1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

He isn't defending Iran. 

And explain how the various wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya have helped to stablise the Middle East in recent decades. 

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Jeremy Corbny in addressing the crowd in Trafalgar Square today,"No matter what Iran has done who they have killed who who they attack in the future, no one should attack them. War is not the Answer." 

What a clown this guy is. Thank God he will never be PM of our great nation. 

Always defending Iran and wouldnt even called their general a terrorist. Why Jeremy? 

Are you fancying a free trip out to the Middle East Chaddy ? They're " Needing them, not feeding them " in Armed Forces at the moment. I'll be right behind you.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

War is definitely not the answer. It hasn't helped the Middle East situation when we have involved ourselves in middle eastern politics in an aggressive manner, not in my lifetime certainly and probably not before that. Ordinary Iranians are currently angry with their own government over the plane shooting down. They know that any reprisals in the form of attacks or sanctions will make their lives even more miserable. Most people do not want war unless it is totally and absolutely the only course of action because we all know now that its ordinary citizens and especially children who suffer most. Soldiers and other armed forces may do the fighting but most of the damage is to the lives of ordinary people

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

He isn't defending Iran. 

And explain how the various wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya have helped to stablise the Middle East in recent decades. 

so wont he called the Iranian General a terrorist then? 

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Are you fancying a free trip out to the Middle East Chaddy ? They're " Needing them, not feeding them " in Armed Forces at the moment. I'll be right behind you.

why would I want to go there? its a part of the world Ive never want to go to. Supposedly Dubai is fantastic but I will never go. 

19 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Strawman - They don't have freedom of movement now - The discussion is about ending FoM for EU citizens and replacing it with a points based system - We are about to lose all access to the pool of European labour for the unskilled jobs that idle Brits won't do - It'll be nice to see all the unempoyed Brexiteers lining up to pick veg once their jobs disappear.

Yawns. The big LIE again - used by libtards and slave driving businesses alike. That's already as boring as Tony Mowbray. 'They do the jobs we won't do blah blah!' That's just BS trotted out by people that benefit from keeping wages low at the expense of the British people.

The truth is. Only people that are desperate including morons with a low or even no education (mainly people from the 3rd world witch doctor and sky fairy lands) will accept working in more slave like conditions. That's why mass immigration is as much a Tory policy as anything else. As it's the rich (usually Tory supporting) companies that benefit. If there wasn't a pool of pond life to chose from then these companies would have to pay a decent and fairer wage and have to take a cut in their massive profits.

Also, we keep hearing about the social care crisis that's coming (and already here). So boat and truck-loads of African and Middle Eastern men are accepted into the UK largely under the same lie as 'we need them'. Yet NONE of these men are wiping bums as you say. So just who is going to help sort out this crisis when as predicted things like Dementia sky rocket in the coming years?

Edited by Husky

The need is often for seasonal labour. I did a months potato picking and wheat roguing on a farm next to Arsenals training ground many years ago. Hours were long and work backbreaking at times. Students nowadays probably wouldn't want the work. Often Eastern Europeans are keen to come to do it. They are not tied into long term immigration or work. They simply come, do the job, take the wages and go back home to their normal lives. That's one of the things that hasn't happened as much recently,  since talk of Brexit began, and our farmers have suffered.

Nobody thinks large numbers of middle eastern or african males, unskilled and with nothing to contribute to the economy or society should be coming in. They dont, under EU rules, have freedom of movement. They are, with some exceptions in the case of genuine asylum seekers, not legal immigrants. Doesn't mean we can keep them out. Determined people will find a way. And throwing away our EU membership like a used tissue means we will get more and more, as the EU lets them through to Britain rather than try to stop them as it does atm.

Nor is the shortage of workers in care homes, hotel cleaning, etc purely down to low pay. The shortage might partly be addressed by raising wages, as more British residents might take on those jobs but genuinely, do you know anyone, however unskilled they are, who actually wants to work in a care home or muddy fields picking cabbages or whatever, even at 3 times current pay rates. It was certainly not on the ambitions list of many pupils I taught.  

The fact is that freedom of movement has brought advantages to all kinds of people from all over Europe. I know loads of people who've gone to live and work all over Europe from all sorts of backgrounds for all sorts of reasons. Some have settled. Some have stayed just a year or 2. All have been enriched by it even if they decide ultimately that they're better off in their own country. I still struggle to believe that Brexit is actually going to happen. I know it is. I accept that the majority endorsed it by voting for the stupid 'Get Brexit done' slogan, but I still cant quite believe it happened. Nobody has yet shown me the answer to that one question 'Apart from getting your blue passport back, (and I'm not due one of those for years) name one real, concrete, positive benefit of leaving the EU' One that will make personally better off, healthier, or happier. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why would I want to go there? its a part of the world Ive never want to go to. Supposedly Dubai is fantastic but I will never go. 

Whilst wild horses couldn't drag me to visit Dubai, Iran is on the list of countries I would really like to visit but it looks like that's off the agenda for a while now.

6 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Whilst wild horses couldn't drag me to visit Dubai, Iran is on the list of countries I would really like to visit but it looks like that's off the agenda for a while now.

I know someone who works in Dubai in nursing and I am told they enjoyed over there. 

Watching programmes on Dubai airport there is alot of foreign people working there. 

13 minutes ago, gumboots said:

who actually wants to work in a care home

Plenty of single parent mums work in care homes as it allowed them to work whilst the child is at school. it might not what they want to do as 15 years old but how many people actually get they wanted to be as career now. in my family and friends list not very many. 

I have alot of family and friends who work in this sector of care workers. It a decent job with some rewards but some drawbacks. 

My Cousin wanted to work with mental health but in a care home environment but she worked her way up but gave it all up for her partner career

15 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I still struggle to believe that Brexit is actually going to happen. I know it is. I accept that the majority endorsed it by voting for the stupid 'Get Brexit done' slogan, but I still cant quite believe it happened. Nobody has yet shown me the answer to that one question 'Apart from getting your blue passport back, (and I'm not due one of those for years) name one real, concrete, positive benefit of leaving the EU' One that will make personally better off, healthier, or happier. 

Introduction of a Australia style immigration points based system which I have been in favour for many years before the Brexit debate. control of our fishing waters. 

Tbh, didn't know about the blue passport thing either. 

I know there are lots of people who work in Dubai and many more who visit often but it just looks to me like an artificial place full of bling resorts with a horrible climate. And the added danger of meeting footballers on holiday there.

Iran, on the other hand, looks to be a fascinating country with an ancient culture, wonderful architecture, warm friendly people and fabulous food. 

An Australian style points based immigration system will almost certainly increase numbers of immigrants, which I don’t think is what the majority of leavers are expecting.

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Iran, on the other hand, looks to be a fascinating country with an ancient culture, wonderful architecture, warm friendly people and fabulous food. 

That's why I like going Spain so much. Would love to go Japan or China for the same reasons as you would to go Iran. Can I ask have you been to either place or anyone else? 

8 minutes ago, only2garners said:

An Australian style points based immigration system will almost certainly increase numbers of immigrants, which I don’t think is what the majority of leavers are expecting.

if it a skill we don't need and already people who have that skill or can do that do job then surely it would go down? 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why I like going Spain so much. Would love to go Japan or China for the same reasons as you would to go Iran. Can I ask have you been to either place or anyone else? 

This is perhaps not the place to list the countries that I've been to but I've been to China (in 1982, when it was a completely different place to now), but not as yet Japan (another on the list). I hope we will be going on the Trans Siberian Express later in the year - it's my wife's life time ambition. Then I'd like to see more of Central Asia, which would until the last couple of weeks have included Iran.

We have a time share on Mallorca so go there most years.

My daughter went to Syria to Krak des Chevaliers about 20 years ago while she was in year 11 at school. She said then that the Syrians were some of the nicest friendliest people she'd ever met. Nobody in their right mind would think of travelling there as a tourist now. 

I, like you, o2g, would never go to Dubai. I spent several hours in the airport there en route to Korea and back. It was dirty. There was no free wifi. That was enough. And dont get me started on the manufactured resort. I like quiet backwaters where life looks like it hasn't changed in centuries. I like churches and museums that are almost collapsing under the weight of their history even though many have been restored and refurbed countless times. I like it when you find a genuine local festival where most of the people there are locals not tourists. That's why we spend a lot of time in France. You can get off the beaten track there without going into the middle of nowhere. We go to Brittany but love the Dordogne. 

Edited by gumboots

The hilarious thing about these discussions about migration is that everyone thinks the UK can decide post-Brexit.

It can't as the Australians telling the UK to get stuffed over visas illustrates.

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've been China, stayed in Beijing for 1 week. It's a really interesting place to visit with fantastic history but i found the Chinese people extremely rude.

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Plenty of single parent mums work in care homes as it allowed them to work whilst the child is at school. it might not what they want to do as 15 years old but how many people actually get they wanted to be as career now. in my family and friends list not very many. 

I have alot of family and friends who work in this sector of care workers. It a decent job with some rewards but some drawbacks. 

My Cousin wanted to work with mental health but in a care home environment but she worked her way up but gave it all up for her partner career

Introduction of a Australia style immigration points based system which I have been in favour for many years before the Brexit debate. control of our fishing waters. 

Tbh, didn't know about the blue passport thing either. 

" Control of our fishing waters " isn't going to happen matey. The UK fisherman want to kick out the foreigners on the one hand and then sell their catches to the same foreigners on the other. How do you think that's going to pan out ?

6 hours ago, andyroversmad said:

I've been China, stayed in Beijing for 1 week. It's a really interesting place to visit with fantastic history but i found the Chinese people extremely rude.

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" Control of our fishing waters " isn't going to happen matey. The UK fisherman want to kick out the foreigners on the one hand and then sell their catches to the same foreigners on the other. How do you think that's going to pan out ?

Don't hold your breath for a reply.

Fishing accounts for just 0.12 per cent of UK GDP, but yeah let's take back control of it

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

we will see when we agree a trade deal

It's all gone full circle again.

It seems we're back to the Bush and poodle Blair days.

Edited by Husky

No surprise that Boris has told Nicola Sturgeon to forget Indy Ref 2, but I doubt this will go away. I voted no in the Scottish Independence referendum in 2014, but that was on the basis of a situation that has changed drastically since then and I'm not so sure my cross would go in the same box this time - and I know there are many others with a similar outlook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51106796

35 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

No surprise that Boris has told Nicola Sturgeon to forget Indy Ref 2, but I doubt this will go away. I voted no in the Scottish Independence referendum in 2014, but that was on the basis of a situation that has changed drastically since then and I'm not so sure my cross would go in the same box this time - and I know there are many others with a similar outlook.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51106796

Even if it means that you will probably have to:

Pay for your prescriptions 

Pay to park at hospitals

Pay Tuition Fees for university students 

Etc......?