BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Forest V Rovers

1 hour ago, Amo said:

See Rothwell was getting slagged off yesterday but wasn't he involved for both of our goals? 

Attack-minded players will often frustrate and thrill in equal measure, but you stick with them because they're capable of moments of magic.

We should have straight-swapped Rothwell for Dack and kept more or less the same shape/personnel as before. 

To be fair, his problem is that he very rarely does have involment in goals. His goal and assist tally in his games played is really poor. Yesterday albeit he didnt directly score or assist he deserves credit for 2 very important passes in the build up. That of course doesnt remove any blame for the third goal when he lost the ball. He does need to start contributing far more when he does play and yesterday he was much better in that regard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

These sorts of things may be possible but if they don't proceed I think it will be down to people in India rather than the failings of anybody at Ewood Park.

Regarding FFP I think deals do have to look as if they are in line with market rates. I get the impression that the EFL are now under pressure from some clubs to look very hard at clubs who are trying to circumnavigate FFP - in particular Steve Gibson and Middlesbrough are prepared to threaten to take legal action

Absolutely it is down to those in India.

We've got billionaire owners who control a portfolio of many companies in many countries and beyond that must have daily dealings and good relationships with countless wealthy and powerful businesses and other millionaires/billionaires. Would it really be asking a lot for Balaji to have a word with one of his rich mates to buy some advertising boards or similar? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The endgame is avoiding FFP. 

In near 10 years of their ownership we haven't had a single shirt sponsor, advertising board, tie in, from any Indian companies.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We've got billionaire owners who control a portfolio of many companies in many countries and beyond that must have daily dealings and good relationships with countless wealthy and powerful businesses and other millionaires/billionaires. Would it really be asking a lot for Balaji to have a word with one of his rich mates to buy some advertising boards or similar? Seems perfectly reasonable to me. The endgame is avoiding FFP. 

In near 10 years of their ownership we haven't had a single shirt sponsor, advertising board, tie in, from any Indian companies.

Nothing wrong with what you suggest but for a Championship club would the sums involved - based on market rates - be significant ?

Hopefully Chapmans cameo opened Mowbrays eyes a bit when it comes to using at least one proper winger. He stretched the play, ran at people and put crosses into the box which is what we need. Ideal if Chapman can be the one to do it, not saying he was amazing for those who didn't watch (he was poor vs huddersfield) but it was a broadly positive appearance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, arbitro said:

That's akin to saying that Mowbray shouldn't be allowed to sign any more players because generally his signings haven't added value. After the last four games I really believe we will be in a relegation scrap and anything can happen. We are stagnant under Mowbray and I don't think he can turn this malaise around. We need some fresh ideas, some motivational techniques and a new pair of eyes. I said to you the other day that I would move Damien Johnson up and you disagreed which is your prerogative. There is growing concern about the direction we are going under Mowbray but your assertion about the elephant still in the room is absolutely correct. Venkys are slowly killing us.

That’s the only way he’s going to go in my opinion Tony, someone in India calls him to account for Brereton/Gallagher not delivering, which is substantially more likely after the Dack injury as he can’t credibly not play either of them.

5 hours ago, JoeH said:

Four games over this period and they've all been depressing in their own way. Forest capped it off though. First 40mins was the worst I've seen from us in years. Amari'i Bell was so bad he was getting booed by his own fans for his ridiculous and laughable inability to run forwards with a football. Sam Gallagher coming on after we all chant for Danny Graham, Joe Rothwell to right-back. We played without a goalkeeper for the first and third goal conceded, and Harry Chapman fell over again like he did at Huddersfield. Ben Brereton did nothing, Adarabioyo had a pretty poor game by his standards, Evans and Travis very quiet too...

Just nothing to latch onto where you can say "we can look forward to X or Y" from that Forest game. Nothing gave me confidence that there's a win coming.

This side is EXTREMELY lucky to have 36 points behind it already, because for me, we're going to struggle to hit 50 playing like this.

I thought Chapman made a difference, he should play on the right but he was positive running at his man and won a fair few set pieces, one of which he took and put in the most dangerous delivery for us all game. I know you dont seem to like him but he was an improvement on our performance.

Downings performance was a solitary positive but you are right that we are lucky to have 36 points, not that we dont deserve too as the table doesnt lie but without our sole attacking threat we are not going to worry teams.

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You are disagreeing with me which is your prerogative. Re League One that season saw us with a club record number of wins and points; I think to be finding fault there is a bit silly. Regarding the manager I've put forward reasons why I hold this view - they are summarised as 3 points above. I don't think we are where we are because of the reasoning of people like myself but rather because of utterly disastrous decision making about personnel and club structure in the early years of the Venky's ownership.

How often were we convincing? We had by far the best player in the league and squad. IMO we should’ve won the league. The league was ever weaker than it is now , it’s amateur level. Btw how did our marquee signing whittingham go that year? Think your sticking your head in the sand a bit if you can’t see blame on our playing style to mowbrays tactics and signings. We are awful to watch and support. Any run of wins is inevitably followed by defeats, it’s absolutely painful to support the club at the moment. Mowbray isn’t a guy I can get behind, there is no plan in place. The sticking players out of position is criminal 

• Like 4

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

How often were we convincing? We had by far the best player in the league and squad. IMO we should’ve won the league. The league was ever weaker than it is now , it’s amateur level. Btw how did our marquee signing whittingham go that year? Think your sticking your head in the sand a bit if you can’t see blame on our playing style to mowbrays tactics and signings. We are awful to watch and support. Any run of wins is inevitably followed by defeats, it’s absolutely painful to support the club at the moment. Mowbray isn’t a guy I can get behind, there is no plan in place. The sticking players out of position is criminal 

I'm more concerned with results than playing style but if you are not going to be happy with a record breaking season then I really don't understand why you bother with football in general and Blackburn Rovers in particular.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'm more concerned with results than playing style but if you are not going to be happy with a record breaking season then I really don't understand with football in general and Blackburn Rovers in particular.

Inevitably they go hand in hand eventually , can’t continue to grind out results like we were hence the reason we fall off a cliff when time comes and we pick up a few knocks/ tiredness. It was job done in league 1, it was nothing to be over enamoured with, we shouldn’t have been there in the first place 

4 hours ago, AdamRochina said:

Says alot that this morning my Forrest supporting mate text me asking me what the F have we done to Ben brereton ..oh dear 

An interesting point Adam.

I always remember Chris Sutton leaving us for Chelsea for £15m. We knew what a good player he was but his move to Stamford Bridge was a disaster. 
I remember seeing him on MOTD bearing down on goal in a one-on-one with the goalie and it was like watching Bambi on ice as he slipped and the ball gently rolled to the goalie. The Chelsea fans were laughing at him. He only lasted one season and then went to Celtic.

Some moves work out and some don’t. Football is very much a confidence thing. Brereton has ability and was a star in the making at Forest. He has international honours and has won an award from the Premier League.
Mick Rathbone reckoned he would be worth £45m!

Mowbray took a calculated gamble on him but at the moment his gamble doesn’t look very successful. Do we stick with him or send him out to regain his confidence?

For me I would play him for the next games but for sure the manager has a big decision to make.

5 hours ago, JHRover said:

Agree. We could sell a 3 year sponsorship on the stadium for £10 million and call it Venkyland.

I do wonder if it has already happened (all the Venky signs) but never announced and in next year's accounts.

There will be loads of scams we could pull if Babu actually did something creative.

8 hours ago, Amo said:

7 hours ago, Amo said:

See Rothwell was getting slagged off yesterday but wasn't he involved for both of our goals

Attack-minded players will often frustrate and thrill in equal measure, but you stick with them because they're capable of moments of magic.

We should have straight-swapped Rothwell for Dack and kept more or less the same shape/personnel as before. 

The Rothwell bashing is in full swing today too.

It makes me laugh and angry in turn.

Without him on the pitch we would have been scoreless and yet Bennett gets credit for an assist for an OG. I couldn't make that up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

An interesting point Adam.

I always remember Chris Sutton leaving us for Chelsea for £15m. We knew what a good player he was but his move to Stamford Bridge was a disaster. 
I remember seeing him on MOTD bearing down on goal in a one-on-one with the goalie and it was like watching Bambi on ice as he slipped and the ball gently rolled to the goalie. The Chelsea fans were laughing at him. He only lasted one season and then went to Celtic.

Some moves work out and some don’t. Football is very much a confidence thing. Brereton has ability and was a star in the making at Forest. He has international honours and has won an award from the Premier League.
Mick Rathbone reckoned he would be worth £45m!

Mowbray took a calculated gamble on him but at the moment his gamble doesn’t look very successful. Do we stick with him or send him out to regain his confidence?

For me I would play him for the next games but for sure the manager has a big decision to make.

Next to ability confidence is the most important ingredient in a player. When your confidence is low any player will struggle. I remember Ian Rush playing for Liverpool before he went to Italy. A long cross came over from the right wing, he was standing just outside the far corner of the penalty box. As the ball came to him he just instantly  volleyed the ball straight back left footed over the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the net. A tremendous shot that only a player with sky high confidence would even attempt. . I'd have brought the ball down and looked for somebody to pass to.

Not long after that he went to Italy for his ill advised move there.

Shortly after he came back and resigned for Liverpool I saw him get a similar ball to the one I mentioned earlier. He brought the ball down and looked for support. That supreme confidence had temporarily deserted him.

Having said that ability comes first and from what I've seen of Big Ben I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe we've signed a winner. As for £45 million ? Rathbone needs to go to Specsavers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Hopefully Chapmans cameo opened Mowbrays eyes a bit when it comes to using at least one proper winger. He stretched the play, ran at people and put crosses into the box which is what we need. Ideal if Chapman can be the one to do it, not saying he was amazing for those who didn't watch (he was poor vs huddersfield) but it was a broadly positive appearance.

Imagine if we could even get him on right wing so he can actually get balls across the goal!

I hope it works out for him and glad he has made it onto the field at long last (through default).  Similar to Travis when he was destined for the exit door but Smallwood got sent off.

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Agree. We could sell a 3 year sponsorship on the stadium for £10 million and call it Venkyland.

I do wonder if it has already happened (all the Venky signs) but never announced and in next year's accounts.

There will be loads of scams we could pull if Babu actually did something creative.

I bet he already has.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Imagine if we could even get him on right wing so he can actually get balls across the goal!

I hope it works out for him and glad he has made it onto the field at long last (through default).  Similar to Travis when he was destined for the exit door but Smallwood got sent off.

He does seemingly need some new boots though, slipping a lot against Huddersfield especially. Potentially a creative spark when we're badly lacking one so lets hope he stays fit and starts to make a name for himself again.

Only got a chance to watch the highlights earlier. Their first goal was odd to say the least, very soft. For a big lad Walton needs to be knocking lads out of his way. Their 2nd goal was kamikaze. I dont think Walton needed to come there. I think we need our own keeper. I'm not as anti Walton as many,but really what incentive is there for him not to just down tools here. At the end of the day he is leaving one way or another. I think Brighton will still rate him regardless of how he gets on here. He will probably be on loan somewhere else next year. 

Great finish by Downing for his goal. I would put him in the Dack role with Holtby centre mid. Downing actually has a brain. I noticed for their 3rd goal someone waltzed past him and he didnt have the gas to chase. He would get away with that more in Dacks role. Are there any other 36 year olds playing centre mid at this level?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

7 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I'm more concerned with results than playing style but if you are not going to be happy with a record breaking season then I really don't understand why you bother with football in general and Blackburn Rovers in particular.

Record breaking season??? We were in league 1 FFS. If we accrued that number of wins and points in the Championship then we could all walk around with a boner. 

• Like 2

And yea on walton, I think I’m pretty much done, I get that it’s a hard position, often thankless and for that I can forgo some mistakes, what I can’t tho is he gives me palpitations every match, I just never have confidence in him, and for a keeper that’s a bad trait. Next please 

• Like 3

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

And yea on walton, I think I’m pretty much done, I get that it’s a hard position, often thankless and for that I can forgo some mistakes, what I can’t tho is he gives me palpitations every match, I just never have confidence in him, and for a keeper that’s a bad trait. Next please 

My 11 year old is a keeper at Norwich City and I hate watching him play. It is the only position on the pitch that one simple error can be highlighted so badly. However Walton is truly awful. I thought he had improved of late but his showing against Forest was the worst I have seen from a keeper in many many years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Record breaking season??? We were in league 1 FFS. If we accrued that number of wins and points in the Championship then we could all walk around with a boner. 

I'm not really sure what records we actually broke given that we finished second to Wigan!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

My 11 year old is a keeper at Norwich City and I hate watching him play. It is the only position on the pitch that one simple error can be highlighted so badly. However Walton is truly awful. I thought he had improved of late but his showing against Forest was the worst I have seen from a keeper in many many years.

All the best to your laddie in the game, need to have a strong core to be a keeper, you pretty much get pelters and blame from the off, not to mention organising defence

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

All the best to your laddie in the game, need to have a strong core to be a keeper, you pretty much get pelters and blame from the off, not to mention organising defence

Nobody can lose you a game quicker than your goalkeeper. That's why you need the best one you can afford. When you have a Brad Freidel in goal it's worth a goal start.

• Like 2

A bit off topic regards Forrest game but I see Mowbray has now challenged Chapman to keep a place on the bench as players return from injury and stating that he has been in the squad due to lack of numbers.

To me that suggests that no matter how well he plays, he is not going to start as a regular.  What incentive is there for Chapman?

Mowbray's man management skills are abysmal at best.  I am certain that if I worked for a clown like that, it would only be for a very limited period.

• Like 4