1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

The cabinet minister then handed over the question to the coordinator of the national testing effort, Professor John Newton. He said: ‘There’s been no change to the way tests are counted. As we develop new ways of delivering tests, we’ve taken advice from officials as to how they should be counted. ‘So the tests are done within the control of the program, which is the great majority are counted when the tests are undertaken in our laboratories. ‘But for any test that goes outside the control of the program, they’re counted when they leave the program. So that’s the tests that are mailed out to people at home and the tests that go out in the satellite. So that’s the way they are counted, have always been counted and the way we were advised to count them by officials.’

Why you keep repeating this when the head of testing Prof John Newton has told the public they have count the test the same way from  Day 1. Are you going to accept this or not?

Taken advise from officials I.e. "can we count the ones mailed out to bump our numbers up?" 

Fair enough if they've always been counted this way but that just means they've always been feeding us misleading information. If it was anything other than political spin they would be telling us number of completed tests only. 

Tell me what value do you get from knowing how many were mailed out rather than how many were completed?

21 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Taken advise from officials I.e. "can we count the ones mailed out to bump our numbers up?" 

Fair enough if they've always been counted this way but that just means they've always been feeding us misleading information. If it was anything other than political spin they would be telling us number of completed tests only. 

Tell me what value do you get from knowing how many were mailed out rather than how many were completed?

It wasn't always counted that way from the start otherwise there wouldnt have been so much fuss when it was revealed. Chaddy previously tried to argue it was test capacity not tests done too, so I wouldn't put too much stock by his protestations 

1 hour ago, Claytons Left Boot said:

It will be interesting to see what it’s like on public transport, especially wef Wednesday and more importantly in London. It would be problematic if folk were forced to stand on the trains and tube network as is normally the case. You would hope that each commuter would get a seat with a certain amount of social distancing and at that point, the doors would be shut. Will that happen though?

I don't know if there has actually been any real planning for reopening transport at anything approaching the volume required to "get back to work".

At the moment tube usuage is running at 5% of normal. Even if we get up to only 20% I think it would make social distancing impossible.

To be honest the government advice seems a bit reckless. Are people going to get fired of they refuse to go to work because they won't use public transport? .

Recognise we need to get working again but I think it needs a bit more of a plan than we have seen?

So, to be clear, we can be 2 meters from hundreds of people on the park - as long as we only know one of them?

1 minute ago, den said:

So, to be clear, we can be 2 meters from hundreds of people on the park - as long as we only know one of them?

I think its about tracing ....keeping it easy to keep tabs on it.

At the end of the day we've been cut some slack and allowed to meet up with one person. I certainly never thought that would be this month. It bugs me a little that people are trying to twist it and find a loophole "so if I meet up with my dad and my mum just happens to be walking by at the same time" 

Plus you're more likely to keep a bigger distance from a stranger and only be near them for a small amount of time than if it were someone you met up with

9 hours ago, only2garners said:

Gav - the advice for people coming into the UK has only ever been from certain specific locations. It was for China and Italy and certain cities in South Korea, maybe one or two others. We came back from new Zealand on 18th March via transit in South Korea and did not have to self isolate.

I know I've posted this at least once but I'll do it again. WHO advice on mandatory quarantining is and always has been that it's a waste of time and resources when the virus is already passing in between people in the country. It's very worthwhile doing before this happens i.e. in January in our case and again when the rate of infection significantly drops as, hopefully it will by the end of the month. I know to the layman (like me) it seems a bit counter-intuitive but that's science for you.

Anyway, I've been out on my bike again this morning and luckily thanks to Johnson's advice I was being alert and I managed to swerve to avoid the virus when it was sneaking up on me. Close call, that.

Self-isolation is not the same as quarantine anyway. Less effective but cheaper.

Posted (edited)

Elon Musk is coming out of this smelling rather...musky. He’s being a brainless child about it. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Gove is Murdoch's choice to replace Johnson. Can't stand him personally but he does have some grasp of detail unlike the PM. I thought May's cabinet was the worst I'd seen in my lifetime but this one is infinitely worse. 

All about Brexit wasn't it?

10 minutes ago, 47er said:

All about Brexit wasn't it?

I voted tory to get Brexit sorted in my favour, and naturally I do usually agree with them more than I do labour, lib dems,  etc.

However, this shambles and people like Shapps, Eustace, Hancock,  Patel are certainly not my cup of tea.......dare I say it, I like the cut of Starmers jib,  a real improvement on Corbyn etc.

Below are some poll on the government's response and performance during this coronavirus 

Screenshot_20200512-005040_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-005116_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20200512-005127_Drive.jpg

The current worst countries for deaths per million from Covid based on each Government's own statistics:

1. Sweden

2. UK

3. USA

image.png.9a4498d4eed0089dce6db7ce2be967f4.png

https://t.co/2mafIMJtS5?amp=1

NEW: A review of studies by public health experts convened by WHO found that smokers are more likely than non-smokers to develop severe disease with #COVID19, contradicting recent suggestions that nicotine may have some sort of protective function.
7:24 PM · May 11, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Q: Which private firm was awarded the £133m contract to conduct Covid-19 testing?

A: Randox, which employs the prominent Conservative politician Owen Paterson as a paid consultant.

PS: No other companies were given the opportunity to bid.

It is worth emphasising when people say they are "following scientific advice" that Scientists themselves disagree. In fact if scientists didn't disagree, nobody would ever make a scientific discovery!

There are two independent groups of scientists actively examining the Government's record.

One group led by Professor Costello writes (and couldn't be more damning):

Anthony Costello

Tomorrow we launch our Independent Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies Report. We make 18 recommendations to the government to help the UK suppress the virus, save lives and get the economy moving again. (1) 

The UK Government's COVID-19 Recovery Plan Report 'Our Plan to Rebuild' released today will not ensure the suppression of the epidemic. Find, test, trace and isolate is crucial to success. Yet four months on, the government plans remain misguided and over-centralised.(2) 

WHO ask that "governments refocus the whole of government on suppression and containing COVID-19". There is no refocus or commitment except to manage the spread. This is 'herd immunity' and 'take it on the chin'. (3) 

WHO ask for government to commit to evidence that shows that COVID-19 transmission is controlled. We are still seeing 20,000 cases per day with up to 400,000 contacts each day. (4) 

WHO ask that 'sufficient public health+health system capacities are in place to identify, isolate, test and treat all cases, and to trace and quarantine contacts.' Nothing is joined up. Tests by Deloitte, tracing by SERCO. Nothing linked to primary care or local public health (5) 

The Government has appointed Baroness Harding to lead the COVID-19 Test and Trace Taskforce, ex-CEO of Talk Talk when 4 million people had bank details accessed by fraudsters. When asked if the data was encrypted or not, she said: "The awful truth is that I don’t know." (6) 

Report says "Outbreaks amongst the socially excluded - whether through poverty or homelessness - are likely to be especially difficult to detect and harmful, since people in these groups may lack the means to isolate themselves when ill. " Solution? NONE. (7) 

WHO asks that 'Preventive measures are established in workplaces, with physical distancing, hand washing facilities and respiratory etiquette in place, and potentially thermal monitoring.' No government guidelines. (8) 

WHO asks that 'Outbreak risks are minimised in high vulnerability settings, such as long-term care facilities (i.e. nursing homes, rehabilitative and mental health centres) and congregate settings.' This isn't happening. (9) 

"The Government is providing widespread, swift testing of all symptomatic care home residents, and all patients discharged from hospital before going into care homes." This is not what we're hearing from the frontline. (10) 

WHO asks for "Communities have a voice, are informed, engaged and participatory in the transition." Nothing. No engagement. A strategy that is so top-down, Scotland, Wales and N Ireland weren't even informed. (11) 

In short, the government plans will lead to the epidemic returning early, cases rising, further preventable deaths, and no guarantee that herd immunity will ever occur. This is compounding the disastrous policy of March 12. (12) 

Apparently the plan was not approved by the chief scientific advisor and chief medical officer. We need them to confirm one way or another. This strategy will do harm. They should not endorse it. Primum non nocere. (13) 

There is still time to implement our recommendations. We look forward to the government's response. (14) 

Sir David King debunks Johnson.

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I voted tory to get Brexit sorted in my favour, and naturally I do usually agree with them more than I do labour, lib dems,  etc.

However, this shambles and people like Shapps, Eustace, Hancock,  Patel are certainly not my cup of tea.......dare I say it, I like the cut of Starmers jib,  a real improvement on Corbyn etc.

Most Conservative voters I know feel very similar. I like him just because he goes for detail and that's a leader I can trust.

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Q: Which private firm was awarded the £133m contract to conduct Covid-19 testing?

A: Randox, which employs the prominent Conservative politician Owen Paterson as a paid consultant.

PS: No other companies were given the opportunity to bid.

I'm glad we're not following public sector procurement rules as of we were we'd likely still be doing 10 tests a day. 

That said, when the dust settles it'll be interesting to see how much we've been taken for a ride by private firms given that in normal times the public sector is useless at driving value for money out of contracts. 

44 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

I'm glad we're not following public sector procurement rules as of we were we'd likely still be doing 10 tests a day. 

That said, when the dust settles it'll be interesting to see how much we've been taken for a ride by private firms given that in normal times the public sector is useless at driving value for money out of contracts. 

Certain absolutely essential parts of Government are following those rules. Why do you think the UK has been so slow to sort out its PPE mess?

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The last 4 years prove that? 

You have to treat people like adults and trust them to follow these simple rules. We live a democratic country. The vast majority of people have followed the lockdown rules from 23rd March very well and adhere to them. 

The messaging up to now has been relatively clear. Whether we agree with it or not, ‘stay at home’ is not open to ambiguity. 

The messaging now is all over the place. ‘Stay Alert’ (?). To an invisible virus?

You can’t expect the public to figure it out for themselves. People can now justify seeing multiple members of their family and friendship groups, travel to beauty spots and go outside for as long as they want. Expecting people to self-police social distancing is incredibly naive. 

12 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

The last 4 years prove that? 

You have to treat people like adults and trust them to follow these simple rules. We live a democratic country. The vast majority of people have followed the lockdown rules from 23rd March very well and adhere to them. 

Yes, the people of this country are very capable....

Resized_facebook_1589129805712_6665293500617552259_286182050170882.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

To be fair he was social distancing and stayed alert while he manipulated the creme eggs.

40 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It's this kind of patronising that doesn't help the left , seen loads of my friends sharing things like this on Facebook. And then they wonder why people don't vote left 

And I say that as someone who has always voted left of centre.

23 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's this kind of patronising that doesn't help the left , seen loads of my friends sharing things like this on Facebook. And then they wonder why people don't vote left 

And I say that as someone who has always voted left of centre.

I might be being thick but I don't understand your point about the left.