BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Player of the year (so far)

2 years ago this was a really tough award to give. Graham, Dack, Mulgrew and Smallwood (yes really!) we're all contenders, perhaps Bennett too. 

This year other than Downing which player has performed consistently well and is in with a shout or argument for the position. Shows how badly we are doing. 

Player of the year: Downing

Players player of the Year: Downing

Supporters Player of the Year: Downing

Disabled Supporters player of the Year: Downing

Newcomer of the Year: Downing

Fittest player of the year: Downing

Most Intelligent player of the year: Downing

Stonesrick player of the year: ? Not quite made my mind up yet ?

• Like 5

When I first saw this thread the name Lenihan was in my mind. I'm surprised no one has suggested him as either winner or second or third.

So I'll say Bell

Only kidding about Bell.     Downing it is.

• Like 1

For me Dack has been our player of the season for the first half of the year, he can't be brilliant every game but he's been responsible more than anyone else for our good games and generally I think his effort has been good.

Downing has been quite good but I think a little overated as I don't think he's been great.  I think it's more that he's exceeded expectations and those around have not been very good.

Evans and Tosin were both great during our good run but Tosin came back jittery after a few games out just as he was starting to look Premier league class.

If Evans could play like that consistently for the rest of the season he'd probably be in there as I thought he was crucial during the team's purple patch but he's been here years and has only ever managed to play well for a few games at a time.

My first choice would be DG (not for his tally but the cathartic (double meaning of this word made me laugh when I was checking the spelling) effect he has on the game (either starting or when used as a sub). 

Downing is a good choice. 

Edited by barry_

Downing, by a mile.

Nyambe is the only other player with a chance of being in the conversation if he plays regularly for the remainder of the season. If he’d have got any sort of look in for the first quarter of games instead of inexplicably playing second fiddle to Bennett it would be between him and Downing.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Colt Seavers said:

Interestingly, not a single poster has mentioned Travis at all. Not even in anyone's top three which is surprising. 

Because he hasn't been. He gets miles of leeway that others don't with regards playing poorly, but when it comes to naming best performers he can't make the cut. I think the leeway he gets is because he came though the youth team and also because he is a hard worker. His distribution has been poor this season and general positioning can also be questionable. I would definitely stick with him though. There is a player there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Because he hasn't been. He gets miles of leeway that others don't with regards playing poorly, but when it comes to naming best performers he can't make the cut. I think the leeway he gets is because he came though the youth team and also because he is a hard worker. His distribution has been poor this season and general positioning can also be questionable. I would definitely stick with him though. There is a player there. 

Jason Lowe came through the youth team and got (deserved) untold stick. Buckley has been (fairly) lambasted for being nowhere near up to it yet and he came through the youth team. So I dont think players get leeway just for being home grown at all.

I dont think he us the type of player who can dictate the tempo of a game but it is interesting to note that his passing success rate is 84.5% which is the best out of anyone in our squad.

Hes definitely been one of our better players this season. Ahead of Armstrong easily.

I do worry that in trying to make him more positionally responsible Mowbray has taken something out of his game.  I remember TM saying Travis wants to get up and down like a traditional box to box but he wants to hold a lot more, make him more of a defensive midfielder.  I'm paraphrasing and perhaps being unfair to TM but his first few games last season I thought he was great and he has rarely hit those heights since, though overall I think he's been decent and occasionally very good.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Jason Lowe came through the youth team and got (deserved) untold stick. Buckley has been (fairly) lambasted for being nowhere near up to it yet and he came through the youth team. So I dont think players get leeway just for being home grown at all.

I dont think he us the type of player who can dictate the tempo of a game but it is interesting to note that his passing success rate is 84.5% which is the best out of anyone in our squad.

Hes definitely been one of our better players this season. Ahead of Armstrong easily.

Funny no one else mentioned him so, isnt it?

11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Funny no one else mentioned him so, isnt it?

I was just pointing out that historically, being an academy graduate does not protect a player from justified criticism.

I dont think hes been our best player but to be honest its been an average season with our team regularly changing. Lenihan, Travis, Downing and Dack would be the 4 stand outs. Adarabioyo, Evans and Nyambe have also had good spells but have also spent time on the sidelines. Up until very recently Armstrong was justifiably criticised and people wanted him dropped.