A row brewing between NHS and government over money to deal with COVID moving forward.

Rishi Sunak said the government would do whatever it takes help the NHS, Simon Stevens saying they won’t stump up £10bn required moving forward.

Is this more bluff and bluster from the Tories? Watch this space.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

A row brewing between NHS and government over money to deal with COVID moving forward.

Rishi Sunak said the government would do whatever it takes help the NHS, Simon Stevens saying they won’t stump up £10bn required moving forward.

Is this more bluff and bluster from the Tories? Watch this space.

Simon Stevens was on the Andrew Marr Show. Didnt you watch this week Gav? 

Labour Revolt. Len Mccluskey said that Starmer will never be PM unless he adopt Corbyn like Policies. Has he forgotten the last election results and the number of people voting Conservatives has gone by roughly 3 million votes in the last 10 years 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1305268/Labour-crisis-Keir-Starmer-Jeremy-Corbyn-Times-Radio-far-left-purge-latest

I think Starmer will embrace something much closer to something of a mix between 'central' and the 2017 manifesto (the one that was successful), rather than 2019.

23 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I just like radios, oh and watches, oh and most man gadgets.  Never got into cameras though.

I think you're one of these Baby Boomers looking around for things to spend your money on!

Time you made way for the Millennials! :D

Just now, Mike E said:

I think Starmer will embrace something much closer to something of a mix between 'central' and the 2017 manifesto (the one that was successful), rather than 2019.

He'll embrace whatever his donors tell him and whatever he think will win him an election. The man  is a vacuum of nothingness who has stood for nothing his whole life. 

Today is the 72nd anniversary of Labour founding the NHS.

Back in 1948 the Tories fought against it every step of the way because they wanted to keep quality healthcare reserved exclusively for the rich.

They have hated it with a burning ideological passion ever since.

The Tories never can be trusted with our NHS.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

He'll embrace whatever his donors tell him and whatever he think will win him an election. The man  is a vacuum of nothingness who has stood for nothing his whole life. 

Sad as it is to say that sort of blandness is the true sign of winner. Blair, Cameron, Clegg, May, Johnson were/are all politically very bland and moderate and willing to go whichever way the political winds are blowing. You get ideologues like Trump, Thatcher, Corbyn etc but broadly speaking it's more of a hinderence than a help to be too wedded to particular political positions.

And Keir is a good guy in my estimation. Got way more integrity than Johnson, and just as smart. I think he's nailed on to become PM eventually.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Sad as it is to say that sort of blandness is the true sign of winner. Blair, Cameron, Clegg, May, Johnson were/are all politically very bland and moderate and willing to go whichever way the political winds are blowing. You get ideologues like Trump, Thatcher, Corbyn etc but broadly speaking it's more of a hinderence than a help to be too wedded to particular political positions.

And Keir is a good guy in my estimation. Got way more integrity than Johnson, and just as smart. I think he's nailed on to become PM eventually.

How much integrity would you need to have to have more than Johnson ? Would the amount be visible under a microscope ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Johnson was sacked from 2 jobs for lying and does it every week in PMQs, though alot of that is through laziness and lack of preparation and attention to detail. He's also fathered umpteen children by numerous women and is a serial philanderer. Integrity and Johnson in the same sentence does not work. 

Here you are @philipl . 1.57 billions for Cultural, arts and heritage institutions 

Always "world leading" with this government but never works.

Is this "world-leading" £1.5bn arts help as "world-leading" as the tracing app that disappeared without trace? What a load of bullshit. As Starmer said, we don't want "world-leading" anything, just want some signs of competence. 

This is also the government that couldn’t find £100mm for school lunches for working class kids until a footballer launched a popular campaign but can instantly find £1.5bn for the arts.

The Tory magic money tree keeps giving. There must be a lot of Tory MPs grinding their teeth at the government’s largesse.  Almost makes Labour appear miserly

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here you are @philipl . 1.57 billions for Cultural, arts and heritage institutions 

The government has been under increasing pressure to help the arts after warnings the industry would be brought to its knees without government intervention.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theatres-galleries-independent-cinema-lifeline-economy-arts-a9602741.html

They don't have to do it Jodrell, its a welcome cash injection to save jobs and help the economy recover.

Very welcome indeed.

Too late to save the Nuffield in Southampton. Saw a few productions there when I was a student in Winchester 

6 hours ago, jodrell said:

The government has been under increasing pressure to help the arts after warnings the industry would be brought to its knees without government intervention

Yes, and they didn't need Marcus Rashford to shame them into taking action.

But then arts is the world of the elite and Tory donors and not hungry working class families

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Too late to save the Nuffield in Southampton. Saw a few productions there when I was a student in Winchester 

I'm hoping " The Royal Exchange " keeps going in Manchester. That would be a real loss. I had tickets for " West Side Story " in the May. just gone. 

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Posted (edited)

Kim wanted to see that and was planning to take our daughter. We have tickets for the Lowry and are hoping they keep going too. 

On a more personal note my sister in law and her husband run the Market Theatre in Hitchin. A large part of their revenue comes from their adult panto that tours the country with 2 or 3 companies. They've done Thwaites at Blackburn the last couple of years. If they cant tour this year, they could well go out of business

Edited by gumboots

Long-Bailey retweets a 1600 word article and is sacked for what someone else said in a tiny portion of it. With Starmer saying  zero tolerance for antisemitism. Right Wing Labour MP Steven Reed tweets in his own words calling Jewish Richard Desmond a 'puppet master' and keeps his job. Starmer is a complete charlatan, who stands for and believes in nothing and goes which ever way he thinks the wind is blowing. Just look at the mess he has got himself to over BLM, firstly he's taking the knee, then there is a media backlash against them as they dared to criticise Israel so he distances himself from them, leading to a backlash against him so now he has changed direction again and is now undertaking an unconscious bias course.

The sad fact is that both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition believe in nothing and have no vision for this country. They both just go which ever way they think the wind is blowing. Frontline British politics is currently a vacuum of nothingness.

9 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Long-Bailey retweets a 1600 word article and is sacked for what someone else said in a tiny portion of it. With Starmer saying  zero tolerance for antisemitism. Right Wing Labour MP Steven Reed tweets in his own words calling Jewish Richard Desmond a 'puppet master' and keeps his job. Starmer is a complete charlatan, who stands for and believes in nothing and goes which ever way he thinks the wind is blowing. Just look at the mess he has got himself to over BLM, firstly he's taking the knee, then there is a media backlash against them as they dared to criticise Israel so he distances himself from them, leading to a backlash against him so now he has changed direction again and is now undertaking an unconscious bias course.

The sad fact is that both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition believe in nothing and have no vision for this country. They both just go which ever way they think the wind is blowing. Frontline British politics is currently a vacuum of nothingness.

Certainly Starmer has a political balancing act to perform. It goes with the territory. He could be like Corbyn but would get exactly the same result.

As for Long-Bailey I suspect he wanted rid of her anyway because she is a waste of space.

Who, with leadership aspirations. retweets a 1600 word article without checking the veracity of it?

1 hour ago, philipl said:

It's exactly why at the last election I barely even looked at policies when making my mind up. His track record since coming into office last june/july was enough for me that he would treat everyone and parliament with utter contempt. You expect most politicians to be creative with the truth but he just goes several steps too far. 

1.5bn for arts and only £3bn for a ‘green recovery’ is a kick in the nuts. Is arts half the problem climate change is? I’d say not. 

Put a comparative figure to the problem. £3bn is a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of the world. I don’t care about being world leading in arts, we are supposed to be actually leading the world on climate change. 

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

we are supposed to be actually leading the world on climate change. 

We can't even process our own waste in this country, so I think this is a pipe dream...