It's laughable reading about all these wonderful trade deals.

The recently agreed Japan deal will boost the UK economy by 0.07 per cent (hurrah) and is worse in many respects than the previous EU-Japan deal which we part of while any deal with the EU will not come close to replicating the benefits of being a member of the single market.

As for fishing, it's worth about 0.1 per cent of UK GDP but if it prevents a EU-UK trade deal being agreed has the potential to cause massive disruption to the economy. Fishing is like coal mining.....it's a tough, hard job and no one wants to do it any more. 

The President of the European Commission has been speaking this morning in her state of the union address to the European Parliament.

It's worth repeating her words, to show Brexiteers and the UK government what having principles means:

“This Withdrawal Agreement took three years to negotiate, and we worked relentlessly on it, line by line, word by word, together we’ve succeeded.

“And the result guarantees our citizens’ rights, financial interests, the integrity of the single market and crucially the Good Friday Agreement. The European Union and the UK jointly agreed it was the best, and only way, for ensuring peace on the island of Ireland.

“We will never backtrack on that. And this agreement has been ratified by this house and by the House of Commons. It cannot be unilaterally changed, disregarded or disapplied. This is a matter of law, trust and good faith."

Just now, RoverDom said:

You said that with a straight face didnt you 😂😂😂

I would. Negotioating is all about being a bit of a dick tbh. You dont get anywhere being nicey nice. Whatever it takes to get the best possible outcome. My issue is I dont think that the best possible outcome will be any  better than not having left the EU but that's a debate that's been done to death. 

I've never really rated her but even the dampest squib Miliband made boris look like an idiot so will be interesting to see how she does. 

I rate her and like her passion and feisty manner. 

5 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I rate her and like her passion and feisty manner. 

I've maybe not given her a chance. I agree theres a lot of fire and passion in what she says but I find that it's not as calculated and precise as some. A complete contrast to starmer who I think could do with a bit more passion at times. 

39 minutes ago, den said:

I’m telling you that the government is full of liars. I thought you might have come back on that one?

But it just isn't Conservative MP's who endorsed the Internal Market Bill. Also you just admitted that you don't have clue what going on negotiations so I do you know that what the Prime Minister and other MP's who supported the internal Market Bill are liars? why do you think this bill is being introduce and been endorsed by businesses in the UK. 

Also Den, which PM told the nation that Iraq had WMD's? who was that Den? ;)

40 minutes ago, den said:

I have no idea what’s happening in the negotiations Gav, nor do you.

Well you have told what the EU have done but you are in a state of denial. 

12 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

You said that with a straight face didnt you 😂😂😂

No I didn't but with one of these :D

33 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I would. Negotioating is all about being a bit of a dick tbh. You dont get anywhere being nicey nice. Whatever it takes to get the best possible outcome. 

If it gets us a decent deal I'm all for it too, but the fact that Boris never actually wanted a deal makes me somewhat sceptical about the motives, but time will tell.

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But it just isn't Conservative MP's who endorsed the Internal Market Bill. Also you just admitted that you don't have clue what going on negotiations so I do you know that what the Prime Minister and other MP's who supported the internal Market Bill are liars? why do you think this bill is being introduce and been endorsed by businesses in the UK. 

Also Den, which PM told the nation that Iraq had WMD's? who was that Den? ;)

Well you have told what the EU have done but you are in a state of denial. 

That takes some untangling Chaddy. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make about the internal markets bill, but there is a difference between you and me as to whether lies are acceptable or whether it’s right to break international law.

Blair was never found guilty of lieing over WMD’s even after was it four enquiries? It was the American defence forces who accused the Iraqis of having them. 

you know as much about the brexit negotiations as me or Gav - nothing.

Usually when a country's leader decides to break international law, Britain slaps them back down.

The fact we're trying to do it ourselves is the most anti-British thing I can think of. I can't imagine anyone who is truly proud of being British being anything but ashamed of us if we go ahead.

Edited by Mike E

13 minutes ago, den said:

Blair was never found guilty of lieing over WMD’s even after was it four enquiries

Looked at the Chilcot report carefully.

536. In the foreword, Mr Blair stated that he believed the “assessed intelligence” had “established beyond doubt” that Saddam Hussein had “continued to produce chemical and biological weapons, that he continues in his efforts to develop nuclear weapons, and that he had been able to extend the range of his ballistic missile programme”.

https://www.businessinsider.com/iraq-war-chilcot-report-did-tony-blair-lie-about-wmd-2016-7?r=US&IR=T

13 minutes ago, den said:

It was the American defence forces who accused the Iraqis of having them. 

I have already posted in the past about our how Knight Ridder Washington reporters Warren Strobel and Jonathan Landay reported about Bush and government in the Iraq war. There is a film called Shock and awe about it. Available on Amazon now. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

The recently agreed Japan deal will boost the UK economy by 0.07 per cent (hurrah) and is worse in many respects than the previous EU-Japan deal which we part of while any deal with the EU will not come close to replicating the benefits of being a member of the single market.

Here's the "best" bit Jim, and I know you won't miss the irony, the trade deal with Japan imposes more restrictions on State Aid to industry than the one with the EU did!

Isn't that absolutely incredible?

Tony Blair is nothing short of a war criminal, and a lasting legacy of that famous "new Labour" is one of blood and toil in the Middle East as a result of his love affair with Bush. Or should I say, as a result of Bush playing him like a fiddle.

Should be noted that the Tories voted for it too. 

He can bleat all he wants about his remorse and how that decision will "haunt him forever" but people lost sons, brothers and cousins in Iraq / Afghanistan and Blair's "sleepless" nights in his luxurious pad, coupled with his thousands of pounds a night after dinner speaking, doesn't bring much comfort to anyone but himself. 

It's about time we started to sod the idea of foreign excursions in the name of 'democracy' and 'freedom' because they wouldn't do the same to us. Retreat into our own bubble, and should trouble arrive on our doorsteps (Europe) then act. Until then let Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan govern themselves and be free from the influence of people pushing an agenda.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

2 excellent questions by 2 Labour MP's to the Justice Secretary Robert Buckland. 

Chris Bryant asked about tougher sentencing for assaults on our emergency services staff and courts not following the sentencing guidelines. 

Tony Lloyd asked about the victims of the sexual gangs in Rochdale and blocking the people who committed these offence from finding these victims again after their release and protect these victims 

39 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

It's about time we started to sod the idea of foreign excursions in the name of 'democracy' and 'freedom' because they wouldn't do the same to us. Retreat into our own bubble, and should trouble arrive on our doorsteps (Europe) then act. Until then let Syria, Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan govern themselves and be free from the influence of people pushing an agenda.

I agree with you that's we should leave other countries to govern themselves. We should advice and support any country who wants it in terms of like justice system or parliament/election systems but that's it. 

I'm trying not to laugh but why would anyone want our advice on government? Parliament is largely irrelevant here nowadays

"Number 10 spokesman" is wrong to claim the Salisbury Convention applies to the Internal Market Bill. I am afraid this demonstrates just how little the Number 10 team understands Parliament.

@AndrewSparrow
· Sep 15
No 10 claims internal market bill covered by Salisbury convention, meaning peers must accept it - https://theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/sep/15/uk-coronavirus-live-covid-19-second-wave-testing-capacity-government-brexit-politics-boris-johnson?page=with:block-5f60ba8d8f08d791fb6b36ce#block-5f60ba8d8f08d791fb6b36ce

No words are needed from any law commentator to describe this performance from the Lord High Chancellor The performance speaks for itself Watch it

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Here's the "best" bit Jim, and I know you won't miss the irony, the trade deal with Japan imposes more restrictions on State Aid to industry than the one with the EU did!

Isn't that absolutely incredible?

Make Britain great again by selling cheese to Japan who are not known as cheese eaters. Hitting the big time now eh? 

24 minutes ago, philipl said:

Angela Rayner has hit Johnson with a succession of zingers at PMQ.

I thought Johnson saw her off by continually repeating that UK is testing more than any other comparable country in Europe.

But I did like the ‘Kier’ question :D

1 hour ago, Gav said:

I thought Johnson saw her off by continually repeating that UK is testing more than any other comparable country in Europe.

But I did like the ‘Kier’ question :D

Malta is testing at 5 times per capita of the rate the UK is.

2 hours ago, philipl said:
"Number 10 spokesman" is wrong to claim the Salisbury Convention applies to the Internal Market Bill. I am afraid this demonstrates just how little the Number 10 team understands Parliament.

@AndrewSparrow
· Sep 15
No 10 claims internal market bill covered by Salisbury convention, meaning peers must accept it - https://theguardian.com/politics/live/2020/sep/15/uk-coronavirus-live-covid-19-second-wave-testing-capacity-government-brexit-politics-boris-johnson?page=with:block-5f60ba8d8f08d791fb6b36ce#block-5f60ba8d8f08d791fb6b36ce

I for one would hope that the Salisbury Convention does apply to the Internal Market Bill. As I understand it the convention is that the Lords will not vote against a bill that brings into law anything in the current governing party’s manifesto. As the Conservative party manifesto for the last election went on about how important upholding the rule of international law was, then I would assume that means that under the convention the Lords are honour bound to vote against it.

13 minutes ago, philipl said:

It's much easier to roll out a mass testing programme when you have a population of 12 people

15 minutes ago, philipl said:

How long has Malta been comparable to U.K.? 

Sheffield has more people living in the city than the entire population of Malta.

Latest daft as a brush stuff from Boris.

When challenged on 10m covid tests he said he doesn't recognise that number- it was in his Moonshot document last week.

When told the EU would levy WTO tariffs (as they are obliged to by WTO rules) on a no deal, Johnson replied "we will retaliate and do the same". Government has already stated no tariffs will be levied from 1 January 2021 because the systems and mechanisms to do so won't be ready for at least six months after.

Claims pregnancy style Covid testing almost there (scientists disagree)

And this stinking heap of corruption:  https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/16/alternative-to-irish-backstop-consultant-shanker-singham-in-line-for-200m-contract

Edited by philipl