BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sam Gallagher Stat

Bit misleading as he hasn't played purely as a striker has he ?

Another stat is he's well up there in numbers of aerial duals won. The problem? These aerial duals are out wide in no mans land half the time! Does that itself not suggest we need to either be firing balls into the box at head height to be converted into goals? OR play someone with pace off him in a front 2 I.e Armstrong like the classic Niall Quinn and Kev Phillips partnership. 

• Like 3

I do love a good stat, but I certainly don't base my opinion around them.

I can see with my eyes that Sam Gallagher isn't good enough, and could play 90 minutes every game up front with a partner, for the rest of the season, and he still wouldn't be close to getting double figures.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Have you got a stat for that?

No! I could go find one but I've done way too much digging today on a bunch of stuff for the sake of my sanity I won't hahaha. But I'd wager a bet its over 85% of his playtime.

I couldn't help myself ! Sam Gallagher has featured 24 times this season. 20 times as a Striker, and 4 times as a RW. 7 of these apps are sub apps just FYI.

So he's played 20 out of 24 up top, AKA 83.33333%.

I was scarily close with my 85% guess.

34 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I couldn't help myself ! Sam Gallagher has featured 24 times this season. 20 times as a Striker, and 4 times as a RW. 7 of these apps are sub apps just FYI.

And what did he do for Brum last season that warranted spunking £5 million?

Rhetorical question really, sorry!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

He has moved around during games, so that doesn't tell the whole story. But it's certainly a bit more than I expected he'd played (or started off playing) as striker.

I posted this in the transfer thread, but it's suitable here too:

According to this site https://www.infogol.net/en/player/sam-gallagher/6204 he has had 26 shots, with 8 on target and 2 goals. And two assists.
In his previous season with us, he had 71 shots, 36 on target, and 11 goals, with 1 assist.

So this season, that's one on target from every 3.25 shots, and one in every 13 shots as a goal.

Last time out it was one on target every 1.972 shots, and a goal every 6.45 shots.

He's essentially about twice as poor (or half as good) at shooting as he was in his loan here.

Just now, philipl said:

He is being deployed totally differently compared with his loan spell.

That stat changes totally if he didn't have his other goal at Preston chalked off as an of.

Thats ifs, buts and maybes though. His header hit the post and came back out, he missed the target.

That last season he was still only scoring 1 in 4 and that season is references as some sort of benchmark for him, as if its proof that hes good enough. It was by far his best season to date and he was still decidedly average and didnt come close to winning player of the season in a dreadful campaign.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Thats ifs, buts and maybes though. His header hit the post and came back out, he missed the target.

That last season he was still only scoring 1 in 4 and that season is references as some sort of benchmark for him, as if its proof that hes good enough. It was by far his best season to date and he was still decidedly average and didnt come close to winning player of the season in a dreadful campaign.

I thought loan players couldn't win it,  hence why we had little choice but to give it to the poor man's Martin Ollsson

53 minutes ago, philipl said:

He is being deployed totally differently compared with his loan spell.

That stat changes totally if he didn't have his other goal at Preston chalked off as an of.

As has been shown, he is still being deployed mainly as a striker this season (in fact didn't he get played a bit wide at times in the relegation season too?).

The stat changes if his goal at Preston wasn't chalked off as an o.g (and for me it was more his goal than Buckley's against Sheff W was), but not 'totally'. The shots on target doesn't really change, but his goals become one in every 8.66 shots. It's still noticeably worse than the 6.45 shots. About a third worse. If you do count it, it also means 66% of his goals came in a single game.

I don't mind Gallagher personally, and think he might come (reasonably) good, though I do think we overpaid immensely for what should have been a roughly 2 million pound player. Just saying what the stats show.

Yes he shouldn’t be shunted out wide now and again - I’m confident TM is the only man in world football who things a gangly 6’4 lad would make a good winger. However, whenever he’s played up top he’s been just nearly as useless. Doesn’t score, can’t attack a ball, doesn’t peel off defenders shoulders, not that great at holding it up.

Another £5 million down the swanny.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JoeH said:

That's definitely wrong I'm afraid.

Listen  I'm not even a massive Gallagher fan but misleading stats don't paint the full picture. 

We're stuck with him now regardless of peoples opinions so the obvious thing to do is play to his strengths, but we won't, so he won't improve. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, philipl said:

If you divide Sam's minutes on the field by 3 rather than 2, he is no longer the worst striker in the league...

But still shit, and shitter than in his previous spell.

Missed some more sitters today I understand.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ossydave said:

That's definitely wrong I'm afraid.

Listen  I'm not even a massive Gallagher fan but misleading stats don't paint the full picture. 

We're stuck with him now regardless of peoples opinions so the obvious thing to do is play to his strengths, but we won't, so he won't improve. 

It’s definitely not. Taken from WhoScored, a very reliable source.

Another full 90 up front today will take that over 85% too!

Gallagher Put in a shift today no doubt, also won the penalty with some good battling.

He will never score goals at a regular level though, his anticipation, finishing and heading are up there with the worse Rovers strikers I have ever seen.

Edited by MarkBRFC

• Backroom

Part of the problem is that putting in a shift is the bare minimum. Old Browny used to put in a shift but he was utterly useless. Compare to players like Paul Dickov and Robbie Savage who didn't have the natural talent of a lot of their colleagues but found ways to impact the game through their sheer tenacity and desire. If Gallagher can't find a way to turn his hard work into goals then we have wasted another decent chunk of money.