2 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

Not sure if anyone here would be bothered but the r rate in Malta ? Has gone above 1 

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/six-new-covid-19-cases-for-second-consecutive-day.799128

Seen the date on that article?

We have have had 0 new cases in 8 of the last ten days and only 18 people have not yet been cured of Covid.

Posted (edited)

Something is happening in America we should keep an eye on.

1) there seems to be different mutations of Covid on the West and East Coast. One transmits between humans more easily than the other.

2) Florida alone saw over 10,000 new infections in a single day.

3) now this is scary especially considering the elderly skew in Florida's population.

The median age of hospitalisation with Covid in Florida has dropped from 65 to 35 years old.

Edited by philipl

6 hours ago, philipl said:

Seen the date on that article?

We have have had 0 new cases in 8 of the last ten days and only 18 people have not yet been cured of Covid.

I certainly did see it . Works both ways doesn’t it

8 hours ago, Gav said:

Malta is a sandstone dust bowl with a 1970’s twist, if he likes that kind of thing go for it, but don’t say you haven’t been warned.

Funnily enough he said that it doesn’t look like it has changed much since he went in the 70s and we swiftly moved on . The prices were 2/3 everywhere else . Clear why 

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Are Malta part of the EU? 

!!!!! :D

2 hours ago, Inglorious basturk said:

I certainly did see it . Works both ways doesn’t it

R had been below 0.7 for the month prior to the two bad days.

My late grandfather used to love his trips to Malta. Was stationed out there in the war. He'd wear his brown "jesus sandles" with white socks, bum bag because he didn't trust the locals, dressed head to toe in khaki. Imagine the stereotypical British tourist and you've got him in one. It was the only place he would go 😂.

Maybe it is because that is the impression I have in my head whenever I hear Malta but it always sticks with me. If I ever went I'd definitely wear socks with my sandals to fit in. 

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

My late grandfather used to love his trips to Malta. Was stationed out there in the war. He'd wear his brown "jesus sandles" with white socks, bum bag because he didn't trust the locals, dressed head to toe in khaki. Imagine the stereotypical British tourist and you've got him in one. It was the only place he would go 😂.

Maybe it is because that is the impression I have in my head whenever I hear Malta but it always sticks with me. If I ever went I'd definitely wear socks with my sandals to fit in. 

I’m slightly put off because it seems to Want to be more British than Britain 

Malta is unrecognisable in every sense from the place it was when I first came here.

In 2002, it was like being transported to a second childhood including travelling on the buses which used to run the East/West routes either side of Corporation Park and an old Darwen Corporation vehicle. Not kidding but those were the "new" buses compared with the rest of the Maltese bus fleet. Everything about the place felt like a time travel back to my 1960's childhood including grim food.

Today, societally, demographically, physically, economically, gastronomically it is difficult to imagine how Malta could be more different. We have gone from 1960 to 2020 in twenty years and amazingly the island has not gone completely insane. GDP increasing by 80% and public debt falling from 80% to 40% between 2013 and 2019 has helped of course.

We have even been through criminal capture of the State and seem to be coming through and out of that horrific time. 

It is why I am screaming about what is happening in the UK- the same processes which were used to achieve the strategic corruption of Malta are being used and are happening in the UK right now. Thankfully, Malta had the corrective force of the EU. Britain has been taken by the mobsters out of the EU for the precise purpose of avoiding such corrective pressure. I believe the deep State and institutions of the UK are strong enough (certainly compared with an island of 400,000) for Johnson's mafia enterprise to be stopped but like in Malta, it is going to be a damned close call. 

I've not been for a number of years, 1996 was the last time I was on the island, but the overwhelming feeling I got was that warm welcome feeling for the English was wearing a little thin, the place was then very pro-Italian.

I'm not sure if thats linked to the local mafia, plenty of corruption on the islands these days, but it wasn't the place it once was.

R rate gone above 1 in London.

Nowt to do with those protests 2 weeks ago obviously. 

Just wait for the Bournmouth beach effect.

Posted (edited)

Cornwalls open tomorrow, preparing for a local spike

Edited by DeeCee

Six and a half hours and you can get down the boozer and drinking yourself into oblivion, good old Boris, the PM of the people.

The safe money says stay at home, social distance If you need to go out and stop the spread of this killer virus.

Quick trip to the butchers for me then back home, bollox to the pub.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Six and a half hours and you can get down the boozer and drinking yourself into oblivion, good old Boris, the PM of the people.

The safe money says stay at home, social distance If you need to go out and stop the spread of this killer virus.

Dunno, I love a can or a bottle, but I’ve really missed a proper pint...

14 hours ago, philipl said:

Malta is unrecognisable in every sense from the place it was when I first came here.

In 2002, it was like being transported to a second childhood including travelling on the buses which used to run the East/West routes either side of Corporation Park and an old Darwen Corporation vehicle. Not kidding but those were the "new" buses compared with the rest of the Maltese bus fleet. Everything about the place felt like a time travel back to my 1960's childhood including grim food.

Today, societally, demographically, physically, economically, gastronomically it is difficult to imagine how Malta could be more different. We have gone from 1960 to 2020 in twenty years and amazingly the island has not gone completely insane. GDP increasing by 80% and public debt falling from 80% to 40% between 2013 and 2019 has helped of course.

We have even been through criminal capture of the State and seem to be coming through and out of that horrific time. 

It is why I am screaming about what is happening in the UK- the same processes which were used to achieve the strategic corruption of Malta are being used and are happening in the UK right now. Thankfully, Malta had the corrective force of the EU. Britain has been taken by the mobsters out of the EU for the precise purpose of avoiding such corrective pressure. I believe the deep State and institutions of the UK are strong enough (certainly compared with an island of 400,000) for Johnson's mafia enterprise to be stopped but like in Malta, it is going to be a damned close call. 

Give it a rest, Philip. Malta is totally corrupt and has been for decades.  I know we have a set of tossers in charge at the moment, but please don't try to denigrate our country constantly. 

10 hours ago, Gav said:

Have at least one beer over the next week or so Gav, support your local. Our local landlady has only opened to regulars so all taking it upon ourselves to spend a few quid in there over the weekend. 

A bit late with this comment, but had to laugh at Trump the other day telling the world that he looked like the Lone Ranger with his black mask on. It had to be pointed out that the Lone Ranger wore his mask over his eyes 😀.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Have at least one beer over the next week or so Gav, support your local. Our local landlady has only opened to regulars so all taking it upon ourselves to spend a few quid in there over the weekend. 

I do understand the sentiment Dreams, I'm all for putting a few quid in the pockets of the local landlord/landlady, especially during these tough times.

(Apologies for sounding like a right old ****** here, but.....)

From a public health point of view its still not safe to be mixing in pubs, churches, mosques, supermarkets, especially in the North where the infection rates are climbing.

I'm not criticising anyone, its personal choice, but I'll be staying in and thinking to myself "how good must Dreams and K-Hods pints be tasting"  :( :D

Edited by Gav

Churches are generally not opening for services. You cant really do church without singing, especially if like me you're a Methodist, and singing requires 5m distancing. Weve looked at the current recommendations and cant see ourselves opening before September at the earliest and even then well be taking every precaution. Well probably carry on running a parallel service on Zoom too. We send service sheets with links to hymns out to those who cant join us on Zoom at the moment. Weve had upwards of 80 people every week online and several times 100 +.  We also do a daily prayer on Facebook and have started recording those to go with the words and visuals we already did. 

36 minutes ago, Gav said:

I do understand the sentiment Dreams, I'm all for putting a few quid in the pockets of the local landlord/landlady, especially during these tough times.

(Apologies for sounding like a right old ****** here, but.....)

From a public health point of view its still not safe to be mixing in pubs, churches, mosques, supermarkets, especially in the North where the infection rates are climbing.

I'm not criticising anyone, its personal choice, but I'll be staying in and thinking to myself "how good must Dreams and K-Hods pints be tasting"  :( :D

Gav - actually they are not on the latest data. Following the release of pillar 2 data the rate of positive cases for Lancashire* has gone down from 15 per 100,000 to 7.4 as of 28th June and is one of the lowest in the country.

* Lancashire in this case excludes Blackburn with Darwen - numbers there are higher but also reducing from 32.9 to 20.8.

As everyone piles back into the pubs today (or not) let us all give thanks to the leaders of this nation

Image may contain: 3 people, text that says "65,000+ deaths, economy ruined, 20% of care home residents infected, highest death rate in Europe, abject failure to develop track and trace app, Tory advisers openly flaunting public safety rules, 2nd wave incoming... HBUT ELLAND INTERNATIONAL NLOBUTT DEER V DEFENDER Cheers Everybody!"