55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

The causes of the extreme weather are undeniable. Gcvernment is responsible for trying to prevent it and dealing with its consequences. On the latter, this one has failed. 

Labour is a broad church. Even unprincipled, wavering Tory supporters are allowed in. 

Once again ignorant of all evidence.

I’d argue calling swing voters unprincipled isn’t the best way to get them back to the party. Then again you were canvassing on the doors during this election and given the landslide defeat the Labour Party had I can very much see why. 

Politics in this county is very polarised. You don’t have to be blue or red, you can have principles that transcend boundaries. You are only part of the problem but that problem is there in both parties clearly. The hard right and hard left have taken over, the man in the middle is left wondering which side is worst. Yours is losing right now. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The causes of the extreme weather are undeniable. Gcvernment is responsible for trying to prevent it and dealing with its consequences. On the latter, this one has failed. 

Labour is a broad church. Even unprincipled, wavering Tory supporters are allowed in. 

In Wales Plaid Cymru have stated that it is the Welsh Government - which is Labour- that have failed.

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Once again missing the point.

You either have beliefs or you don't. You don't appear to have any that count for much. 

Canvassing during the election was very enjoyable, talking to the public, hearing what they had to say. We never argued on the doorstep, just took note of what people were saying, politely stating our case, thanked them for their time and moved on. You wouldn't know because you've never done it. You haven't a clue.

Politics is polarised and likely to stay that way, especially if Trump gets in again. Labour is likely to move towards the centre if Starmer is elected, while the Tories are in the grip of a nasty right wing cabal.  At the moment you are winning and it must make you feel very proud. 

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

In Wales Plaid Cymru have stated that it is the Welsh Government - which is Labour- that have failed.

MRD. "They would, wouldn't they?"

6 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

You queried whether Corbyn should be there when his presence would obviously be inappropriate as this is national emergency and prime minister is supposed to be in charge.

The criticism he has received shows that Johnson demonstrating support and sympathy would have been welcomed by those affected.  

Events from the past are irrelevant and is just whataboutery. The Tories have been in charge for 10 years and have consistently failed to invest in flood defences and infrastructure in general. Cameron promised to do something permanently to fix the rail when it was washed away at Dawlish a few years ago but went back to London and nothing was done. 

This is a government that has cut back on public spending for years - and the current crisis is what you get when you failed to invest and try to do things on the cheap. That's not blinkered - it's a matter of fact

Climate change whatabouttery.

People want to live near rivers and spend most of the year thinking it's all lovely but Rivers flood. Always have done. Always will do. Let them pay big insurance premiums. I live on a hill and really have no sympathy at all.

Pretty sure there is a climate change myth thread. This is politics.

Well done to successive Tory governments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51543521

Compare this to EU countries like Ireland who are voting Sinn Fein because their country is basically fucked, where nobody can afford a house and their healthcare is a crisis in chaos.

However Labour think they should get in bed with Sinn Fein... Corbynists still courting the terrorists.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/labour-row-support-sinn-fein-rebecca-long-bailey-manifesto-1877314

19 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

People want to live near rivers and spend most of the year thinking it's all lovely but Rivers flood. Always have done. Always will do. Let them pay big insurance premiums. I live on a hill and really have no sympathy at all.

Charming.

Hope the hill doesn't prove too problematic when you get older. 

23 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I thought the idea of Brexit was that we would no longer be run by unelected bureaucrats?

Cummings thought it was a good idea to hire "superforecaster" Sabisky .....says it all about him doesn't it? 

Edited by jim mk2

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I thought the idea of Brexit was that we would no longer be run by unelected bureaucrats?

Cummings thought it was a good idea to hire "superforecaster" Sabisky .....says it all about him doesn't it? 

Thought you would appreciate the Lenin and Mao references Jim.

8 hours ago, gumboots said:

The last person I'd want to see at any time is Johnson, but as PM many people expect him to look concerned enough to visit even if hes not

I used to carry a card in my wallet that  I got from " Private Eye " years ago. It said words to effect of  " In the event of the bearer of this card being taken into hospital under no circumstances must he be visited by Margaret Thatcher ".

8 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Things are going horrifically for you all left over there in what's left of the UK.

1) you have the PM in thrall to a eugenicist. The 27 year old kid was chosen because he says what Cummins believes if you travel through Cummins supposedly brilliant but in fact deranged writings.

2) the ERG are getting what they want from Brexit which is wholesale destruction of British productive assets which the asset strippers can sweep up for a song using the cheap money made available from.the National Debt going to stratospheric highs.

3) the Cabinet comprises utter non-entities.

The only hope is Johnson is treating Number 10 like it is an extension of the London Mayor's office. He could hide his inept incompetence in City Hall by the occasional grand standing stunt. The national media is a bit more diverse than the Lebedev owned Standard...

8 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Well done to successive Tory governments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51543521

Compare this to EU countries like Ireland who are voting Sinn Fein because their country is basically fucked, where nobody can afford a house and their healthcare is a crisis in chaos.

However Labour think they should get in bed with Sinn Fein... Corbynists still courting the terrorists.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/labour-row-support-sinn-fein-rebecca-long-bailey-manifesto-1877314

Have you been to Ireland to see how "fucked" it is? Most folk in Blackburn would be very happy to live in such a ",fucked" way.

Philip, most people in Blackburn have had the opportunity to move to Ireland under the EU laws, but have chosen not to.

Everybody in Blackburn has had the opportunity to move to Preston, Manchester, London etc but have chosen not to.

Just like Ireland, all are wealthier than Blackburn on a per capita basis.

51 minutes ago, philipl said:

Everybody in Blackburn has had the opportunity to move to Preston, Manchester, London etc but have chosen not to.

Everybody in Blackburn does have the opportunity to move, and, in fact many do, to Manchester Preston London, and all over the world.

Very few seem to move to Eire.

I'm surprised the Issa brothers haven't de camped already.

3 hours ago, dave birch said:

Everybody in Blackburn does have the opportunity to move, and, in fact many do, to Manchester Preston London, and all over the world.

I contribute to other sites on a variety of subjects. What never ceases to amaze me about British ex-pats ( Immigrants ) on all these sites is that the further they live from the UK the more they are in favour of Brexit. I don't quite get that one.

4 hours ago, dave birch said:

This is just Philip's alternate reality where everything about Blackburn is shit and the UK is shit as well.

Meanwhile in the real world....

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I contribute to other sites on a variety of subjects. What never ceases to amaze me about British ex-pats ( Immigrants ) on all these sites is that the further they live from the UK the more they are in favour of Brexit. I don't quite get that one.

Immigrants who don't like immigrants. Ex-pats don't do irony. 

9 hours ago, philipl said:

What does this even mean.? Ramblings 

9 hours ago, philipl said:

This is a really bizarre post, I’ll be honest. I don’t think this is true of everyone in Blackburn at all, not even a majority either.

Can’t people just live where they want?

10 hours ago, dave birch said:

Philip, most people in Blackburn have had the opportunity to move to Ireland under the EU laws, but have chosen not to.

Putting my post in context.

13 hours ago, philipl said:

Things are going horrifically for you all left over there in what's left of the UK.

1) you have the PM in thrall to a eugenicist. The 27 year old kid was chosen because he says what Cummins believes if you travel through Cummins supposedly brilliant but in fact deranged writings.

2) the ERG are getting what they want from Brexit which is wholesale destruction of British productive assets which the asset strippers can sweep up for a song using the cheap money made available from.the National Debt going to stratospheric highs.

3) the Cabinet comprises utter non-entities.

The only hope is Johnson is treating Number 10 like it is an extension of the London Mayor's office. He could hide his inept incompetence in City Hall by the occasional grand standing stunt. The national media is a bit more diverse than the Lebedev owned Standard...

phillipl, you've been a constant prophet peddling doom and gloom on here for as long as I can remember. Whether that be with regards to The Rovers, Brexit, UK politics or Trump. You post thousands of times and clearly believe in what you post. I'd love to know, have any of your prophecies been proven to be correct?

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

This is a really bizarre post, I’ll be honest. I don’t think this is true of everyone in Blackburn at all, not even a majority either.

Can’t people just live where they want?

It’s not bizarre when put in context.

Edit, just seen Mr L has said the same thing.

Edited by oldjamfan1