Sign in to follow this  
K-Hod

Politics

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

106 billion pounds I've read this afternoon in a different paper to yours Gav. Is this amount the same as yours? 

Is it worth having HS2 now or would it worth investing all that money into the current rail structure and other transport links? 

The current average time it takes now is 2 hours 28 minutes. 

Yes the same number I've read chaddy.

I think the main reason for HS2 isn't so much about speed, although thats a positive on some routes, its mainly about freight and over capacity on the current lines.

Its massive for businesses in the North and for that reason alone we should build it and extend it to Inverness, why stop at Leeds?

Edited by Gav

Any news of the report into Russian interference in the Brexit referendum and recent General Elections. We were told the release was postponed whilst after the General Election. Maybe they mean after the next one. It's gone the same way as the Tory report on anti Muslim activities  within the Tory Party.

In my paper today - "  ( The ) Poorest face bigger health gap than 100 years ago ! "

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think the main reason for HS2 isn't so much about speed, although thats a positive on some routes, its mainly about freight and over capacity on the current lines.

Its massive for businesses in the North and for that reason alone we should build it and extend it to Inverness, why stop at Leeds?

Not many Tory voters in Scotland Gav.

5 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Careful! I heard that celebrity Claret(lol), Livesey, actually bragging on radio that he "couldn't bring himself to say Tony Blackburn's name."

Years ago, I remember reading about the trials of a lowlife Burnley thug, who was called Steven Blackburn- so there us a God!

"Bill, George..anything but Sue.."

A quick search of the online BT residential telephone directory reveals 7 people called Blackburn living in Burnley.

Presumably, with relatives and offspring, plus some Blackburns ex-directory or with mobiles only, there's quite a few more.

However, there is no one called Burnley living in Blackburn.

Together with the fact that Blackburn votes Labour and Burnley votes Tory, Burnley doesn't have much going for it

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

A quick search of the online BT residential telephone directory reveals 7 people called Blackburn living in Burnley.

Presumably, with relatives and offspring, plus some Blackburns ex-directory or with mobiles only, there's quite a few more.

However, there is no one called Burnley living in Blackburn.

Together with the fact that Blackburn votes Labour and Burnley votes Tory, Burnley doesn't have much going for it

Boris Johnson's Claret and Blue Army!

Actually, when I worked there, the Burney mayor,( I am pretty sure  it was) came to the service, wearing a woolen Rovers cap. It turned out he was a lifelong Rovers fan ....and a Lib Dem!

Edited by Leonard Venkhater

Miss Britcliffe can get a bit touchy when you mention her dad is on the LCC. Odd, given she was at pains to say how professional their relationship was while both working for LCC.

Now when one asks her if she is able to ask Peter Britcliffe about his not-brilliant (failed imo) leadership surrounding Broadfield special school, and the failed Hambledon school (a result of Conservative free school policy), there's a lot 'don't bring family into it'.

I'm not. YOU are my MP. Peter Britcliffe took lead re Broadfield school long before you were MP (he was often referenced by Graham Jones in this regard).

It's nothing to do with family, and everything to do with your purported 'professional relationship' with a former colleague in the LCC. Should my future children require need of Special Education, I hope they can get better help from Sara, Peter, and LCC than Broadfield children are currently getting.

Edited by Mike E

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Back to the Victorians...

If they had ummed and ahhed about everything and decided not to bother building infrastructure we have relied on ever since, then this country would be fucked and speaking German.

Completely agree... get it built ASAP and take it further. 

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

And there you have it. 

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/hs2-latest-conservative-mps-boris-johnson-upgrades-public-transport-1370832

Wouldn't occur to them that HS2 and northern local upgrades should both be funded

The Tories don't want HS2 but they don't know how to pull the plug on it without appearing to be complete and utter bull shitters. They'll find a way though eventually. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

An actor called Laurence Fox has described the inclusion of Sikhs in a WW1 film as 'institutionally racist'. Get in the sea.

Is that the guy who was on QT last week saying the press treatment of Megan Markle was not racist?

On 21/01/2020 at 12:30, Gav said:

Thanks for the response Gav

I think we can used the money much better and improve the current rail lines and services. Plus other transports. 

106 billion is far too much for HS2. People may disagree. 

34 minutes ago, Dreyski said:

Is that the guy who was on QT last week saying the press treatment of Megan Markle was not racist?

One and the same, yes.

Would that be the Andrew Neill that the liar in No 10 was too scared to face during the election campaign? 

I'm an avid watcher of Question Time despite its obvious failings that are well documented, did anyone catch last nights show from Stoke Newington?

I can't remember a more respectable episode, hardly any arguing on the panel, hardly any arguing with the crowd, just respect for peoples views and some very good debate.

Trevor Philips (British writer, broadcaster and former politician) and Mike Barton (Former Chief Constable of Durham Constabulary) were brilliant, as was the audience.

Well worth a watch.

24 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm an avid watcher of Question Time despite its obvious failings that are well documented, did anyone catch last nights show from Stoke Newington?

I can't remember a more respectable episode, hardly any arguing on the panel, hardly any arguing with the crowd, just respect for peoples views and some very good debate.

Trevor Philips (British writer, broadcaster and former politician) and Mike Barton (Former Chief Constable of Durham Constabulary) were brilliant, as was the audience.

Well worth a watch.

I can't stand the programme Gav. I loathe the woman who chairs it. . Mrs Shoelaces ( who needs to have the TV remote surgically removed ) knows that if she puts that on the TV it's my signal to either bugger off to bed or go into the study to read.

On 22/01/2020 at 22:35, jim mk2 said:

Would that be the Andrew Neill that the liar in No 10 was too scared to face during the election campaign? 

Super duper whataboutery Jim!! ;)