3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Lockdown relaxation may be moving too fast for safety, scientists warn

https://www.ft.com/content/26eaa9cd-021c-48e2-95ae-342e2f2cad37

Was this done quickly to distract from the Cummings affair? I wouldn't put it past Johnson to risk lives for his own political benefit...

Looks like government could have a scientist revolt. Would be an absolutely huge problem for them (and us).

Getting a general feeling of the wheels coming off.

4 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

For the seventh day in a row now the number of people tested is 'unavailable'. The government is still yet to hit 100,000 tests a day despite pledging to do so by the end of last month.

untitled.png

I heard less than 50% of the mailed out tests have been returned,  but they have all been added to the numbers tested.

More gerrymandering 

Coronavirus 'R' rate could be as low as 0.5 outside of hospitals - with the national average inflated by the huge infection rate in medical settings, say SAGE scientists

https://mol.im/a/8370921

Greece has published a list of countries whose citizens will be allowed to visit when travel restrictions are eventually eased.

UK and US not on it.

Going to locked in.

I wonder if the extraordinary introduction of UK international travel restrictions on 8 June is a way to hide the fact other countries will be banning Brits as they ease travel?

From what I understand the mantra

"Follow the science"

no longer applies in the UK.

- 50% adherence by public to self quarantine

- test trace and track a farce

- open scientific disagreement from SAGE on epidemic status and easing lockdown

I would never have imagined the UK would have become such a shambles.

Even here in the normally well behaved Ribble Valley you can tell lockdown is over. Groups of young people, extended families, 2 families of friends all down by the river yesterday. They were keeping their distance from other groups but not from members of the group they were in. People have decided for themselves. It shouldn't be happening but it is. 

Posted (edited)

Yep, 3 SAGE scientists prepared to speak out. 3 reasons why the easing of restrictions is very dangerous....

1) the R number is only just below 1.

2) We are still having around 8000 new infections every day in England alone and that’s in the community. There are infections in other places ie care homes that aren’t included.

3)  track and trace has only been in place for 2 days and is unproven.

As I posted earlier add on the fact that the threat level won’t be reduced even though Johnson said it would. So, try to work out what Johnson is up to. It might be that he’s feeling public support is slipping and he’s trying  to get people behind him - or maybe the pressure from Sunak is pushing his decision making, but it looks to me that he’s playing a very dangerous game. As one of the SAGE scientists says today, he’s risking people’s lives.

Edited by den

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Even here in the normally well behaved Ribble Valley you can tell lockdown is over. Groups of young people, extended families, 2 families of friends all down by the river yesterday. They were keeping their distance from other groups but not from members of the group they were in. People have decided for themselves. It shouldn't be happening but it is. 

Hardly surprising is it? When the PM's Chief Advisor can ignore the rules he helped draw up and the government is relaxing restrictions even though the number of deaths per day is about 4 x the total number of deaths in Australia since the pandemic started, you can hardly blame people for thinking we shouldn't take it seriously anymore.

Edited by 47er

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Greece has published a list of countries whose citizens will be allowed to visit when travel restrictions are eventually eased.

UK and US not on it.

Going to locked in.

I wonder if the extraordinary introduction of UK international travel restrictions on 8 June is a way to hide the fact other countries will be banning Brits as they ease travel?

From what I understand the mantra

"Follow the science"

no longer applies in the UK.

- 50% adherence by public to self quarantine

- test trace and track a farce

- open scientific disagreement from SAGE on epidemic status and easing lockdown

I would never have imagined the UK would have become such a shambles.

Last few days I’ve been thinking there’s a very good chance our holiday to Spain in July is going to go ahead. This lifting of restrictions now risks our infection rates being too high for Spain to allow the U.K. in.

Not surprising at all. Just annoying and frustrating that, having been pretty compliant, weve lost it in a couple of days .

Anybody any idea when hotels may open again.

I have to work in Scotland w/c 15th June and dont fancy driving back each day or kipping in the back of the van.

As a key worker it was mentioned i may be able to stay in one of these hotels that are open for key workers but think it may be for NHS staff only  ??

I work for a large facilities company and the vast majority of our work is for the NHS although the jobs i have up there are for HSBC so maybe it wouldn't apply.

It’s as clear as day now that it’s all fine it’s all posturing and it’s all attempts to dazzle us with science  . 
I called the pubs 

I’m telling. You end of July it won’t seem like it’s happened 

Posted (edited)

As I mentioned yesterday the government have been pretty consistent on the lock down advice, this despite pressures from business/back benchers to open up sooner. We are following most other countries in Europe with our timelines and we are following the SAGE advice, which was to keep the R under 1, I believe it currently stands at 0.7 -  0.9. Some scientists believe its even lowers outside of hospitals, more like 0.5 in the community but thats slicing and dicing the data and not confirmed or the way its calculated routinely. 

All that said I won't be rushing out on Monday to have BBQ's with family, I won't be rushing to shops to buy cr@p that can wait and I'll continue to live my life the way I have been doing since the lock down came into effect.

I despair for people who are living in crowded accommodation with no outdoor space, its must be horrendous, but the message for me is you stay in lock down until that R rate goes down still further, use your common sense, but I fear that will fall of deaf ears and judging by the traffic yesterday whilst going to pickup the weekly shop, it already has done.

Edited by Gav

1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It’s as clear as day now that it’s all fine it’s all posturing and it’s all attempts to dazzle us with science  . 
I called the pubs 

I’m telling. You end of July it won’t seem like it’s happened 

Do you live in New Zealand ? In that case you may be right.

13 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I disagree. Numbers are creeping up. New wave by August, kids won't go back in September....mark my words....  

The reason kids wont go back is purely down to parents, it is scientifically proven that year 1 to 6 year olds will not get the virus. the numbers creeping up may be from the long term patients, as the current infection or new patients admitted to hospital are decreasing in every area.  

57 minutes ago, den said:

Professor John Edmunds said it was a "political decision" to ease measures; Sir Jeremy Farrar said the NHS test and trace system should be "fully working".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52858392

Yes the EX advisor, maybe an axe to grind and its the Brussels broadcasting company 

Just now, EgyptianPete said:

The reason kids wont go back is purely down to parents, it is scientifically proven that year 1 to 6 year olds will not get the virus. the numbers creeping up may be from the long term patients, as the current infection or new patients admitted to hospital are decreasing in every area.  

Sorry Pete but thats simply not true.

Central government have devolved the decision making to local government (Public health) and its those depts at local level making the decisions. The government are saying open from 1st June, most schools in the North won't be doing so on advice from PH, its not safe, the tests haven't been met in many places.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Gav said:

As I mentioned yesterday the government have been pretty consistent on the lock down advice, this despite pressures from business/back benchers to open up sooner. We are following most other countries in Europe with our timelines and we are following the SAGE advice, which was to keep the R under 1, I believe it currently stands at 0.7 -  0.9. Some scientists believe its even lowers outside of hospitals, more like 0.5 in the community but thats slicing and dicing the data and not confirmed or the way its calculated routinely. 

All that said I won't be rushing out on Monday to have BBQ's with family, I won't be rushing to shops to buy cr@p that can wait and I'll continue to live my life the way I have been doing since the lock down came into effect.

I despair for people who are living in crowded accommodation with no outdoor space, its must be horrendous, but the message for me is you stay in lock down until that R rate goes down still further, use your common sense, but I fear that will fall of deaf ears and judging by the traffic yesterday whilst going to pickup the weekly shop, it already has done.

He’s not following anyone’s advice now from what I see.

he said throughout that he’d relax restrictions as the threat level fell - which he isn’t doing. Sage members saying it’s too early. Who’s advice is he following Cummings?

Edited by den

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do you live in New Zealand ? In that case you may be right.

Let’s not live in a world where we take these jokers on face value 

old people die 

Just now, den said:

He’s not following anyone’s advice now from what I see.

Political expediency has taken over from following the science I'm afraid. It's a shambles that's going to last a lot longer in the UK than it needed to.

1 minute ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Let’s not live in a world where we take these jokers on face value 

old people die 

No, everybody dies, eventually. . At the moment too many people are dying before their time.

10 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Ignorant post. Kids do get it but are asymptomatic.  Therefore passing onto teachers, parents, grandparents,  etc .

There is also some record of kids developing this Kawasaki disease....  

1 minute ago, Gav said:

Central government have devolved the decision making to local government (Public health) and its those depts at local level making the decisions. The government are saying open from 1st June, most schools in the North won't be doing so on advice from PH, its not safe, the tests haven't been met in many places.

Sorry i should have added mainly Labour councils are stopping kids from going to school, all getting too political now.

7 minutes ago, Gav said:

Gav, some scientists are saying its best to be outside as the virus like closed areas, which is exactly what lockdown is, staying in enclosed spaces, track and trace will help immensely if they can get it right.

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Ignorant post. Kids do get it but are asymptomatic.  Therefore passing onto teachers, parents, grandparents,  etc .

There is also some record of kids developing this Kawasaki disease....  

Kawasaki disease is not covid-19 (maybe symptomatic) also my post is not ignorant, maybe to you it is, we all have an opinion dosent mean you have to reply with an arrogant attitude.