BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forest V Rovers

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didnt watch today,but sounds like tosin was poor again. He was awful the other day. Maybe not the messiah

When Mowbray selected a consistent team we did well, and players like Adarabioyo were a part of that. When Dack was suspended, instead of keeping the team the sand and simply playing a different player in Dack’s role, he started meddling and hasn’t stopped since.

We now look like we did when he used to meddle before the recent great, if short, spell. That’s no coincidence. We have gone from 5 wins in 6 to 1 win in 6 and are in free fall down the form table - and against teams that we should have been getting points from.

• Like 4

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Didnt watch today,but sounds like tosin was poor again. He was awful the other day. Maybe not the messiah

Didn't really do much wrong today, he was uncharacteristically sloppy against Huddersfield and just seemed a bit rusty in fairness. 

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He posted a 10 year recap on instagram yesterday. Every year of the decade he posted a pic of him in the jersey of the team he played with. So Rovers were there for 2019, but then for 2020 he had a question mark. I just found it odd. Maybe I'm getting too suspicious about everything 

Anything is possible , he may not be playing to engineer a move ....Maybe it was him to West Brom ??

Just now, Stuart said:

When Mowbray selected a consistent team we did well, and players like Adarabioyo were a part of that. When Dack was suspended, instead of keeping the team the sand and simply playing a different player in Dack’s role, he started meddling and hasn’t stopped since.

We now look like we did when he used to meddle before the recent great, if short, spell. That’s no coincidence. We have gone from 5 wins in 6 to 1 win in 6 and are in free fall down the form table - and against teams that we should have been getting points from.

That's pretty much it. Hes an awfully frustrating man to be honest. 

• Like 3

Just now, Stuart said:

The most frustrating and confusing manager of the last 30 odd years bar none.

Some have been dire others tried but out their depth. Then there was King rat in a league of his own. This fella though ....

Just now, Ossydave said:

He said his injury was fatigue related, which as ridiculous as it sounds wouldn't see him walking about on crutches

Holtby post a pic after every game of him at home with some cast on his legs, must have an ongoing niggle of some sort.

Just now, Wood26 said:

Holtby post a pic after every game of him at home with some cast on his legs, must have an ongoing niggle of some sort.

He does indeed. However I would imagine he is frustrated at how he has been handled. Very little game time and used in different position,plus the worst was not just putting him in Dacks position. The amount of people on Twitter and instagram who were saying to him that he would be there. It just seemed the logical move  as @Stuart mentioned though mowbray has gone full mowbray and tied himself up in a hoop over complicating things since Dack got injured. 

• Like 1

Very frustrating game.

Walton - disastrous signing, threw two in the net today. He looks weak at everything he does.

Bennett - clearly not a right back but another assist today

Lenihan - did ok today. I liked how he pushed forward in the last 15.

Tosin - is it just me that thinks he hasn’t looked up for it the last two games? The cross for the first goal was in his wheelhouse but he made no effort at all, and was nowhere neAr his man for the third.

Bell - done for the first but I thought did OK thereafter as a wingback,

Armstrong - no real threat but for our first he did what he has done a few times (and Rothwell never does) in finding a man open in the box.

Travis - usual, no idea what taking him off achieved

Evans - good game, shame he didn’t put his chance away but it was a decent save.

Downing - good, apart from not taking a yellow for their 3rd

Rothwell - instigator of every Forest counterattack, including the game winner. He gives the ball away too often and too easily when we are attacking.

Brereton - I thought he did OK down the middle tbh. He comes short and kept a few good moves going near their box. No sign of being a predatory striker though.

Chapman - looked better than at Huddersfield but in truth was no more effective out there than Bell had been doing.

Gallagher - did he do anything?

Graham - did he even touch the ball?

Mowbray - awful. Rothwell going to right back was a new low.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Does Dack attend games? He seems to be having a nice time anyway,spending lots of time with the missus going off instagram. 

I fear we have seen the beat of him

He's just had a career threatening injury. Cut the lad some slack. It's no biggie if the manager has allowed him a few weeks away 

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

Rothwell - instigator of every Forest counterattack, including the game winner. He gives the ball away too often and too easily when we are attacking.

Worth nothing he made both goals for us today, but he needs to stop losing possession

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 1

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Worth nothing he made both goals for us today, but he needs to stop losing possession

Having you watched Rothwell when he doesn't have the ball? I've never seen a player like him tear around at great speed trying to close people down - all to no great effect whatsoever.

I dont think we were anywhere near as bad as we were v Huddersfield, but still another poor performance and very disappointing defeat. I would challenge how without Dack how even the most positive of supporters could suggest that this squad of players built by Mowbray could get anywhere near the play offs.

I thought central midfield was the most functional area of the team, with Downing easily our best player. Superb goal, some brilliant passes although his set pieces are not particularly good and there were a couple of examples of either tired or quite simply lazy play, notably in the build up to the third. Evans is a neat and tidy player but hes not a leader or a player who grabs a game by the scruff of the neck, and he should have scored in the first half, poor finish. Travis was ok too until he went off.

Its either side of this where we have a problem, mainly ahead for me. Our attacking players without Dack simply do not score nearly enough, yes in the last 4 games (in which Dack played just over half of one) we have scored a penalty, a scruffy own goal and a good goal by Downing but he wont score more than 4 or 5 a season. Brereton was totally anonymous, like Gallagher people will focus on the short period he stupidly was played wide but he was non existent in the first half, he doesnt get himself involved at all and often when we had the ball in attacking positions, he was out near the touchline or nowhere near the box. Armstrong was fairly non existent too, he does chip in with occasional goals and to be fair got another handy assist today but otherwise he goes into hiding. If he increases that goal and assist output then maybe he could get away with it more. Rothwell is an enigma, constantly giving the ball away, notably leading to the third goal and he laboured back for the first too. That said, something he doesnt usually do is contribute to goals and whilst he didnt directly today, he was integral to the build up to both goals so fair play for that. Gallagher is shite and didnt do anything, no surprise, and I dont know if Graham had a kick either. Chapman was much brighter but frustratingly on the wrong side, put in our best corner and was just much more positive, running and getting crosses in.

Full backs are just diabolical, Bell constantly puts no pressure on wingers allowing them to get crosses in, as demonstrated perfectly for the first goal. He is also brainless going forward. Bennett is rash, often dives in and gives away fouls when we are on the attack ruining any momentum, and often out of position. I dont think the centre backs were necessarily directly responsible for the goals but neither can say they had a good game when the side conceded 3. And of course Walton was directly responsible for 2 goals, shocking.

The Birmingham game represents a big conundrum, after that it isnt a busy schedule, and I definitely want to progress in the cup for 2 reasons, of course to end our run without a win and mainly because with no chance of the play offs realistically IMO and with little chance of being dragged into a scrap, we could do with some excitement in our season. But then again, on the back of the run of games we have had, 2 or 3, notably Lenihan and Downing may need a break, and Holtby and Travis IMO belong in our best 11 without Dack, but even if they could play it may be better to not risk them from the start. Equally, I dont see the point in starting the likes of Buckley and Brereton, who quite clearly arent capable of contributing at this stage, so I think I would go for something like this:

Walton

Rankin Costello Adarabioyo Williams Bell (no alternative, unless Hart could play?)

Travis

Evans Johnson

Chapman Graham Rothwell

We need to strive for consistency, I think this is the best side we could name as it stands going into the PNE game, but we need a couple of signings before then, someone to get us goals, and someone to play LB:

Walton

Nyambe Lenihan Adarabioyo Downing

Travis

Evans Holtby

Armstrong Graham Rothwell

(maybe Chapman in for Armstrong)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Its brutal isnt it? I've been thinking about it recently. It's a stackable offence. What a ludicrous bit of business. Why did he actually sign him? I would live to know what made him do it. I reckon we missed out on Freeman and he had to spend to money so went off basically 1 performance against arsenal. There is absolutely no way we were scouting him beforehand. 

If Freeman had have been signed I doubt that we would have gone anywhere near Brererton.

• Like 1

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Running into blind alleys and giving away possession is the sum total of Rothwell's game. Very occasionally it comes off but that doesnt make up for the 100 occasions that it gives away possession and sets up a counterattack. Rothwell has had more than enough oportunities but it's baked into his game that he can't change.He should be released at the end of season. 

Very odd game... We totally dominated and should have won easily on territory and possession. After the 30th minute Forest let us have the ball over and over again, and we used it pretty well through the middle and out wide.

That said in both boxes we were abysmal. All 3 of their goals were easily preventable. With better finishing they would have scored 5.

In their box while we created chance after chance no one got on the end of them, or if they did they couldn't finish Downing apart.

Sort of game which you would be disappointed by but take a lot of encouragement from early in a managers reign as you would see the poor defending and finishing as "fixable problems". But we've seen this so many times, and Mowbray does not seem to have an effective plan to remediate.

Time to go To Mo.

• Like 1

brereton is the worst signing in rovers history,never in my football watching life have i seen a pro player who is difficient in every department,it`s astonishing how he managed to make it to this level,i`ve seen some poor players in my time,but in every instance,they`ve been terrible but have always had one good attribute,chris brown for example,a shocking player but at least he tried and was a good header of the ball,luke varney,terrible,but at least he could pass the ball,ashley ward,a carthorse but could always control a football and hold it up,brereton can`t do anything,he looks like he belongs on whitton park

• Like 4