23 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Thing is it wouldn't have appeared if it wasn't for covid i think they've treated this like funding a war. There's always money tucked away for that, well here it is.

War on Want would do me.  The government clearly had the capacity to raise the living standards of so many of its people but made no such decision. No need for Austerity.

But Coronavirus comes along and suddenly there is a magic money tree although its existence has been denied by them for years.

Johnson might want the Patel mess hushed up but typically bullies leave a long trail of victims who gain courage to speak out at different times.

There is going to be attrition rather than a neat underline and move on. Patel will go in disgrace again before the end of this Government's term.

Edited by philipl

10 hours ago, 47er said:

War on Want would do me.  The government clearly had the capacity to raise the living standards of so many of its people but made no such decision. No need for Austerity.

But Coronavirus comes along and suddenly there is a magic money tree although its existence has been denied by them for years.

All of a sudden there's a magic money forest never mind a tree. Austerity was a con and the same suckers fell for it.

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Johnson might want the Patel mess hushed up but typically bullies leave a long trail of victims who gain courage to speak out at different times.

There is going to be attrition rather than a neat underline and move on. Patel will go in disgrace again before the end of this Government's term.

The more you read about the Patel case the worse it gets. She was warned about her behaviour inspite of her protestations about a " lack of feedback ". the official who gave her the warnings has been prevented from giving evidence to the inquiry, and the report was on Johnson's desk last April and he's done nothing about it !

When the PM pressures for a report to be toned down, key witnesses aren't interviewed and you are still found breaching the code you have to be very guilty indeed. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The more you read about the Patel case the worse it gets. She was warned about her behaviour inspite of her protestations about a " lack of feedback ". the official who gave her the warnings has been prevented from giving evidence to the inquiry, and the report was on Johnson's desk last April and he's done nothing about it !

The interview on BBC was a joke it looked like she was doing her best not to laugh not one once of remorse in her.

In amongst all the other scandals that this incompetent shower are failing to deal with the Grenfell scandal has been kept under the radar. Last week a former employee of the company that provided the cladding, Celotex, admitted under oath that the inflamability tests on the panels had been deliberately rigged so they passed the test ! Somebody in that organisation will be responsible for that culture of deceit and corruption.

One or two more could do with the offer of a blindfold and a last cigarette.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 minute ago, jodrell said:

The interview on BBC was a joke it looked like she was doing her best not to laugh not one once of remorse in her.

What's more shaming is the way the rest of her shabby gang have rallied round to defend her. I caught an interview on the radio by the head of the Tory party in her constituency yesterday. I thought he was putting her up for a sainthood, not a hint of contrition or acceptance of wrongdoing - it was all the fault of the civil servants !

23 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What's more shaming is the way the rest of her shabby gang have rallied round to defend her. I caught an interview on the radio by the head of the Tory party in her constituency yesterday. I thought he was putting her up for a sainthood, not a hint of contrition or acceptance of wrongdoing - it was all the fault of the civil servants !

Blame deflection. They get together and decide on a line to pass the buck on who to blame. Never them of course. The civil service unions should be calling them out 

One of Patel's jobs- doing PR for British American Tobacco defending them for employing slave labour in Burma.

She is utter unadulterated filthy scum of the earth.

Somewhat hidden in all the corruption and bullying news there seem to be reliable reports that the Government is preparing to renege on its manifesto commitment to five 0.7% of GDP in foreign aid by reducing it to 0.5% or about £4bn per annum.

Even ignoring the spectacular moral case that it’s just the fight thing to do, this doesn’t make any sense from the practical view of promoting the UK’s vested interests. It’s so much easier and more cost effective to make friends internationally by giving aid rather than blowing the money on a few bits of war kit. I’m sure it’s no coincidence that the £4bn a year is the same as the money the generals have been promised so that we can make ourselves more unpopular somewhere in the world.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

One of Patel's jobs- doing PR for British American Tobacco defending them for employing slave labour in Burma.

She is utter unadulterated filthy scum of the earth.

This is the kind of attack the Tories will employ against Starmer when the dust settles, due to his previous job with CPS.

I agree with Patel on nothing, but everyone has a job to do and a life before politics. 

5 hours ago, only2garners said:

Somewhat hidden in all the corruption and bullying news there seem to be reliable reports that the Government is preparing to renege on its manifesto commitment to five 0.7% of GDP in foreign aid by reducing it to 0.5% or about £4bn per annum.

Even ignoring the spectacular moral case that it’s just the fight thing to do, this doesn’t make any sense from the practical view of promoting the UK’s vested interests. It’s so much easier and more cost effective to make friends internationally by giving aid rather than blowing the money on a few bits of war kit. I’m sure it’s no coincidence that the £4bn a year is the same as the money the generals have been promised so that we can make ourselves more unpopular somewhere in the world.

Moreover. where there's a gap there's usually someone willing to fill it. That someone is usually China who is busy buying UN votes all over the world.

Particularly Africa where UK used to have influence. Dumb short-term politics is all we ever get.

I was just reading an article in my paper regarding the future coming of electric cars. London and the South East are doing OK.  Those two regions have 45% of new charger capacity well in excess of their 27% share of the population. Levelling up is going really well apparently.

When I was a young apprentice I remember an old engineer telling me - " Take no notice of what they say Tyrone, just look at what they actually do ".

14 hours ago, 47er said:

Moreover. where there's a gap there's usually someone willing to fill it. That someone is usually China who is busy buying UN votes all over the world.

Particularly Africa where UK used to have influence. Dumb short-term politics is all we ever get.

What most people don't realise is there are strings attached to overseas aid. There are rules about where it can be spent, usually in the UK.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was just reading an article in my paper regarding the future coming of electric cars. London and the South East are doing OK.  Those two regions have 45% of new charger capacity well in excess of their 27% share of the population. Levelling up is going really well apparently.

When I was a young apprentice I remember an old engineer telling me - " Take no notice of what they say Tyrone, just look at what they actually do ".

I can't say I've seen many / any charging points around cumbria. There'll have to be some serious investment in northern infrastructure between now and 2030. 

18 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

What most people don't realise is there are strings attached to overseas aid. There are rules about where it can be spent, usually in the UK.

That's not my experience Tyrone. Whilst there might be some controls like that on some of the spend it was never a factor in the projects that i have some small experience of.

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was just reading an article in my paper regarding the future coming of electric cars. London and the South East are doing OK.  Those two regions have 45% of new charger capacity well in excess of their 27% share of the population.

Well I've got one under our car port if you get cut short!

There are quite a few appearing around Preston now. Booths has some at many of their stores and there are some in Winckley Square and in some of the car parks.

In truth with a home charger you rarely need any other facilities - only when you want to drive out of range. The main issue is in providing convenient charging points for those who can't fit one at home. It sounds like charging through lampposts will be the way forward, but how near that is I don't know. Or we get a great leap forward in charging speeds, which I expect will come in time.

Speaking from experience car charging ports are always value engineered out of new developments.

A provisional sum is always allowed but never spent.

Unscrupulous developers do not care about the future implications for the general public. If I was in charge of a government roll out scheme the first thing I would do is go after developments less than 2 years old and demand they put car charging ports in. If they didn't I'd see to it they would struggle with planning going forward. I'd also make it mandatory to do so from the moment I announced we'd be banning diesel cars in 2030.

As it stands we are running head first into a genuinely good idea with little thought to the infrastructure required to undertake such a task

Edited by Dreams of 1995

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

Speaking from experience car charging ports are always value engineered out of new developments.

Unscrupulous developers do not care about the future implications for the general public. If I was in charge of a government roll out scheme the first thing I would do is go after developments less than 2 years old and demand they put car charging ports in. If they didn't I'd see to it they would struggle with planning going forward. I'd also make it mandatory to do so from the moment I announced we'd be banning diesel cars in 2030.

As it stands we are running head first into a genuinely good idea with little thought to the infrastructure required to undertake such a task

You'll not be surprised to hear that I'm 100% with you on this Dreams.....

30 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Agree with you on this as well. 

The development I've moved into, nice little house but the profits on them are huge. My mate worked out that for every two houses they build, they build a third for free. By the looks of it, there are absolutely no green initiatives attached to the development which is such a wasted opportunity there's enough profit in each house to get charging ports put in and solar panels on each house. What's actually happened is theyve put some insulation in and put a couple of trees up for show.