2 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Definitely.

I spent 6 weeks slobbing around the gaff playing Warzone when in reality I could have, with relative safety, been out and about circulating continuing with my job and keeping some people in work. You do have to consider the risk of then passing it on to the vulnerable, however, had a lockdown been applied properly to the most vulnerable / elderly we could have possibly both afforded to continue it for longer (which seems to be required) and eased the burden on the government by not needing to be furloughed.

Lessons definitely have to be learned. I will give the benefit of the doubt on the implementation of lockdown given it is a once in a century circumstance. 

Either way, if the second peak does come, we need to be much better prepared and also much better at organising who needs to go into lockdown and why. I'd consider it a failure if I need to spend another 6+ weeks in isolation given the experience we now have. 

I shan't complain too much mind. I was able to work from home the whole time. In hindsight I'd have been fine going into the office. As it is weve proved over the last 3 months that working from home is as good as if not better than working from the office. Certainly in my company I'll never spend 5 days in the office again. I also spoke to a mate who was mid way through relocating as he wanted to move back up north, been told that cos of the pandemic he can just work from home forever so he can live where he wants so its opened up a lot more opportunity for him in terms of where he lives. I think a lot of positives have come from the needless isolation. 

4 hours ago, RoverDom said:

228 for under 40s as well. They say it an illness that doesnt discriminate but we're increasingly learning that it does based on age, gender and ethnicity.

Purely with the benefit of hindsight I wonder if this knowledge would have affected what a lockdown looks like.

I'd add in obesity, diabetes, and heart disease to criteria that the virus causes most damage in.

US cases are increasing in the 25-25 age range as they are now out and about in large numbers. Texas reported that almost all of those within that age range who are in ICU's have a separate health condition.

It barely affects u18's yet until a study comes out that can definitively say what their rate of infecting others is full school return will be on shaky ground.

There is still no research on long term issues with the virus. Do people have permanent lung damage? What about kidney function? Blood clots?

9 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Definitely.

I spent 6 weeks slobbing around the gaff playing Warzone when in reality I could have, with relative safety, been out and about circulating continuing with my job and keeping some people in work. You do have to consider the risk of then passing it on to the vulnerable, however, had a lockdown been applied properly to the most vulnerable / elderly we could have possibly both afforded to continue it for longer (which seems to be required) and eased the burden on the government by not needing to be furloughed.

Lessons definitely have to be learned. I will give the benefit of the doubt on the implementation of lockdown given it is a once in a century circumstance. 

Either way, if the second peak does come, we need to be much better prepared and also much better at organising who needs to go into lockdown and why. I'd consider it a failure if I need to spend another 6+ weeks in isolation given the experience we now have. 

I don't think realistically we could have had a lighter lockdown as the deaths could have been significantly higher. Although imposed way too late once in place it's been about the right length and intensity imo.

Lessons learned for the next pandemic are :

1) Lockdown early (should have locked down 2 weeks earlier)

2) immediately restrict and screen international arrivals until situation known and under control

3) Authorise a huge number of labs to perform testing (as opposed to the ludicrous decision to limit testing to 2 labs initially)

4) have a dedicated test and trace function on standby 

In terms of the coming second wave of this pandemic - it should be okay as we have vast testing in place, and a decent set of responses to contain outbreaks. We should be able to do local lockdowns and limit outbreaks through that. For the situation to get generally out of control would require a Trump level f*** up. Current Tory government is incompetent (as shown by the late lockdown, covid app, testing debacle etc etc) but to let the infection get out of control again would require negligence on such a huge level under such scrutiny that I don't think it can happen.

Really hope I do not have to eat my words.

Joey - I can’t disagree with the majority of your post except the last bit about testing. We haven’t got vast testing In place and never have had yet. Tomorrow morning’s More or Less will provide some concrete evidence but as of last week we still had not managed to hit the 30th April target of 100,000 tests let alone testing 100,000 individuals.

I would also recommend you have a look at yesterday’s detailed report on the testing shambles by Shaun Lintern in the Independent. It catalogues a consistent policy by the Government to favour giving contracts to set up labs to private contractors. Not only did they refuse to use the existing lab facilities and more importantly the qualifies public sector staff who knew what to do, but they are still doing it now. I assume we are going to miss the latest target to have all test results within 48 hours - that is due by today.

image.png.36f8dd0341bc0bd2a65a296def6e688f.png

This is what sovereignty and taking control of our borders looks like

A lot of people should look at the graph and feel like total suckers.

I told you there was rampant evil corruption.

1) Government privatised and wrecked the Health Service procurement WHEN IT KNEW THERE WAS A PANDEMIC COMING

2) Single tender bidding

3) at least two contracts of £108m each to the most risible of scarcely extant front companies

4) Then this from the Health Service Journal (Chinese companies were not getting the benefit- a huge amount went to Tory donors Bunzl):

Revealed: The 10-fold price hikes on PPE paid by ‘desperate’ trusts

By Lawrence Dunhill1 July 2020

Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust

Spending data from a large NHS trust has revealed huge mark-ups in the prices it paid for personal protective equipment at the height of the covid pandemic – with several items costing up to 10 times the normal price.

Just read a snippet on ONS "In Week 25, the number of deaths registered was 0.7% below the five-year average (65 deaths fewer)" will be interesting to see how this continues 

36 areas in England to join Leicester in lockdown according to Sky News.

Posted (edited)

B w d on list of zero cases in last 7 days now  

also a pop of about 150 k , so about 45 cases , some untested ? Some asymptomatic some diagnosed over The phone .

isnt this somewhat hysterical ? 
I sense we are being kept on our toes 

Edited by Inglorious basturk

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

Potentially Blackburn with Darwen

image.thumb.png.e68c7fdd8f38079371964557e58ed87f.png

Prof Sarah Gilbert and Prof John Bell from Oxford university have been  in front of the Parliament science and technology committee today. Plus Kate Bingham. 

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Prof Sarah Gilbert and Prof John Bell from Oxford university have been  in front of the Parliament science and technology committee today. Plus Kate Bingham. 

I think I’ll pass . Why pump my body full of chemicals over something that effects so few people 

Spending on PPE so far this year- £14 billion. I would wager £10 billion of that has gone to shady middlemen associated with the private interests of Government.

A confectionary company has now turned up with a £108 million no tender order for PPE.

That's the third £108m no tender order discovered to date.

The first...

You see this time and time again in public sector. Once you prove misconduct/dishonesty/corruption. Then suddenly everything becomes an honest mistake

1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Not sure if anyone here would be bothered but the r rate in Malta ? Has gone above 1 

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/six-new-covid-19-cases-for-second-consecutive-day.799128

They refused to let desperate migrants escaping persecution to disembark for weeks and held them offshore with little or no facilities whilst they argued with the rest of EU what to do with them.

Funnily enough it seems to be have passed our Maltese correspondent by :rock:

So far this year the EU have thrown Italy under the bus by refusing to help those poor people at the start of the Covid crisis. Now they’ve refused to help desperate migrants escaping persecution.

Who wants to be part of that gang?

https://www.euractiv.com/section/justice-home-affairs/news/no-eu-country-accepted-any-of-the-400-migrants-stranded-off-malta/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/may/29/italy-considers-charges-over-maltas-shocking-refusal-to-rescue-migrants

Edited by Gav

12 minutes ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Only reason I came across that article is I have been researching finding some summer sun to replace a cruise for my old dad , turns out Malta is a bit of a tip . 

Malta is a sandstone dust bowl with a 1970’s twist, if he likes that kind of thing go for it, but don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Edited by Gav