BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston (home)

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, I think we are still some way off the fans turning on the manager in any sizeable numbers.  The away support seems firmly behind the manager and team during games despite the fact that there are doubts about certain players and the positions in which they play.  Likewise at Ewood, I've not really encountered people who are desperate for a change despite reservations about the present situation.  Mowbray is still well-liked by a large number of supporters despite what may be written on here.  

When fans wanted rid of Iley or Saxton, for example, there was no mistaking the hostility at the ground.  I think we are a long way off that sort of situation and I suspect you are right in that it will take something of that magnitude to change things.  However, as I said, I don't believe there is that sort of desire for change at the moment.

In the past the likes of Lee, Smith and Kendall have been able to use a spell at Ewood as a stepping stone to bigger things in management.  I suspect any young and up and coming manager today would be wary of taking on the Rovers.  The financial situation means they are likely to have no money to rebuild a squad which is a long way off being a top six outfit, let alone a top two side.   At the same time you have a fanbase where memories of the Premier League are still fresh and the desire to return is huge.  In the past expectation levels weren't as high because we had spent such a long time away from the top flight.  Indeed, if you had offered supporters in the early seventies the League position we are in today we'd have snapped your hand off!

The desire is huge because the very future of this club depends on it Parson. These aren't spoilt kids wanting their ball back, they are people who want their children and grandchildren to still have a club to support.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Exactly - and I bet there was some poor sod on the Ipswich messageboard telling the others there that they weren't going to get anyone better but they told him to shut up because there were better managers out there.

Sam Allardyce was a top manager, this fella just isn’t, so not a comparison I would make. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I was referring to McCarthy at Ipswich although I do remember people complaining about Allardyce - "hoofball" etc.

Of course, but they were a minority, most fans realised we had a top manager and it was unlikely we would get anyone better. A guru at keeping clubs like us competitive in the Premier League.

Fast forward and there is nobody out there for us better than Tony bloody Mowbray? Get out of it!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, but they were a minority, most fans realised we had a top manager and it was unlikely we would get anyone better. A guru at keeping clubs like us competitive in the Premier League.

Fast forward and there is nobody out there for us better than Tony bloody Mowbray? Get out of it!

I don't think there's nobody out there better - I think the owners wouldn't identify them/they won't want to take the job/they won't stay for long if they did

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think there's nobody out there better - I think the owners wouldn't identify them/they won't want to take the job/they won't stay for long if they did

Did anybody expect Mowbray... or Lambert?

For every Coyle there was the Lambert appointment which fans were happy with (initially) and TM has done a decent job on the whole. So why wouldn’t we appoint somebody decent?

Edited by Mattyblue

Mashed....what are your expectations of our Manager and where do you see Rovers in the next five years or so.What do you want for the club as a supporter..are you just content with mid table mediocrity forevermore?

How do you suggest the Club and fans can impart change for the better.Your stance baffles me.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There's a difference between sacking a manager who was making going to Ewood a chore and replacing him with the tea lady.

We were an established PL club, full of quality players, had average crowds of 25,000 and a cracking home record. More fool you!

The last decade has been ‘a chore’

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

Mashed....what are your expectations of our Manager and where do you see Rovers in the next five years or so.What do you want for the club as a supporter..are you just content with mid table mediocrity forevermore?

I want the club to be run well without micro management from thousands of miles away and without the fear that there is an absurd decision coming just around the corner. I think the manager - whoever it is - is probably hamstrung by policies regarding incoming transfers for any degree of significant fee being limited both in terms of the position of the player and their age whereas the manager's professional judgement should be employed to sign the players thought most likely to get the club in to the Premier League.

I hope that in next 5 years - indeed the next 5 minutes - the owners are gone and the club is once again run by people who understand how a football club should be run.

• Like 1

Hold my hands up, I wasn’t too disheartened by Allardyce’s sacking at the time. I got caught up in the new owners, ambitious haze that was going around. Thought if we were going to move forward we needed one of the new breed of foreign managers that were the craze at the time, mourinho, villas boas etc and sams football was dated and rigid. The appointment after was when it all went wrong and I’d have taken Allardyce back in a heartbeat after found out it was to be he who will not be named. What I did learn from that is to be a bit more patient and careful what I wish for. So despite this , I still strongly believe mowbrays time is up and it’s time to be more ambitious again. Hopefully venkys have also learned from past mistakes and get it right this time

7 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I want the club to be run well without micro management from thousands of miles away and without the fear that there is an absurd decision coming just around the corner. I think the manager - whoever it is - is probably hamstrung by policies regarding incoming transfers for any degree of significant fee being limited both in terms of the position of the player and their age whereas the manager's professional judgement should be employed to sign the players thought most likely to get the club in to the Premier League.

I hope that in next 5 years - indeed the next 5 minutes - the owners are gone and the club is once again run by people who understand how a football club should be run.

I agree with many of your comments but this Manager is no longer meeting the expectations of the fans..there can only be one outcome for the future good and progression of the Club.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194
  • Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Not much point to a messageboard that only allows one opinion.

This post finishes off a thread page that has 6 posts from you pretty much reiterating "one opinion".

I'm confused. Is that the opinion you want us to stop allowing?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silas said:

This post finishes off a thread page that has 6 posts from you pretty much reiterating "one opinion".

I'm confused. Is that the opinion you want us to stop allowing?  

4 of those 6 posts were replies to posts to myself, 3 of them courteous but the other 1 suggesting nobody should bother to converse with me.

47 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

There's a difference between sacking a manager who was making going to Ewood a chore and replacing him with the tea lady.

The talk when he went was of a big name replacement...then  up popped K**n.  Nobody (except a bookie or 2 in India and London) saw that coming. 

• Like 1

Just now, simongarnerisgod said:

Fateful day?

The football under Allardyce was unwatchable.

thats the most stupid comment iv`e ever read on here,mid table in the premier league,extremely difficult to play against,a rock like back four and scourge of the big five,wenger hated us with a seething rage

Not sure the rock of the back four covered themselves in glory against Man U.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  At the time, I thought that there would be better football out there than the Allardyce brand but, and it's a big but, if you told anyone the next manager would be an unproven reserve coach, we'd have burst out laughing.  Obviously anybody would have taken Allardyce over that.  

It was the most destructive thing ever done to this club.

3 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Not sure the rock of the back four covered themselves in glory against Man U.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.  At the time, I thought that there would be better football out there than the Allardyce brand but, and it's a big but, if you told anyone the next manager would be an unproven reserve coach, we'd have burst out laughing.  Obviously anybody would have taken Allardyce over that.  

It was the most destructive thing ever done to this club.

If Mowbray goes some people want an unproven coach in Damien Johnson to take over

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If Mowbray goes some people want an unproven coach in Damien Johnson to take over

5 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think if you look back on the various posts there have been on this issue over the last few months the "Mowbray Out" brigade are assuming that a manager with a more convincing track record or potential than Hill would be hired 

And some people accept we may have to take a chance on a coach who hasn't achieved as much in the game yet, or struggled in a previous job, but may be able to make a better go of managing Rovers under the current circumstances than Mowbray is doing. I suspect both Johnson and the Hill-type manager would have got more bang for their 12 million bucks.

Your solution appears to be hope Mowbray keeps us in the division as long as possible and hope Venkys eventually leave, with no ambition whatsoever to believe and aim for promotion. This gives no thought to how much we would have to be cut financially post-Venkys and will ultimately lead to even lower attendances as the club show no ambition whatsoever. Personally, I'd rather think big and gamble.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 1