BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

5 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Did Downing play CDM with Travis? And if so I think this could be a critical opportunity for us, to have a good ball playing CDM that opens up the play? 

Also how did Gallagher play? 

Downing played in CDM alongside Travis. He was brilliant, but it is worth saying Wednesday put absolutely zero pressure on him.

When Downing has played in the centre before he has really struggled when pressed. So I'm on the fence as to whether it is something we persist with.

I'm sure the team will be unchanged for the next game so that will be better judge of whether it was a one off or not.

Gallagher played well and finished his goal brilliantly. Still ultimately looks awkward on the right wing. All his best work was when he cut in.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

A bit strong? I just thought Travis went in to win the ball. Not sure the Wed player did much wrong from the video, though.

It’s the rolling around and the 3 rolls clutching his ankle then getting up which quite rightly pissed a few Wednesday fans off. He’s done it before actually I just can’t think which game. I know everyone does it too us and it infuriates us.

Still these are the teams to beat if we want to progress and get back.

44 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Travis has turned into a right little diving shit. Never a red card in a million years.

That was embarassing. Probably not even a free kick when I was playing. Tosin overplayed the pass and Travis dived in to get the ball back. Their guy thought about a tackle and then pulled back. Travis started rolling around like he'd broken his leg. The players and officials are killing the game. Message to referees - when players are seriously injured they don't roll around, you lie very, very still.

I suppose it makes up for Bennett getting the early bath for an equally innocuous " foul " against Huddersfield.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

First of all we should give credit where credit is really due-

to the publicans of South Yorkshire.

That is a sterling piece of inn-keeping with the Wednesday players permanently on the lash since their 2-0 win at Elland Road last week. With a bit of luck they won't sober up until after the play-offs..

I am totally delighted but not surprised. In the everyone can beat everyone category, Wednesday had this coming to them since their Rhodes assisted 4-0 romp at the City Ground, Nottingham. And Rovers have a history of unexpected good results at Hillsborough- I have seen a couple of 3-0 wins there and to be honest I think I have only ever seen us lose once there.

Also not surprised because I have felt all season that individually and collectively, Rovers are capable of being a lot better than Mowbray usually sets us up to be.

Fingers crossed there is minimal tinkering for the QPR game. They are well capable of repaying the compliment back at Ewood; we were quite fortunate to get away with only a 4-2 defeat down at Loftus Road. Shame we have to wait ten days for that game to come round.

• Like 3

Cant comment directly on todays performance but a fantastic result, well done to all concerned. Very lucky with the red card which was a poor decision and made our job easier but even against 10 men we often struggle so to get such a scoreline at a difficult ground is a brilliant achievement.

A few more general observations:

Really glad to see Holtby get a couple of goals, and scrappy, scruffy goals from close range at that. A lot of people have clamoured for a 442 formation in the absence of Dack, but Holtby is a high quality footballer who understandably has had to be shoehorned in when Dack was fit, despite his own quality. I dont think its realistic to expect him to post the numbers and thus impact of Dack but we should build the team with him as a 10.

Armstrong didnt score but got 2 more assists, and he is absolutely key. Would be interested to know how he played as the number 9 as I still cannot shake lingering doubts that he should play that role due to certain deficiencies (cant really hold the ball up, always wants the ball in behind but often poorly times his runs and gets caught offside) but he is becoming a very important player for us

Really glad to see Gallagher get a goal at the end, ultimately overall his numbers are still very, very poor and his previous 2 goals havent led to him kicking on but it was a superb finish and I hope this can be the cataylst for him to push on. The wing experiment should be stopped so I do wonder how he would get much game time with Armstrong and Holtby down the middle. The one thing that I can always guarantee with him is when you compare him to Brereton, he grafts and busts a gut whereas Brereton doesnt. So good on him.

The centre back pairing are one I am happy with, I just hope Lenihan is here long term, give him the captaincy full time, and we are back to square one next season once Adarabioyo goes back but he has been a very shrewd short term addition. Nyambe I hope goes under the radar and his body is capable of standing up to the rigours without repeatedly breaking down injured, he is a good one on one defender who really causes so many problems with his pace and power going forward, he cant cross at the moment so hopefully he is practising plenty but him and Bennett are night and day and he really has made himself a key member of our team.

Downing is a class act as we know, Mowbray often uses Bennett as an example of versatility but whereas he is basically a liability wherever he is played, you can put Downing at left back, wide left or today and perhaps where he is now best at his age, in the centre of midfield and he will almost certainly perform to very high levels. If he carries on like this he is a must for an extra year.

And great to see Rankin Costello come on and get an assist. The last player who came through ie Buckley looks a million miles up so it would be a huge bonus if JRC could come in as a regular member of the squad in those wide positions which are very much open to nail down. It would be interested to see who is loaned out, JRC definitely not I would suspect, Brereton and Buckley definitely should be, the interesting middle one is Chapman.

• Like 4

I'd wager that nobody saw that coming. A dominant performance from start to finish which could have easily been 8-0. I thought it was in midfield where we excelled and Stewart Downing once again ensures another large helping on humble pie for me. I know it's not a massive pool to fish in but he is Mowbrays second best signing for me. I can only remember him giving the ball away once today and his cross field passes were a joy to watch. I have said many times that we are in the results business and winning games will keep the heat off Mowbray. Picking holes in performances both individually and collectively is difficult when we win so the simple answer is to keep winning. That said the idiot of the day award goes to Joe Rothwell. There was a real chance today for him to fill his boots but the most stupid caution ever gave Mowbray the opportunity to take him off.

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Cant comment directly on todays performance but a fantastic result, well done to all concerned. Very lucky with the red card which was a poor decision and made our job easier but even against 10 men we often struggle so to get such a scoreline at a difficult ground is a brilliant achievement.

A few more general observations:

Really glad to see Holtby get a couple of goals, and scrappy, scruffy goals from close range at that. A lot of people have clamoured for a 442 formation in the absence of Dack, but Holtby is a high quality footballer who understandably has had to be shoehorned in when Dack was fit, despite his own quality. I dont think its realistic to expect him to post the numbers and thus impact of Dack but we should build the team with him as a 10.

Armstrong didnt score but got 2 more assists, and he is absolutely key. Would be interested to know how he played as the number 9 as I still cannot shake lingering doubts that he should play that role due to certain deficiencies (cant really hold the ball up, always wants the ball in behind but often poorly times his runs and gets caught offside) but he is becoming a very important player for us

Really glad to see Gallagher get a goal at the end, ultimately overall his numbers are still very, very poor and his previous 2 goals havent led to him kicking on but it was a superb finish and I hope this can be the cataylst for him to push on. The wing experiment should be stopped so I do wonder how he would get much game time with Armstrong and Holtby down the middle. The one thing that I can always guarantee with him is when you compare him to Brereton, he grafts and busts a gut whereas Brereton doesnt. So good on him.

The centre back pairing are one I am happy with, I just hope Lenihan is here long term, give him the captaincy full time, and we are back to square one next season once Adarabioyo goes back but he has been a very shrewd short term addition. Nyambe I hope goes under the radar and his body is capable of standing up to the rigours without repeatedly breaking down injured, he is a good one on one defender who really causes so many problems with his pace and power going forward, he cant cross at the moment so hopefully he is practising plenty but him and Bennett are night and day and he really has made himself a key member of our team.

Downing is a class act as we know, Mowbray often uses Bennett as an example of versatility but whereas he is basically a liability wherever he is played, you can put Downing at left back, wide left or today and perhaps where he is now best at his age, in the centre of midfield and he will almost certainly perform to very high levels. If he carries on like this he is a must for an extra year.

And great to see Rankin Costello come on and get an assist. The last player who came through ie Buckley looks a million miles up so it would be a huge bonus if JRC could come in as a regular member of the squad in those wide positions which are very much open to nail down. It would be interested to see who is loaned out, JRC definitely not I would suspect, Brereton and Buckley definitely should be, the interesting middle one is Chapman.

Nice oobservation Bennett and Downing. Very true. 

Ya and Gallagher really does put a shift in. That's why fans are more patient with him. I'm not from Blackburn,but I have noticed the fans ALWAYS support a player who gives their all. The fans can't be knocked for that. 

• Like 2

I had an interesting perspective on this, watching the game from the Eastbank with my Wednesday supporting mate. If anyone thinks any Rovers fans have given the team a bad time at times this season they should have been with me. Watching with the home fans you tend to watch the home players a bit more than you would. They were truly terrible today and basically allowed us to play as we wanted - Tosin had an age to lay a decisive through ball time after time - Brentford made the same mistake when we beat them but other teams since have been wise to it. Their starting 11 was the same as their last two away wins at Brighton in the cup and at Leeds last week, although by all accounts the wins were not as impressive as they look.

I've certainly never seen so many fans leave so early from a game. A significant number never came back after half time and then literally thousands walked out when we got the fourth very early in the second half.. I doubt barely half the 23K who started the match made it to the final whistle. Philipl's Sheffield landlords will have made another killing this afternoon.

And I was in the programme!

Edited by only2garners
  • Like 2

Credit to Mowbray and the players today for an excellent performance from first whistle to last.  Tactically we were spot on for 90 minutes.  No weak links, although Rothwell was stupid to get booked when he was having one of his better games.  Sensible substitution to take him off before Wednesday tried to get him booked again.  I thought Downing was outstanding and ran the game.  His vision and range of passing is a joy to watch - no aimless balls, everything done with purpose.

Gallagher had a better game coming in from wide positions and caused Wednesday lots of problems as did Holtby in the Dack Role.

Defensively we looked sound and Bell had another good game at left-back.  It was good to see both Rankin-Costello and Davenport get a run out in the second half and both looked very comfortable on the ball.

Wednesday looked very poor and their fans left in droves after goals three and four.

• Like 5