BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brum FA Cup

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Ever heard of FFP ?

We’re okay on ffp for now. And we’ll have to be cos we have 0 sellable assets in the match day squad.

2 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Well at least I can agree on the second sentence. As for the first the problem would come if we kicked off next season in the Championship.

I’ve been following it on twitter quite a lot, thought general consensus for now was that we’re okay. Lots of our losses are through community and academy investments which don’t count towards the ffp total. But we shall see. 

If it is the case that we’re in trouble regarding ffp, then I’d spend as much as humanly possible because our squad is already wank. Elliott Bennett does not get into any other team in the championship, fact.

• Backroom
Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Part of the problem is that unfortunately Brereton has been so poor that it is difficult to establish what his position is.

I can tell you one position he isn't, and that's a wide forward/winger, so putting him out there repeatedly is ridiculous. I hear he had some good performances as a wide forward for Forest but he's never had a decent game for us playing there and if Mowbray hasn't figured that out by now then that's very worrying. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’ve been following it on twitter quite a lot, thought general consensus for now was that we’re okay. Lots of our losses are through community and academy investments which don’t count towards the ffp total. But we shall see. 

If it is the case that we’re in trouble regarding ffp, then I’d spend as much as humanly possible because our squad is already wank. Elliott Bennett does not get into any other team in the championship, fact.

As you say, it is complicated. I think you are right about the academy although there is a grant from the Premier League for that which reduces the net spend. 

7 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We had enough chances to have won comfortably today but were so wasteful in front of goal. Brereton and Gallagher are poor at pretty much everything but I'm reluctant to have a go at them. It's not their fault we paid money massively disproportionate to their abilities or pay them handsomely on fantastic contracts. The fault lies with Mowbray, Waggott and whoever else allowed Rovers to be duped into buying them. On that alone they should be sacked.

There were a lot of other inadequacies today for which Mowbray has to carry the can and a lot of these traits we have shown time and time again but nothing seems to happen. He is the public face of Rovers but I don't believe he accepts enough responsibility for results. There's always a reason or two which doesn't involve him. I think we'll finish in the bottom six but the real worry for me would be next season.

He should do the honourable thing and go. There's no shame in saying he's taken us as far as he can and getting out with some pride intact.

He wont leave unless his contract to 2022 is paid up as he knows he'll never get another well-paid job. Hartlepool or York City for him next.

• Like 1

the defence and midfield need sorting out first,physically we are not strong enough and positionally we are all over the place,we are weak as kittens on set pieces and every time the opposition comes forward they look like scoring,tony can`t see this though for some reason,defies belief really,if he`s not getting through to them after 3 seasons he should take a long look at himself,either get rid of them all or bite the bullet and walk

The worst bit of Mowbray management today was replacing Downing (our joint best player today with Armstrong) with the weak and ineffective Buckley. Downing still had plenty to give and he looked perplexed to be taken off. Mowbray brainwave - lets take our most creative player and one of the few who can actually finish and bring on a lightweight player who is nowhere near this level. The team was instantly weakened at a crucial point when Brum were on the ropes and there for the taking. Ridiculous decision. 

Annoyed about today. Mowbray’s record at Rovers in the cups is rubbish. A little cup run would have kept the season alive.

• Like 2

I believe that ruthless people win in sport. You need to be ruthless, sentiment gets you nowhere. Honestly  I would have fired him after the promotion season. I'd seen enough that season to see that Mowbray couldn't get a team playing well for more than 40 minutes at the most in spite of all the advantages we had over our opponents. We needed a manager capable of taking us to the next level, Mowbray isn't that Manager.

I went to Rochdale V Newcastle today. Brighton loaned another goalkeeper to Rochdale, Sanchez, he was outstanding today, MOM. We definitely got second best with Walton.That young right back that came on for Magloire is a class act, he's got pace to burn and he knows how to go forward as well as defend. One for the future. I'd swap him for Magloire tomorrow given half a chance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I believe that ruthless people win in sport. You need to be ruthless, sentiment gets you nowhere. Honestly  I would have fired him after the promotion season. I'd seen enough that season to see that Mowbray couldn't get a team playing well for more than 40 minutes at the most in spite of all the advantages we had over our opponents. We needed a manager capable of taking us to the next level, Mowbray isn't that Manager.

I went to Rochdale V Newcastle today. Brighton loaned another goalkeeper to Rochdale, Sanchez, he was outstanding today, MOM. We definitely got second best with Walton.That young right back that came on for Magloire is a class act, he's got pace to burn and he knows how to go forward as well as defend. One for the future. I'd swap him for Magloire tomorrow given half a chance.

And yet the Rochdale manager started Magloire ahead of him ?

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I posted the same on the transfer thread. The young right back Matheson looks a real prospect.

9 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yeah well he really cocked up there but at least he realised it before too much damage was done.. Magloire got the shepherds crook after 30 minutes. The young right back is on his way to United if my sources are correct.  He makes Premier League players look slow. Watch MOTD tonight. They were getting run silly down their right hand side before the change, after that Matheson kept a very tricky winger quiet and made some great runs down the right hand flank. He is both quick over 5-10  yards and fast over 40-50 yards.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah well he really cocked up there but at least he realised it before too much damage was done.. Magloire got the shepherds crook after 30 minutes. The young right back is on his way to United if my sources are correct.  He makes Premier League players look slow. Watch MOTD tonight.

Yes I heard the radio commentary on the game and they were very impressed with Matheson. To be fair to Magloire they pointed out that he had had a long absence with injury and thought that was the reason he was taken off; they suggested there was a 16 year old playing for Rochdale who was way off the pace and thought that was the player who would be substituted.

12 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes, that was incomprehensible to me, too.

I think all at Spotland realise what a gem they have in Mathewson; perhaps Brian Barry-Murphy was trying to protect him.

But fair play to BBM, he quickly realised his mistake & rectified it.  I doubt TM would have been so decisive in the first half of a game.

4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

And yet got West Brom promoted to the Premier League ?

And got them relegated straight away. Also it was 13 years ago when he got promotion out of this league, times have rather moved on since then. Managers such as Owen Coyle, Ian Holloway (twice), Paul Lambert, Brian McDermott and Alex McLeish have all won promotion from the Championship more recently. Mowbray like all of those manager's is yesterday's man as far as Championship management is concerned.

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yes I heard the radio commentary on the game and they were very impressed with Matheson. To be fair to Magloire they pointed out that he had had a long absence with injury and thought that was the reason he was taken off; they suggested there was a 16 year old playing for Rochdale who was way off the pace and thought that was the player who would be substituted.

Rochdale were playing with Magloire on the right of a back three. Between him and the right wing back the Newcastle left winger ( Yedlin ? ) was having a field day. He made the wing back look like he was running in treacle. He got in up the bye line about 6 times in the first thirty minutes. only luck and good defending kept it to 0-0 until on the sixth time he put a cross in Newcastle scored from it.

Magloire didn't seem to know where to play. He was hanging back and letting the wing back get hung out to dry. After the goal Magloire got subbed and they went to a back four. Completely changed the game. Rochdale had been chasing shadows until then. 2nd half they ran Newcastle ragged and should have won about 3-1.

• Like 2