QPR (H) - Tuesday 28th Jan

6 hours ago, Fraserkirky said:

————-Walton—————-

Nyambe Tosin Lenihan Bell

—————Travis————-

———Holtby—-Downing—--

JRC———————Armstrong

————Gallagher————

Bit harsh on Rothwell but I’d go with this.

Holtby and Armstrong have shown signs of real promise playing one off the other as our front 2 in the last 2 games, with the former getting 2 goals and the latter getting 1 goal and 2 assists. No need to move them both into different positions and change the formation. 

Agree with @roversfan99 entirely that you can't break up that Armstrong/Holtby partnership, especially by moving their positions around. For me personally I'd look to play Arma through the middle, and I'd sooner see Joe R-C play ahead of Gallagher in a wide position. 

I'd go for this I reckon.

1334884071_MYTEAMFORQPRGAME.thumb.png.d26dd3e2b3419d7858ad75c30fe9957c.png

3 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I can't imagine JRC will be starting games anytime soon, no matter what Mowbray says.

I think we'll start to see plenty of substitute cameo's from him though, with maybe a few starts towards the end of the season.

You're right, but it's a shame.

Birmingham had 15-year old in their academy, he plays once for the first team (LITERALLY ONCE) and they never looked back. Now 16, he's set to move to Manchester United for a £30m transfer fee. JRC, besides his injuries, was ready at the start of the League One campaign for these "sub appearances", it's why he featured so heavily in pre-season that year. Played well at Barrow. Injuries have set him back, but we can't make the mistakes we made with Connor Mahoney. Give that lad 10 games in the first team and he'll be exactly where Travis is now in 6-months time. 

We won't. It's a shame.

58 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Agree with @roversfan99 entirely that you can't break up that Armstrong/Holtby partnership, especially by moving their positions around. For me personally I'd look to play Arma through the middle, and I'd sooner see Joe R-C play ahead of Gallagher in a wide position. 

I'd go for this I reckon.

1334884071_MYTEAMFORQPRGAME.thumb.png.d26dd3e2b3419d7858ad75c30fe9957c.png

Totally agree with your team, barring reinforcements. Gallagher is never a winger.

I dont agree that JRC in comparison to Bellingham or Travis, it would be unlikely that he could come in and have that sort of impact, the former is clearly a special talent and Travis has really done well to have the trajectory in the space of a year. Its down to the individual, each case will be different.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Totally agree with your team, barring reinforcements. Gallagher is never a winger.

I dont agree that JRC in comparison to Bellingham or Travis, it would be unlikely that he could come in and have that sort of impact, the former is clearly a special talent and Travis has really done well to have the trajectory in the space of a year. Its down to the individual, each case will be different.

The scope for a player like JRC is massive compared to Lewis Travis. IMO.

We're not going Down. We're unlikely to go up, barring a spectacular run of form. So it's the perfect time to start playing promising academy players, like JRC, in not particularly important positions. We have nothing to lose by playing someone who is potentially 1st team quality on the right wing and everything to gain if he delivers.

It's what we should have done with Chapman and Mahoney. Let's not fuck up thrice in the same position.

Same goes for the likes of Buckley. We're in a relatively middling position, give these younglings a proper chance in the first team and potentially save (or even make..) a few million in transfer fees and wages and build the next generation of 1st teamers.

• Like 4

I'd certainly get Feb out the way first get as many points on board as possible then see where we are at.  Sadly i think the keep all the old pros and favs happy and the chase to finish as near as they can to last year will dictate.

We had similar under Bowyer when a season was petering out and the opportunity was there but he didn't take it. Self preservation will rule but personally March onwards i'd blood as many as possible. So maybe we'll finish a few places below last season but so what i doubt it makes much difference in prize money.  Getting some more youth involved is surely better for the bigger picture.

All depends how the next month goes though.

I can't believe some are almost writing off our season already! Yes I agree it's unlikely we'll reach the playoffs, but we're just as likely as 6-8 other teams to put a decent run together so we absolutely start with our strongest team game after game (which may change due to tactics, form, volume of games or injuries) until it becomes nigh on impossible to reach the playoffs. 

Then we can blood youngsters with an eye on next season. Otherwise, let's just have a couple on the bench and bring them on when we're comfortable (a la Sheff Wed).

The obvious ones being JRC, Buckley & Davenport. 

• Like 2

• Backroom

I'm certainly not writing off the season at this point as thanks to the division being incredibly inconsistent we are still very much in the mix. However realistically I'm not anticipating a top six finish because we are one of those inconsistent teams who goes on very good and then very bad runs of form. Until we stop doing that (and there's no evidence of that issue being solved this season) we most likely aren't going to get into the playoffs. There's obviously also the fact that under Mowbray we're yet to get into the top six even momentarily. Even under Bowyer we only managed about three hours in 6th briefly. Breaking into the top six, even if only temporarily, and stopping a bad run of form before the rot really sets in will be indications to me that we might be ready to make a genuine challenge. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
28 minutes ago, DE. said:

Even under Bowyer we only managed about three hours in 6th briefly.  

What a few hours that was though right?!

My beer tasted sweeter, the air was fresher, the sun was shining, I had a skip in my step.

I remember all the hopes and dreams I had during that time. 

Oh to return to those halcyon days.....

• Like 7

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Silas said:

What a few hours that was though right?!

My beer tasted sweeter, the air was fresher, the sun was shining, I had a skip in my step.

I remember all the hopes and dreams I had during that time. 

Oh to return to those halcyon days.....

The nostalgia brings a warm feeling to my chest. Good memories all around. The peak of the Venky era, no doubt.

• Like 1

• Backroom
23 minutes ago, DE. said:

The peak of the Venky era, no doubt.

10 whole years FFS.

Champions League, Ronaldinho,  Beckham. 

Talk about smashing your targets. ?

Sad thing is I'm not even taking the piss. Genuinely remember watching the live league table and loving it, and then watching the other teams jump above one by one.

Which begs the question,  who's the biggest clown in all this, them or me. ?

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
8 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

this qpr lot won`t fancy a trip a midweek trip up north,i think we`ll take them apart with laser like precision,the question is,will tony keep an unchanged team and who will have picked up a mysterious  "knock" in portugal  in order to reinstate captain not so  fantastic bennett

I like to think, he’s learnt his lesson with this. 
The way others the he could contend with are playing, there’s no way Bennett can start. 
(That’s not to say he won’t get some token minutes from the bench, of course). 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm certainly not writing off the season at this point as thanks to the division being incredibly inconsistent we are still very much in the mix. However realistically I'm not anticipating a top six finish because we are one of those inconsistent teams who goes on very good and then very bad runs of form. Until we stop doing that (and there's no evidence of that issue being solved this season) we most likely aren't going to get into the playoffs. There's obviously also the fact that under Mowbray we're yet to get into the top six even momentarily. Even under Bowyer we only managed about three hours in 6th briefly. Breaking into the top six, even if only temporarily, and stopping a bad run of form before the rot really sets in will be indications to me that we might be ready to make a genuine challenge. 

It's the last 10 games that will count in this league.

Effectively treading water till then will keep you in the mix at present. A few teams are gonna go on a run, it's not likely to be us but we can always live in hope.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Effectively treading water till then will keep you in the mix at present. A few teams are gonna go on a run, it's not likely to be us but we can always live in hope.

Inclined to agree. In my heart of hearts I don't believe it will be us, but I get confidence looking at the fixtures which look quite kind for us. Brentford away scares me, that aside we can accumulate a lot of points if we're consistently near what we can do.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

For sure, it's the hope that kills you.