a decision was made to spend the kitty on Gallagher.

Who's decision that was is another question.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Blimey Parson, it's because of Mowbray we'll soon be running into FFP difficulties. It's not some unavoidable unfortunate situation that's been foisted on him.

This is the excuses that get made for him along with the old project fear when it comes to replacement.

It's now don't worry TM will keep us up when to most it's been TM is holding us back with his needless antics and poor recruitment. He can't live off instant promotion forever. but ironically his own failings over the last 18 months are the very things that will keep him in a job.

• Like 2

Just now, Crimpshrine said:

I believe we had a decent GK lined up in the summer and he was ready to sign but eventually the a decision was made to spend the kitty on Gallagher.

Who's decision that was is another question.

Gallagher and Walton came in via the same agent......

Seems in the end a two for one old boys job again was more appealing.

• Like 1

This is a good forum for us to come on and let our frustrations on the game that just happened.

After the first 2 games whilst it was negative I was still okay as I saw how we played and knew we would be better the Charlton come May and that we could stand up against Fulham, same as WBA.

Then we went shit, and when I lost hope we went on a run that reminded me of my earlier confidence.

The Xmas period has been a disaster, but we are still in the mix. 

I still think we are a good enough side for play offs, 2nd most clean sheets in the league if we can find a goal scorer (Graham hopefully) then we still got a shot.

Just now, Wood26 said:

I still think we are a good enough side for play offs, 2nd most clean sheets in the league if we can find a goal scorer (Graham hopefully) then we still got a shot.

Wow. 

I thought Chaddy were blue and white tinted specs but in terms of groundless optimism that statement takes some beating.

I'd like a pint of whatever you're drinking though!

?

• Like 1

Just now, Wood26 said:

This is a good forum for us to come on and let our frustrations on the game that just happened.

After the first 2 games whilst it was negative I was still okay as I saw how we played and knew we would be better the Charlton come May and that we could stand up against Fulham, same as WBA.

Then we went shit, and when I lost hope we went on a run that reminded me of my earlier confidence.

The Xmas period has been a disaster, but we are still in the mix. 

I'll have some of whatever you're having. We are garbage. Best two players out for the season. Useless strikers who don't score. Fullbacks who can't attack or defend. Midfielders who offer no goal threat. A crap goalkeeper. A manager who doesn't know his best eleven. We are the definition of mediocrity. A team of bottlers with no spine, no heart, no fight. Twelve million spent on two useless strikers with a pitiful record and pathetic goal threat. A manager who recommended his boss so there is no prospect of accountability. No prospect of a change when the fans are fed up of constant dismal performances whenever there is a smell of success. Turn off the lights. It's not our a Rovers anymore. Just a pale imitation. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Gallagher and Walton came in via the same agent......

Seems in the end a two for one old boys job again was more appealing.

And this says it all. Walton is crap. Gallagher is crap. Gallagher was crap three years ago and he's even worse now which is some achievement. Why would anyone sign them? Oh because we are still entrenched with dodgy agents. It's a disgrace. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bohinen 22 said:

I'll have some of whatever you're having. We are garbage. Best two players out for the season. Useless strikers who don't score. Fullbacks who can't attack or defend. Midfielders who offer no goal threat. A crap goalkeeper. A manager who doesn't know his best eleven. We are the definition of mediocrity. A team of bottlers with no spine, no heart, no fight. Twelve million spent on two useless strikers with a pitiful record and pathetic goal threat. A manager who recommended his boss so there is no prospect of accountability. No prospect of a change when the fans are fed up of constant dismal performances whenever there is a smell of success. Turn off the lights. It's not our a Rovers anymore. Just a pale imitation. 

Did you feel same after Bristol away? Nyambe and Cunningham are injured, as Dack, which can not be helped.

We were dead and buried for league 1 and Mowbray got us our first time of asking. Look at Sunderland and Portsmouth. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I agree with more of this than I disagree with. I do think though that “Mowbray can keep us up” is damning with feint praise to say the least! The target is - and must be - top 6 or it is failure.

We are a long, long way off top six material in my opinion Stuart and, as you know, I always like to have a positive outlook on life.  With the best will in the world we are mid-table and no more.  The signings we've made simply haven't delivered what was expected of them - and yes that's down to management as much as the players.  The more I see of Brereton the more I wonder about his signing - particularly for £6 million - even if the money is spread over a number of years.  I suspect that the plan was to sell Dack in January to make additions to the team - that plan is clearly in ruins.

With the financial situation as it is and a possible transfer embargo on the horizon, I'm at a loss as to how we do anything other than survive at Championship level at the moment.

• Like 2

Just now, Wood26 said:

Did you feel same after Bristol away? Nyambe and Cunningham are injured, as Dack, which can not be helped.

We were dead and buried for league 1 and Mowbray got us our first time of asking. Look at Sunderland and Portsmouth. 

Please turn it in about Sunderland and Pompey there's several other reasons we aren't like them. I'd say more parallels with Charlton to be honest.

There;s likely only one way all this will end and that will be a Bolton scenario and Mowbray nor anyone else will be about to stop that. That's why it is imperative whilst we still have some backing we don't waste what money and chances are available.

• Like 2