BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Just a bit odd you prefer using a less warm term for the club you obviously care a lot about on a forum of Rovers nuts, a term non fans usually use, but that’s up to you.

(Though I suppose not being from the area means it’s just second nature)

Truth in that. I say Rovers here because obviously everyone knows who I mean,  where I am from there are junior football teams called rovers as well as the fact I could mean any other club with Rovers in the title. Whereas if you're from Blackburn or around,I presume everyone would know who you mean by Rovers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Nope. If that was the case there wouldn't be the need for continual corrections on here. 

People from outside the area may be near other clubs with Rovers in the title, meaning just saying Rovers would be vague! 

I mostly say Blackburn the only Rovers when the conversation occasionally arises in Cornwall

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

You don't come across as a rovers fan mate.  You must be young

How doesn't he come across as a Rovers fan? 

I was brought up in Lytham so everyone knew who Rovers were.

My young lads are growing up in Norfolk, so they need to say Blackburn, so people know who they support. 

We all support the same team regardless of what we call them. We all loved every minute of Saturday afternoon and we all want to have more afternoons like that.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

How doesn't he come across as a Rovers fan? 

I was brought up in Lytham so everyone knew who Rovers were.

My young lads are growing up in Norfolk, so they need to say Blackburn, so people know who they support. 

We all support the same team regardless of what we call them. We all loved every minute of Saturday afternoon and we all want to have more afternoons like that.

He's on a rovers forum, not in the middle of a cotswold pub...its Rovers, simple as that

47 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Just a bit odd you prefer using a less warm term for the club you obviously care a lot about on a forum of Rovers nuts, a term non fans usually use, but that’s up to you.

(Though I suppose not being from the area means it’s just second nature)

I'm not from Blackburn, so I think I'm more naturally succumbed to using the town name within my type and speech.

For anyone wondering, I was born in Wigan. My Dad was a Clitheroe lad and I have been coming to the Rovers since they could fit me into a ROVERS kit as a baby - so I'm not just a "glory" hunter. I've only seen dross in my living memory so there's not much positive to hunt off ;) Although I'm sure Preston fans would still call me plastic...

• Backroom

We've all got better things to worry about fellas, even on here let alone in real life with ACTUAL worries.

We're Blackburn Rovers. If you get upset because someone uses part of our name instead of... erm... part of our name, you won't win a fandom award.

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 2

OK time to come clean

I do say "Blackburn Rovers" when a local Taxi driver asks who I support, which is just about all of those I have a conversation with.

It used to get an "OH Alan Shearer" response, not anymore though. A surprising number know we are suffering and owned by Indians, and are sympathetic (PC correctness rules) :rover:

We Are The Rovers! :brfc:

PS: My Dad was from Blackburn but I was born and lived miles away so I got "Rovers" from the start from Dad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's just plain weird,  I'd find it very strange to type the full town name....

Careful! I heard that celebrity Claret(lol), Livesey, actually bragging on radio that he "couldn't bring himself to say Tony Blackburn's name."

Years ago, I remember reading about the trials of a lowlife Burnley thug, who was called Steven Blackburn- so there us a God!

"Bill, George..anything but Sue.."

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

Being naturally verbose, if I'm abroad and the topic of conversation turns to football and I'm not wearing anything - even a baseball cap - with the club badge on, my answer to the question of which team I support, the 4-word answer's always the same: "The Famous Blackburn Rovers."

Sadly, it's been too long since I could quote the next line: "And we're off to Wemberlee!"

• Like 1

Meanwhile, on another topic connected with last Saturday, am I the only one to wonder if the squad would be going for some warm-weather training if - as many on here expected before 3.00 last Saturday - we'd lost to the Owls??

• Like 2

Whenever I tell people who I support, I usually get some line about Pedersen having been great or "they've had some good players". I've never lived in or around the Blackburn area, so whenever I use Rovers, they usually have to ask whether I mean Blackburn. Saying that, I will use Rovers whenever possible. 

In summary, most football fans find us completely irrelevant nowadays. Especially if you're not in the local area. We're like a bit of nostalgia for them. 

Edited by RoverKyle

• Backroom

Had the posts not mentioned politics, they'd have stayed, I enjoyed them. Forum rules have always been clear re: politics even before the recent tribalistic trend. Now that politics is so divisive, it's even more important it doesn't spread onto here.

Sorry fellas.

• Like 1

Just now, Mike E said:

Had the posts not mentioned politics, they'd have stayed, I enjoyed them. Forum rules have always been clear re: politics even before the recent tribalistic trend. Now that politics is so divisive, it's even more important it doesn't spread onto here.

Sorry fellas

So comments on stories that combine football and politics are off limits ? How about the racism issue in football - that's pretty divisive too ?

Alot of Rovers fans now refer to our six-fingered rivals as the Burnley Tories - is that censored too? 

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So comments on stories that combine football and politics are off limits ? How about the racism issue in football - that's pretty divisive too ?

Alot of Rovers fans now refer to our six-fingered rivals as the Burnley Tories - is that censored too? 

Racism 'in football', discuss away.

Burnley Tories - yes, it will be censored. Thanks for highlighting it, I've not heard it or read it before as a phrase.

Edited by Mike E

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Racism 'in football', discuss away.

Burnley Tories - yes, it will be. Thanks for highlighting it, I've not heard it or read it before as a phrase.

A very heavy-handed approach, Mike. You would have to have had a complete irony by-pass to define any of those posts as political.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 3

• Backroom
Just now, Leonard Venkhater said:

A very heavy-handed approach, Mike. You would have to have had a complete irony by-pass to define any of those posts as political.

Well they mention a political party with little context aside from being an apparent insult based on political belief in a match thread.

Sorry, but it's in the guidelines. As DE mentioned, we'd rather nip it in the bud than let it become precedent and cause arguments that aren't to do with football in a football thread.

• Like 2