BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston (home)

3 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Preston Nob End Online going orgasmic because they are bringing more to Ewood than we did to Dollopdale...it's piss funny!

You know you’re dealing with a small club that’s had no on-pitch success for most fans’ lifetimes (probably longer) when they’re obsessed with attendances and try and ‘get one over you’ that way. Very odd.

Burnley fans used to be the same until they got promoted (or I just see fewer of them these days). Always remember them talking about attendances and their away followings etc more than the football itself. 

• Like 2

Bang on. It’s a small time mentality of a bunch of fans who largely have no memory of top flight football. 

The Dingles had this wholly fantastical view that they had this vast fanbase waiting in the wings and they would have to ‘tarmac Pendle Hill’ if they ever got to the promised land. Not like us ‘with our crap support’ of you know, just the 25,000 average gates.

The reasons you rarely hear them banging on about crowds these days is that they now realise that a) the stuff they used to come out with has been proven as the bollocks it always was as they struggle to attract more than 17/18,000 home fans, and b.) they are one of the most profitable club’s in Europe feasting at the top table, so who cares?

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

Preston will win this game. Ewood atmosphere is abysmal. Anyone who went to Forest as I did and heard them signing just after the players walked out, we've not heard anything like that at Ewood in decades. Even the crowd against Oxford on the last day of League One wasn't comparable. I know Forest are a big club, but the reason they won that game, I believe, and started so brightly, is their fans were loud as anything, and sucked the ball into the net.

We don't have that. So when Preston and Leeds come with 4/5/6000 fans, we get outnumbered, not literally, but vocally. It's a shame, Huddersfield had a great atmosphere too in that corner, Stoke was a fairly dead atmosphere but at the time they were second bottom of the league table. Birmingham had about 7,000 fans on in the FA Cup but made more noise than we do at home games with 14,000.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Preston will win this game. Ewood atmosphere is abysmal. Anyone who went to Forest as I did and heard them signing just after the players walked out, we've not heard anything like that at Ewood in decades. Even the crowd against Oxford on the last day of League One wasn't comparable. I know Forest are a big club, but the reason they won that game, I believe, and started so brightly, is their fans were loud as anything, and sucked the ball into the net.

We don't have that. So when Preston and Leeds come with 4/5/6000 fans, we get outnumbered, not literally, but vocally. It's a shame, Huddersfield had a great atmosphere too in that corner, Stoke was a fairly dead atmosphere but at the time they were second bottom of the league table. Birmingham had about 7,000 fans on in the FA Cup but made more noise than we do at home games with 14,000.

The home crowd at Forest were good, but they scored because Walton had a couple of shockers.

I personally think our crowd and players might respond more when there is a full Darwen End rather than a thousand shoved upstairs out of the way, theres definitely no atmosphere that way. 

Leeds at home springs to mind last season,we were superb and thrived on it being a 20k gate.

I don't expect us to be up for Saturday though unfortunately, can see a 1-0 defeat 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Doesn't really stack up when you consider our home results v Leeds down the years.  In fact v a lot of clubs who used to have 5 k or more in that end.

Some crowds get at it from the off some don't. Interesting you mention Stoke that's a good example. Can be v loud and intimidating but when they are shut or just average it's dead ..unless the team gives them something to get behind 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Why doesn't the club encourage the fans to go to an unused part of the stadium... something like the DARWEN END; and not vilify people who pay to come support the team. And not feel the need to employ extra security so the cost of opening that section is economically unsound. 

I'm not saying the DE experiment was a total success... it ebbed and flowed alongside the fortunes of the club. 

But at least there was a fanbase who wanted to sing /cheer the team on (and to vent their displeasure at a rotting regime) 

Cramming everyone into the BBE, which i'm sure looks good on an accountants balance sheet, has failed to increase the atmosphere. 

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Those clubs you mention- Huddersfield and Forest, have made a deliberate sustained effort to improve the atmosphere at their grounds.

Let's not make out that they have always been good atmospheres. In 2012-13 as we came out of the Premier League Forest were barely getting 20,000 on. We played there on a Tuesday night 0-0 draw and that entire lower tier was empty other than 500 or so Rovers fans. Only in the last few years have Forest boosted numbers by good pricing and also placing the noisy fans right next to the away end.

Huddersfield were getting 10,000 on not long ago. Ground half empty and a poor atmosphere. Pioneering pricing, a bold and exciting appointment and the creation of a singing and flag waving section next to the away end at the expense of away numbers. Look what happens

No reason why we can't attempt similar but that's clearly not on the agenda here.

• Like 1

On 06/01/2020 at 14:55, JoeH said:

Walton

Lenihan   Tosin   Williams

Nyambe      Travis   Johnson      Downing

Armstrong    Graham    Rothwell

An interesting formation, negating some weaknesses and getting our better players in the team. Whilst it seems to have some merits we haven't done well with new formations which makes me worry about how we would do with it. Previous attempts of 3 at the back haven't gone well at all. 

Its not a long term solution with only 3 centre backs in the squad. Worry a bit too that Travis and Johnson would get outnumbered. 

That said it avoids the likes of Bereton z Bell and Bennett near the team which can only be good things. It also could see us get the best out of Downing- not a natural left back - and allows Tosin to push forward and use his composure on the ball more. 

No idea how this game will turn our (how's that for a prediction?) On form and paper we should lose but very often these games are ones we unexpectedly win. That said not being clear favourites whilst playing Preston is a rather shameful situation and a sign of our issues irrespective of the result.

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Preston have permanently signed Scott Sinclair. Excellent signing and one showing ambition. Would have loved him here.

Really is a great signing that, I get the impression we don't have money this window, I think the plan was flog dack and use that money

• Like 1

I'm amazed some are still under the impression we'd have sold Dack this window then spent the money !

Come on when was the last time that happened ?  When was the last time we did big business in January anyway ?  No way was that happening.

A) I think they'd have held him to summer to max out his value

B )  The money, guys, has already been spent.  Vs have had an overall almost balanced player sale v spend, can't see that changing.

Now, back to this game, it just seems to have swung in PKEs favour a bit more and no doubt they'll sell out their cup final now. Expect bother and a 1 pm again next season.

1 hour ago, PeteJD13 said:

Really is a great signing that, I get the impression we don't have money this window, I think the plan was flog dack and use that money

I'd say they've spent the Dack money on Gallagher and BB already and are truly fooked as he will walk on a free unless they get him tied up again sharpish 

• Like 1

Christ people are giving PNE far too much credit in here. Granted we've been shite last few games but so have they! They're arguably in worse form if anything. 

I'd be surprised if we see anything of Sinclair on Saturday, he's barely played this season unless he gets a 10 minute cameo. 

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd say they've spent the Dack money on Gallagher and BB already and are truly fooked as he will walk on a free unless they get him tied up again sharpish 

Yes I agree with this.

I've always thought the long term plan was to have Gallagher and Brereton up front from the 2020-2021 season, with Dack going this summer.

15 hours ago, Blue blood said:

An interesting formation, negating some weaknesses and getting our better players in the team. Whilst it seems to have some merits we haven't done well with new formations which makes me worry about how we would do with it. Previous attempts of 3 at the back haven't gone well at all. 

Its not a long term solution with only 3 centre backs in the squad. Worry a bit too that Travis and Johnson would get outnumbered. 

That said it avoids the likes of Bereton z Bell and Bennett near the team which can only be good things. It also could see us get the best out of Downing- not a natural left back - and allows Tosin to push forward and use his composure on the ball more. 

No idea how this game will turn our (how's that for a prediction?) On form and paper we should lose but very often these games are ones we unexpectedly win. That said not being clear favourites whilst playing Preston is a rather shameful situation and a sign of our issues irrespective of the result.

Can only remember us ever trying 3-at-the-back once, against Wigan in 18/19... we won 3-0.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We played it at Sheffield United and lost to the same score.

Ah well, it's not like Sheffield United are one of the top 10 teams in the country or anything ;)