Just now, Ewood Ace said:

So are you a supporter of eugenics or not ? It's a simple yes or no question.

Can you read? If so it’s in the 4 words. 

Just now, matt83 said:

Can you read? If so it’s in the 4 words. 

You said that you weren't advocating it but the post before that one rather looked like you were advocating it. Which is why I asked yes or no are you in favour of eugenics? 

You said that you weren't advocating it but the post before that one rather looked like you were advocating it. Which is why I asked yes or no are you in favour of eugenics? 

No. 

Look if it makes you all better to think someone is Hitler or scum for thinking the lions share of the blame for not feeding your own children lies primarily with the parents regardless of economic hardships then fine. I take the alternative view of personal responsibility

Great stuff as always on here. 👏

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

No Mike, we have provided funding to local councils which isn't ring fenced and allow the council leaders to decide depending on what they deem the needs in those areas. I have posted the funding we have received from Government for our area we live in. The government isn't making parents struggled at all Mike when you consider all the financial help they made available during this Covid-19 crisis. People who are struggling have the welfare system there for them through Universal Credit systems like people who lose their jobs or have their hours cut, etc. 

The way you improve things is by creating more jobs, good economy and NHS. Plus building more homes so more people can get a mortgage and their first home. Plus the four points I posted on Thursday in tackling this long term problem which it is parents paying their fair share for the children they both bought into the work, Cooking lesses and courses for parents who don't know how to provide a proper cooking meal, 

Yes my dad did work long hours when I was young children but he was always there anytime I needed. in the last few years of his working life he worked so many hours so he had more money for after retirement for travelling and Holiday purposes. Just like both parents are there even now for me even if it on a phone which isn't ideal. I missed cooking for them on Sunday's and other times due to current covid-19 restrictions.

Already addressed all these points.

'Unringfenced funding' which amounts to much less than is needed to solve the problem (after already slashing their budgets) isn't ACTUALLY giving councils funding. It is throwing tuppence at the street beggar when the better approach would be to give him a sandwich and offer him advice on where he can go to get out of the cold. This government is good at throwing pennies and you keep lapping it up as generosity.

Financial help: Yes, I agree they did well for the first 6 months, however during that time they failed to address the actual problem. Now we're back to square one, and parents can only get 66% instead of 80%, and in a botched tiering system that still forces people to stay away from loved ones. YES they are forcing people to suffer.

Universal Credit: Takes an average of 5 weeks to process. Would you manage for 5 weeks without ANY income? Don't bother answering that one, you probably think everyone can just walk into another job.

The paragraph about bringing children into the world: I agree with you IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. These are NOT normal circumstances, so need quicker and temporary solutions.

Your parents: With due respect, bully for you. You don't realise how lucky you are that your parents were able to give you that time. Many parents aren't able to, regardless of what you think they 'should' do.

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Seriously how can all of his points be missed in one post so much!?! 

Why bother responding if you are going to ignore the vast bulk of what he says and then twist the bits you pick out? The issue on finance was that it wasn't enough whether solely tackling this problem or shared between others. You ignore all his stats and figures. 

You ignore UC wait times, how many meals the money gets, in fact you ignore many criticisms that are made and start a completely separate debate on whether the money should be ringfemced or not.

You are getting schooled by an expert in the area and blindly ignoring it. 

@chaddyrovers is blue blood on your ignore list? I find he often makes quite reasonable and respectful points in response to your posts that always go unanswered. 

Just now, gumboots said:

The issues of better job  prospects, housing, better educated parents, fewer zero hours contracts or none at all unless it suits the people who want them are all long term solutions to child poverty. Were talking about feeding a relatively small number of children for 4 or 5 weeks. That's October half term, Christmas hols and Feb half term. The coldest and most  miserble months of the year. Not feeding them caviar, just one guaranteed meal a day. Surely that's not too much to ask

But the problem needs a long term solution not just another sticking plaster again. Thats why we have to fixed the long term problem. 

Thats why money has been provided to local councils to provide money for these meals if they decide to do. 

I would rather the councils provide the food to these parents can make a proper meal then give them vouchers for stores aswell. 

8 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I’m not advocating it. Just highlighting the problem with a shrinking number of people that contribute vs an expanding number of hands out. 

It's grotesque that the ultra-privileged and their snobbery against people who are struggling still exist in the 21st century.

And the fact that Tories will deliberately take food out of the mouths of starving hungry kids, in the midst of a global pandemic, just goes to show that for all the social gains that have been made since Dickensian times, there are always those who would gladly turn the clock back.

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

No. 

Look if it makes you all better to think someone is Hitler or scum for thinking the lions share of the blame for not feeding your own children lies primarily with the parents regardless of economic hardships then fine. I take the alternative view of personal responsibility

Great stuff as always on here. 👏

So what should be done now that we have reached what you described as a 'tipping point' 'where it's unsuitable'?

Edited by Ewood Ace

3 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

@chaddyrovers is blue blood on your ignore list? I find he often makes quite reasonable and respectful points in response to your posts that always go unanswered. 

Thank you!! I think this may be a yes...

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty of jobs our there at the minutes including full time permanent jobs. Over 1500 permanent jobs within 15 miles of my house after a just search on indeed. whilst there is over 15,000 jobs that temporary with some being permanent if you perform in your role and prove to be assist to the company. With Christmas coming up plenty of companies will need employees to work overtime now. Good chance to earn extra money. 

More and more houses are being built for people to get on the property ladder 

people will be eligible in they are on low incomes.  

That’s really not actually true . 83 percent of people who apply for uc do not get it 

matt83's poster girl, probably hanging on his bedroom wall

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says "Here's the Tory MP for North Devon Selaine Saxby spitting vitriol at local businesses for volunteering to provide free food for vulnerable children after her party voted to starve them during pandemic. a Selaine Saxby North Devon News 7m. am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support. CONSERVATIVES WE'RE THE THE NASTY PARTY"

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty of jobs our there at the minutes including full time permanent jobs. Over 1500 permanent jobs within 15 miles of my house after a just search on indeed. whilst there is over 15,000 jobs that temporary with some being permanent if you perform in your role and prove to be assist to the company. With Christmas coming up plenty of companies will need employees to work overtime now. Good chance to earn extra money. 

How many of these 'jobs' are zero hours contracts? Unemployment is at 4.5% and that is going to rise significantly again when furlough ends. The government have wrecked the economy. As for house building its not the number being build that's the problem its the affordability that is the big problem. 

As for Universal Credit I will say it again as it clearly has lodged in your brain yet. Even if you are eligible for it you still have to wait 5 weeks before you receive any. Surely even you can see a problem there?

Just now, Mike E said:

Already addressed all these points.

'Unringfenced funding' which amounts to much less than is needed to solve the problem (after already slashing their budgets) isn't ACTUALLY giving councils funding. It is throwing tuppence at the street beggar when the better approach would be to give him a sandwich and offer him advice on where he can go to get out of the cold. This government is good at throwing pennies and you keep lapping it up as generosity.

Financial help: Yes, I agree they did well for the first 6 months, however during that time they failed to address the actual problem. Now we're back to square one, and parents can only get 66% instead of 80%, and in a botched tiering system that still forces people to stay away from loved ones. YES they are forcing people to suffer.

Universal Credit: Takes an average of 5 weeks to process. Would you manage for 5 weeks without ANY income? Don't bother answering that one, you probably think everyone can just walk into another job.

The paragraph about bringing children into the world: I agree with you IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. These are NOT normal circumstances, so need quicker and temporary solutions.

Your parents: With due respect, bully for you. You don't realise how lucky you are that your parents were able to give you that time. Many parents aren't able to, regardless of what you think they 'should' do.

plenty of jobs out there Mike, over sixteen thousands available in different sectors I have posted out there The job I am in isn't the job I wanted for myself 20 years ago but I made the decisions I have made and I live and die by them. I have got on property ladder finally 3 years ago. A job is a job at the current minute., Mike, you can dig all you want about me being able to find a job very quickly in my circumstances or maybe that cos my CV and Job record is impressive that I was able to get a job with big distribution company and good connection with the depot manager in my interviews where he totally understood my situation and what my needs were for the job. The job is going very well and good group of lads I working well. 

my parents bully for me? Yes Mike, My parents were always there for me through my first 6 years of my life through hospital operations with my ears, speech therapy sessions, etc. Then my parents taking me some great family holidays where in Magaluf or Barcelona, or to my dad taking to me first Rovers game or getting interested in Football. They have always been there for me and always will be there. Just like I am for my step daughter on a daily basis regardless of my working hours. 

23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where to start. 1500 jobs gained but how many lost? Given its a recession I would imagine the latter outweighs the former?.

Well there's a ton of problems with this. First and foremost mortgages are much, much more difficult to get with zero hours and temporary jobs. In fact for some mortgages (can't speak for all) they don't count towards earning and mortgage calculations whatsoever. The rise in temporary/zero hour contracts makes it much harder to get a mortgage. 

Then there's the deposit issue. All of the above, coupled with student loans debt, really don't make it any easier to get a deposit for a house. I remember reading am article before the pandemic on how the majority of first time buyers needed parental help to put down a deposit. Can't remember the exact percentage but it shocked me. Then on top of all of this you have the pandemic.  with the reduced wages, furlough, layoffs etc. this makes it even harder to get a deposit together. 

Then there's the houses being built. My parents live in rural lancashire. I live in Leeds. Plenty of building work in both places and I'll say this. The overwhelming majority of these houses are not first time buyer houses. Not at those prices. 

So I'm not sure I believe this easy /more people to get on the property ladder stuff. 

It's not an eligibility issue as many have pointed out but a cash flow issue. You ignore this repeatedly but it doesn't change the point. 

But let's say for a moment I am wrong in my assessment. IF that's the case how do you explain the increase in foodbank usage, even by those with jobs? If everything is as positive as you imply, why are there such huge problems?

11 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

matt83's poster girl, probably hanging on his bedroom wall

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says "Here's the Tory MP for North Devon Selaine Saxby spitting vitriol at local businesses for volunteering to provide free food for vulnerable children after her party voted to starve them during pandemic. a Selaine Saxby North Devon News 7m. am delighted our local businesses have bounced back so much after lockdown they are able to give away food for free, and very much hope they will not be seeking any further government support. CONSERVATIVES WE'RE THE THE NASTY PARTY"

Makes you proud to be British. 

I do wonder at what point people begin to turn on them. 

7 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

I do wonder at what point people begin to turn on them. 

When a credible alternative comes along.

Sadly Len mccluskey is trying his best to  make sure it won’t be the Labour Party.

Edited by Gav

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

How many of these 'jobs' are zero hours contracts? Unemployment is at 4.5% and that is going to rise significantly again when furlough ends. The government have wrecked the economy. As for house building its not the number being build that's the problem its the affordability that is the big problem. 

As for Universal Credit I will say it again as it clearly has lodged in your brain yet. Even if you are eligible for it you still have to wait 5 weeks before you receive any. Surely even you can see a problem there?

From my experience of looking for a job during a 3 to 4 weeks period I found no zero hours contracts in the sectors I was looking in. 

I know it is 5 weeks wait but you can a grant from UC for essential items and school clothing which is available from my experience 

22 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hyndburn has recieved £2.43 billion pounds for the area to tackle Covid-19.

For goodness sake man get yourself back on planet earth. £2.34 BILLION for Hyndburn. 🤣

34 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

correct

For goodness sake man get yourself back on planet earth. £2.34 BILLION for Hyndburn. 🤣

sorry Millions. Mistypo 

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

But the problem needs a long term solution not just another sticking plaster again. Thats why we have to fixed the long term problem. 

Thats why money has been provided to local councils to provide money for these meals if they decide to do. 

I would rather the councils provide the food to these parents can make a proper meal then give them vouchers for stores aswell. 

Specific funding needs to be given for specific short term needs. Many of those who can't feed their kids now will get new jobs, make different arrangements, not need free meals later, but they do NEED it NOW. My parents would not have allowed my kids to go hungry or without other essentials, but not everyone is that lucky. Some people no longer have parents. Some are estranged from parents for a vast number of reasons. Some have parents who themselves are on low incomes with most of their income tied up in their own mortgages, debts etc. Its wrong to suggest that needing help is feckless. Current events as well as long term neglect of the essential services that would at one time have propped up the needy mean we need to do something urgently now

@chaddyrovers

you didn’t answer my question which is ...... why is child poverty rising? 

or put another way, the fact child poverty is rising, particularly in the north of England says your idea that councils have the money needed to look after kids is wrong.

Edited by den

I know from personal contact that the foodbank in Accrington could not cope with the demands on it. It would have been unable to meet need if we in Clitheroe had not sent tons of food. 

12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Copy and paste them and take them as your own to get an answer . 
it seems so immature to put people on ignore and not engage 

24 minutes ago, Gav said:

When a credible alternative comes along.

Sadly Len mccluskey is trying his best to  make sure it won’t be the Labour Party.

I get the impression Gav that the silent majority are angry about this and irrespective of political persuasion they know that it's an inhumane decision. I have a feeling that the wave of public anger will see the Tories perform another u-turn in an attempt to save some face but the majority I believe won't forget this particularly the nastiness shown by some of the selfish, entitled cretins on social media.