BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Sheffield Wednesday (A)

17 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Me too, I thought he left his foot in too long with no attempt to raise it. Actually I still do.

So Travis is a kidder and made a somewhat rash challenge for that ball himself.

My reading live and subsequent viewings was that Luongo simply mistimed his challenge as Travis got there fractionally before him. If anything it was reckless  (yellow card) rather than the serious foul play the referee interpreted it as. The referee actually indicated that Luongo had stamped on Travis. Had there been VAR I think it would have been downgraded to yellow. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

My reading live and subsequent viewings was that Luongo simply mistimed his challenge as Travis got there fractionally before him. If anything it was reckless  (yellow card) rather than the serious foul play the referee interpreted it as. The referee actually indicated that Luongo had stamped on Travis. Had there been VAR I think it would have been downgraded to yellow. 

Yes a yellow would have been enough

40 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Reckless and a yellow card was my view too. No intent to cause injury but no brain to avoid it.

5 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Me too, I thought he left his foot in too long with no attempt to raise it. Actually I still do.

Travis needs to take a good look at himself. It was the rolling around like he was seriously injured that got a fellow pro sent off. Once you get a reputation in the game for being an actor it's hard to shake off. I looked at his sock right away, not a mark on it that I could see. The ref needed to take his time and have a look for himself before whipping out the red card. Like I said earlier, seriously injured players don't roll around like that, an experienced referee should know that.

I can honestly say that most of the time that wouldn't have even been a free kick when I was playing. You got tackles like that all the time. The ref's used their common sense then. Two players going in hard - it's just a coming together - play on lads.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Bit of a suicide pass from Tosin actually who went straight over to apologise to Travis on the ground. Travis is always going to go for that ball but yes his reaction was way OTT. When subbed he got a lot of abuse from the Wednesday fans when sitting on the bench and TM sent him off down the tunnel. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Bit of a suicide pass from Tosin actually who went straight over to apologise to Travis on the ground. Travis is always going to go for that ball but yes his reaction was way OTT. When subbed he got a lot of abuse from the Wednesday fans when sitting on the bench and TM sent him off down the tunnel. 

Yes, Tosin put too much weight on the pass and Travis had to scamper after it. He dived in after the ball and another referee would have penalised  him for that. He got his acting in before the other guy could and the ref fell for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Travis needs to take a good look at himself. It was the rolling around like he was seriously injured that got a fellow pro sent off. Once you get a reputation in the game for being an actor it's hard to shake off. I looked at his sock right away, not a mark on it that I could see. The ref needed to take his time and have a look for himself before whipping out the red card. Like I said earlier, seriously injured players don't roll around like that, an experienced referee should know that.

I can honestly say that most of the time that wouldn't have even been a free kick when I was playing. You got tackles like that all the time. The ref's used their common sense then. Two players going in hard - it's just a coming together - play on lads.

Socks schmocks. In the modern game it’s not just the damage done but the intent. If there was no intent and no damage then fine.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Missed you coming onto the pitch. Clearly it's ref 101 to look at a players socks after a tackle, I mean who needs VAR when you have socks? It's not as if socks could get dirty for any other reason or during any prior incidents.  The ref last week must have missed that module in ref college. 

Seriously though, it was just a wrong call by the ref. As for Travis reaction, players who are far worse have made it to the very top levels of the game. I think it's good we have someone who dabbles in the dark arts. We were a soft touch for far too long. Plus something I think we will both agree on now, every single team is at it these days. Hate to see it, but that's the way it is. 

I agree with the last paragraph in theory, however saying refs used their common sense then perhaps gives them too much credit. The likes of George Best were subjected to numerous attempts at GBH per game. There is a line and we are definitely gone to far the opposite way now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

39 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

Don’t get me wrong, looks very tidy but we were 4-0 up against a thoroughly demoralised 10 men.

I’d certainly want to see more of him though.

Hopefully we are beginning to see the fruits of Johnson’s time developing these lads and his influence now that he is in the first team set up.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, 47er said:

I guess that's the sort of video that persuaded TM to sign Brereton!

However he does look an impressive young player and surely worth a start?

Could well have a decent winger in our own ranks!

Maybe our marketing team can put together a montage of Brereton’s best moments!