29 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

Looks like the heat has got to the UK government.

Opening schools on June 1st is too early. I understand why people want to but why do it so early? 

Schools where I live shut in March, 2 weeks later the governor announced that they were done for the rest of the school year. There was hardly a peep out of anyone contesting it either.

The 2 week enforced quarantine when entering the country is as daft as it gets. Folk coming into Britain aren't spreading it, it's been around for months. Absolute shambles of a decision.

In devil's advocate mode I suppose the earlier you can get children back to school the better. And if you're going to persist with a policy whereby you can't see members of your family from a different household I guess that without the schools re-opening most of the population would be able to return to work.

I agree about the airports, it does seem to be a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted. Not only bolted, done several laps round Aintree and lifted the Grand National.

More embarrassment for this benighted government ...... Mirror running story that Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown. 

52 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Indeed he did Chaddy, but two months earlier he stated 'Our aim is to try to reduce the peak, broaden the peak, not suppress it completely; also, because the vast majority of people get a mild illness, to build up some kind of herd immunity so more people are immune to this disease.' Then what happened in the next few weeks certainly looked like herd immunity, no shutting down of airports, no mass testing, large gatherings taking place, no social distancing etc. It wasn't until the Imperial report that things started to change, however by then it was too late as the virus had started to spread out of control. 

Vallance's comments that you talk about come 2 months after his original comments, by which point the original strategy that he talked about had proven to be a complete failure. So one may conclude that he was trying to cover his tracks and preserve his reputation

Yes I know he did on the 5th May where he explained that comments.  I watched it live and provided updates on here on the 5th. 

why keep going over the same thing day after day? 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I know he did on the 5th May where he explained that comments.  I watched it live and provided updates on here on the 5th. 

why keep going over the same thing day after day? 

.......because you're ignoring the point being made every single time ??

1 hour ago, den said:

and Jenny Harries said the U.K. stopped testing in March because it wasn’t appropriate.

and look at the link I provided 6 hours ago as this explained why Testing stopped in March. 

2 hours ago, den said:

So Priti Patel says people coming into the country from 8th June will have to quarantine for 14 days. Not now but in two weeks time. This extra nail into the travel industry and especially the airlines coming into effect when the rest of Europe is opening up. 

The first review of this will be at the end of June. We are months behind the rest of Europe and the cost in lives and to the economy by the Government’s refusal to lock down earlier is immense IMO.

Why would anyone want to be travelling overseas this time when the Coronavirus is worldwide? 

40 minutes ago, den said:

This is a shock. Loved travelling to rovers away games with them. 

It's a shock if you have any emotional attachment to the Company but it isn't a shock in terms of being a surprise.

That's what happens when you needlessly shut down the economy. I don't suppose they'll be the last by any means either.

28 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

More embarrassment for this benighted government ...... Mirror running story that Dominic Cummings broke the lockdown. 

Hardly any more embarrassing than the fact that the bloke who saddled us all with lockdown Professor Neil Ferguson flouted it to see his mistress therefore obviously didn't really believe in it in the first place.

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It's a shock if you have any emotional attachment to the Company but it isn't a shock in terms of being a surprise.

That's what happens when you needlessly shut down the economy. I don't suppose they'll be the last by any means either.

Not really needlessly, it was done to prevent the spread of the virus that has killed loads of people.

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

Not really needlessly, it was done to prevent the spread of the virus that has killed loads of people.

It is if the same result could have been achieved by a targeted lockdown of the vulnerable and elderly.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Hardly any more embarrassing than the fact that the bloke who saddled us all with lockdown Professor Neil Ferguson flouted it to see his mistress therefore obviously didn't really believe in it in the first place.

Yes, but this twerp is right in the heart of No 10, he drives government policy and is Johnson's effective right hand man - Johnson does and says very little without his say-so. It's just another huge red face for the government ....... along with many others. 

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

It is if the same result could have been achieved by a targeted lockdown of the vulnerable and elderly.

I’ve no idea tbh, I’m just a moderator on here, not a decision maker. I’d rather we were too careful than not careful enough to be honest.

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and look at the link I provided 6 hours ago as this explained why Testing stopped in March. 

But like with Patrick Vallance and his herd immunity comments, it depends on which comments about testing you believe. In March Jenny Harries said testing stopped because 'it was not an appropriate mechanism'. However 6 weeks later she said that testing stopped because we didn't have the capacity. Which are we to believe?  That is the problem with these scientists and medical people advising the government, they are just like the members of the government when it comes to self preservation.

Conservative MP in my area had a pop on Facebook at schools who may not open and parents who may not send kids back. He's getting a good kicking with legitimate concerns and one of his responses are that schools arent being asked to socially distance. Its staggering the people who get to become MPs and earn what they earn. 

Only because theres been a couple of mentions of it — I’ve had a test, I had it at 13:30 on Friday 15th at Preston College at a Drive-Thru after being in close contact for a decent period of time with someone who had spent an afternoon in Burnley A&E. I’m entitled to a test because of the industry I work in. I got a negative result back via text at 22:30 the following day. 
I’ve called the Government out plenty of times during this crisis, but arranging a test — booked on Wednesday, test on Friday, plenty of time options — was extremely simple and easy to do. The Drive-Thru itself seemed to be ran by the Army, it was very simple and felt very safe, car windows up at all times and communicating by calling attendants mobile numbers. Doing a self test is tough, you have to rub your tonsils with a swab for 15 seconds then put the same swab 2 inches up your nostril for 10 seconds. Neither of which are enjoyable but the test explains exactly how to do it. 
Basically, the Drive-Thru I went to was very good, easy to arrange and quick to get a result back. 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Only because theres been a couple of mentions of it — I’ve had a test, I had it at 13:30 on Friday 15th at Preston College at a Drive-Thru after being in close contact for a decent period of time with someone who had spent an afternoon in Burnley A&E. I’m entitled to a test because of the industry I work in. I got a negative result back via text at 22:30 the following day. 
I’ve called the Government out plenty of times during this crisis, but arranging a test — booked on Wednesday, test on Friday, plenty of time options — was extremely simple and easy to do. The Drive-Thru itself seemed to be ran by the Army, it was very simple and felt very safe, car windows up at all times and communicating by calling attendants mobile numbers. Doing a self test is tough, you have to rub your tonsils with a swab for 15 seconds then put the same swab 2 inches up your nostril for 10 seconds. Neither of which are enjoyable but the test explains exactly how to do it. 
Basically, the Drive-Thru I went to was very good, easy to arrange and quick to get a result back. 

My Mum and few friends who are care workers went Preston test centre weeks ago. 

Your post above is exactly how my mum described it to me about the test centre. She said it took around 30 mins from entering to exiting. 

Pleased for you it was negative result Josh. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

10 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Can we all set up our own independent SAGE committees now? I must have missed the memo. Talk about taking it upon yourselves.

I have just set up an independent Parliament amid concerns over the lack of transparency surrounding ours. I'll host regular PMQs on our Independent Parliament Youtube channel (sponsored by mumsnet and Birdseye) and please follow my Twitter @ThisIsn'tForMyOwnEsteemIPromise.

We may or may not hold regular elections as there's no due process for election into our Independent Parliament until someone sets up an Independent Electoral Commission.

Yeah but you're not qualified. The point is that these are scientists and there is no such thing in this case as "The science"

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

"if"

4 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

II agree about the airports, it does seem to be a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted. Not only bolted, done several laps round Aintree and lifted the Grand National.

Shutting the stable doors three months after the horse has bolted!

The absurdity of it is that people arriving in the UK have a much lower probability of being infected with Covid-19 than the general British population, meaning 14 days of self-isolation is more likely to keep them safe from us, than it is to keep us safe from them!

We really do live in a ludicrous country, with a ludicrous government responsible for a the most calamitous coronavirus response in Europe, and the worst in the world outside of the United States.

Interesting development in wakefield where it seems patient records have been doctored to get care homes to take them.  Changing positive to negative on the form. Luckily the care home in question had a robust gatekeeper but how many have they done across the country?  

It might answer why so many deaths in the care sector. Looks like Hancocks instructions where , get them out of hospital no matter what.....

Edited by Sparks Rover

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Taxi for Cummings.

You want him to go to Durham again?

There is absolutely no reason why the UK could not have had the same covid 19 outcome as New Zealand.

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Taxi for Cummings.

I'll play theorist on this one.

The story was leaked on purpose to increase the pressure on those against schools/business/life opening up again.

The reasoning is that is Cummings broke quarantine whilst having the virus and nobody else around him got it so let's open up.

If it is legit and it is as simple as Cummings doing what he wasn't supposed to it will reinforce the idea that there is one rule for the have's and one for the rest. Twas always thus, but seeing it out in the open is never nice.