1 hour ago, gumboots said:

And yet he claims to watch and follow every debate far more than most of us would claim to. I can understand people having different views. I can't understand people being so dogmatic that they can't even allow others to think differently

That's bonus of parliament tv channel.and internet service. You watch it and catch up.with it 24 hours a day. 

They even show live debates in the commons on there. 

Maybe watch a full day of debate and what MP's say? Why not? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't it the parents responsible to feed them? Yes some parents do need extra financial help and that's why we seen Increase in welfare payments have happened to help less well off families. Those payments will keep increasing aswell

But there is also issues that need tackling this problem like this one

1. Making mum and dad pay child maintenance after all they are parent to this child at the end of the day. So they need to take responsibility for the actions? Take two people to tango in the end. Do you agree? 

2. Also when school vouchers were provided to a number of parents were using them to buy alcohol or computer consoles with them during lockdown restrictions? Was that for children or themselves? I've been told of this from several different sources. Surely this is wrong and should be stop? 

3. Also given parents better training with cooking lessons as some parents do not know how to cook unless it is something done in microwave or hot water for pot noodles or super noodles. Do you agree? 

4. Reducing teenage pregnancies and give better information to them to schools with career advice, financial advice, etc. Do you agree?

About all that is missing from this post is the call to send kids off out to the workhouse and up chimneys.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Not sly at all. You panned me once for mentioning your daughter in a perfectly innocent post. I wouldn't want anyone else to offend you

How your local MP voted:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/18814183.child-poverty-debate-east-lancashire-mps-voted-marcus-rashfords-free-school-meal-campaign/

Hang your heads in shame Lancashire Tory MP’s, absolutely disgusting.

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/child-poverty-devastating-lancashire-having-18142327

In one part of Accrington surrounding Bullough Park, a shocking 77% of children are estimated to be living in poverty - the worst in the county’

Edited by Gav

2 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Not sly at all. You panned me once for mentioning your daughter in a perfectly innocent post. I wouldn't want anyone else to offend you

Yet he used his daughter to create a fictional parents evening scenario as a reason not to be at a game . Meltdown when he was called out 

43 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Reply likely to be but I didn’t Dom I got a job and I’m fine . Empathy ? Never heard of her 

It's like you have a crystal ball. 

Short of promotion I can't remember the message board being so united...

1 minute ago, Blue blood said:

Short of promotion I can't remember the message board being so united...

Yet nobody is surprised at the exception to the rule !

I remember as a youngster having the kind of "we shouldnt be paying for chavs to have babies, they'll just spend it on drugs, it's their problem" type views. It's some thing I grew out of. It appears some people dont. I can understand where the resentment comes from but it's not right. 

2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I remember as a youngster having the kind of "we shouldnt be paying for chavs to have babies, they'll just spend it on drugs, it's their problem" type views. It's some thing I grew out of. It appears some people dont. I can understand where the resentment comes from but it's not right. 

I was like that as a teenager , with quite a tribal binary outlook on politics .... but you  grow up don’t you 

Theres also the other hypocrisy that I've seen on social media

"Why should we send money to Johnny foreigner, when we have poverty in our own country we should be fixing" 

"Maybe we should feed these poor kids"

"Bloody scroungers no way" 

Hit the north's economy and refused to help hungry schoolchildren...... surefire vote winners with the Red Wall. 

33 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Hit the north's economy and refused to help hungry schoolchildren...... surefire vote winners with the Red Wall. 

Osborne and Cameron attacked people on low incomes, plunged children into poverty, attacked disabled benefits, messed up universal credit and imposed a bedroom tax, all in the name of austerity.

Proved to be a vote winner :blink:

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't it the parents responsible to feed them? Yes some parents do need extra financial help and that's why we seen Increase in welfare payments have happened to help less well off families. Those payments will keep increasing aswell

But there is also issues that need tackling this problem like this one

1. Making mum and dad pay child maintenance after all they are parent to this child at the end of the day. So they need to take responsibility for the actions? Take two people to tango in the end. Do you agree? 

2. Also when school vouchers were provided to a number of parents were using them to buy alcohol or computer consoles with them during lockdown restrictions? Was that for children or themselves? I've been told of this from several different sources. Surely this is wrong and should be stop? 

3. Also given parents better training with cooking lessons as some parents do not know how to cook unless it is something done in microwave or hot water for pot noodles or super noodles. Do you agree? 

4. Reducing teenage pregnancies and give better information to them to schools with career advice, financial advice, etc. Do you agree?

As a general policy, yes I agree with what you say. In the middle of a pandemic, however, it's out of touch nonsense. Particularly point number 2 which is drivel taken straight from page 13 of the Sun.

Some things do need a sticking plaster WHILE the wider problem is sorted out.

Jeremy (H)unt a multi millionaire who was delighted at saving a few quid on his lunch at tax payers expense, yet he doesn't worry about school children not being able to eat. Not to mention the fact that this man was Health Secretary at the time of Exercise Cygnus and he failed to act on that meaning that this country was totally unprepared for a pandemic. To quote Angela Rayner 'scum'.

Edited by Ewood Ace

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Jeremy (H)unt a multi millionaire who was delighted at saving a few quid on his lunch at tax payers expense, yet he doesn't worry about school children not being able to eat. Not to mention the fact that this man was Health Secretary at the time of Exercise Cygnus and he failed to act on that meaning that this country being totally unprepared for a pandemic. To quote Angela Rayner 'scum'.

He should be called Isaac.

Shameful doesn't do him justice.

Out of Chaddy's 4 pts he has suggested: 1) Making parents pay their fair share. 2) Punishing those parents that manipulate the welfare system for their own benefit. 3) Providing parents with home economic skills (especially important if you are a 17 year old parent). 4) Education to prevent teenage pregnancy.

Can someone point out to me why this is such a heartless comment?

All of this is besides the point, in particular because he said "but there is also issues that need tackling", because those recommendations alone aren't enough to stave the hunger of children. 

It begs belief that we are now in a position as a country (5th most advanced in the world) where we are having to actually seriously consider feeding families over school holidays. My parents made enormous sacrifices when I was younger - I am the child of teenage parents, one jobless the other enjoyed a rave and a football match at the time - but I can honestly say I was never hungry growing up. When I was born they did what all adults should do and grow up. Times have changed massively in them years if my parents could survive and now parents can't. I don't think parents have got any less caring, so the next logical step is to look at the finances of the working-class.

1) Higher rents / house costs.

2) Stagnated wages, zero hours contracts, job losses (Covid)

3) Higher cost of living - food, toiletries, childrens "luxuries" (you try telling a child he can't have a PS5 when all of his friends have one, or that he can't attend the £250.00 school trip)

4) Higher costs of 'adult' luxuries, ie: tobacco, alcohol. This is all part of our social make up and to try and deny poor people the access to this is pretty elitist.

So in reality the crux of the matter is stagnant wages because if these had gone up in line with the rest adults could still afford the lives they had in the 90s along with feeding their kids.

The only problem is that once you start feeding these children it validates the parents' behaviour. It's a real tricky situation, the easy step is to just throw money at it and start picking up the slack but the welfare state of the early 2000s shown us that once you start to facilitate behaviour like that it becomes a natural part of peoples' lives. I know of families I grew up with whose mothers took with both hands from the state, the children had a nice flat screen tele but frozen food every night. Changing those habits is more important than it is plugging the gaps, but we must also be careful not to let children slip through the net in our attempts to change those habits. On this basis I'd be supportive of feeding children in non-school times but only temporarily, with a review happening every school year to see if the situation around food poverty / general poverty has improved. It might give people the kick up the arse they need in government to actually level up the working class.

The Tories have obviously found the magic money tree when they found £12bn for their failed track and trace and £500m for the Eat Out to Help Out.

So how do they justify not providing relatively small amounts to feed hungry poor children over Christmas? And before the people who shout about "it's the parents responsibility" that is true to some extent but why should children go hungry through no fault of their own? 

Should those children be put into care, which would cost significantly more? Should we stop giving free education and leave it up to the responsibility of parents?

We literally are waiting for fires to happen and trying to extinguish them, instead of planning ahead to prevent fire occurring in the first place. 

32 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Out of Chaddy's 4 pts he has suggested: 1) Making parents pay their fair share. 2) Punishing those parents that manipulate the welfare system for their own benefit. 3) Providing parents with home economic skills (especially important if you are a 17 year old parent). 4) Education to prevent teenage pregnancy.

Can someone point out to me why this is such a heartless comment?

Nothing inherently wrong with any of those points. You shouldn't have a child if you cant afford it or know how to look after it, benefit cheats should be punished. But theres an under tone of ALL struggling parents being waste of space benefit cheats who dont care about their kids. 

I'm sure a lot of these parents are making a lot of sacrifices to do the best for their kids and many are now being forced to make a sacrifice of 20% of their already quite low salary. The least we could do is help them out with food. 

6 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Nothing inherently wrong with any of those points. You shouldn't have a child if you cant afford it or know how to look after it, benefit cheats should be punished. But theres an under tone of ALL struggling parents being waste of space benefit cheats who dont care about their kids. 

I'm sure a lot of these parents are making a lot of sacrifices to do the best for their kids and many are now being forced to make a sacrifice of 20% of their already quite low salary. The least we could do is help them out with food. 

Exactly. Don't forget Chaddy made all these points in defence of a Tory MP voting against free school meal vouchers. In other words there was more than an undertone of ALL parents being like this, it was heavily implied and scarcely below the surface.