BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

FFP Trouble

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

I've got a vision of the fans forum meeting... Birdy sat at the head of the table adorned in a 'Rovers No1 fan' shirt as he blissfully chomps on a Meat and Potato.

Mmmmmm! Pie Heaven.. all is well.

Pie heaven it ain’t! There never bloody are any!

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do we know how close we are to the FFP limit? 

Can any Fans forum member added anything more to the minutes pubilshed?

Add to the minutes? Don’t be silly Chaddy! 

“Who controls the minutes controls the future.

Who controls the present controls the pies.”

S. Waggott, January 2020

• Like 5

21 hours ago, TBTF said:

On the threshold of FFP yet we spend what £100k to go to Portugal ! There must be getting on for 30 or so in the travelling party so I bet it’s not far short .Thsts slot of ticket sales mr Maggott .

Doubt it will be anywhere near £100k for this trip. I've just looked on the hotel website and 4 nights next week is £395 for a twin room. 

Flights with Easyjet to Faro out of school holiday season on a block booking- probably £100-150 each return. Maybe 35 or so on the trip including backroom staff lets say 40. 

Block booking at the hotel probably cheaper than single rooms too.

Be surprised if it cost much more than £15-20k. 

• Like 1

Just now, JHRover said:

Doubt it will be anywhere near £100k for this trip. I've just looked on the hotel website and 4 nights next week is £395 for a twin room. 

Flights with Easyjet to Faro out of school holiday season on a block booking- probably £100-150 each return. Maybe 35 or so on the trip including backroom staff lets say 40. 

Block booking at the hotel probably cheaper than single rooms too.

Be surprised if it cost much more than £15-20k. 

Still a nice reward for getting knocked out if the cup 

I was listening to the commentary on Brentford v. Leicester on BBC1 and mention's been made about the profits Brentford make by selling players they've bought cheaply.

Anybody know if there's a 'sell-on clause' in the Raya transfer??

3 hours ago, m1st said:

I was listening to the commentary on Brentford v. Leicester on BBC1 and mention's been made about the profits Brentford make by selling players they've bought cheaply.

Anybody know if there's a 'sell-on clause' in the Raya transfer??

Exactly, TM throws him under the bus in public while Brentford who are notorious for picking up 'cheap bargains' and turning them into massive profit makers splash out 3 mil on him. I know which one i would be putting my money on being right.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Exactly, TM throws him under the bus in public while Brentford who are notorious for picking up 'cheap bargains' and turning them into massive profit makers splash out 3 mil on him. I know which one i would be putting my money on being right.

Yet again if you were owning and funding a football club to the tune these lot are you'd be asking serious questions about this. Along with the other obvious one but when you let people have what appears to be free reign these things will happen.

• Like 2

I never thought I'd type the following words, and I'll bet you never expected to read them, but "there was an interesting article in the Metro yesterday".? ?

It was on the subject of FFP and made the point that we are not alone. We weren't mentioned specifically, but the article pointed out that even the teams at the top of the table - West Brom were cited- haven't looked that brilliant this season.

At the time the article was published yesterday morning, the author said that Championship "teams have so far made a grand total of eight permanent signings between them in this transfer window, and there is one major reason for that - FFP."

"... so many clubs are struggling to comply with Financial Fair Play Rules that significant signings are nigh-on impossible - and it is showing on the pitch.

"A rule designed to improve competition and stop clubs going bust is instead a cap on ambition and also creates a huge gulf to the Premier League for those who do go up.

"Do they splurge the cash like Aston Villa - with all the problems bedding in north of £100 million worth of players in one fell swoop brings - or not, like Norwich, and ensure relegation would not be a financial catastrophe?

"The intentions of FFP may be honourable but, right now, fans of Championship clubs are being short-changed."

I've quoted so much of the article, not to point any fingers at anyone in authority at Ewood, but to point out that we're in good[?] company in struggling with the shackles of FFP.

Who knows: Brentford's approach - buy them cheap; sell them at a significant profit - may be the most effective way to get us back to the halcyon days of the 1990s.

But that would surely require a good, reliable scouting network across Europe. And that seems as likely to appear at Ewood any time soon as those defenders we were apparently promised were "coming".

• Like 4

It would also require better management on and off the park and the severing of putting money in agents pockets.

Non of that will happen under the Venky model of running this club i'm afraid.  To be honest he's got some front saying the Brentford way is what we should be doing when he's spewed the money he has on who he has then flogged them a future star on the cheap because they'd fallen out.

But why would he say that and totally contradict his actions ?  Lost the plot or hinting through interviews that his advice isn't being heeded by those pushing the buttons ?

• Like 1