BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Preston (home)

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know how many fans it was tbh. I sit in the middle of Blackburn End Row 13 and no one said it around me. I imagined it came from the fans who stand in the Blackburn end towards the Jack Walker stand. 

Was I happy seeing Gallagher wide? no I am but He show plenty of effort and commitment. And that's what I expect even if not your best role. 

I was sat  N01 and it was a good vocal section and Tony will have heard it.  On more than one occasion 

Irrelevant that he shows commitment and effort, that's a basic minimum from any player of my team.  I expect quality and goals created,  headers won and a decent return of goals.  At least Antonosson could play that role better

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I was sat  N01 and it was a good vocal section and Tony will have heard it.  On more than one occasion 

Irrelevant that he shows commitment and effort, that's a basic minimum from any player of my team.  I expect quality and goals created,  headers won and a decent return of goals.  At least Antonosson could play that role better

Antonsson played it brilliant from left in league 1. 

I heard it once all game. 

14 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

In fairness, I think we are still some way off the fans turning on the manager in any sizeable numbers.  The away support seems firmly behind the manager and team during games despite the fact that there are doubts about certain players and the positions in which they play.  Likewise at Ewood, I've not really encountered people who are desperate for a change despite reservations about the present situation.  Mowbray is still well-liked by a large number of supporters despite what may be written on here.  

When fans wanted rid of Iley or Saxton, for example, there was no mistaking the hostility at the ground.  I think we are a long way off that sort of situation and I suspect you are right in that it will take something of that magnitude to change things.  However, as I said, I don't believe there is that sort of desire for change at the moment.

In the past the likes of Lee, Smith and Kendall have been able to use a spell at Ewood as a stepping stone to bigger things in management.  I suspect any young and up and coming manager today would be wary of taking on the Rovers.  The financial situation means they are likely to have no money to rebuild a squad which is a long way off being a top six outfit, let alone a top two side.   At the same time you have a fanbase where memories of the Premier League are still fresh and the desire to return is huge.  In the past expectation levels weren't as high because we had spent such a long time away from the top flight.  Indeed, if you had offered supporters in the early seventies the League position we are in today we'd have snapped your hand off!

I don't believe there are any easy solutions to the plight of the club - the financial situation is now the issue which overrides everything else and colours every decision, including that of the manager.

I'm not sure the views of the fans either now or in the 70's or 80's is that relevant, if the fanbase had already turned I'm sure you'd be arguing that they should be ignored as they aren't professionals and don't see the hard work that goes in at the Club on a day to day basis etc etc.

Perhaps Mowbray should be thanking his lucky stars he wasn't about in the 70's and 80's, perhaps the fans had higher standards then. If they could turn (rightly imo)  against the likes of Iley and Saxton who didn't have a proverbial pot to piddle in, what would they have made of a man who had the keys to the executive khazi but flushed millions upon millions of the Club's money away, probably with no return?

Also disappointed that you blame the financial situation at the Club without acknowledging that to a large extent Mowbray has caused it himself with his disastrous transfer dealings. 

Basically we still need strengthening in the same areas we always did, with the addition of a keeper as the previous one was needlessly alienated and flogged off, we have no money left due to the money wasted on Brereton and Gallagher which likely will never be able to be recycled and several other players have been brought in who've barely ever seen the blue and white halves such as Hart, Palmer, Davenport, Chapman etc etc.

I did mention when Brereton was signed and immediately sidelined that for a Club our size at 7m he needed to be playing and an integral part of the team and that with us losing 10-15m p.a. anyway the 3 year 39m rule would soon bite us on the backside. Most appeared to chortle at the time as if it didn't matter and Tony was a loveable little scamp who'd just blown his lunch money in the school tuck shop.

Well we're not laughing now that our one really saleable asset and only real source of goals has sustained a serious injury and put the rest of Mowbray's dealings into sharp focus.

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm not sure the views of the fans either now or in the 70's or 80's is that relevant, if the fanbase had already turned I'm sure you'd be arguing that they should be ignored as they aren't professionals and don't see the hard work that goes in at the Club on a day to day basis etc etc.

Perhaps Mowbray should be thanking his lucky stars he wasn't about in the 70's and 80's, perhaps the fans had higher standards then. If they could turn (rightly imo)  against the likes of Iley and Saxton who didn't have a proverbial pot to middle in, what would they have made of a man who had the keys to the executive khazi but flushed millions upon millions of the Club's money away, probably with no return?

Also disappointed that you blame the financial situation at the Club without acknowledging that to a large extent Mowbray has caused it himself with his disastrous transfer dealings. 

Basically we still need strengthening in the same areas we always did, with the addition of a keeper as the previous one was needlessly alienated and flogged off, we have no money left due to the money wasted on Brereton and Gallagher which likely will never be able to be recycled and several other players have been brought in who've barely ever seen the blue and white halves such as Hart, Palmer, Davenport, Chapman etc etc.

I did mention when Brereton was signed and immediately sidelined that for a Club our size at 7m he needed to be playing and an integral part of the team and that with us losing 10-15m p.a. anyway the 3 year 39m rule would soon bite us on the backside. Most appeared to chortle at the time as if it didn't matter and Tony was a loveable little scamp who'd just blown his lunch money in the school tuck shop.

Well we're not laughing now that our one really saleable asset and only real source of goals has sustained a serious injury and put the rest of Mowbray's dealings into sharp focus.

The other saleable asset this window has allegedly broken his nose and cheekbone. 

Not looking good on the financial/transfer front at all. 

On 11/01/2020 at 13:37, philipl said:

What is wrong with people's ability to read what I write, I said the most recent time I had watched them live was the Leeds game. 

I said that they were very unfortunate not to be 3 up at half time at Leeds.

Ok I am going to expand that 

1) I was really impressed with how PNE defended when Leeds came out at them in front of a capacity hostile Eland Road holiday crowd in the second half.

2) I watched all 90 minutes of two other PNE games which they won shortly before the Leeds game. I normally have a brief glance at other games to see how other Championship sides are going and in both cases, PNE were playing such entertaining football and stayed with the whole game just for the pleasure of watching them.

For what it's worth, the only other Championship sides that have had that affect on me are West Brom, Sheffield Wednesday and Brentford. I am pretty certain I caught Sheff Weds on their purple day but I suspect West Brom and Brentford regularly entertain. Brentford neither score that many or conceed any so to be entertaining as well is quite something.

I watch probably 75% of Rovers games. Only Bristol City away was as pleasurable. If I were viewing every game as a neutral I would have switched off after five or ten minutes.

Guys never mind the Results, turning watching Rovers into a chore is a serious problem on so many levels.

The irony in this is that you never came back with anything statistical to the post that I wrote... 

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Perhaps Mowbray should be thanking his lucky stars he wasn't about in the 70's and 80's, perhaps the fans had higher standards then. If they could turn (rightly imo)  against the likes of Iley and Saxton who didn't have a proverbial pot to piddle in, what would they have made of a man who had the keys to the executive khazi but flushed millions upon millions of the Club's money away, probably with no return?

Rev, My post was in answer to a post by Stuart who suggested that the fanbase needed to turn against the manager if he was to be encouraged to walkaway.  I was merely pointing out that there was little sign of that thus far.  I was using the 70s and 80s examples of crowds turning on a manager and how it was clear that those managers had lost the overwhelming support of the fanbase.

I would agree that our financial situation is partly - not totally - self inflicted with two significant transfers that have not worked out.  I don't have a problem with the likes of Hart, Davenport or Chapman.  These were picked up for very little and could - and still might - come off but if they don't we haven't lost a huge amount on them.  Rather like the likes of Tallon, Harford, Burnett, Makel, Pelzer etc in the past.

The real issue is the amount spent on Gallagher and Brereton and the fact that they haven't, nor do they look likely to deliver what was expected of them.  Of course the blame for that rests with the manager.  Mowbray is not the first at Ewood to invest heavily in players who simply don't deliver but without Premier League money to fall back on it really holes the club below the financial waterline.  It will be these signings that will do for the manager in the long run if they don't improve.

Again, I totally agree with you that the goalkeeping situation is a mess of our own making.  We've allowed a promising young goalkeeper to leave for next to nothing and replaced him with an inferior one on loan - madness.  Fortunately both senior 'keepers will be gone in the summer and we do have two excellent young 'keepers in Fisher and Hilton. 

At the moment I believe a managerial change is unlikely - I suspect the owners would not be keen on paying up the remaining two years of his contract - but I would expect the owners to be asking serious questions about the transfer activity during their summer meeting.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

Rev, My post was in answer to a post by Stuart who suggested that the fanbase needed to turn against the manager if he was to be encouraged to walkaway.  I was merely pointing out that there was little sign of that thus far.  I was using the 70s and 80s examples of crowds turning on a manager and how it was clear that those managers had lost the overwhelming support of the fanbase.

I would agree that our financial situation is partly - not totally - self inflicted with two significant transfers that have not worked out.  I don't have a problem with the likes of Hart, Davenport or Chapman.  These were picked up for very little and could - and still might - come off but if they don't we haven't lost a huge amount on them.  Rather like the likes of Tallon, Harford, Burnett, Makel, Pelzer etc in the past.

The real issue is the amount spent on Gallagher and Brereton and the fact that they haven't, nor do they look likely to deliver what was expected of them.  Of course the blame for that rests with the manager.  Mowbray is not the first at Ewood to invest heavily in players who simply don't deliver but without Premier League money to fall back on it really holes the club below the financial waterline.  It will be these signings that will do for the manager in the long run if they don't improve.

Again, I totally agree with you that the goalkeeping situation is a mess of our own making.  We've allowed a promising young goalkeeper to leave for next to nothing and replaced him with an inferior one on loan - madness.  Fortunately both senior 'keepers will be gone in the summer and we do have two excellent young 'keepers in Fisher and Hilton. 

At the moment I believe a managerial change is unlikely - I suspect the owners would not be keen on paying up the remaining two years of his contract - but I would expect the owners to be asking serious questions about the transfer activity during their summer meeting.

What is it you chaps think you should be aiming for?

Do you think the owners want instant success or do they have one of these "5 year plans"?

1 hour ago, white boy said:

What is it you chaps think you should be aiming for?

Do you think the owners want instant success or do they have one of these "5 year plans"?

The owners have absolutely no plan what so ever. They've already forgotten all about football, Blackburn and anything else.They don't know how to resolve the situation so they are just ignoring the issue ostrich style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Another two years of stagnation and mid table mediocrity then...ye God's!

Tony Mowbray is on a winner whatever happens and he damn well knows it.It's the fans who always seem to suffer.

• Like 3

I really really really hope that is the last we see of Gallagher out wide. 

Options going forward with Gallagher

1) Up front in 4231

2) Up front in 442

3) On the bench

Who could  play on the wing instead : Downing, Armstrong, Rothwell, Holtby, Chapman, Bennett. Out of those only really Downing and Armstrong inspire much confidence, but all are a much better fit than Gallagher.

Edited by joey_big_nose

15 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't know how many fans it was tbh. I sit in the middle of Blackburn End Row 13 and no one said it around me. I imagined it came from the fans who stand in the Blackburn end towards the Jack Walker stand. 

Was I happy seeing Gallagher wide? no I am but He show plenty of effort and commitment. And that's what I expect even if not your best role. 

It was definitely sang clearly twice, once towards the end of the first half and one half way through the second half. It was also followed by a chant of Ooh Ahh Gallagher which showed that nobody was questioning Gallagher's commitment or effort. Just the fact he is clearly in the wrong position.

2 hours ago, Hasta said:

It was definitely sang clearly twice, once towards the end of the first half and one half way through the second half. It was also followed by a chant of Ooh Ahh Gallagher which showed that nobody was questioning Gallagher's commitment or effort. Just the fact he is clearly in the wrong position.

ok fair enough, well I only heard it once. I asked the people I went with who sit in Blackburn End and Jack Walker upper. they heard it once. 

5 hours ago, Amo said:

Promotion. Have you seen the figures? It's boom or bust for Rovers.

Will it happen? Nope. The club's fucked from the top down.

That could’ve been, and most certainly was, written 8 years ago. Mercer has been saying they are skint for at least that long and yet here we still are. Not once has their approach to the manager situation given any hint of it ever being boom or bust. No-one knows what their plan is and under what circumstances they would sell, pull out or something else altogether. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

That could’ve been, and most certainly was, written 8 years ago. Mercer has been saying they are skint for at least that long and yet here we still are. Not once has their approach to the manager situation given any hint of it ever being boom or bust. No-one knows what their plan is and under what circumstances they would sell, pull out or something else altogether. 

While Mercer is obviously full of hyperbole alot of the time, how long do you think we can keep doing this? Owners have money yes, they are keeping the lights on and even investing a little in the last few years (badly though it has to be said). How many hundreds of millions are we at now? What is clear is that they will not be around forever and what does that spell for our club if we are not able to get to a position to reduce that debt significantly so that they can finally walk?

• Like 5