6 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

I really dont think it matters if they were or were not remainers, through this last week it has become evident a plot was in the mix to stop the UK from leaving the EU 31st December, so it was no co incidence, the media I.e, the Mirror and Guardian to print the Cummings story hoping it would lead to him either resigning or be sacked, none of these happened, and subsequently the Letter from Barnier appeard offering a 2yr extension which quite rightly has been refused, add to this today the Mail on Sundays headline - You couldn't make it up, highlights the witness who alerted police,  broke lockdown rules and invented his story of seeing cummings. So the treatment of cummings and his family including a 4yr old boy from a media frenzy should have some kind of apology from the said Media frenzy and the papers who told lies. I dont think that will happen.

In closing this affair was nothing to do with breaking lockdown rules, it was all political to stop Brexit.

I voted leave and I thought Cummings should have gone. For me it had nothing to do with Brexit but the same old Tory traditions of one rule for them and another for the rest of us. Cummings did break lockdown rules 3 times in my opinion but even if you argue the trip from Durham was allowable, he still broke the lockdown rules twice by his own admission. Firstly by going back to work when he though his wife might have the virus and secondly by taking the trip to Barnard Castle. 

Whether you like it or not it is a story that the man who helped put together the lockdown rules breached them just as it was with the woman in Scotland and Professor Ferguson, neither of whom were political figures but both were also widely reported on. Because in all 3 cases there is one common theme, hypocrisy.

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

I voted leave and I thought Cummings should have gone. For me it had nothing to do with Brexit but the same old Tory traditions of one rule for them and another for the rest of us. Cummings did break lockdown rules 3 times in my opinion but even if you argue the trip from Durham was allowable, he still broke the lockdown rules twice by his own admission. Firstly by going back to work when he though his wife might have the virus and secondly by taking the trip to Barnard Castle. 

Whether you like it or not it is a story that the man who helped put together the lockdown rules breached them just as it was with the woman in Scotland and Professor Ferguson, neither of whom were political figures but both were also widely reported on. Because in all 3 cases there is one common theme, hypocrisy.

This alleged link between reaction to Cummings and Brexit is fake news. 100 Tory MP"s are not Remainers, for example.

A majority of the country wants Cummings to go because they can't stand the little rat.

What they feel about Brexit isn't relevant.

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

we have 65 millions people in this country and the police have handed out 14,000 fines for breaching the coronavirus guidelines. 

14,000 is a small minority compare to 65 million people. 

3,200 fines in Lancashire. Here the link https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-52301650

from the link

Deputy Chief Constable Sara Glen said Lancashire Police handed out the most with 380 due to "barbecues, parties and Blackpool beaches", followed by Thames Valley with 219 and Surrey with 205.

Some 82 per cent of fines were given to men, and 15 per cent to women, with three per cent unknown. A third of fines go to those aged 18 to 24, with a further third going to those aged 25 to 34.

In most cases the police have politely asked offenders to move on. Further there is a big discrepancy between police forces around the number of fines each have imposed.

The correlation between ignoring the restrictions and fines issued is very weak. How many cases of breaking the restrictions have there been?

Answer-------nobody has any idea.

BUT---more people will ignore the rules now because of Cummings.

32 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

I really dont think it matters if they were or were not remainers, through this last week it has become evident a plot was in the mix to stop the UK from leaving the EU 31st December, so it was no co incidence, the media I.e, the Mirror and Guardian to print the Cummings story hoping it would lead to him either resigning or be sacked, none of these happened, and subsequently the Letter from Barnier appeard offering a 2yr extension which quite rightly has been refused, add to this today the Mail on Sundays headline - You couldn't make it up, highlights the witness who alerted police,  broke lockdown rules and invented his story of seeing cummings. So the treatment of cummings and his family including a 4yr old boy from a media frenzy should have some kind of apology from the said Media frenzy and the papers who told lies. I dont think that will happen.

In closing this affair was nothing to do with breaking lockdown rules, it was all political to stop Brexit.

Wow!  :wacko:

43 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Apart from the admissions to going to Durham on very, very dubious grounds and the trip to Barnard's Castle. Apart from all of that no rules broken or in question whatsoever. 

Don't get me wrong, the making up of allegations is dispicable and loathsome and undermines attempts to take the moral high ground. But the idea Cummings is totally innocent and it's all an anti Brexit ploy is ballony. 

Never said he was innocent,

40 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I wouldn't worry too much, there'll be plenty of jobs around once Brexit kicks in.

so patronising i'll ignore your attempt at sarcasm 

20 minutes ago, 47er said:

Wow!  :wacko:

Wow indeed 😎

22 minutes ago, EgyptianPete said:

Never said he was innocent,

Which might just suggest there is an offence in there which is contributing towards the outrage. 

Find it hard to say it was an anti Brexit plot when pro Brexit MPs and Media have been critical of Cummings and called for his removal. 

Honestly linking this to Brexit - either in a pro or anti Brexit way - doesn't do that person any favours as it clearly isn't about that, as shown by the widespread condemnation. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

You must allow me to enjoy myself now and then!

Chaddy lives by the Daily Mail. Its his Bible.

I'm loving that they are on opposite sides for once. Forgive my indulgence.

He has me on ignore but he'll read it!

Permission to enjoy yourself all you like. Given the inconsistencies I've pointed out I can't criticise you for it! Tbh I was worried your post was a tad on the subtle side. 

Some useless and un-important information...

Austria are playing games, we-thinks. They've opened up travel to most countries except Croatia, which has just 101 coronavirus-related deaths. Why? Tourism! Summer is coming, and they want to recoup tourist numbers instead of having Austrians desert the country for the Adriatic coast.

Coming out of the lock-down - great! People on social media saying "we'll change for the better after this" - nope!

7 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Some useless and un-important information...

Austria are playing games, we-thinks. They've opened up travel to most countries except Croatia, which has just 101 coronavirus-related deaths. Why? Tourism! Summer is coming, and they want to recoup tourist numbers instead of having Austrians desert the country for the Adriatic coast.

Coming out of the lock-down - great! People on social media saying "we'll change for the better after this" - nope!

I have friends in Croatia, the lockdown is almost over, borders are open flights allowed, i think 80% of Croatia's income is tourism, this Austria info will not go down well, its only about an hrs drive from Austria maybe 2/3 depending on where you want to go. 

I'm very short sighted, and cannot drive. What would the penalty be if I get stopped and admit my vision is impaired if I was stopped by by the police if I wasn't wearing my glasses?

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Ok so you undermine your  point then that there are loads of people breaking the rules and any increase of late not being related to recent events. Fair enough. 

I don't called 14,000 people fined considering that loads of people our population is over 65 million people alot. If you do, that's fine. I seen someone on social media who I know has said that the police fined them yesterday for having a house party with friends and a few drinks. Oh well. no sympathy for them,

3 hours ago, arbitro said:

Johnson was talking about the economy on Monday more intensely than any time during the past ten weeks. Coincidentally it was not long after Cummings was trying to pull the wool over the nations eyes in a national address. By another strange coincidence you mentioned it several times too. In my view Johnson was trying to deflect the Cummings stories.

The businesses you mention (and many more) have been in the news from the start talking about financial hardship. 

I'm not saying you didn't mention it before but it seems you have just been reiterating it after what Johnson said.

I have been mention the economy through this crisis. But I started mentioning the economy in early hours of Monday morning more stronger as it is vital and very important we get our economy going and the other points I made at that time. I know people who could be affected by redundancy or Parents like myself worrying about their children education and social interacting with follow students. 

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

And yet his and the party's approval have soared without it.

Starmer has done nothing much, let wait for his policies to come out before we judge anything. After watching shadow Chancellor Dodds on Andrew Marr Show she didn't have a clue on what Labour's position is on the unlocking of the lockdown. More reports are coming out that Labour MP's broke the lock down rules. But Starmer has been silent on these MP's. wonder why? Cat got his tongue. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't called 14,000 people fined considering that loads of people our population is over 65 million people alot. If you do, that's fine. I seen someone on social media who I know has said that the police fined them yesterday for having a house party with friends and a few drinks. Oh well. no sympathy for them,

I have been mention the economy through this crisis. But I started mentioning the economy in early hours of Monday morning more stronger as it is vital and very important we get our economy going and the other points I made at that time. I know people who could be affected by redundancy or Parents like myself worrying about their children education and social interacting with follow students. 

Starmer has done nothing much, let wait for his policies to come out before we judge anything. After watching shadow Chancellor Dodds on Andrew Marr Show she didn't have a clue on what Labour's position is on the unlocking of the lockdown. More reports are coming out that Labour MP's broke the lock down rules. But Starmer has been silent on these MP's. wonder why? Cat got his tongue. 

Why would Labour have a position on something they'll only control if this virus is still with us in 4 years' time?

They have no need to form policy until 2024. They can just sit back, question and criticise until then.

Demanding to know their policy is like asking Southgate to name the 2024 WC squad tomorrow.

Re: MPs breaking lockdown (you seem to be obsessed with Labour MPs, ignoring the Conservative ones, can't think why), I expect Starmer and Johnson have reprimanded them privately, with some resigning their additional positions.

You seem continuously ignorant to the fact these MPs are accountable to the public, and we can vote them out when the time comes. Dominic Cummings is not and can seemingly do as he pleases, hence the anger.

Edited by Mike E

8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Why would Labour have a position on something they'll only control if this virus is still with us in 4 years' time?

They have no need to form policy until 2024. They can just sit back, question and criticise until then.

Re: MPs breaking lockdown (you seem to be obsessed with Labour MPs, ignoring the Conservative ones, can't think why), I expect Starmer and Johnson have reprimanded them privately, with some resigning their additional positions.

You seem continuously ignorant to the fact these MPs are accountable to the public, and we can vote them out when the time comes. 

Starmer has said publicly he is in front of this current unlocking. But Dodds had nothing. 

Well Starmer should to take a holiday for next 3 years then. I'm sure that reassuring that Starmer has nothing to say about people losing their jobs and no ideas on job creation. Nothing wrong with his suggesting ideas. I had ideas in 2020 about job creation but never said owt cos I'm in opposition and dont need any policy on this. 

Starmer has gone public about Cummings but not his own MP's. Double standards. 

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well there are a couple of points on your interpretation on this, but will gloss over this to the single thing. 

You made out it was bigger and more significant to suggest Cummings hadn't been responsible for the recent increase in this in today's post which I  quoted. 

My point was you have implied it is both a big and a small number of people breaking it depending on what suits your point. 

16 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Starmer has said publicly he is in front of this current unlocking. But Dodds had nothing. 

Well Starmer should to take a holiday for next 3 years then. I'm sure that reassuring that Starmer has nothing to say about people losing their jobs and no ideas on job creation. Nothing wrong with his suggesting ideas. I had ideas in 2020 about job creation but never said owt cos I'm in opposition and dont need any policy on this. 

Labour MP resigns from the front bench, you think Starmer didn't have a hand in this? There's an old expression, 'empty vessels make the loudest noise'- less is definitely more. I would say where has the PM been? Hardly ever see him and when he does open his mouth it is a train wreck. Why would Starmer interfere with this? He has closed the gap to 8 points with most polls and happily destroys Bojo at PMQS. 

Anybody with 40 minutes to spare have a listen to " File On 4 " on BBC Radio 4 at 5.05pm today.  It's very interesting. It gives the low down on the decisions to allow the Cheltenham races and the Liverpool v Athletico football match to go ahead.

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Well there are a couple of points on your interpretation on this, but will gloss over this to the single thing. 

You made out it was bigger and more significant to suggest Cummings hadn't been responsible for the recent increase in this in today's post which I  quoted. 

My point was you have implied it is both a big and a small number of people breaking it depending on what suits your point. 

I think in the main most people were doing their best to keep to the rules previously. What happens in the future ? We'll have to wait and see.

Having said that I'm just listening to the news - these idiots that were " tombstoning " off the cliffs on the South Coast want locking up. 3 seriously injured apparently yesterday. A bet they got a frosty welcome at the local A&E !

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

56 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He doesnt need a policy just yet, he just needs to oppose and hold boris to account. When they were about to increase immigration surcharge, he pushed for it to be scrapped for NHS / care staff. He will be of far more value critiquing actual government plans than coming up with a separate plan for everything. 

8 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

You could protest near Parliament. 

Chaddy you been round Whitehall, Parliament Square, St Stephen's Green recently?

4 hours ago, imy9 said:

Labour MP resigns from the front bench, you think Starmer didn't have a hand in this? 

But no public comment on the MP resignation from the front bench whilst he cannot wait to talk about Cummings and the media asked no questions to him about his own MP's. 

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

He doesnt need a policy just yet, he just needs to oppose and hold boris to account. When they were about to increase immigration surcharge, he pushed for it to be scrapped for NHS / care staff. He will be of far more value critiquing actual government plans than coming up with a separate plan for everything. 

Yes he did but so did many Conservatives MP's in private to them and myself who was unhappy about the Subcharge for NHS and Care Staff.

But I'm more interested in his ideas for job creation, re training staff, infrastructure and redevelopment projects. This is time for ideas from all sides of politics  

The sort of things that the Conservatives have more or less ignored (apart from HS 2) since 2015 and the whole Brexit farce then. 

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes he did but so did many Conservatives MP's in private to them and myself who was unhappy about the Subcharge for NHS and Care Staff.

Are you saying you have a role in government now?

3 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

The sort of things that the Conservatives have more or less ignored (apart from HS 2) since 2015 and the whole Brexit farce then. 

Unemployment at its lowest level since 1974 at 3.9 it was between January and March this year. Figures for the Office of National Statistics.  https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peoplenotinwork/unemployment/timeseries/mgsx/lms