Conversely I find for a great many of my journeys that the train is easier, cheaper and quicker than the car. To go to London it's simply no contest - takes half the time of a car with no stress and very reasonable fares as long as you don't have to get rush hour trains. Manchester from Preston is usually easier on the train too.

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Conversely I find for a great many of my journeys that the train is easier, cheaper and quicker than the car. To go to London it's simply no contest - takes half the time of a car with no stress and very reasonable fares as long as you don't have to get rush hour trains. Manchester from Preston is usually easier on the train too.

I think thats the issue, if you have to travel by train for work during the rush hour you're going to suffer.

Casual train travel is usually good in my experience, I've been all over the country following Rovers and only been let down on a few occasions, but you get into the daily commute and its a different story.

Imagine having to pay £2-5k for a season ticket and being late for work at least once a week or in some cashes not turning up at all due to trains breaking down or staff shortages, its a disgrace and one that should have been sorted out long before people voted for the Tories.

19 minutes ago, only2garners said:

That's true about trains to London are very good. My parents go there once every 2 months. 

Depends where you are travelling to. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's true about trains to London are very good. My parents go there once every 2 months. 

Depends where you are travelling to. 

They are pathetic compared with trains in France or Italy and primeval compared with trains in Japan or China.

12 minutes ago, Gav said:

I think thats the issue, if you have to travel by train for work during the rush hour you're going to suffer.

Casual train travel is usually good in my experience, I've been all over the country following Rovers and only been let down on a few occasions, but you get into the daily commute and its a different story.

Imagine having to pay £2-5k for a season ticket and being late for work at least once a week or in some cashes not turning up at all due to trains breaking down or staff shortages, its a disgrace and one that should have been sorted out long before people voted for the Tories.

Different story in Scotland (in my opinion and experience anyway), I use ScotRail every day and while you can't avoid the occasional problem most of the trains are clean and on time, including the rush hour. I bet there aren't many that commute by car between Glasgow and Edinburgh! The biggest problem I encounter is the regular lack of toilet facilities, usually because someone has shoved something down the loo that wasn't designed to be flushed down a chemical toilet!

And yet Abellio have just lost the gig, which surprised me somewhat I have to say. Compared to Northern Rail they are premier league.

You're right Gav. I never had to regularly commute on the train - I had to suffer commuting on the M6 for years instead. I enjoyed my day trip to Birmingham on Saturday (well all bar 90 minutes of it) - decent fares, comfortable trains, no slogging up and down the M6, a good walk to and from the ground and some nice food in the city centre before coming home.

I think it's easy to blame the train operating companies but it's been a very clever move by politicians to let them carry all the blame for bad service. It's mostly the Conservatives fault but Labour need to share a bit of the blame for where we are now.

For example it looks to the casual observer that Virgin offered great service and Northern and TPE awful service. But Virgin benefited from access to new fast trains on the newly upgraded West Coast Mainline - no doubt Avanti will be able to offer the same decent service, given they are using the same staff, same trains and same infrastructure.

Northern and TPE have had to run services on an infrastructure that is not fit for purpose on slow branch lines with rolling stock way past it's sell-by date. Even Northern's industrial relations problems which currently mean Sunday services are a complete lottery were inherited. You can argue that Northern should have sorted out staff contracts which exclude Sunday as a working day and therefore rely on voluntary overtime but I suspect there has been some political pressure over that and the guard issue.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, philipl said:

They are pathetic compared with trains in France or Italy and primeval compared with trains in Japan or China.

My Parents enjoyed the trains in France. 

I don't know Philipl as I said I don't use them as I prefer to use my car. I find my journeys are quicker and cheaper that way. 

Never been to China or Japan Philipl. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

My Parents enjoyed the trains in France. 

I don't know Philipl as I said I don't use them as I prefer to use my car. I find my journeys are quicker and cheaper that way. 

Never been to China or Japan Philipl. 

I seem to remember you saying that you live in Accrington. If so I understand why you don't use trains. The town has terrible rail service. I posted previously that the family I have in Manchester use trains more than their cars.

Another plus for rail service is that main stations are smack bang in the middle of cities so once you arrive you are in the thick of it. Driving means motorway, exits, busy roads into town, and then parking. 

I have no idea about the feasibility of it all but rail lines should be expanding making out of the way places the chance to be easily connected to the main lines. 

9 hours ago, philipl said:

primeval compared with trains in Japan or China.

I'd rather have "primeval" trains than primeval human rights .  Primeval, from the earliest time in history

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd rather have "primeval" trains than primeval human rights .  Primeval, from the earliest time in history

With Johnson primeval human rights are coming.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

With Johnson primeval human rights are coming.

No they aren't. 

1 hour ago, Doug said:

No they aren't. 

I know it is pantomime season but your passport is dropping to about 69th in the World power list, yoiur freedom of movement is being severely curtailed, your access to justice is being rapidly reduced, your consumer rights significantly lessened and forget about protections if you are employed...

With Willie Walsh stepping down, the Chairman and CEO of IAG are now both Spanish and the CEO of the British Airways subsidiary is also Spanish.

When the Spanish-owned Heathrow Airport bulldozes BA's HQ for the third runway, you can be sure its replacement will be in Madrid...

Brexit is a wonderful thing.

I caught up with PMQ's last night and whilst you'd expect Corbyn to challenge Johnson on Iran/Trump, the nonsense about the legality of killing Soleimani was tiresome. Whoever wrote that line of questioning for the Labour leader should wake up and smell the coffee. One of the major reasons for Labour bombing so badly in the general election was because Corbyn comes across as anti-patriotic and his first PMQ's of 2020 just firms up that view, amateurish. 

Just now, Gav said:

I caught up with PMQ's last night and whilst you'd expect Corbyn to challenge Johnson on Iran/Trump, the nonsense about the legality of killing Soleimani was tiresome. Whoever wrote that line of questioning for the Labour leader should wake up and smell the coffee. One of the major reasons for Labour bombing so badly in the general election was because Corbyn comes across as anti-patriotic and his first PMQ's of 2020 just firms up that view, amateurish. 

Why on earth is he still there?  It smells like the  next leader might just be Corbyn junior

1 hour ago, philipl said:

With Willie Walsh stepping down, the Chairman and CEO of IAG are now both Spanish and the CEO of the British Airways subsidiary is also Spanish.

When the Spanish-owned Heathrow Airport bulldozes BA's HQ for the third runway, you can be sure its replacement will be in Madrid...

Brexit is a wonderful thing.

Railways, airlines, manufacturing industry, service companies, you name it ....... British assets flogged off to the highest bidder - usually foreign.

Thatcherism writ large.

NHS won't be long. 

10 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Railways, airlines, manufacturing industry, service companies, you name it ....... British assets flogged off to the highest bidder - usually foreign.

Thatcherism writ large.

NHS won't be long. 

Talking about the Tories and the NHS, A&E have just recorded their worst performance in December - ever.

why does the ordinary bloke in the street vote for them?

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why on earth is he still there?  It smells like the  next leader might just be Corbyn junior

He's still there because of the Labour party process, but he should have gone the morning after the election, no doubt about that.....

As for the next leader, the only one that 'looks' Prime Ministerial is Kier Starmer and he's just presided over one of the worst election strategies, on Brexit, that I can ever remember, I think it was even less popular than the dementia tax!

To be honest I don't see a PM in the current crop, not that they're not capable, they're nowhere near polished enough and sadly that counts in todays politics. Out of the bunch both Lisa Nandy and Jess Philips are proper working class stock, live amongst the people they represent and whilst probably wouldn't become PM, they'd both hammer Johnson at PMQ's week in week out, so i'd go for one of those 2. 

Edited by Gav

6 hours ago, philipl said:

I know it is pantomime season but your passport is dropping to about 69th in the World power list, yoiur freedom of movement is being severely curtailed, your access to justice is being rapidly reduced, your consumer rights significantly lessened and forget about protections if you are employed...

Well don't worry yourself about it, I'm sure that Malta is always wonderful.

I'm sure all the bartenders and pedalo operators over there are happy with their lot!

We British are made of good stuff, we don't tend to moan over a bit of adversity (well, maybe the left wingers do).

Don't you worry yourself about us lot who are keeping the lights on over here! ☺️

What does my passport supposedly dropping to 69th in the world power list mean to me? If I booked a holiday to any holiday worthy destination this year will my passport be suffice enough for me to travel across borders? Yes, providing I follow the visa protocol of the country in which I am entering. Absolutely no concerns about that so, in truth, my passport has lost 0 power and my freedom of movement isn't curtailed whatsoever.

If I wanted to move to, say Germany, next year I'd simply have to follow the same protocol all other non-EU member states have to do to get there. Absolutely no problem with that - definitely no impact to my "freedom of movement".

Q. If freedom of movement makes no difference to anyone, why were brexiteers so desperate to ban it?

A. It does make a difference.

7 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Thatcherism writ large.

NHS won't be long. 

Surely not? The Counts voted to take their Cuntry back.

8 minutes ago, den said:

Q. If freedom of movement makes no difference to anyone, why were brexiteers so desperate to ban it?

A. It does make a difference.

Again, trying to tell people why they voted. You labour will never learn.