Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Venky’s have continually only appointed managers from a very small pool that share one essential criteria.

Quite.

Do we know how many of our player signings / extended contracts share the same criteria?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, PeteJD13 said:

but he wasn't when they picked him up he was managing in Belgium he said when taking over at Watford he thought his chance had gone in the PL. With what we offer and pay managers you are always going to be scraping the scrapheap pile

He wasn't when we were linked before, always a long shot but you don't know until you try. Had Derby not come up he may have been interested. These are the guys you have to keep pitching for and sooner or later you'll get one.  However there is no point in anyone doing that at Rovers because the same sources have provided the last 3.

In fact they've probably provided most of the managers under Venkys aside from Bowyer.  If they dealt with some higher end agents perhaps they'd get presented better clients. You'd think they might have twigged that by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JHRover said:

How can those clubs not be facing Ffp issues? All have massive wage bills, similar gates or have come out of the Premier League and need to make massive cutbacks.

There were reports of Bolton facing sanctions from the League for not turning up for games yet they got away with it. Why worry about such things when punishments are few and far between. If we reach Mowbray's target of 70 points we won't get play offs so a 9 point deduction and clean slate wouldnt hurt us.

We don't look like reaching 70 points - with 37 points from 27 games we are on course for 63-64 points but with Dack no longer available we could well come in below that level at which point a 9 points deduction might take us very close to going over the edge.

Huddersfield and Stoke both have parachute payments from the Premier League to help them now, Reading apparently sold some land, Barnsley have sold a lot of players, and looking at Millwall's most recently available accounts they made total losses of just under £11m for the 2 years to June 2018 so I would not expect them to be anywhere near the £39m threshold for losses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You have this naive trust in Venky's which I find both touching and tragic in equal measures.Nobody with a choice would ever choose them.

Bit like Mowbray didn’t have a choice and little old Rovers have resurrected his career to the point of him being “the best we could ever hope to get”.

Just think if Mowbray ever left. We’d have to shut the club down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Being a member of the Flat Earth Society is a remarkable act of faith - but the members are still potty.

Irrelevant and a non-sequitur - unless you are suggesting that billionaires are potty. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Quite.

Do we know how many of our player signings / extended contracts share the same criteria?

Brereton could well be attached to the same group, as for the rest, perhaps the owners were badly advised and have learned their lessons. On second thoughts, probably not. 

Edited by lraC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Derby in trouble for exceeding permitted losses.

A 12 points deduction would put them in the bottom 2. However, I noted that the expedient penalty for Brum was calculated, so as not to do too much damage in terms of relegation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People are saying complaints from Steve Gibson prompted this. It wasn't Jack's fault that they were deducted 3 points so if this is a way of getting back at him that's pathetic. Maybe he should have blamed his arrogant (and incompetent) manager at that time and ask if he would have done the same to Man United. I doubt it.

Not to mention employing an absolute racist thicko like Jonathan Woodgate. So who the hell is he to tell people how to run things? Jackass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

You have this naive trust in Venky's which I find both touching and tragic in equal measures.Nobody with a choice would ever choose them.

Again, steeped in irony that they provided you with your only man for the job. Your lack of factual information and general depth to your opinions is possibly the most tragic thing I've read on here, for quite some time.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We couldnt afford Bilic or Pearson wages. People are suddenly thinking we paid more we get one. But I think someone posted on here that Rovers have approach Pearson before and been rejected. Pardew, think him going overseas and trying to manage over there in Holland is a big bonus. 

Rowett and Warburton are both good managers imo similar to Mowbray. 

Chaddy, how on Earth would you know what wages we pay and what those individuals request?  Genuinely no offence, but simply put - you don't have the foggiest. 

Pearson was cast off and on the scrap heap, I doubt he was in a very strong negotiating position. Pardew's stock also tumbled- hence why he is managing a team that nobody has really heard of or cares for.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Chaddy, how on Earth would you know what wages we pay and what those individuals request?  Genuinely no offence, but simply put - you don't have the foggiest. 

Pearson was cast off and on the scrap heap, I doubt he was in a very strong negotiating position. Pardew's stock also tumbled- hence why he is managing a team that nobody has really heard of or cares for.  

well like I posted on this site very recently the wages we were paying Kean and Berg in this league. 

How did Coyle get the job when everything was agreed with Warnock to take over? Did he massively uncut how much we were going to pay Warnock per season?

Bilic was on 65k a week when he West Ham manager. Do you really think he would take such a drop in wages to join us? I wanted Bilic when we sacked Allardyce. 

All because you haven't heard who Pardew's new club doesn't mean the rest of us have. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Chaddy, how on Earth would you know what wages we pay and what those individuals request?  Genuinely no offence, but simply put - you don't have the foggiest. 

Pearson was cast off and on the scrap heap, I doubt he was in a very strong negotiating position. Pardew's stock also tumbled- hence why he is managing a team that nobody has really heard of or cares for.  

Wouldn't surprise me if Mowbray is in the upper pay bracket of Championship managers.

I don't think Vs are shy of generosity to people they like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well like I posted on this site very recently the wages we were paying Kean and Berg in this league. 

How did Coyle get the job when everything was agreed with Warnock to take over? Did he massively uncut how much we were going to pay Warnock per season?

Bilic was on 65k a week when he West Ham manager. Do you really think he would take such a drop in wages to join us? I wanted Bilic when we sacked Allardyce. 

All because you haven't heard who Pardew's new club doesn't mean the rest of us have. 

 

Kean started managing this club nearly ten years ago, Berg seven.  

Bilic was managing in the Premier League on those wages - not sure what the relevance of wanting him back then has to do with anything btw.

Coyle - again, I can't answer your questions as nobody knows. What I do know is Twitter rumour doesn't equate facts but the more it is spun and repeated, people seem to absorb it as gospel.

Re your little dig, I have heard of Pardew's team, but as I clearly state - nobody cares about them. Sticking to facts, he won't be on massive wages there because they are a ten-bob Dutch outfit who seemingly need Ben Brereton.  That says it all really.  I'm pretty sure he'd rather have got the call off us and the wage we offer - regardless of some of our super supporters trying to run us down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

well like I posted on this site very recently the wages we were paying Kean and Berg in this league. 

How did Coyle get the job when everything was agreed with Warnock to take over? Did he massively uncut how much we were going to pay Warnock per season?

Bilic was on 65k a week when he West Ham manager. Do you really think he would take such a drop in wages to join us? I wanted Bilic when we sacked Allardyce. 

All because you haven't heard who Pardew's new club doesn't mean the rest of us have. 

 

You never answered his question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Kean started managing this club nearly ten years ago, Berg seven.  

Bilic was managing in the Premier League on those wages - not sure what the relevance of wanting him back then has to do with anything btw.

Coyle - again, I can't answer your questions as nobody knows. What I do know is Twitter rumour doesn't equate facts but the more it is spun and repeated, people seem to absorb it as gospel.

Re your little dig, I have heard of Pardew's team, but as I clearly state - nobody cares about them. Sticking to facts, he won't be on massive wages there because they are a ten-bob Dutch outfit who seemingly need Ben Brereton.  That says it all really.  I'm pretty sure he'd rather have got the call off us and the wage we offer - regardless of some of our super supporters trying to run us down.

Its show the wages we were paying then. I don't see they paying much more than that now. That's my opinion. I have shown what we paying. 

Do you have anything that show what we pay now or not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the amounts we spent on Gallagher & Brereton, plus what it would have cost to extend costly contracts like Mulgrew and Evans I can't believe the money isn't there to afford a good manager if we were so inclined to do so. Unfortunately Venky's have always had it backwards in this respect, continually going for the cheap option for the management position even when spending decent money on players at times. Fair to say if we'd used to combined £12m it cost for Gallagher and Brereton and instead used it on a top Championship manager we'd likely be in a much better position right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see what happens to Derby. Big brave talk on the League media platforms to show everyone how serious they are about breaches. Not quite the same as actually enforcing a significant points deduction.

When Birmingham did it they waited months and months until Birmingham had no realistic chance of promotion or relegation and then did them for 9 points which Birmingham were more than happy with. Suspect something similar will occur with mid table Derby.

Imagine the trouble if a deduction relegated a club or cost them promotion. A legal minefield awaits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Let's see what happens to Derby. Big brave talk on the League media platforms to show everyone how serious they are about breaches. Not quite the same as actually enforcing a significant points deduction.

When Birmingham did it they waited months and months until Birmingham had no realistic chance of promotion or relegation and then did them for 9 points which Birmingham were more than happy with. Suspect something similar will occur with mid table Derby.

Imagine the trouble if a deduction relegated a club or cost them promotion. A legal minefield awaits.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread last week 5 unnamed Championship clubs visited the EFL to register their dissatisfaction with the failure to set a date for the hearing on the Sheffield Wednesday situation and over Wednesday continuing to sign players. Clubs are now prepared to use lawyers to force the EFL to apply the FFP rules and a legal minefield also awaits if the EFL do not do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

As I mentioned earlier on this thread last week 5 unnamed Championship clubs visited the EFL to register their dissatisfaction with the failure to set a date for the hearing on the Sheffield Wednesday situation and over Wednesday continuing to sign players. Clubs are now prepared to use lawyers to force the EFL to apply the FFP rules and a legal minefield also awaits if the EFL do not do so.

Aye. It's one thing for clubs' highly-paid lawyers to run rings around the EFL (I see it all the time in my line of work with respect to poorly paid and overworked regulators!), but once other clubs' own highly-paid lawyers start lining up on the EFL's side...

We're also seeing that with clubs complaining to the EFL about Bolton's relatively lenient treatment in missing fixtures. It's not just the club facing sanctions but the implications for other clubs fighting for promotion/relegation.

Easy to get frustrated with the EFL's failings and all the fighting going on, but I actually see it as a welcome re-balancing. Maybe some self-policing is needed if the EFL isn't up to it. Thinking longer-term, at least as an interim measure if the EFL needs some time to retrench and improve its internal capacity after being so exposed.

Maybe a couple of the clubs will get away with the stadium selling gambit (it's actually kinda clever, and it's also important to keep in mind that it also raises running costs due to introducing stadium leasing costs. It only really helps within the 3-year FFP window that the profit is realised), but Derby claiming they sold their stadium at an 'independently-valued' £80m after having it valued in their accounts at £41m looks particularly egregious (good luck arguing for £39m in 'intangibles' there!)

Edited by RoverCanada

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.