Sign in to follow this  
Montyburns

Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Montyburns said:

Are you worried? Is it any worse than normal flu? Are the Chinese covering something up? 

It seems that those most at risk are those that are at risk from cases of severe flu, obviously if left untreated it could pose a massive threat to a lot more people than that group. The frightening thing in this day and age is the rate of spread all over the world, more so in this case with an increase in travel in and out of China due to the Chinese New Year.

Would not put it past the Chinese Government to play down the numbers or cover up the cause of the outbreak. I would guess though accidental leak /infection , anything more sinister involving the Chinese Government I would have expected the center of the outbreak  to be Hong Kong.

I have read that the area mainly affected is earthquake prone ,and a bio security lab in the vicinity that was the only one in the China suitable for working on finding a cure for the coronavirus strain. https://www.livescience.com/china-lab-meets-biosafety-levels-new-coronavirus.html

Quite impressive that they can build a hospital in seven days though, here that is the time scale for getting the kettle on for the first on-site brew after the kettle as passed H&S inspection.

Edited by perthblue02

Taking them at least 3 weeks to repair Edisford Bridge here! As for the virus, of course we should be concerned because viruses develop and change, so while its not that dangerous yet to most people apparently, it can become much stronger and likely to kill. I have family in South Korea, which has a fair sized Chinese population and they will have been celebrating Chinese new year so travelling. I find that worrying

As long as it's nowt to do with the overpriced Spanish lager served in my local, I'm happy.

I'll place it into the SARS, Bird Blu, Swine Flu, etc category until further notice. A few weeks of hysterical reporting before it fizzles out.

SARS and MERS were/are hard to catch but were/are unusually aggressive with about 20% of cases fatal and young healthy people particularly vulnerable.

Coronavirus has a long incubation period and mild cases are not obvious to the carrier. It appears to be easily transmitted. For people vulnerable to any form of flu 9respiratory disease and elderly), it is dangerous.

Probably already 100,000 to 200,000 carriers worldwide and the disruption of Hubei Province in China where it originated is massive. Quite possible that efforts to restrict spread are likely to cause a lot of economic damage everywhere.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

As long as it's nowt to do with the overpriced Spanish lager served in my local, I'm happy.

Mexicano.jpg.6a1055f16f047118f0088bf313e7cd17.jpg

Tory policy - bring back the infected to try and kill off all the sick and elderly?

NHS and Social Care Crisis solved?

Foreign Affairs (paywalled) short abstract

When the first reports of a coronavirus outbreak hit the airwaves in early January, several dozen people had already caught the disease in or around the Chinese city of Wuhan. In the weeks since, the virus, nCoV, has spread quickly and the number of infections has grown by the day, even as Wuhan and other Chinese cities isolated large numbers of patients and quarantined some 50 million residents. At the latest count (as of Friday morning), there have been 213 deaths in China out of a total of 9,776 confirmed cases, and the virus has spread to more than 20 countries. On Thursday, the World Health Organization (WHO) declared the disease a “Public Health Emergency of International Concern.”

The epidemic is still in its early days, and its defining characteristics will take time to understand. The scale of nCoV’s ultimate impact will depend on just how contagious it reveals itself to be and how lethal it is in those who fall ill—properties that cannot be precisely determined at this stage. The efforts underway to contain the disease in China and elsewhere could prove effective in the weeks ahead, and they should be fully supported. Yet there is a clear possibility that nCoV may not be contained in time to prevent a large global outbreak. Countries should start preparing for that prospect now. 

KNOWNS AND UNKNOWNS

Assessing the risks of nCoV will require data and time. Among the most crucial indicators in any epidemic is the fatality rate: the share of the infected who die from the disease. The statistics on diagnosed nCoV cases available as of today would suggest a fatality rate of around two percent. (For comparison, SARS, or severe acute respiratory syndrome, had a fatality rate of 10 percent when it broke out in 2002 and 2003, while seasonal flu has a fatality rate of about 0.01 percent.) But that fatality rate will change. At the start of a new outbreak, the most serious cases of illness and death are the easiest to spot and are thus recorded first. As more cases come to light, including many milder ones, the fatality rate is likely to go down, perhaps substantially. In an optimistic scenario, nCoV will have a lethality closer to seasonal flu than to SARS—but it is too early to know. As of now, older adults appear to be most at risk, with very few recognized cases in children. 

As some of you know I have extensive connections in China. I have a family from China staying here in Malta and have no idea when they might go back! 

In effect the annual New Year/Spring Holiday is being extended by one or two weeks and the country is increasingly in shut down. 

Offices, schools and Universities are all compulsorily closed until 10th or 17th February. Inter city buses are cancelled and nobody is allowed on public transport without a face mask. Most foreign airlines have cancelled all flights to China.

Buying of foodstuffs has emptied shops and supermarkets. Police road blocks are everywhere and many communities are self-quarantining. Anyone with any sort of cough is a pariah and their families are in agonies of worry.

Quite a lot of anger exists towards Government and official communication is universally mistrusted. Consequently wild rumours are circulating rapidly on WeChat.

I don't know if this is true but stories are circulating that the medical officials and doctors who first raised the alarm in Wuhan got arrested and their reports removed for being anti-social. 

Irrespective, this is a political crisis as well as a health crisis. The societal flexibility which allowed people a degree of freedom to react and organise when SARS and MERS struck 8 years ago have been swept away by the totalitarian Xi Jinping. No idea how this is going to play out but compulsory face masks make facial recognition no use as the Hong Kong authorities found out in the unrest there...

"No idea how this is going to play out but compulsory face masks make facial recognition no use as the Hong Kong authorities found out in the unrest there."

I'm in Vietnam at present and it's interesting to see face masks being handed out as we board public transport. I'm also interested by the significant numbers wearing masks, especially those who then lower the mask to speak to you.

It is utterly pointless to rely on these masks which without proper use and disposal are themselves a breeding ground for infection.

The other issue is face masks distract people from practicing good basic hygiene. Hand washing, wiping surfaces touched by others etc. The guy next to me on our last flight sneezed on the video touch screen and then spent ours using it. A face mask really helps!!!!

Good basic hygiene will protect one from numerous potential health issues. A face mask does bugger all.

Wash your hands and cough/sneeze into your elbows. Easy peasy.

No but I'm meeting my daughter in law from Korea tomorrow so my chances of contracting it may rise.

Strong rumours that the virus is in Blackburn and isolation pods being set up perhaps at Burnley Royal. My Sister won't go the hospital and has been told by a friend who's a nurse she's keeping kids off school.

If the diagnosis is right looks like media are covering it up. Or sums up how rubbish the LT is.

For someone so paranoid I get irritated sometimes by people being over paranoid. Think it's right to inform people who might go up to the hospital though.

Edited by Vinjay

What's to stop a 'terrorist' spreading this like wildfire?

NOTHING!

Meanwhile The cowardly PM will be hiding in his nuclear bunker.

1 hour ago, Husky said:

NOTHING!

Someone would have to. Continuation of government check out Whitehall's plans for nuclear war in early 80's. Anyway local media still not commenting though a couple people on Twitter are asking. People are entitled to know whether to avoid the hospital unless it's important enough. My sister was gonna go today and just called a doctor instead. Plus her friend who's a teacher keeping kids off school because she spoke to a nurse at the hospital who's said there's a definite case. I know that seems second hand info but my sister is no liar. Certainly not to me. 

1 hour ago, Husky said:

NOTHING!

We were on holiday in East Fife years ago. One of the tourist attractions was the nuclear bunker for Scotland.  It looked from the outside like little farm house in the middle of nowhere.  Underneath that was a large complex of rooms, conference area, dormitories, telephone exchange, hospital etc. Really spooky. In the generator house there was an overhead crane installed by a Rochdale company I used to work for ! That felt really strange.

I wonder if they're getting ready to re vamp that nowadays.

Still ignoring questions (East Lancs NHS Trust yet more irony for the word trust on here) and not just from me. I know cover ups when I "see" them. Whether it's bad football owners or the government. I'm not worried about myself (not going up there) but people who are visiting or have conditions should know! This isn't China.

Edited by Vinjay

Just now, gumboots said:

There was a nuclear bunker underneath the Grand in Clitheroe

Wonder if the Walkers have one. 🙄

To be honest it would probably take nuclear war to get them off my mind! Though when I die hopefully my final words are an insult about them.

Edited by Vinjay

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

We were on holiday in East Fife years ago. One of the tourist attractions was the nuclear bunker for Scotland.  It looked from the outside like little farm house in the middle of nowhere.  Underneath that was a large complex of rooms, conference area, dormitories, telephone exchange, hospital etc. Really spooky. In the generator house there was an overhead crane installed by a Rochdale company I used to work for ! That felt really strange.

I wonder if they're getting ready to re vamp that nowadays.

Yes if it wasn't for the brown 'visitor attraction' signs you would never know that The Secret Bunker existed. Lovely part of the world, the east neuk of Fife. Like stepping back in time.