1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

On the testing. If they're largely only testing people with symptoms and the upper estimate of new infections per day is 9000 people, assuming 50 % are non symptomatic that's 4500 symptomatic patients per day. Could that be why the number of testing actually done is so low? 

Only 2,095 confirmed positive cases from tests done

20200529_201318.jpg

29 minutes ago, den said:

The scientists refused to drop the threat level below 4, but Boris went ahead and eased restrictions anyway. How is that following the science Gav?

How many scientists refused den?

I‘ve not seen much Media today?

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

20200529_201318.jpg

How many people tested? Have they finally managed to test 100,000 people in a day one month after pledging to do so.

Edited by Ewood Ace

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

20200529_201318.jpg

Other studies estimate the true number is around 8000 per day currently. Vallance said yesterday that the true number is higher than the official figures. 

The question is how do we get this spare capacity to pick up those potentially 6000 people a day who are catching it but dont necessarily know 

The problem is, unless you test everybody, you wont know who has it. If you feel fine then theres no factor to say you need to be tested. An antibody test would be far better at this stage or would at least get a bigger take up. I'd go for one for example as I'm pretty sure the unidentified virus I had in January could have been it

5 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Read on Sky that there are huge issues with test and trace. Huge technical issues apparently even before the lack of an app is considrred. Another thing that seems to have been rushed out to direct attention elsewhere. Also I may be mistaken but didn't this have to be fully established before schools.were allowed back in? 

For me the entire concept of introducing track and trace at this late stage is completely flawed.

I can only see that it is of any real benefit very early in an outbreak when it is feasible to trace the numbers involved. By the time the disease is well established or near its peak it's too late. Either it's not possible to trace the large numbers involved or it's fairly pointless anyway.

By the time you're well past the peak with declining numbers like we have now, the scheme runs directly contrary to the aim of getting business  back up and running and getting back  to normal in general. You run the risk of hundreds of thousands of people who haven't actually got the virus needlessly having to stay off work and/or self isolate.

We seem to be introducing measures like this and 14 day quarantine which would have been invaluable at the start of the crisis but which at this point will do far more harm to any potential recovery than it will do good at this very late stage.

Just now, gumboots said:

The problem is, unless you test everybody, you wont know who has it. If you feel fine then theres no factor to say you need to be tested. An antibody test would be far better at this stage or would at least get a bigger take up. I'd go for one for example as I'm pretty sure the unidentified virus I had in January could have been it

Amen to that Gumboots.

I think I've had the virus as well and I was going to buy one of those tests from Superdrug for a bit of confirmation before  the MHRA banned labs from processing them.

Cases up and deaths up over the last few days....I fear a second wave very quickly.

Incompetence reigns

17 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

How many people tested? Have they finally managed to test 100,000 people in a day one month after pledging to do so.

No.

6 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Amen to that Gumboots.

I think I've had the virus as well and I was going to buy one of those tests from Superdrug for a bit of confirmation before  the MHRA banned labs from processing them.

Well here's the thing, Astra Sennica in conjunction with Oxford Uni, have developed a covid-19 vaccine, but its not available until august/sept, in large quantities ie 100million for the UK, they are saying trying to get enough people vaccinated is going to be difficult to prove the vaccine is working well as covid-19 is dying off, 

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Gav said:

How many scientists refused den?

I‘ve not seen much Media today?

The joint biosecurity centre Gav.  Basically the body set up by the government to determine the threat level. Johnson told everyone a couple of days ago that we were going to drop to level 3, but the JBC refused to do so. Johnson decided to ease the regulations against their advice. 
https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/joint-biosecurity-centre

The government will be using a new Covid-19 alert level to inform decisions and to explain the level of disease risk to the public. There are five levels:

• Level 1: Covid-19 is not known to be present in the UK
  • Level 2: Covid-19 is present in the UK, but the number of cases and transmission is low
  • Level 3: a Covid-19 epidemic is in general circulation
  • Level 4: a Covid-19 epidemic is in general circulation; transmission is high or rising exponentially
  • Level 5: as level 4 and there is a material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed.

The JBC will set these alert levels. The government says that the UK is currently at level 4.

Edited by den

6 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Cases up and deaths up over the last few days....I fear a second wave very quickly.

Incompetence reigns

There will be no second wave, not happened in any strength in any country that has gone through the peak, the virus likes confined spaces, so being outside is actually good, as long as you try to keep your distance and keep washing hands when you get home.use common sense. 

5 minutes ago, only2garners said:

No.

You can only test people who turn up for a test.

For the seventh day in a row now the number of people tested is 'unavailable'. The government is still yet to hit 100,000 tests a day despite pledging to do so by the end of last month.

untitled.png

1 minute ago, Ewood Ace said:

For the seventh day in a row now the number of people tested is 'unavailable'. The government is still yet to hit 100,000 tests a day despite pledging to do so by the end of last month.

untitled.png

Has Pritti Vacant been doing the counting?

3 minutes ago, jodrell said:

Has Pritti Vacant been doing the counting?

No Dianne Abbott

Pete you;ve just took Jim,s award  from Chaddy.

2 minutes ago, lsp82 said:

Is that on the basis of lack of testing capacity? 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

There will be no second wave, . 

I disagree. Numbers are creeping up. New wave by August, kids won't go back in September....mark my words....  

Edited by Sparks Rover

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I disagree. Numbers are creeping up. New wave by August, kids won't go back in September....mark my words....  

I wouldn't be at all surprised.