BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FFP Trouble

13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Irrelevant now.

How can it possibly be irrelevant?

That's a bit like saying, "Well it doesn't matter that Owen Coyle/Paul Ince has landed us in a relegation battle, it's done now so we might as well stick with them."

Plus, how can Mowbray be trusted going forward when his transfer dealings have been so dire? If anything given he's stuffed us up for FFP purposes it's now even more crucial that the next man is an astute operator in the transfer market and makes every penny count.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Warburton has got QPR below us in the League. Apart from Rowett the other 3 names would have been complete fantasy - I have never said there are not better managers out there just that (1) you have only to look at the owners' track record in manager recruitment to see what sort of manager would actually be hired, (2) the owners' toxic reputation in the game and the way the club is run is a serious deterrent to attracting a good manager (3) and the potential FFP position compounds that.

More nonsense. They aren't fantasy. We are Blackburn Rovers - not Tranmere Rovers.  Plenty of people would be proud to manage our club.  The owners 'toxic reputation' is very old hat. They are patient as hell, and proved it over the past three years with the messiah. They also get their hands in their pockets...again, proven with Saint Tony.

14 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Warburton has got QPR below us in the League. Apart from Rowett the other 3 names would have been complete fantasy - I have never said there are not better managers out there just that (1) you have only to look at the owners' track record in manager recruitment to see what sort of manager would actually be hired, (2) the owners' toxic reputation in the game and the way the club is run is a serious deterrent to attracting a good manager (3) and the potential FFP position compounds that.

We couldnt afford Bilic or Pearson wages. People are suddenly thinking we paid more we get one. But I think someone posted on here that Rovers have approach Pearson before and been rejected. Pardew, think him going overseas and trying to manage over there in Holland is a big bonus. 

Rowett and Warburton are both good managers imo similar to Mowbray. 

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think someone posted on here that Rovers have approach Pearson before and been rejected. 

When? This extra bit of information is crucial to your point, if you are claiming it as fact.

If we had have approached him before the Watford job came along he'd have snapped our hands off I reckon 

16 minutes ago, tomphil said:

It was either pre TM or Coyle but he was sounded out and allegedly was holding out for something else.  Think it might have been before he went to Derby.

Thanks Tomphil. Thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure. 

Was it after Bowyer left and before Lambert was appointed

Paul Senior told me that Mowbray was his 1st choice to take over from Coyle

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

How can it possibly be irrelevant?

That's a bit like saying, "Well it doesn't matter that Owen Coyle/Paul Ince has landed us in a relegation battle, it's done now so we might as well stick with them."

Plus, how can Mowbray be trusted going forward when his transfer dealings have been so dire? If anything given he's stuffed us up for FFP purposes it's now even more crucial that the next man is an astute operator in the transfer market and makes every penny count.

There aren't any pennies left to count after £2million plus is spent on moving on the present management team.

10 hours ago, Pedro said:

More nonsense. They aren't fantasy. We are Blackburn Rovers - not Tranmere Rovers.  Plenty of people would be proud to manage our club.  The owners 'toxic reputation' is very old hat. They are patient as hell, and proved it over the past three years with the messiah. They also get their hands in their pockets...again, proven with Saint Tony.

You have this naive trust in Venky's which I find both touching and tragic in equal measures.Nobody with a choice would ever choose them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks Tomphil. Thought it was you but wasn't 100% sure. 

Was it after Bowyer left and before Lambert was appointed

Paul Senior told me that Mowbray was his 1st choice to take over from Coyle

I think it was between GB and Lambert yes, it was an ex Rovers player who was saying he was expecting Pearson to come. Somebody who applied for the job himself i believe.

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You have this naive trust in Venky's which I find both touching and tragic in equal measures.Nobody with a choice would ever choose them.

Venky's are still here and financing the club. That's not tragic, despite their mistakes; it's a remarkable act of faith

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

There aren't any pennies left to count after £2million plus is spent on moving on the present management team.

How did Millwall, Reading, Huddersfield, Stoke, Barnsley, Forest, Birmingham all manage to fire off managers?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Venky’s have continually only appointed managers from a very small pool that share one essential criteria.

I am quite confident I can guess what that criteria. Despite this we have someone posting above, who seems to have a soft spot for them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

Venky’s have continually only appointed managers from a very small pool that share one essential criteria.

Well the last three have all been unemployed, cheap, and with a championship promotion on there CV.

Before that there was the ex player obsession, the promotion from within, and Michael Appleton for some reason.

They are not suddenly going to go out and find a young dynamic manager doing well at another club.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, lraC said:

I am quite confident I can guess what that criteria. Despite this we have someone posting above, who seems to have a soft spot for them.

They’re all arrived via Dave Sheron and his HSH Sports Middlesbrough ex SEM mob messrs Honeyman and Horner.

Its like manager roulette 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Apart from Birmingham presumably not up against FFP issues - there have been reports that Birmingham are facing a further points deduction for FFP 

How can those clubs not be facing Ffp issues? All have massive wage bills, similar gates or have come out of the Premier League and need to make massive cutbacks.

There were reports of Bolton facing sanctions from the League for not turning up for games yet they got away with it. Why worry about such things when punishments are few and far between. If we reach Mowbray's target of 70 points we won't get play offs so a 9 point deduction and clean slate wouldnt hurt us.

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Well seeing as he's at Premier League Watford then no obviously.

but he wasn't when they picked him up he was managing in Belgium he said when taking over at Watford he thought his chance had gone in the PL. With what we offer and pay managers you are always going to be scraping the scrapheap pile

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

but he wasn't when they picked him up he was managing in Belgium he said when taking over at Watford he thought his chance had gone in the PL. With what we offer and pay managers you are always going to be scraping the scrapheap pile

He wasn't when we were linked before, always a long shot but you don't know until you try. Had Derby not come up he may have been interested. These are the guys you have to keep pitching for and sooner or later you'll get one.  However there is no point in anyone doing that at Rovers because the same sources have provided the last 3.

In fact they've probably provided most of the managers under Venkys aside from Bowyer.  If they dealt with some higher end agents perhaps they'd get presented better clients. You'd think they might have twigged that by now.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How can those clubs not be facing Ffp issues? All have massive wage bills, similar gates or have come out of the Premier League and need to make massive cutbacks.

There were reports of Bolton facing sanctions from the League for not turning up for games yet they got away with it. Why worry about such things when punishments are few and far between. If we reach Mowbray's target of 70 points we won't get play offs so a 9 point deduction and clean slate wouldnt hurt us.

We don't look like reaching 70 points - with 37 points from 27 games we are on course for 63-64 points but with Dack no longer available we could well come in below that level at which point a 9 points deduction might take us very close to going over the edge.

Huddersfield and Stoke both have parachute payments from the Premier League to help them now, Reading apparently sold some land, Barnsley have sold a lot of players, and looking at Millwall's most recently available accounts they made total losses of just under £11m for the 2 years to June 2018 so I would not expect them to be anywhere near the £39m threshold for losses.