2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, People can afford the mortgage payments as they are similar or less then the rent they paid. When me and the missus was renting we were paying £450 per month but now we got a mortgage we are paying 30 pounds less a month and the property is our. So we can put own ideas on our property. With the rented property we couldnt't

People need help with deposit for mortgage whether its a saving scheme for people who want to sign up to a such scheme should be allow as possible idea. I am sure people will have different ideas. 

Its an underwriting issue. If someone can't raise say £20,000, they aren't looking good to lend £100k to for a mortgage. Its an affordability thing with finance.

Most people who rent are typically on zero contracts or unsecure work, again a problem if they owe the bank and fail to pay the mortgage, but not  so much a problem if they fail to pay the rent.

Theres loads of issues, its not so simples😚

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Gav, People can afford the mortgage payments as they are similar or less then the rent they paid. When me and the missus was renting we were paying £450 per month but now we got a mortgage we are paying 30 pounds less a month and the property is our. So we can put own ideas on our property. With the rented property we couldnt't

People need help with deposit for mortgage whether its a saving scheme for people who want to sign up to a such scheme should be allow as possible idea. I am sure people will have different ideas. 

I enjoyed PM Johnson speech today and that he was to level up the country and build more houses, hospitals or school. Invest in rail or roads in the North. He is following through his promises and manifesto from the last election. 

here an article from the FT saying the new Deal the Conservatives have show the scale of Labour challenge

https://www.ft.com/content/ac6ad3ae-13b3-4727-bf14-614353563528

Yours was so they all are ? My rent was modest due to our circumstances then things looked up , we bought , mortgage is treble what the rent was . We are all different . 

If it is anything like the Covid effort, a huge chunk of the £5bn will get syphoned off in corruption by Tory donors.

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Most people who rent are typically on zero contracts or unsecure work, again a problem if they owe the bank and fail to pay the mortgage, but not  so much a problem if they fail to pay the rent.

A lot of people who rent are also young people. Even if you have a relatively decent, secure job it's really difficult to raise a deposit without parental help. Young people dont stand a chance. If you're single I reckon you need to be earning 30k a year minimum to stand a chance of buying a house within 10 years of leaving uni. 

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Trouble is, with right to buy came right to sell.

And Councils only got a fraction of what the home they built was worth.

And they couldn't build anymore.

Arguably the worst government decision of the later 20th century 

It was simply an exercise in buying votes, just like the gifts of shares to enable the privatisation of the state industries was. The Tories wanted big business to get control of these industries but daren't sell them off quite so openly. So they hit on the wheeze on giving the little people shares knowing full well that the little people would immediately sell them on. Big business buy up the shares and you've achieved your initial objective.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It was simply an exercise in buying votes, just like the gifts of shares to enable the privatisation of the state industries was. 

Bunkum.

You ask the families across the UK who now own their own home through right to buy if it was an exercise in buying votes and they'll probably tell you it was an exercise in giving the poorer people in society aspiration and pride, thats what owning a home does for many.

Yes its been used and abused over the years, but i'd wager the vast majority of families buying houses, especially in 80's will tell you you're talking nonsense. 

Edited by Gav

They may have had good intentions, but privatisation of so many industries and utilities, and selling off council houses have been pretty bad. The theory was that more people would hold shares, and have their own home to feel proud, have a stake in the country. The reality ended up being houses being bought up by slum landlords, or rich people who can dictate the rental market and make a load of money. The shares sold on for a quick profit to stock brokers and suchlike, and then control of businesses fell into the hands of a few sharks.

I know a few people who have spent the majority of their working lives being "property developers". They didn't start out that way but got into the housing market before the 2005-08 bubble and managed to parlay a house they bought for themselves into owning and subsequently renting out a host of houses. I've no gripe at all against them but I can't see a person in their early 20's being able to do the same now.

First time buyers are being priced out of the market either by expensive house prices, the need for a large down payment, or not earning a wage commensurate to an equivalent of 20-30-40 years ago.

I also agree with the need to build on land within towns that is currently derelict rather than slapping a load of identikit houses out in fields far away from anywhere. The A59 from Whalley to Clitheroe used to be all fields. It now looks completely different.

The government should provide incentives to big builders (buyers too) to redevelop land that has already been used. I don't spend much time in Blackburn when I go home but I'm sure that there are acres and acres of old factories/industrial parks that could be turned into a decent place to live.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Bunkum.

You ask the families across the UK who now own their own home through right to buy if it was an exercise in buying votes and they'll probably tell you it was an exercise in giving the poorer people in society aspiration and pride, thats what owning a home does for many.

Yes its been used and abused over the years, but i'd wager the vast majority of families buying houses, especially in 80's will tell you you're talking cr@p. 

Ask those "poorer people" and they probably wouldn't realise they're part of a great Tory ideological exercise. .

Tories don't do anything that doesn't benefit their donors or their voter base, or make decisions that they see will expand their voter appeal. The Tories believe home owners are more likely to vote Conservafive, hence the bribes handed out to voters since the 1980s in the form of the great council homes sell-off scam and the help to buy and right to buy schemes that have helped to stoke massive house price inflation and supercharged the profits of the big housebuilders - who just happen to be Tory donors, surprise, surprise. . 

From the sound of it, looks like you're one of the ones who have been duped. 

As for "aspiration and pride", there's plenty of wealthy people who have no interest in owning their own homes -  our area has homes rented out to long term tenants at £2,000 plus per month with expensive cars on the drive - while there's lots of "poorer people" who are totally unsuited to owning a home together with a mortgage and all the commitments of home ownership. 

Home ownership is no longer a holy grail for Britons. Many millennials and the generation after them just aren't interested. A healthy and better regulated rental sector on the German model should be welcomed. 

Edited by jim mk2

39 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Ask those "poorer people" and they probably wouldn't realise they're part of a great Tory ideological exercise. .

Tories don't do anything that doesn't benefit their donors or their voter base, or make decisions that they see will expand their voter appeal. The Tories believe home owners are more likely to vote Conservafive, hence the bribes handed out to voters since the 1980s in the form of the great council homes sell-off scam and the help to buy and right to buy schemes that have helped to stoke massive house price inflation and supercharged the profits of the big housebuilders - who just happen to be Tory donors, surprise, surprise. . 

From the sound of it, looks like you're one of the ones who have been duped. 

As for "aspiration and pride", there's plenty of wealthy people who have no interest in owning their own homes -  our area has homes rented out to long term tenants at £2,000 plus per month with expensive cars on the drive - while there's lots of "poorer people" who are totally unsuited to owning a home together with a mortgage and all the commitments of home ownership. 

Home ownership is no longer a holy grail for Britons. Many millennials and the generation after them just aren't interested. A healthy and better regulated rental sector on the German model should be welcomed. 

That post just goes to show how out of touch you are these days Jim, in fact I'm not sure you ever were in touch to be honest.

You only need to read the posts on here from the younger posters that a house is still very much the holly grail, but sadly is out of many peoples reach due to the high deposits required by the banks. 

The rest of your post is arrogant drivel.

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

That post just goes to show how out of touch you are these days Jim, in fact I'm not sure you ever were in touch to be honest.

You only need to read the posts on here from the younger posters that a house is still very much the holly grail, but sadly is out of many peoples reach due to the high deposits required by the banks. 

The rest of your post is arrogant drivel.

As you would say - bunkum.

High deposits driven by high house prices driven by Tory government policy. 

Little wonder that those who want to cannot get on the housing ladder.

Of course the little darlings could forgo their foreign holidays and their restaurant outings and their mobile phones and all over unnecessary expenditure but they won't.

In days gone by, people saved money by making sacrifices.

3 hours ago, Gav said:

Bunkum.

Yes its been used and abused over the years, but i'd wager the vast majority of families buying houses, especially in 80's will tell you you're talking nonsense. 

So how many council house tenants saw the promises made by Thatcher and thought " Bugger that I'm still voting Labour " and how many thought " I'll have a bit of that, it's free money, I'm voting Tory" ?

If you don't think that was an excercise in vote buying you must be more green than I took you for.

On the subject of private rental I saw an article in " Private Eye " last year that said in 2006 the UK private rental sector was the most regulated in the EU. By 2018 it was the least regulated. I wonder why that was ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

18 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Of course the little darlings could forgo their foreign holidays and their restaurant outings and their mobile phones and all over unnecessary expenditure but they won't.

In days gone by, people saved money by making sacrifices.

This is the sort of arrogant bullshit you'd expect to read from a Tory poster formerly of this parish, now posting his pearls of wisdom on another forum. 

Let that sink in for a minute Jim....

22 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

On the subject of private rental I saw an article in " Private Eye " last year that said in 2006 the UK private rental sector was the most regulated in the EU. By 2018 it was the least regulated. I wonder why that was ?

Peter Rachman directing Tory policy from the grave? 

It is true though that when I bought my first house much of the stuff in it was second hand and I'd never had a foreign holiday other than one paid for by my parents. I didn't expect to be able to afford everything.

I don't go on foreign expensive holiday as my Mortgage will always come 1st. I am more than happy to have a few weekends holiday away following Rovers to part of the UK plus a week away in Summer with the family. 

I have always my ambition to owned my own house from my late teens. 

We need to find a way for people to be able to afford the deposit so they can afford their own homes

It's the same now. Certainly for me and my friends. Our first homes (usually rented) were furnished with charity shop furniture, stuff bought off facebook or really really cheap flatpack. It was only when I got a better job that I was able to splash out on a new bed and sofa. A lot of our furniture is still cheap flat pack or upcycled. 

On the points further up, I think owning a home is always the ideal for young people but many give up due to saving for a deposit being impossible. Totally agree that some people prioritise extravagance over saving though but not everyone. 

My No 2 son tells me the DWP are recruiting people in droves to deal with the expected avalanche of Universal Credit claims once the furlough payments etc end. 

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

My No 2 son 

Is that second oldest or second favourite?