Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Sturgeon stood by her CMO Calderwood when she originally flouted lockdown rules. Let's not all forget that. It was only after public pressure that Calderwood resigned. 

It was Dr Calderwood who walked. Had Sturgeon had her way then the British government would have had to stand by her too.

The only difference between those circumstances is that Calderwood is more of a human than Cummings. 

Not quite the only difference though. Sturgeon did initially back Dr Calderwood, that is true, but the weight of public opinion in Scotland caused Nicola to rethink that decision and they then met and agreed that for the sake of moving on and being able to justify continuing the lockdown rules, Calderwood should tender her resignation. That is the key difference for me. Had Boris dealt with Cummings in the same way, he would have been gone by now, possibly before that shit-show in the rose garden at No 10. That's without even accounting for the fact that your chief medical advisor is perhaps more important to you in a pandemic situation than your ten-a-penny 'strategist'.

Edited by oldjamfan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RoverDom said:

Labour MP stood down, that's highly unlikely to have happened without Starmer giving them a push. On Cummings, starmer was asked what he would have done and he said he would have sacked him, then his MP breaks lockdown and gets the boot. He's talked the talk and walked the walk. 

 

So your final point agrees with me that they had a chance to speak out against the NHS policy but chose not to. 

 

Starmer did a twitter video on 24th of May about his view that Cummings should be sack. 

But no public comments on his own MP';s who broke the lockdown rules. 

and the question my local MP asked is one that local businesses have been asking cos the rail link would be good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't matter if Starmer didnt make a public statement, because he ACTED to deal with the situation.Actions are what matters here. Johnson has said plenty but done nothing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Starmer did a twitter video on 24th of May about his view that Cummings should be sack. 

But no public comments on his own MP';s who broke the lockdown rules. 

and the question my local MP asked is one that local businesses have been asking cos the rail link would be good. 

Probably because he actually sacked his MP? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Not quite the only difference though. Sturgeon did initially back Dr Calderwood, that is true, but the weight of public opinion in Scotland caused Nicola to rethink that decision and they then met and agreed that for the sake of moving on and being able to justify continuing the lockdown rules, Calderwood should tender her resignation. That is the key difference for me. Had Boris dealt with Cummings in the same way, he would have been gone by now, possibly before that shit-show in the rose garden at No 10. That's without even accounting for the fact that your chief medical advisor is perhaps more important to you in a pandemic situation than your ten-a-penny 'strategist'.

The importance of a medical officer vs a strategist is true, and overlooked when comparisons are made I should add.

I guess I am tired of the Sturgeon 'love-in'. Said it before that I don't have much respect for somebody that is fundamentally trying to break up our Union and do more harm to Britain than Brexit will. It is just an odd position to find yourself in when the same people that absolutely ravage the ERG-nuts then shower praise on somebody that is fighting the same fight, only closer to home.

Underneath it all she is a politician and showed it with Calderwood. Her initial reaction was to protect her friends, like the Tory government did, but at least unlike them she had the decency to cave to public pressure. Had that pressure not come though she would have been happy to keep her in her post and dismiss her breaking of the rules as foolish only. 

However, with all said and done, I wish she was on "my side" as opposed to against me, which is a lot more than can be said for her predecessor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sturgeon couldn't care less about Britain - or in particular, a Tory-led England - but she does care about Scotland. So if Scotland does break up the union and causes more harm than Brexit, I guess she couldn't give a flying haggis what happens to the rest of the UK. 

She's an astute operator and has out-manouevred the successive idiots in No 10 at almost every turn. She would have made a good Labour leader in another era. 

A Labour victory at the next UK election might keep the Scots nationalists at bay for a while but the move towards independence looks inevitable to me. The Scots hate being ruled by a load of Tory English public schoolboys. I don't blame them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can the government's cheerleaders explain how we can go from Level 4, to Level 1 over the course of a weekend when hundreds of people a day are still dying?

 

No photo description available.

 

 

 

Edited by jim mk2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Starmer did a twitter video on 24th of May about his view that Cummings should be sack. 

But no public comments on his own MP';s who broke the lockdown rules. 

and the question my local MP asked is one that local businesses have been asking cos the rail link would be good. 

I do feel Starmer can't do anything right for you. As it is, actions speak louder than words. The MP in his party has resigned, Cummings is still there. 

Tbh I'm getting a bit sick of the rank hypocrisy towards Starmer. He cannot do any right for you. If he comments he should keep quiet, if he has a policy he should just back the government. Of he doesn't have a policy he should do and he shows no initiative. The guy just can't win. Tbh the double standards are beginning to grate. 

It's not just on Starmer though, it's the double standards on everything. Morgan's character and past actions matter as a TV show host but Boris's don't for PM, polls and papers only count when they show what you want and are ignored when they don't (often in the space of a week!) Agendas and biases are highlighted against the Tory party but the Tory party and cabinet have no biases or ulterior motives.

It's a bit of a parody and isn't really debate, just propoganda. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chaddy - here's some labour policy for you. What angle would you like to take to criticise starmer on this one?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Chaddy - here's some labour policy for you. What angle would you like to take to criticise starmer on this one?

The government has said that 95% of people receive their results within 48 hours and are pushing the company who analyse the results for 24 hours time around

1 hour ago, RoverDom said:

Probably because he actually sacked his MP? 

she resigned not sacked. 

47 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

If he comments he should keep quiet, if he has a policy he should just back the government.

I haven't said he should stay quiet, I asked him for his ideas on job creation, job re training, plus other things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

she resigned not sacked. 

Ever heard of the saying jumped before they were pushed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if she did resign before Starmer spoke to her, that's surely an honourable move and to be commended isn't it? Or maybe for you that would mean that Starmer is wrong for not sacking her quickly enough before she resigned? Completely bizarre logic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

 

she resigned not sacked. 

 

Resigned is the same as when a football manager leaves by 'mutual consent' 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Another @chaddyrovers hypocrisy. Always assume the worst of Labour and best of the Torys. It would be amusing if it didn't give the government a free pass on everything. 

Clearly there has been some influence of Starmer's leadership, be it in culture setting or a quiet word in this. 

But even if not, she breaks lockdown and goes - used to criticise. 

Cummings breaks lockdown and stays - denied (despite the world saying otherwise, oh no all Torys, papers and public don't count on this one) and stays in a job. 

It might just seem like double standards. 

Edited by Blue blood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Another @chaddyrovers hypocrisy. Always assume the worst of Labour and best of the Torys. It would be amusing if it didn't give the government a free pass on everything. 

Clearly there has been some influence of Starmer's leadership, be it in culture setting or a quiet word in this. 

But even if not, she breaks lockdown and goes - used to criticise. 

Cummings breaks lockdown and stays - denied (despite the world saying otherwise, oh no all Torys, papers and public don't count on this one) and stays in a job. 

It might just seem like double standards. 

I'm like the above with Rovers and burnley, no matter whats put before me I can't bring myself to praise anything that shower have ever done, even when faced with seemingly indisputable facts, I'll never concede, its my duty as a 4th generation Blackburn Rovers support, I will never surrender :rover:

Politics I can be much more balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denmark the latest country to open international borders but UK (and Sweden) notable by its absence from the list of countries with whom links are being restored.

This should give a double cause for pause.

Experts every bit as eminent as those in the UK are saying the virus is NOT UNDER CONTROL in the UK.

In most cases, the biggest single export to the UK is tourism. They are saying "NO THANKS". They don't want to sell to the UK in these circumstances.

And you think not selling to the UK is a potent weapon in the Brexit "negotiations"???  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Gav said:

I'm like the above with Rovers and burnley, no matter whats put before me I can't bring myself to praise anything that shower have ever done, even when faced with seemingly indisputable facts, I'll never concede, its my duty as a 4th generation Blackburn Rovers support, I will never surrender :rover:

Politics I can be much more balanced.

I think you've hit that particular nail with the hammer's sweetspot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

550 deaths over the last 24 hours.

Shambles

So why in the space of barely a week have we gone from Level 4 to Level 1?

Unless of course, Dominic Cummings' herd immunity policy has been adopted again by No 10. 

Old people are expendable, said Dom, as he took another eyesight test 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

550 deaths over the last 24 hours.

Shambles

Where's that figure come from? 

Just over 100 on the news, lowest since March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just seen the queues at IKEA on the TV. What's wrong with people ? Are they that desperate for a bookshelf ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

550 deaths over the last 24 hours.

Shambles

Bit of a misleading statement though, 450ish of them occured since 26th April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No new deaths at East lancashire hospitals

https://www.lancs.live/news/lancashire-news/daily-coronavirus-death-figures-lancashire-18343830.amp?__twitter_impression=true

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Just seen the queues at IKEA on the TV. What's wrong with people ? Are they that desperate for a bookshelf ?

People wanting to DIY whilst off work. Plus wanting to redecorate their gardens. 

I have been doing the same since belong furlough we have redecorated 3 rooms in the house

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.