Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
K-Hod

Politics

Recommended Posts

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Even if it means that you will probably have to:

Pay for your prescriptions 

Pay to park at hospitals

Pay Tuition Fees for university students 

Etc......?

I already pay more tax than someone who earns the same as me in England. I have no real problem with that, as long as I'm seeing it spent wisely. Which by and large it is up here. As for your list  - you make it sound like free prescriptions etc are paid for by English and Welsh taxpayers. They aren't. They are what the Scottish Parliament decides are its priorities, within the budget it has. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I already pay more tax than someone who earns the same as me in England. I have no real problem with that, as long as I'm seeing it spent wisely. Which by and large it is up here. As for your list  - you make it sound like free prescriptions etc are paid for by English and Welsh taxpayers. They aren't. They are what the Scottish Parliament decides are its priorities, within the budget it has. 

 

I never said that.  I just think that these types of things will no longer be affordable and will be the first thing to go.  So, you might end up paying more tax and also paying for these things too.....I'm not bothered one way or the other

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I never said that.  I just think that these types of things will no longer be affordable and will be the first thing to go.  So, you might end up paying more tax and also paying for these things too.....I'm not bothered one way or the other

Well, firstly that's based on nothing more than assumption. If this ended up being the case I would attempt to get rid of the sitting Scottish Government and elect a different one. That's the way these things work isn't it, an independent Scotland would not be any different in that respect and in my experience they are closer to the people than the Westminster version.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone believe a word this serial liar says?

Before the election and since he said an EU trade deal would be easy.

Now he's hedging his bets and admitting it might not happen.

https://www.ft.com/content/37f78b38-36b3-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

Until he follows up on his plan to die in a ditch rather than agree another Brexit extension, he has no credence at all.

This is government for Sun readers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears as though the Tories are going to change the way hospital performance is measured. The idea seems to be to move the targets to the performance, not perform to achieve the targets, which have already been downgraded from the ones NHS were hitting prior to 2010.

In other words, let’s applaud what the government achieves rather than it be shown for its failings. Typical of this lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see that the government have intervened to help save the FlyBe airline whose services are so important to people living in areas of the country like the South West and Anglesey not served by the large airlines.

Thank you Tories.

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Government bailout of a failing airline that was already effectively bust after getting into difficulties several times in recent years. 

Willie Walsh, IAG CEO, is right in saying it is a misuse of public money. 

Even worse, the government is exempting it from APD and thinking of doing the same for other airlines, thereby reducing air fares and increasing air travel when the government is supposedly committed to reducing emissions in line with climate change targets

Thank you Tories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The service has to be provided due to EU rules, the government has no choice.  It will be able to decide for itself when we leave the transition period in 12 months.  Stop spinning propaganda Jim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tories are now doing what they said they'd never do - performing a stealth nationalisation of railways and now a failing airline. 

So much for the free market, eh?

King Jeremy is no more but his policies live on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Good to see that the government have intervened to help save the FlyBe airline whose services are so important to people living in areas of the country like the South West and Anglesey not served by the large airlines.

Thank you Tories.

Shame they weren’t so sound when it came to Thomas Cook, eh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Shame they weren’t so sound when it came to Thomas Cook, eh?

There was no national interest at stake with the collapse of Thomas Cook, sad though it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

 Government bailout of a failing airline that was already effectively bust after getting into difficulties several times in recent years. 

Willie Walsh, IAG CEO, is right in saying it is a misuse of public money. 

Even worse, the government is exempting it from APD and thinking of doing the same for other airlines, thereby reducing air fares and increasing air travel when the government is supposedly committed to reducing emissions in line with climate change targets

Thank you Tories. 

Walsh is just interested in people in London and other big cities who have access to the big airports served by the large airlines. I think people in places like Cornwall and Anglesey and Belfast matter, even if you don't - and it is essential for their quality of life to have access to air travel around the UK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

If it's EU rules why have IAG this morning complained to Brussels?

https://www.ft.com/content/961f87ca-3766-11ea-a6d3-9a26f8c3cba4

This is flagrant misuse of taxpayers' money. 

And the message the APD bailout sends on climate change is appalling.

I wonder if Flybe are Tory donors?

Yesterday Shadow Transport Secretary Andy MacDonald called in the House of Commons for the government to intervene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Walsh is just interested in people in London and other big cities who have access to the big airports served by the large airlines. I think people in places like Cornwall and Anglesey and Belfast matter, even if you don't - and it is essential for their quality of life to have access to air travel around the UK.

No he isn’t. He is calling into question state aid for a failing airline which breaches EU rules and is a flagrant misuse of government money

flybe is a dead duck and if it needs state aid to operate it should be nationalised

The cancelling of apd is wrong and shows the Tories couldn’t give a flying gig about the environment and climate change 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

There was no national interest at stake with the collapse of Thomas Cook, sad though it was.

Thomas cook was a viable profitable airline and deserved to be rescued more than Flybe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Thomas cook was a viable profitable airline and deserved to be rescued more than Flybe 

As far as I can see, the UK airline in Thomas Cook has gone in to liquidation which would indicate it was not viable; the other airlines in the group still continue in various forms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

No he isn’t. He is calling into question state aid for a failing airline which breaches EU rules and is a flagrant misuse of government money

flybe is a dead duck and if it needs state aid to operate it should be nationalised

The cancelling of apd is wrong and shows the Tories couldn’t give a flying gig about the environment and climate change 

I think the company's APD payments have been deferred rather than cancelled. Labour called for the government to intervene to keep FlyBegoing so which party are you going to support over this ? The Greens ? I wouldn't have put you down as a beard and sandals man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Meanwhile, Baby Trump  won't be backing his own citizens against Big Daddy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-51117457

Thank you Tories. 

Must be the first known case of a politician being criticised for telling the truth. Tragic for the family of course but no fault of the British government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As far as I can see, the UK airline in Thomas Cook has gone in to liquidation which would indicate it was not viable; the other airlines in the group still continue in various forms.

Thomas cook travel agent was in trouble but was rescued by the hays agency but the airline was profitable which shows how little you know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

I think the company's APD payments have been deferred rather than cancelled. Labour called for the government to intervene to keep FlyBegoing so which party are you going to support over this ? The Greens ? I wouldn't have put you down as a beard and sandals man.

You’re missing the point. The Tories are talking about reducing or cancelling apd for all airlines which would only increase air traffic at a time when the planet is overheating and countries have legal climate change targets to meet. The Tories could not give a flying fig though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jim mk2 said:

Thomas cook travel agent was in trouble but was rescued by the hays agency but the airline was profitable which shows how little you know

I'm fully aware of the rescue as there is a branch about half a mile from my home. Without trawling through financial statements I would suggest the UK airline was no good which is why it has gone under.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.