Sign in to follow this  
K-Hod

Politics

Sajid Javid was also prudent on spending whereas Boris wants more money spent on public services. It’s been a spoke about “beef” for some time now. 

No 11 and No 10 always have friction. If the new chancellor continues with the trend of Tories increasing spending then I’m all for it.

22 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Sajid Javid was also prudent on spending whereas Boris wants more money spent on public services. It’s been a spoke about “beef” for some time now. 

No 11 and No 10 always have friction. If the new chancellor continues with the trend of Tories increasing spending then I’m all for it.

Increasing spending is all well and good, but will it be a level that takes us back to world-revered services or the current just under bare minimum?

29 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So it's OK for Tories to be fiscally irresponsible but not Labour. 

Yet again, the Tories have adopted Labour's manifesto

Javid has certainly gone up in my estimations, to tell Cummings/Johnson that he won't sit back and watch them decimate his department is commendable. Maybe now he can concentrate on calling out Islamophobia in the Tory party, something he seemed to forget about when promoted to number 11.

Julian Smith, NI secretary, has been sacked after playing a major role in restoring the Stormont Assembley, you can only assume he was seen as someone who has overachieved and we can't have that can we!

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

According to Dominic Cummings, Johnson will remain as prime minister (for now)

It's the nearest we've been to a parliamentary dictatorship since 1945. At least we had a reason then.

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

Javid has certainly gone up in my estimations, to tell Cummings/Johnson that he won't sit back and watch them decimate his department is commendable. Maybe now he can concentrate on calling out Islamophobia in the Tory party, something he seemed to forget about when promoted to number 11.

Julian Smith, NI secretary, has been sacked after playing a major role in restoring the Stormont Assembley, you can only assume he was seen as someone who has overachieved and we can't have that can we!

Maybe his dad can put a good word in for him on the buses ?

So let’s say for example, that we have a man who was born in New York, who committed a crime by illegally closing down Parliament, who had been recorded planning an assault on a rival, who had the police called out to them because of claims of domestic violence when they been heard saying “get off my f’ing laptop”. Are we seriously suggesting that they should be allowed to stay in the UK? Oh, hang on......

With credit to Mark Steel.

How long will it be before the next Minister gets to " sleep with the fishes " courtesy of Mad Dom ? The sacking of the one minister to achieve something in Northern Ireland in the last 10 years was an act of pure spite. Johnson and Cummings have now almost completely surrounded themselves with lightweight nodding dogs and yes men. When the Brexit balloon goes up shortly will the apprentices be capable of preventing a disaster ?

Jake Berry has been pushed to the back benches claiming he turned down a job "With lots of foreign travel" due to having a young family, pull the other one Jake :rolleyes:

He's held a position as 'Northern Powerhouse and Local Growth Minister' for a few years and I can't think of one positive thing he's done locally whilst in that position, but I'm happy to be proven wrong? 

The cull continues.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Jake Berry has been pushed to the back benches claiming he turned down a job "With lots of foreign travel" due to having a young family, pull the other one Jake :rolleyes:

He's held a position as 'Northern Powerhouse and Local Growth Minister' for a few years and I can't think of one positive thing he's done locally whilst in that position, but I'm happy to be proven wrong? 

The cull continues.

In fairness to him (which I'm loathe to say) he has 3 chn, the oldest about 4 years old and the youngest being only 2 weeks old.

I wouldn't take a job that meant travelling with the foreign office either.

4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

In fairness to him (which I'm loathe to say) he has 3 chn, the oldest about 4 years old and the youngest being only 2 weeks old.

Mm, three toddlers. Plenty of guys I know would jump at the chance to get away for a while.  I never really liked working away from home but some of my old workmates loved it.

41 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Maybe he's in the wrong career then Mike, but in reality it says:

"Not the job I wanted or expected" 

That bit of film of the Cabinet meeting was totally embarrassing. Johnson getting grown adults to shout out in unison like year 5 kids. Then the new boy chancellor sat next to Johnson gazing longingly in his eyes. Was he sat that close so Johnson could work him more easily ?  That old James and Bobby Purify song came into my head - " I'm Your Puppet ".

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

46 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That bit of film of the Cabinet meeting was totally embarrassing. Johnson getting grown adults to shout out in unison like year 5 kids. Then the new boy chancellor sat next to Johnson gazing longingly

Absolutely excruciating to watch. Reinforces the view that Johnson is a buffoon. 

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He must be on something, no normal adult would behave like that.

Multi-millionaire Conservatives don't represent normality 😕

On 14/02/2020 at 13:09, Mike E said:

I agree Mike. He does have a young family. So fair play him for saying no

It's depressing the way this country is going and it gets worse by the day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51535367

To recap, this No 10 "eugenics adviser", among other controversial comments, has spoken of the need to have “universal contraception” to prevent a “permanent underclass” and said black people on average have lower IQs.

If someone who holds these repellent prejudices, which have more than a whiff of Nazism about them, cannot be removed from Downing Street in short order, the UK is basically done for.

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

To recap, this No 10 "eugenics adviser", among other controversial comments, has spoken of the need to have “universal contraception” to prevent a “permanent underclass” and said black people on average have lower IQs.

If someone who holds these repellent prejudices, which have more than a whiff of Nazism about them, cannot be removed from Downing Street in short order, the UK is basically done for.

RESIGNED SACKED ALREADY!

Just now, Husky said:

RESIGNED SACKED ALREADY!

Even too toxic for the Tory party ! 

15 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

A government 'Super Forecaster' - Pity he never saw the sack coming. 

The hiring and firing of the advisor is the sort of thing that would have been politically terminal in the pre trump era. Wonder if Boris can just ride it out.

Comes down to whether the people who voted for him are bothered about a guy with those views being hired by number 10. In the US they don't really care about the views of Bannon et al as fundamentally a big part of the republican base is - to not put too fine a point on it - racist, but I don't think UK is that far gone (maybe being a bit optimistic here).

Ill read with interest what the Telegraph, Daily Mail, Sun and Express make of it. I suspect Telegraph will be appropriately mortified, Mail and Express will pretend it hasn't happened. The Sun could give the Cons a hard time though as they do have quite a lot of minority readers.

Two big body blows for Cummings in the space of five days.