He denies speaking to the police but presumably if the police spoke to him itll be on record somewhere

Regardless of the exact facts I'm worried by the lack of criticism from within the tory party. With the worst of the virus seemingly behind us and most of the difficult decisions have largely been taken why is no one vying to oust Johnson and using this opportunity as the start of this process? The cabinet and tory party are weak and full of yes men and that's how you end up in a mess. 

For anyone with ambition this is a perfect opportunity to come in, change the direction of travel with out it being called a u-turn, blame the last guy in charge and save the day. 

That Scottish science advisor resigned for doing something similar, so the precedent has been set. Cummings won't though, as he is vital for Johnson in his bid to escape any scrutiny and not be a real PM. I'd say he's also a man who likes the power and the prestige of manipulating things behind the scenes.

Good news for me; lockdown rules don’t apply as I have a wife and children 

This is the end of any potential enforcement of it, not a leg to stand on now they have backed this horse 

29 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Don't worry Dreams. In these situations the story itself is often not what was first reported e.g. the first report was that he was staying with his elderly parents. I'm not sure anyone has the full facts on this yet.

And the official statement says that no relations of Cummings were spoken to but Durham police said on March 31st officers were made aware of an individual who has travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city.

Only one of them can be telling the truth.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

The advice is very clear -

If you or anyone in your household have symptoms you must stay at home for 7 days.

If you live with other people, they should stay at home for 14 days from the day the first person got symptoms.

Cummings broke the rules he was instrumental in creating, he should be fired.

And this is what scares me about this government. As you say above it's pretty clear and explicit. Cummings did not follow this. 

Yet the Tory party line is he was in line with the guidance. Once again they are rewriting history. This scares me as it seems straight out of 1984. And it's not the first time either. Our great response and success in tackling the virus, the protective ring around our care homes. Without trying to be too dramatic to me it feels like our democracy is slipping. 

The story is that his wife had symptoms and he was worried that he would get the virus as well.

so, if he didn’t have the symptoms he should have stayed at home to look after the kids. He might not have got it, or he might have had a mild dose.

if he did have the symptoms then they shouldn’t have travelled, they should have asked for help from the area hub - as was the advice.

Either way he’s a fraud and to see other senior tories coming out in defence of someone clearly disobeying the lockdown rules just confirms what a bunch of charlatans they all are.

Today he told the press they weren’t 2 metres apart and to get out of his way. 

despicable, all of them.

My other half got informed yesterday afternoon that a lad who was in her class last Friday had been ill this week and tested positive. So much for kids not getting it etc etc

Anyway we got booked in for a test straight away for this morning and it was all very efficient and well marshaled by what looked to be army lads. All self testing and not the easiest thing to get right first time so god knows how many will fail through not doing it right but what can you do. Just shows again what the authorities as well as us are up against but i thought it was all quite impressive given the timescale and enormity of it all. 

Very surreal though !

Edited by tomphil

5 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

And this is what scares me about this government. As you say above it's pretty clear and explicit. Cummings did not follow this. 

Yet the Tory party line is he was in line with the guidance. Once again they are rewriting history. This scares me as it seems straight out of 1984. And it's not the first time either. Our great response and success in tackling the virus, the protective ring around our care homes. Without trying to be too dramatic to me it feels like our democracy is slipping. 

I got my last post deleted for saying this, but it’s the brexit syndrome. If lieing works then it’s the way to go. All principles are ignored.

20 minutes ago, Tom said:

This is the end of any potential enforcement of it, not a leg to stand on now they have backed this horse 

10 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And the official statement says that no relations of Cummings were spoken to but Durham police said on March 31st officers were made aware of an individual who has travelled from London to Durham and was present at an address in the city.

Only one of them can be telling the truth.

It's important not to forget that pretty much the exact time this was all happening:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-01/coronavirus-13-year-old-victim-died-alone-friend-says-ismail-mohamed-abdulwahab-kings-college-hospital/

Obviously this poor kid must not have had anyone that cared enough about him. 

11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

We've had our liberties stripped away on the back of dubious (at best) medical advice,  been under house arrest for 9 weeks and counting, quite possibly seen the Country bankrupted and a feeble attempt to cover for Cummings is a sign democracy is slipping?

2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

He didn’t meet his parents did he? It was a separate house that he, his wife and child were in. 

He didn't stay at home, as per government guidelines

In that same week, a 13 year old boy died in hospital without his family, and the family could not attend his funeral.

Monstrous double standards from no. 10.

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We've had our liberties stripped away on the back of dubious (at best) medical advice,  been under house arrest for 9 weeks and counting, quite possibly seen the Country bankrupted and a feeble attempt to cover for Cummings is a sign democracy is slipping?

You mean the rewriting of history and exemption from law for certain people? yes. 

Also Rev, on Rovers I respect your opinions, but the idea this is all a big deal about nothing (or something minor) is beyond batnuts. All the medical personnel I know talk about how serious covid is. People in business and government put money first, yet have still been willing to take a big financial hit in locking us down. we've seen the reports on the news from Italy and other plaxes. Governments around the world, as well as organisations like WHO are treating it as a big deal. Not sure what qualifies you to think ALL this is wrong and yet you are right it is something minor which we have gone over the top for. 

1 hour ago, gumboots said:

He denies speaking to the police but presumably if the police spoke to him itll be on record somewhere

That was odd. I thought he denied the police had spoken to him. 

I assumed this was political speak ie the police hadn't spoken to him specifically but to the whole family---- not him alone.

We await.

26 minutes ago, den said:

I got my last post deleted for saying this, but it’s the brexit syndrome. If lieing works then it’s the way to go. All principles are ignored.

It may get deleted but I would agree. Or at the very least the last couple of years have seen a shift in politics to the point where blatant lying, as oppose to omissions and distortions, is a legitimate tactic. 

51 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yet this very weekend people are being warned by the police not to drive beyond their local area.

2 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

He didn't stay at home, as per government guidelines

In that same week, a 13 year old boy died in hospital without his family, and the family could not attend his funeral.

Monstrous double standards from no. 10.

You mean his family wanted to do the right thing by seeing their dieing son but weren’t allowed to because of the rules drawn up by Cummings and the government, but he is right to do the right thing by his kids?

I can’t believe I’m Writing that.

When Dominic ran away from Downing Street, why didn't he go to his art dealer brother-in-law's place near Kensington High Street ?

Is Jack Humphry Baring Wakefield not trusted to babysit ? He is only 43

2 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

It may get deleted but I would agree. Or at the very least the last couple of years have seen a shift in politics to the point where blatant lying, as oppose to omissions and distortions, is a legitimate tactic. 

This government has form and Cummings more than most. You always know when this government is lying and covering up---they wheel Gove out.

Just now, 47er said:

Yet this very weekend people are being warned by the police not to drive beyond their local area.

The government have said its fine to travel, its madness, Johnson should have kept his populist gob shut!

What a bunch of shysters this government is.

Gove, Raab, Hancock, Sunik all defending the indefensible and using children as a human shield

Just when you thought they couldn't sink any lower, they actually managed it

Below is what the BBC are reporting on the police story. I suppose it may well have been that the police didn't spek to him directly but to his parents.

Someone had spotted Cummings in the garden playing with his child (not at death's door then) and called "the owner of the property" - could be anyone but probably his parents. Interesting that it says that there was someone present and self-isolating in "part of the house". So not a separate property then.

He's lucky his parents didn't live in Lancashire. Durham police have hardly given out any fines.

Durham Police confirmed officers had spoken to the owners of an address after its officers were made aware on 31 March of reports a person had travelled there from London.

A spokesman said that owners of the address confirmed the individual "was present and self-isolating in part of the house", and officers "explained to the family the guidelines around self-isolation and reiterated the appropriate advice around essential travel".

4 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

What a bunch of shysters this government is.

Gove, Raab, Hancock, Sunik all defending the indefensible and using children as a human shield

Just when you thought they couldn't sink any lower, they actually managed it

The quad?

7 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Below is what the BBC are reporting on the police story. I suppose it may well have been that the police didn't spek to him directly but to his parents.

Someone had spotted Cummings in the garden playing with his child (not at death's door then) and called "the owner of the property" - could be anyone but probably his parents. Interesting that it says that there was someone present and self-isolating in "part of the house". So not a separate property then.

He's lucky his parents didn't live in Lancashire. Durham police have hardly given out any fines.

Durham Police confirmed officers had spoken to the owners of an address after its officers were made aware on 31 March of reports a person had travelled there from London.

A spokesman said that owners of the address confirmed the individual "was present and self-isolating in part of the house", and officers "explained to the family the guidelines around self-isolation and reiterated the appropriate advice around essential travel".

number 10 says this...

At no stage was he “or his family” spoken to by the police about this matter, as is being reported.