I'm just wondering if anyone can name anything the Conservatives have done well during the past 10 years.

News without even looking for it during the last 24 hours include:

The Failure to remove dangerous cladding from buildings by the date they promised (lies)

Daily Express front page was about Dementia and the shocking social care crisis.

Smart motorways causing unnecessary deaths.

UK deaths from pollution rising.

UK citizens stuck in Wuhan asking why France, USA etc can make plans to evacuate their citizens whilst Boris sits on his hands.

And that's without even mentioning the HS2 cock-up, their NHS and Universal Credit disasters or yet more deceit over global carbon emissions, police cuts and rising crime etc. etc. etc.

It would appear that where Labour had too many policies for people to focus on The Tories had done too many bad things for people to focus on.

Seriously, who the fuck voted for them? Was there some kind of vote rigging? Or did they order the utility companies to put extra lead in the drinking water (can that cause 6 finger syndrome)? It's baffling. ūü§Ē

Edited by Husky

https://www.ft.com/content/3a9e6020-40ed-11ea-bdb5-169ba7be433d

Dear oh dear, what a shame. The people who "forgot" that:

- the rapid deindustrialisation and abandonment of their region was brought to them by the Thatcherite Tory Party,

- they were the prime target of a Tory programme of austerity while richer regions were relatively cushioned from its effects

and who then voted in droves for the Neo-Thatcherite Brexit project and a majority Tory government to deliver it are nervous.

Pity the poor northern lemmings 

So bitter Jim arent you? 

Dont like the FACT that didnt want Corbyn as PM or Labour policies. No longer the party of the normal working class people anymore

Couple of political talking points today, Huawei 5g and the governments proposal to open some of the lines Beaching cut in 60's.

Giving Huawei access to our 5g network seems a crackers idea to me, especially when we spend millions on cyber security to stop the Chinese hacking in through the back door.......Its a tough one for Boris really, I doubt he can work his own mobile phone let alone work this mess out on his own, someone help him please.

Then we have the governments proposal to open the Poulton to Fleetwood line and the line from Ashington to Blythe, great for local people I'm sure but its nothing more than window dressing, cheap browny points. Labour believe the whole funding pot, £500m, would open around 25 miles of track, with the proposed Colne to Skipton link taking up 2/3rds of that funding if given the go ahead. 

You're going to have to a hell of a lot better than that Mr Shapps....

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

So bitter Jim arent you? 

Dont like the FACT that didnt want Corbyn as PM or Labour policies. No longer the party of the normal working class people anymore

I'm not sure why Jim's pointing out facts is classed as bitterness. And how anyone can think that the current Tory Party represents anyone's interests other than those of their extremely wealthy backers, I cannot fathom. They've got your vote now and it wont be long before they show their true colours. Currently they're giving you a little bit to encourage you to think you were right to vote for them but it wont take long for them to start taking back. And you've given them total carte blanche to do exactly as they please for the next 5 years. 

I was never a Corbyn supporter but Johnson? 

I think all political parties need to make a move and tell Prince Andrew to assist in the global human trafficking investigation the fbi are currently undertaking, if not then the countries funding of the royal family should be limited. 

They’re meant to represent us as a people and showcase us on the world stage. If the man is a peadophile or complicit in them activities then he should face up like a man. If the average Joe, or indeed even a highly paid CEO, were involved I have no doubt there’d be severe ramifications. You may live a privileged life but you are not exempt from morality. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Peanuts for the northern monkeys. £500m buys about 25 miles of railway to restore lines that were cut in the first place.......by the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

There's a 20 year pattern here. The Beeching rail cuts of the 1960s by a Conservative government; the privatisation and rolling back of public services under Thatcher in the 1980s and the austerity cuts of Osborne in the 2010s.

All of these Tory dogma cuts have enriched the their friends in the private sector while depriving or worsening public services, with the north often the worst hit.

Johnson is on probation with voters, and he hasn't made a good start.

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Peanuts for the northern monkeys. £500m buys about 25 miles of railway to restore lines that were cut in the first place.......by the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51272817

There's a 20 year pattern here. The Beeching rail cuts of the 1960s by a Conservative government; the privatisation and rolling back of public services under Thatcher in the 1980s and the austerity cuts of Osborne in the 2010s.

All of these Tory dogma cuts have enriched the their friends in the private sector while depriving or worsening public services, with the north often the worst hit.

Johnson is on probation with voters, and he hasn't made a good start.

Today's poll has the Conservatives on 49% so the voters seem to think he's off to a good start.

36 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Today's poll has the Conservatives on 49% so the voters seem to think he's off to a good start.

They're still in honeymoon mode. Is Johnson back off his holiday yet ? If he is how can we tell ?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

They're still in honeymoon mode. Is Johnson back off his holiday yet ? If he is how can we tell ?

Life's one big holiday when you're born with silver spoon in your mouth.

All-expenses paid trip to Mustique for a post-election break anyone? 

5 hours ago, Gav said:

Couple of political talking points today, Huawei 5g and the governments proposal to open some of the lines Beaching cut in 60's.

Giving Huawei access to our 5g network seems a crackers idea to me, especially when we spend millions on cyber security to stop the Chinese hacking in through the back door.......Its a tough one for Boris really, I doubt he can work his own mobile phone let alone work this mess out on his own, someone help him please.

Then we have the governments proposal to open the Poulton to Fleetwood line and the line from Ashington to Blythe, great for local people I'm sure but its nothing more than window dressing, cheap browny points. Labour believe the whole funding pot, £500m, would open around 25 miles of track, with the proposed Colne to Skipton link taking up 2/3rds of that funding if given the go ahead. 

You're going to have to a hell of a lot better than that Mr Shapps....

5g seems like a bad idea full stop no matter who is involved.

The benefits to the average consumer are minimal at best and the health aspect is pretty scary regarding constant exposure to high frequency bands.

No wonder they push these things through without proper testing. $$$

Edited by Husky

14 minutes ago, philipl said:

Britain- land of disbelieve:

image.png.dfb153d3830d429ecb77a2a0e2033c02.png

An interesting graph. I would find it even more interesting if you could state what the annual national government deficit was as a percentage of GDP for each country in 2010. I strongly suspect that the 3 countries shown above with the lowest rates of investment were pretty much the 3 with the highest deficits - underlining that it was the catastrophic state of the government's finances left behind by Labour that meant the UK had to tighten its belt in the last decade.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Tough austerity and the consequent lack of investment was Tory policy choice. They didn't have to do it because the country's finances were recovering anyway after the worldwide financial crisis of 2008-09, which Gordon Brown successfully steered the UK through and for which he received international acclaim.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2010/feb/21/gordon-brown-saved-banks

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/were-all-in-debt-to-gordon-browns-borrowing

Cheered on by the dogmatic Tory right wing, Osborne chose austerity as he saw a chance to reduce the size of the state and public services. The current NHS crisis is one direct result.

And of course, austerity hit the north harder that the south - so the poorest regions suffered while the richest areas continued to prosper. The north-south divide has widened over the past 10 years.

Edited by jim mk2

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/breaking-northern-rail-officially-nationalised-21383819

Is Boris turning red?

Or is it just because the Tories didn't have any of their own policies so they simply have to steal Labours?

Either way surely that's some 'toxic moonshine communism' right there.

Perhaps it's the Tory's first step on the road to Chinese rule? ‚ėļÔłŹ

Northern, South Western, East Coast all now nationalised.

Privatisation being rolled back. 

Why do the Tories always steal Labour's policies? 

58 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Tory cruelty. Thank you Iain Duncan Smith

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-51283186

Tory Stories. I read about that somewhere else where they also mentioned more tales of Universal Credit woe such as a woman that had her benefits stopped as she was in hospital with pneumonia and couldn't attend a 'fit for work' appointment (eventually she committed suicide) and another where an emancipated guy that looked like something from a Nazi concentration camp was declared fit to work:

Screenshot_20200129-165948_1.png.6c2fd0420802f38b7b423489963e8b21.png

He doesn't look in working shape to me. Though I guess the less well off better get used to working until the grave as The Tory government will have the state pension age up at 80 soon enough.

Met Keir Starmer last night and he was very impressive. Sharp and funny - but he'll have that media coached out of him before he's allowed anywhere near the leadership.

On 29/01/2020 at 13:54, Mashed Potatoes said:

An interesting graph. I would find it even more interesting if you could state what the annual national government deficit was as a percentage of GDP for each country in 2010. I strongly suspect that the 3 countries shown above with the lowest rates of investment were pretty much the 3 with the highest deficits - underlining that it was the catastrophic state of the government's finances left behind by Labour that meant the UK had to tighten its belt in the last decade.

image.png.9cf5a63a4f272af688e86577565d07a4.png