BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Anybody saying Nyambe isn't a different player now to the one he was Week 1 this season clearly has poor memory. He was struggling, the defence in general was sturggling too. He lacked any confidence going forward, wasn't beating his man and couldn't deal with the pressures of right-back week in week out. The big turning point for me was Stoke away, that great ball through to Dack which eventually lead to our winning goal - I think from there he's just never looked back.

He had two things you can't coach, pace and strength. That was obvious from early in his career. It was just a question of wether those assets could be built on.

4 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Extended highlights

Even allowing for the sending off, which seemed to knock the stuffing out of them, Sheffield Wednesday were dire.

5-0 wins away from home are a cause for celebration but I'd be amazed if we kick on from this and get anywhere near the play-offs.  The rubbish served up over the Christmas and new year period is more of an indication of our real level than the complete aberration of yesterday's result. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Even allowing for the sending off, which seemed to knock the stuffing out of them, Sheffield Wednesday were dire.

5-0 wins away from home are a cause for celebration but I'd be amazed if we kick on from this and get anywhere near the play-offs.  The rubbish served up over the Christmas and new year period is more of an indication of our real level than the complete aberration of yesterday's result. 

Rubbish, why can’t the fantastic run before Christmas be the indicator?

Your take on the match as a Rovers fan is scandalous tbf. Anyone who actually Went / watched yesterday knows we were absolutely bloody brilliant. We ran over a side in 5th position (in their back yard) who’d just won at Leeds and were on a cracking run. They were as good as we let them be. 

Edited by Paul Mani
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Absolute garbage, why can’t the fantastic run before Christmas be the indicator? 

.... because it was false.

Did you attend the home match with Wigan? We could have been in the top 6 that night but played like frightened schoolboys. We then took 3 points out of 15. 

Yesterday's was a fantastic result but it was a one-off.  It's no co-incidence most of our best performances have been away. QPR will likely beat us in our next home match.

• Like 4

I think ultimately the overall season is the best indicator. Yesterdays win was absolutely brilliant, but also is in isolation, was totally unexpected in terms of poor recent form and was whilst I am not saying that we wouldnt have won v 11, it was v 10 men. Clinically ruthless and dominant and very pleasing all the same.

To trouble the top 6, we would have to go on a freakishly consistent good run that we havent threatened to do in any way up until now. Weve had good runs and bad runs in equal measure, something consistent since promotion, we have good players and we have weaknesses, we have never been in the top 6 or in the bottom 5, we are the definition of an inconsistent mid table team. We have also struggled more since our best player got injured and we dont have much money to strengthen.

Suggesting that the top 6 is a very real proposition based on one game is a little fanciful, equally suggesting that we might get into trouble is equally difficult to back up with historical evidence.

• Like 3

We’ve a decent run of fixtures coming up that take us to mid February.
QPR (h), Boro (a), Fulham (h), Hull (h), Charlton (a).

Obviously Fulham is the standout challenge, but we don’t lose many at Ewood. Now is the time to make a charge... so in true Rovers style, about 4 points from 15 incoming.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously Fulham is the standout challenge, but we don’t lose many at Ewood. Now is the time to make a charge... so about 4 points from 15 incoming.

10 points would do for me.

• Like 2

• Backroom

The fact that we go 5-6 wins on the bounce followed by 5-6 without a win quite often allows the extremes in opinion, we just get a bit of hope then slip away then quietly climb again.

If we were win one / lose one things may be a little calmer, we’re about where we should be, not quite troubling the top 6 due to lack of consistency but not far off 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Obviously Fulham is the standout challenge, but we don’t lose many at Ewood. Now is the time to make a charge... so in true Rovers style, about 4 points from 15 incoming.

I can't look beyond QPR. Adding points up pre-emptively never ends well! Unless I said 0. I think we will get 0. 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Your take on the match as a Rovers fan is scandalous tbf. Anyone who actually Went / watched yesterday knows we were absolutely bloody brilliant. We ran over a side in 5th position (in their back yard) who’d just won at Leeds and were on a cracking run. They were as good as we let them be. 

tbf - they were not really on a cracking run.

Agree with the rest though.

Edited by JacknOry

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

You’d be surprised what they say mate. (I don’t speak to or know TM btw) Plus, there’s a difference between players towing the line and openly saying they love a manager. It’s easy to see why. He’s open and transparent with them. Isn’t always right but has the best intentions of the players and the club at heart. They love the fact that Jonty has been promoted and can see a route into the first team. Fully expect a few more young lads to break through and play regularly in the next few months.

I wonder if in years to come we will look back and fondly remember the manager who gave debuts to and established 5-8 academy players at this level? Maybe, maybe not.

Is the club advertising for a PR Officer?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I'll look forward to the promotion push then...?

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Did you attend the home match with Wigan? We could have been in the top 6 that night but played like frightened schoolboys. We then took 3 points out of 15. 

Yesterday's was a fantastic result but it was a one-off.  It's no co-incidence most of our best performances have been away. QPR will likely beat us in our next home match.

Yep, we only play well with no pressure.  Bottlers as soon as it means something.....players and manager.

Mowbray out

• Like 3

Great win yesterday, especially as those who were there say it was even more comprehensive than a 0-5 scoreline suggests. Nice to hear too that it wasn't just them going down to 10 men that was the catalyst.

Shame it's done little more than improve our goal difference & move us up a couple of places, so we need to follow it up with a good win v QPR for it to mean much.

It sounds like everything TM has been talking about wanting from "the way we play" came together yesterday; controlling possession, passing with intent, using pace to good effect, putting efforts on target. None of it rocket science but a good blend of passion, technique & confidence that, if replicated regularly, could really take us places.

Amongst many positives (Downing, Holtby, Nyambe, Travis, Armstrong, Gallagher),  I'm especially pleased to see JRC come on & contribute. Those two through balls for Armstrong then Gallagher were sublime, tore the defence to shreds. With Armstrong & Gallagher such willing runners, that could be a real weapon for us.

Let's keep feet on the ground though. There's no reason this cant be a springboard, but history tells us not to take things for granted and presume anything. A win v QPR (tough but certainly not unlikely; they were awful v Brentford but then beat Leeds yesterday) plus a couple of decent signings & we can go into February's run of 7 games with real confidence. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

Yesterday was hugely enjoyable, that goes without saying but I thought we were better against Bristol City just prior to Christmas. I just hope we don't get carried away again and lulled into this mindset where our approach is too relaxed and over confident.

On the sending off it looked harsh but after seeing some of the antics of the likes of Preston I have no issues with us becoming horrible to play against. As I said after the Bristol game that kind of attitude is part of our heritage and identity.

Yesterday was the first time I have seen us score five away from home since I first went in the mid sixties, some fifty odd years. I took my granddaughter to her third away game yesterday and when I told her  she beamed knowing she has put one over on me. ??

One of my friends who would have to be anaesthatised and dragged to any football match tells me she thinks I'm very 'fluffy'.

It's posts like this one, esp. the last paragraph, which make me so fluffy. To think that there'll be a Rovers' fan in the 2070s who'll remember yesterday's game with a fond memory tells me that whatever our owners, or their 'advisers' do with, or to, This Great Club Of Ours, it'll still be safe with fans like her!

Right, FLUFF ALERT over!??

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, m1st said:

One of my friends who would have to be anaesthatised and dragged to any football match tells me she thinks I'm very 'fluffy'.

It's posts like this one, esp. the last paragraph, which make me so fluffy. To think that there'll be a Rovers' fan in the 2070s who'll remember yesterday's game with a fond memory tells me that whatever our owners, or their 'advisers' do with, or to, This Great Club Of Ours, it'll still be safe with fans like her!

Right, FLUFF ALERT over!??

?

Edited by Doug

As you may have been able to tell, I've saved this evening for catching up on the euphoria of yesterday's win and there's just one thing which I'd like to add about Ryan Nyambe.

Imo, one of the best things about his development is that he's now won his first couple of international caps for Namibia. He MUST surely be boosted by that and know, deep down, that he has the real potential to develop further.

Let's hope that the club management pick up on this and encourage it for the benefit and, of course, This Great Club Of Ours.

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The point is we had one run of good results, and one run of bad results. You're choosing to say that the run of bad results is the "true Blackburn"... it is a little defeatist. There's no evidence to say either is the true Blackburn. The true Blackburn for me is both runs, mid-table, some weeks we're great, others we can't break teams down.