BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forest V Rovers

1 minute ago, Hasta said:

The logic behind the  Brereton transfer is incredibly sound. Young English striker. Develop him, get him to perform a bit in the Championship and then sell him on for a tidy profit.

The problem is that we were the club that he got moved on to whilst Forest got the profit !

There just one thing missing in this master plan - The player concerned needs to have some ability to start with. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

There just one thing missing in this master plan - The player concerned needs to have some ability to start with. 

Obviously not if you can find a mug buyer.

Edited by Hasta

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, Hasta said:

The logic behind the  Brereton transfer is incredibly sound. Young English striker. Develop him, get him to perform a bit in the Championship and then sell him on for a tidy profit.

The problem is that we were the club that he got moved on to whilst Forest got the profit !

To be honest I think the logic kind of falls apart when you're talking £7m. That's a big risk on a young player who may or may not make it. It's a great strategy if you're spending smaller amounts, Dack as an example at just £750k. At this level Brereton's fee should be reserved for the type of player who can come in and make an instant impact, not a future prospect.

Certainly made logical sense from Forest's perspective though. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

• Like 8

Just now, DE. said:

To be honest I think the logic kind of falls apart when you're talking £7m. That's a big risk on a young player who may or may not make it. It's a great strategy if you're spending smaller amounts, Dack as an example at just £750k. At this level Brereton's fee should be reserved for the type of player who can come in and make an instant impact, not a future prospect.

Certainly made logical sense from Forest's perspective though. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

Exactly. My point being that it is Forest who carried out the logical masterplan.

I,d rather have took a punt on 3 or 4 from the lower leagues at 750k

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Hasta said:

Exactly. My point being that it is Forest who carried out the logical masterplan.

I,d rather have took a punt on 3 or 4 from the lower leagues at 750k

Yep, although in Forest's case Brereton was a free transfer after Stoke released him, so it's not like they even paid anything for him initially. Pure profit. I bet they couldn't believe their luck. 

• Like 1

Just now, DE. said:

Yep, although in Forest's case Brereton was a free transfer after Stoke released him, so it's not like they even paid anything for him initially. Pure profit. I bet they couldn't believe their luck. 

And we keep on giving, like today. We are a shell of what we were BTL (before the loons). I  genuinely believe groundhog day/week/year/decade will continue until the day they leave. I hate them, and what they have done. Rich fools, with no remorse for destroying Jack's legacy. Liars.

Edited by Proudtobeblue&white
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

There is 0 chance he will get sacked. Absolutely none. He can just point to us being 4 points off the play offs. 

We will probably lose most games now in jan. Then go one  run in feb,maybe into march. Then another bad run will hit and we will end up at the bottom of the pile of those in the mix for the play offs. 

Nail on the head, all so depressingly predictable 

Time Mowbray went he has had long enough time to develop a pattern of play he wants the team to follow instead each game the team is set up to play a different system which totally confuses both the players and the supporters he spend millions on a young striker who clearly is not unto the job while the need for an experienced goal keeper and centre half is there for all to see.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

That kind of this does go on - or did - usually from clubs who want to avoid increased costs. Not beyond the realms though.

With tv money and parachute payments I dont see how any club would not want to get promoted. 

On a semi related though,IF my some miracle we did go up,I bet we wouldn't sign many,if any players. Mowbray would stick with what we have out of loyalty and we would get trounced. 

52 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

brereton is the worst signing in Rovers history,  in my football watching life have i seen a pro player who is difficient in every department,it`s astonishing how he managed to make it to this level,i`ve seen some poor players in my time,but in every instance,they`ve been terrible but have always had one good attribute,chris brown for example,a shocking player but at least he tried and was a good header of the ball,luke varney,terrible,but at least he could pass the ball,ashley ward,a carthorse but could always control a football and hold it up,brereton can`t do anything,he looks like he belongs on whitton park

That's a tad harsh, imo.

From my younger days standing in the enclosure under the old main stand, I could offer you Martin Britt. And from the post Premier League-winning era, how about Corrado Grabbi?

There's two who, off the top of my head could give Brereton a run for his money for the title you've awarded him.

Speaking from memory, we didn't do enough medical research into the fitness of Britt - or Allan Gilliver from the same era; the mid-1960s - before signing either. From what I've read about the width and depth of scouting research done on Brereton before we bought him, there seem to be echoes of that sort of skimpy work re-surfacing at Ewood.

Just now, m1st said:

That's a tad harsh, imo.

From my younger days standing in the enclosure under the old main stand, I could offer you Martin Britt. And from the post Premier League-winning era, how about Corrado Grabbi?

There's two who, off the top of my head could give Brereton a run for his money for the title you've awarded him.

Speaking from memory, we didn't do enough medical research into the fitness of Britt - or Allan Gilliver from the same era; the mid-1960s - before signing either. From what I've read about the width and depth of scouting research done on Brereton before we bought him, there seem to be echoes of that sort of skimpy work re-surfacing at Ewood.

At least Grabbi scored 

Just now, m1st said:

That's a tad harsh, imo.

Britt had been a top young player at West Ham but had done his knee so badly he could only jump for headers off one leg. He was a panic buy when we missed out on Colin Bell. . Gilliver had been another outstanding young striker but came with a disc injury that handicapped him so badly that ultimately he had a disc fusion operation. I know that because I used to see the same osteopath that he did. I believe Rovers wanted him not to have the op and just retire so they could get the insurance dosh. He wanted to carry on. After the op he had very little flexibility in his lower back and he wasn't the same player again.

Ironically, John Byrom, who we let go to sign Gilliver scored goals galore for Bolton subsequently.

At least the two of them could point to injuries handicapping them.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

47 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Involved in the build up to both goals would be more accurate imo, he hit a couple of decent passes but it was Armstrong, Downing and Bennett that did the creating goals bit. The number of times Rothwell either runs into traffic or hits blind passes straight to opponents when we are pushing forward is criminal.

Honestly complete nonsense.

He played the amazing ball for armstrong over the top and the cross field pass to bennett over the defense. 

You dislike him and your bias shows

• Like 1

Martin Britt cost £25,000 from West Ham, a fortune for Rovers at the time. He had a wonky knee (done his cruciate) and the Cockney wide boys must have been laughing all the way to the bank because he was a good player and they would never have let him go otherwise. Rovers acted like an amateur club in not checking him properly. Gilliver was a good player too but should never have had that back operation with 1960s operating technology. Grabbi could play but looked timid and way out of his depth. Brereton even fully fit is the worst of the 4.  

How, with the best will in the world, can any Rovers fan have any faith in the shower of shite that is pumping ridiculous amounts of money into the bottomless hole that keeps us afloat? They love the sycophants who are willing to trap up in Pune, their entourage, and beyond, and keep believing the nonsense they are being told? I'm applying for TM's job, because I'll do it for £100,000 a year, with a bonus for getting us up, and I will treat you all to reet good jobs down at Brockhall, and cheap seats at Ewood. There would be proper beer, decent food, and a bloody good atmosphere as the right bits of our ground would be given back to us, That is my manifesto!

• Like 6

Just now, CambridgeRover said:

Honestly complete nonsense.

He played the amazing ball for armstrong over the top and the cross field pass to bennett over the defense. 

You dislike him and your bias shows

He's generally a liabilty.

Gave the last goal away. Only bucked up playing at full back.

He can be exciting but the end product is usually running into trouble and losing it rather than passing.

He does make some good passes but generally his decision making is poor.

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

With tv money and parachute payments I dont see how any club would not want to get promoted. 

On a semi related though,IF my some miracle we did go up,I bet we wouldn't sign many,if any players. Mowbray would stick with what we have out of loyalty and we would get trounced. 

Club? No, club would not want to be promoted to the PL...

I'm struggling to think of one positive from the shambles today. If there is a possibility of sending Walton back to Brighton I would do it. He is so brittle and his decision making is worse than Raya's not to mention his awful distribution. I'm sure Lenihan has an anvil for a head as the ball doesn't half come off his head at some funny angles. Tosin wasn't much better. Both full backs were appalling and in midfield Downing was the only player who got anywhere near the standard required. Our strikers were frankly embarrassing. 

Mowbray is blaming errors and whilst that is true the close scoreline today papers over lots of cracks. The buck stops with him and he just doesn't have the answers. We have no footballing identify despite him being here nearly three years and spend upwards of £15m. I have always said he is Mr Average, a mid table shoe in type but after the last four games I believe we are regressing and will be in a relegation scrap.

13 minutes ago, m1st said:

Grabbi was out of his depth but he at least showed some technical skill. 

What are Brereton’s strengths? No one seems to know.

• Like 1