6 hours ago, philipl said:

There is absolutely no reason why the UK could not have had the same covid 19 outcome as New Zealand.

Even if you take our inept government out of the equation that’s nonsense 

11 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It is if the same result could have been achieved by a targeted lockdown of the vulnerable and elderly.

Absolutely . It’s had no significant effect on anyone but the old and vulnerable 

9 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Even if you take our inept government out of the equation that’s nonsense 

Why?

Both UK and New Zealand economies are 60% dependent on foreign trade.

Edited by philipl

6 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'll play theorist on this one.

The story was leaked on purpose to increase the pressure on those against schools/business/life opening up again.

The reasoning is that is Cummings broke quarantine whilst having the virus and nobody else around him got it so let's open up.

If it is legit and it is as simple as Cummings doing what he wasn't supposed to it will reinforce the idea that there is one rule for the have's and one for the rest. Twas always thus, but seeing it out in the open is never nice.

Far-fetched----I'll go for the simple explanation--- Being arrogant to the point of narcissism he broke or bent the rules, assuming he wouldn't get found out.

12 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

It is if the same result could have been achieved by a targeted lockdown of the vulnerable and elderly.

Theres a lot of mileage in this argument. I've said before that me being in lockdown is not for my benefit. It's for the benefit of the old and vulnerable who I still wouldnt come into contact with if there was a targeted lockdown. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Far-fetched----I'll go for the simple explanation--- Being arrogant to the point of narcissism he broke or bent the rules, assuming he wouldn't get found out.

They think the rules are for the likes of us, for people like Cummings the rules are optional.

Downing St says Dominic Cummings' actions "were in line with coronavirus guidelines" after an apparent breach of lockdown measures

sky news.

Cummings is the personification of the destruction of Britain

Self-entitled elite who criticises the elite.

Assumption he is beyond the law and any moral or ethical compass.

Will never have thought of the misery of millions obediently not seeing family loved-ones

Didn't in the final analysis give a toss about the risk of infecting his own parents

Thinks using the BBC to get his wife to use a neutral slot will get him off the hook

Failing that there is always Tory Laura to spread some shade

Knows Johnson has the morals of a sewer rat so doesn't even consider it would be a firing offence.

37 minutes ago, den said:

Downing St says Dominic Cummings' actions "were in line with coronavirus guidelines" after an apparent breach of lockdown measures

sky news.

Adds fuel to speeeeeddddieeeee theory 

54 minutes ago, philipl said:

Cummings is the personification of the destruction of Britain

Self-entitled elite who criticises the elite.

Assumption he is beyond the law and any moral or ethical compass.

Will never have thought of the misery of millions obediently not seeing family loved-ones

Didn't in the final analysis give a toss about the risk of infecting his own parents

Thinks using the BBC to get his wife to use a neutral slot will get him off the hook

Failing that there is always Tory Laura to spread some shade

Knows Johnson has the morals of a sewer rat so doesn't even consider it would be a firing offence.

He didn’t meet his parents did he? It was a separate house that he, his wife and child were in. 

1 hour ago, den said:

sky news.

And in doing so they now have nowhere to go now. They can't sack him after publicly supporting him, resigning is the only way he will go.

The weight of public anger about this is clear but three of 'the quad' have already tweeted their support of Demonic Cummings. I really think for many people who have stringently abided by the order this is the tipping point.

Why when you are showing symptoms would you drive for around three hours with a young child in the enclosed confines of a car. How negligent is that?

20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He didn’t meet his parents did he? It was a separate house that he, his wife and child were in. 

Right now we have no idea whether he met his parents or not. It is said he was staying in a separate house but that doesn't mean that he didn't meet his parents.

I'm just waiting now for someone who has been fined for doing something similar to come forward.

The advice is very clear -

If you or anyone in your household have symptoms you must stay at home for 7 days.

If you live with other people, they should stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms.

Cummings broke the rules he was instrumental in creating, he should be fired.

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And in doing so they now have nowhere to go now. They can't sack him after publicly supporting him, resigning is the only way he will go.

The weight of public anger about this is clear but three of 'the quad' have already tweeted their support of Demonic Cummings. I really think for many people who have stringently abided by the order this is the tipping point.

Why when you are showing symptoms would you drive for around three hours with a young child in the enclosed confines of a car. How negligent is that?

Whenever I look at a situation the first thing I try and do is consider what I would have done. 

Cummings isn’t like a lot of people in the sense of his work is 250+ miles away from his family. If the ‘story’ is true- that his wife had coronavirus and that he was concerned over the welfare of his child then the truth is I’d have drove back to care for them too. If he then takes up ill then it’s unfortunate but I’d have done the exact same thing. 

If any man here claims they’d stay hundreds of miles away whilst their wife was sick and child had the potential to be left alone then they are lying. 

I moved my pregnant mrs out of my home and into her parents the same night of the lockdown because I thought I’d have to continue working. I wanted to reduce the risk. However, if her parents got sick and then she got sick you could kiss my arse if you think I’m sitting on my hands and not making sure that my girl and my potential newborn (or in his case born child) is not getting my attention. 

With that said, the No 10 story could be a cover up that has used family and child as an emotional tool. I don’t think they’re above that. However, if the story of why he travelled is true, and he didn’t see his parents, then I’m sorry but I’d have done the same. 

1 minute ago, only2garners said:

Right now we have no idea whether he met his parents or not. It is said he was staying in a separate house but that doesn't mean that he didn't meet his parents.

I'm just waiting now for someone who has been fined for doing something similar to come forward.

He returned to his family home with wife and child, not his parents home. 

Stupid, really, but one must always consider the context. That all said and done though the public won’t consider such context. They will take their experience of the lockdown from this (not seeing parents, I had to bury my grandma in front of 10 people) and “think why did we suffer when he didn’t”?

Again though if my Mrs was sick and my child was at harm I’d have drove whatever distance I’d have needed to in order to be with them  

10 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Cummings isn’t like a lot of people in the sense of his work is 250+ miles away from his family.

Eh? Cummings is like millions of people who live a distance away from their parents but near their work. I have two sons in exactly the same situation. He lives with his wife and child in London, where both parents work.

Just now, only2garners said:

Eh? Cummings is like millions of people who live a distance away from their parents but near their work. I have two sons in exactly the same situation. He lives with his wife and child in London, where both parents work.

Doesn’t his wife and child live in the North East? He in London. 

I may have gotten half a story if that’s the case. I was under the impression he returned to Durham, where his wife and child were, because they were sick and he had to care for them. 

6 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He returned to his family home with wife and child, not his parents home. 

Stupid, really, but one must always consider the context. That all said and done though the public won’t consider such context. They will take their experience of the lockdown from this (not seeing parents, I had to bury my grandma in front of 10 people) and “think why did we suffer when he didn’t”?

Again though if my Mrs was sick and my child was at harm I’d have drove whatever distance I’d have needed to in order to be with them  

But isn't driving for three or four hours with coronavirus symptoms with a four year old in the car reckless? To protect the child surely the best option would have been for his sister or nieces (who we are being told offered to look after him) to travel to London, look after the kid and let mother and father self isolate.

Whichever way you view it he blatantly disregarded the guidelines he had a hand in drawing up and in his position he should do the honourable thing.

No. He a d his wife were illl so he took the child to Durham to be cared for by his parents travelling whilst he supposedly had the virus with his child in the car. He then left the child he took with him, whod been exposed to the virus, if indeed he and his wife had it, with those elderly parents, if I've read it correctly.

Edited by gumboots

His wife Mary Wakefield is a journalist with the Spectator, so I assume she lives in London to do that. in any case the story as I have read it was all three of them drove up to Durham - she had the virus and they ware worried that if he got it too they would need someone to look after the 4 year old.

As arbitro says it was both reckless and directly against several of the lockdown rules to drive themselves north. His elderly parents should not be visited (it sounds like he didn't stay with them doesn't mean he didn't see them - we don't know), he was supposed to stay at home as his wife had the virus, etc etc.

Just now, gumboots said:

No. He a d his wife were I'll so he took thechold to Durham to be cared for by his parents travelling whilst he supposedly had the virus with his child in the car. He then left the child he took with him, whod been exposed to the virus, if indeed he and his wife had it, with those elderly parents, if I've read it correctly.

Just now, only2garners said:

His wife Mary Wakefield is a journalist with the Spectator, so I assume she lives in London to do that. in any case the story as I have read it was all three of them drove up to Durham - she had the virus and they ware worried that if he got it too they would need someone to look after the 4 year old.

As arbitro says it was both reckless and directly against several of the lockdown rules to drive themselves north. His elderly parents should not be visited (it sounds like he didn't stay with them doesn't mean he didn't see them - we don't know), he was supposed to stay at home as his wife had the virus, etc etc.

In which case I have had my wires crossed. 

I was under the impression his family were in Durham and he had travelled up alone to ensure care. 

Dreams’ lesson is always get the full facts in that case. 

I'm not sure I've read it properly either but either way, he shouldn't have done it, especiallynot whilst asking us or indeed telling us not to travel let alone not to leave the house if you have symptoms

Don't worry Dreams. In these situations the story itself is often not what was first reported e.g. the first report was that he was staying with his elderly parents. I'm not sure anyone has the full facts on this yet.