BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston (home)

53 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Fateful day?

The football under Allardyce was unwatchable.

thats the most stupid comment iv`e ever read on here,mid table in the premier league,extremely difficult to play against,a rock like back four and scourge of the big five,wenger hated us with a seething rage

Didn’t allardyce basically give the bigger teams a bye against us and kept our better players for the games against the smaller teams? I’m sure I can recall some mullerings, 7 goal batterings against Man Utd, arsenal . One of my biggest criticisms of Sam

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think in some respects you are right in that Hill is the sort of manager that probably would be hired. I think if you look back on the various posts there have been on this issue over the last few months the "Mowbray Out" brigade are assuming that a manager with a more convincing track record or potential than Hill would be hired - whereas I think they would be disappointed.

Tony came off the scrapheap though as well so that was very far from an inspirational choice. Just another cheap role of the dice brought in by the usual influences/stakeholders/advisors whatever they masquerade as.  No reason to think someone like Hill given a similar budget to Mowbray wouldn't at least achieve similar midtable.  The gamble is they could maybe drive it a bit further, risk is it could go backwards but it's the same with any manager, exotic expense name or not.  Any one of them could build on it or pull it to bits that's just football.

It's coming to a point though, some would say past it, that a fresh voice and approach will be desperately needed. Maybe even just to tread water.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Didn’t allardyce basically give the bigger teams a bye against us and kept our better players for the games against the smaller teams? I’m sure I can recall some mullerings, 7 goal batterings against Man Utd, arsenal . One of my biggest criticisms of Sam

We certainly didn't do too well against the bigger teams but he had us 10th and 6th (when sacked). Kean was in charge and we won against Liverpool and Man Utd. but escaped by the skin of our teeth and then relegated.  Mowbray on the other hand sets us up (with varying degrees of luck/failure) to defend against Luton, Charlton and Barnsley etc. at home and to this day, it's only the snake that's had us above 7th.  Goes to show how bad each manager has been - unless we buy into the notion that Tony is doing a super job that nobody can better.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Did anybody expect Mowbray... or Lambert?

For every Coyle there was the Lambert appointment which fans were happy with (initially) and TM has done a decent job on the whole. So why wouldn’t we appoint somebody decent?

Kean, Berg, Appleton.  vs ?......well nobody.  This lot could just as well appoint that Ali fella as easily as they could a Hughton , or McCarthy.  I honestly think our safest bet if, and it is highly unlikely, they pot ToMo is DJ.  Let him have it for the rest of the season.  See if any REAL "outstanding candidates" apply and weigh that again at the job Johnson does.  I have a gut feeling that Damien would be a revelation for us.

Edited by USABlue

Whatever the feelings of however as big a portion of the fan base, the manager situation will be governed by some inconvenient facts.

1) We don’t know who decides on these things, let alone when and why.

2) Whoever does decide has consistently shown themselves to be not only impervious to fan sentiment but arrogantly dismissive of it.

3) There is no evidence that not getting promoted this year, or even close to the playoffs, is seen by whoever is in charge as being an issue that must be addressed.

4) Even if he got canned, picking a better one is not the simple exercise the name-droppers seem to think. Two-thirds of managers get sacked every year because people who do this for a living got it wrong. 

5) If we are so attractive a prospect, why were people in the game phoning the unemployed Mowbray advising him not to take it? Why did Lambert eff off?

6) The most successful appointment of recent times - Wilder at Sheff Utd - would’ve been met with howls of outrage on here: six years at Halifax, six at Oxford and then snatched from Northampton.

Personally I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Whatever the feelings of however as big a portion of the fan base, the manager situation will be governed by some inconvenient facts.

1) We don’t know who decides on these things, let alone when and why.

2) Whoever does decide has consistently shown themselves to be not only impervious to fan sentiment but arrogantly dismissive of it.

3) There is no evidence that not getting promoted this year, or even close to the playoffs, is seen by whoever is in charge as being an issue that must be addressed.

4) Even if he got canned, picking a better one is not the simple exercise the name-droppers seem to think. Two-thirds of managers get sacked every year because people who do this for a living got it wrong. 

5) If we are so attractive a prospect, why were people in the game phoning the unemployed Mowbray advising him not to take it? Why did Lambert eff off?

6) The most successful appointment of recent times - Wilder at Sheff Utd - would’ve been met with howls of outrage on here: six years at Halifax, six at Oxford and then snatched from Northampton.

Personally I’m not holding my breath.

My thoughts entirely.

I didn't know that Mowbray received that advice prior to taking the job, but if that is true it is indicative of how toxic the owners' reputation is in the game and as such a serious deterrent to anyone with a choice as to where they will work. Lambert had much the highest standing in the game of anyone who joined us - and indeed was the only one who went on to good jobs after us - but he was never going to take the job here unless he had a get out if things were like he was warned . Unfortunately they were and wore him down to the extent that he jumped.

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I don't think there's nobody out there better - I think the owners wouldn't identify them/they won't want to take the job/they won't stay for long if they did

The sad fact is any football club at any level and regardless of the disparity between what the two wanted paid, any owners who would plump for Coyle over Warnock have no chance of getting it right.  None, zilch, nada.  Only a big slice of luck would prevent us from almost certain doom with their preferred choice..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

My thoughts entirely.

I didn't know that Mowbray received that advice prior to taking the job, but if that is true it is indicative of how toxic the owners' reputation is in the game and as such a serious deterrent to anyone with a choice as to where they will work. Lambert had much the highest standing in the game of anyone who joined us - and indeed was the only one who went on to good jobs after us - but he was never going to take the job here unless he had a get out if things were like he was warned . Unfortunately they were and wore him down to the extent that he jumped.

Only one to get good jobs??

Amongst a host of other roles, Black went to Villa, Berg managed Legia Warsaw, Appleton assistant at Leicester...but let's not let facts get in the way of an argument.

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Of course, but they were a minority, most fans realised we had a top manager and it was unlikely we would get anyone better. A guru at keeping clubs like us competitive in the Premier League.

Fast forward and there is nobody out there for us better than Tony bloody Mowbray? Get out of it!

I think there was quite a few, perhaps still a minority but quite a few.  I was one of them.and I maintain the problem was not canning Allardyce but who they replaced him with and then their dogged stubbornness in not removing the clown after his first season of abject failure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, USABlue said:

I think there was quite a few, perhaps still a minority but quite a few.  I was one of them.and I maintain the problem was not canning Allardyce but who they replaced him with and then their dogged stubbornness in not removing the clown after his first season of abject failure.

It was a terrible decision, and many on here said so.

It was the first of many and we are are still reaping the consequences.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Fake news. Tosin and Cunningham were massive upgrades.

I thought Tosin was extremely sloppy and casual yesterday and has looked like his heart isn't really in it since he was left out over Christmas. I suspect he had his eye on a move elsewhere but couldnt negotiate a release and it fell through.

Either way, even if we can get him to get his head down again for the rest of the season, it's only an elastoplast of a solution we're back to square one in summer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

If Mowbray goes some people want an unproven coach in Damien Johnson to take over

If something definitely isn't working, as it isn't with Mowbray, then how can things possibly get any worse by trying something different? It might work, it might not but is that not better than being doomed to failure?

And before you come back with the obvious retort that you dont think he will take us down, even if that were to be true,  I don't consider 15 -20 th in the Championship every season as "working". That would be the case even if we weren't in any debt and not c £175m in the hole with indebtedness accruing at c£20 m p.a.

I also think the presumption that he won't take us down is optimistic to say the least. 15th to 20th might be acceptable if there were clear signs of progression but as I pointed out the other day after three years of Mowbray we have no keeper, no left back, one centre half of our own (who he inherited) a RB who is consistently overlooked in favour of someone who cant play there, eleven midfielders of which arguably only Travis (who he inherited) is up to it going forward and no decent strikers.

And no money because he blew the vast majority of the transfer budget in two successive windows on two duds.

He's clearly setting us up for a swift return to League 1. But we're supposed to do nothing because we might get someone worse? That would take some doing, even by Venky's standards.

• Like 6

Bauer, by the way is about 5th in the Championship for airiel duels won. Just the kind of thing you want from a big solid defender i'd say.

Both Hanley and Duffy were carthorses on the deck easy to get past for any nippy striker but we'd love another one of those types. Key to being a good defender is to not give them that space or yard on you.

Not the donkey best avoided some are making him out to be imo..... ?

27 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If something definitely isn't working, as it isn't with Mowbray, then how can things possibly get any worse by trying something different? It might work, it might not but is that not better than being doomed to failure?

And before you come back with the obvious retort that you dont think he will take us down, even if that were to be true,  I don't consider 15 -20 th in the Championship every season as "working". That would be the case even if we weren't in any debt and not c £175m in the hole with indebtedness accruing at c£20 m p.a.

I also think the presumption that he won't take us down is optimistic to say the least. 15th to 20th might be acceptable if there were clear signs of progression but as I pointed out the other day after three years of Mowbray we have no keeper, no left back, one centre half of our own (who he inherited) a RB who is consistently overlooked in favour of someone who cant play there, eleven midfielders of which arguably only Travis (who he inherited) is up to it going forward and no decent strikers.

And no money because he blew the vast majority of the transfer budget in two successive windows on two duds.

He's clearly setting us up for a swift return to League 1. But we're supposed to do nothing because we might get someone worse? That would take some doing, even by Venky's standards.

Well with Kean,Berg,Appleton and Coyle the owners have already managed to come up with someone worse on 4 occasions - so why not a 5th ?

2 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

A few of us on here pointed to Wilder and the reputation he was building at Oxford and Northampton.  

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Away from home, against the better teams we struggled under Allardyce. 

I think at home though we did much better. I think we drew or beat Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd and I'm certain we beat Arsenal 2-1 with Samba scoring the winner.

Edit: I was thinking of Allardyce's full season in charge.

Edited by davulsukur

5 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

White boy,why are Rovers fans referred to as 'plastics'? by the Lillywhite massive?

Because they are half wits ..... would .like to explain it but i cant other than i find it rather rude!

Respect is the first thing i taught my children...

Calling you guys plastics is referring to the Blackburn fans in Preston that "bought in" when you were winning the top league,... something that happens to all teams when they do such likes...

We have many idiots, i got banned from the forum for asking them to change the name of the thread from Plastics to Blackburn Rovers away thread....

rudeness clearly runs deep.

• Like 8