9 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

I bet that picture of the three scumbags was taken in a Wetherspoons pub.

I'll bet they tossed the beer down the sink immediately the photo was taken as well!

On 04/07/2020 at 00:47, K-Hod said:

Dunno, I love a can or a bottle, but I’ve really missed a proper pint...

On 04/07/2020 at 10:17, Dreams of 1995 said:

Have at least one beer over the next week or so Gav, support your local. Our local landlady has only opened to regulars so all taking it upon ourselves to spend a few quid in there over the weekend. 

How did you 2 get on down the pub?

Were people social distancing? Did the beer taste as good as I’m imagined it would? 

58 minutes ago, Gav said:

Were people social distancing? Did the beer taste as good as I’m imagined it would? 

Very good ta. 
Lot out, lovely tasting beer. Few scuffles though sadly....

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Very good ta. 
Lot out, lovely tasting beer. Few scuffles though sadly....

Nowt wrong with a few scuffles, as long as they were social distancing.

Another 27,000 excess deaths likely if UK continues on this path

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-27-000-excess-deaths-likely-between-now-and-next-april-warns-former-government-adviser-12021625

Will Johnson follow the science as he claimed to be doing in the early stages of the pandemic or will he continue opening up the economy as he was told to by big business and Tory donors?

Will the "Superman of capitalism" stick to his guns and or perform yet another U-turn?

Does he care?

7 hours ago, Gav said:

My local pub hasn't open and isn't doing so. Landlord says at the current time he isnt doing. He will wait and see if restrictions are lifted even more first. 

Was walking in Hertfordshire today and stopped for a pint. Very orderly and well prepared. I think as long as the weathers good and people are outside there isn't really a problem.

What we do come September is the question. Don't think anyone has a real answer to that yet.

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

My local pub hasn't open and isn't doing so. Landlord says at the current time he isnt doing. He will wait and see if restrictions are lifted even more first. 

That’s a very sensible approach Chaddy, sadly many publicans and people in the service industry are struggling to survive, I can’t blame them for opening.

Edited by Gav

1 minute ago, Gav said:

That’s a very sensible approach Chaddy, sadly many publicans and people in the service industry are struggling to survive, I can’t blame them for opening.

He has took sensible approach due to number of factors like picking and chosen who can could in. Pub is normal very busy at weekend. Quality food there. 

Yes businesses have to reopen cos they are going to bust otherwise it will mass unemployment all over the country. We need to kick start the economy now.

Chancellor to do a mini budget in including schemes for under 25's. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12034637/chancellor-young-brits-coronavirus-jobs-plan/

I believe Rochdale town centre was busy last night but when I walked past the main drinking areas it was deadly quiet this afternoon. The council have paid for outdoor furniture and they've erected several large semi-permanent gazebos outside some of the pubs but they were empty. You'd have to be a keen drinker to sit outside in a gale.

https://news.sky.com/story/former-head-of-mi6-says-theory-coronavirus-was-made-in-wuhan-lab-must-not-be-dismissed-as-conspiracy-12021693

In Australia, Professor Nikolai Petrovsky at Flinders University is also keeping an open mind.

He said normally a virus that jumps from an animal takes time to become good at infecting a human.

"Whereas what appears to have happened with COVID-19 is from day one it was perfectly adapted to infect humans and to transmit between humans which is why it's been such a big problem," he said.

"So then you have to ask: well, how did that happen?

"One possibility of course is that it was just a massive fluke... The other possibility that you have to consider in terms of where its origins may come from is: Has this virus seen human cells before in a situation we simply weren't aware of? And so one of those situations would be if the virus had been growing in human cells in the laboratory."

21 hours ago, Gav said:

Even better. 

Social distancing generally observed. Obviously the later it got the less it became an issue. In general pubs managed it quite well I'd say. 

In personal terms I have smashed the screen on my phone (them tempered glass screen protectors are shite) and still feel rough today. Not a bad weekend. 

14 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

He has took sensible approach due to number of factors like picking and chosen who can could in. Pub is normal very busy at weekend. Quality food there. 

Yes businesses have to reopen cos they are going to bust otherwise it will mass unemployment all over the country. We need to kick start the economy now.

Chancellor to do a mini budget in including schemes for under 25's. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12034637/chancellor-young-brits-coronavirus-jobs-plan/

How can you say that businesses need to reopen to stop them going bust and to kickstart the economy, but you don't advocate your local reopening and won't step foot in a pub till its 'safe'?

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

How can you say that businesses need to reopen to stop them going bust and to kickstart the economy, but you don't advocate your local reopening and won't step foot in a pub till its 'safe'?

My local pub landlord has his reasons for not reopening at this stage. 

I am using local shops like Butchers and Fruit/Veg. Plus I have order from local Restaurants and had it delivered. So I would say I am doing my part by buying local and when buying online it from UK Companies

Edited by chaddyrovers

20 hours ago, Silas said:

https://news.sky.com/story/former-head-of-mi6-says-theory-coronavirus-was-made-in-wuhan-lab-must-not-be-dismissed-as-conspiracy-12021693

In Australia, Professor Nikolai Petrovsky at Flinders University is also keeping an open mind.

He said normally a virus that jumps from an animal takes time to become good at infecting a human.

"Whereas what appears to have happened with COVID-19 is from day one it was perfectly adapted to infect humans and to transmit between humans which is why it's been such a big problem," he said.

"So then you have to ask: well, how did that happen?

"One possibility of course is that it was just a massive fluke... The other possibility that you have to consider in terms of where its origins may come from is: Has this virus seen human cells before in a situation we simply weren't aware of? And so one of those situations would be if the virus had been growing in human cells in the laboratory."

I've said on here numerous times that I believe this to be man made due to the structure of the virus. Perhaps this is a bit of evidence.. 

Stopped by the local this afternoon - needed an early finish after saturdays antics. Landlady told me she made about as much as on a normal, event free weekend but with the stress of a New Years Eve. That’s a shame because she’s a diamond. Weirdly there was a big problem with underage drinkers trying to get in.

You have to wonder whether the balance of risk and reward was thought through, but nonetheless earning an average weekends takings is better than none. Much better weather this weekend and she has permission to turn the car park into a larger beer garden - I only hope that doesn’t bring out the worst in people. 

The journalists were out in force on the weekend. A sun/Daily Mail feeelance journo took a photo of us enjoying our first pint (we didn’t make the cut) and openly admitted we probably wouldn’t because he was looking for more controversial photos. After a bit of stick he went on his merry way to try and ruin other people’s fun. 

Interesting point my other half raised, how does it work when we get to regular cold and flu season? Everyone gets a little cough or similar covid like symptoms. Youd assume that if we still have to self isolate, the vast majority of the population will self isolate October to december.

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Stopped by the local this afternoon - needed an early finish after saturdays antics. Landlady told me she made about as much as on a normal, event free weekend but with the stress of a New Years Eve. That’s a shame because she’s a diamond. Weirdly there was a big problem with underage drinkers trying to get in.

You have to wonder whether the balance of risk and reward was thought through, but nonetheless earning an average weekends takings is better than none. Much better weather this weekend and she has permission to turn the car park into a larger beer garden - I only hope that doesn’t bring out the worst in people. 

The journalists were out in force on the weekend. A sun/Daily Mail feeelance journo took a photo of us enjoying our first pint (we didn’t make the cut) and openly admitted we probably wouldn’t because he was looking for more controversial photos. After a bit of stick he went on his merry way to try and ruin other people’s fun. 

Restaurants (places that don't serve food can't open yet, but it's a short list of places that are still shut due to all sorts of rule bending) have been doing that where I live since reopening started at the end of May (next phase is on pause for the mo though). It's a good idea if you ask me. Being outdoors is a sight better than being inside.

A bloke I know is in the commercial food supply business. He says that it's like the wild west. Restaurant owners have been gobbling up as much outdoor space as they can and have been quickly rigging up pergolas, sails, temporary roofs, lights, you name it to increase outdoor capacity. The local health department is responsible for oversight but are turning a blind eye to it all at the moment.

The local council also used the pandemic to pass a law that closes most of downtown to traffic Thursday to Sunday. Each restaurant is now allotted a portion of the street in front of their establishment where they can serve customers. Good weather is a factor but it has started really well and should have been done years ago. 

Separately, here's a snippet from The Lancet that essentially says that you can't catch the virus from surfaces; The Lancet - "the chance of transmission through inanimate surfaces is very small".

I've always thought this. People carry it not objects.

Except if you read the stuff from Singapore they're pretty sure that it was caught from someone sitting on the chair in church that an infected person had sat on

41 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

Interesting point my other half raised, how does it work when we get to regular cold and flu season? Everyone gets a little cough or similar covid like symptoms. Youd assume that if we still have to self isolate, the vast majority of the population will self isolate October to december.

It’s a live issue Dom - Simon Stevens raised it yesterday. SAGE suggested earlier in the year that everyone in the population should have a flu jab, but that was deemed impractical. The Government has at least ordered a lot more jabs for once but it’s yet to be agreed who will be entitled to one over and above these who usually are. 
Another issue is that the flu vaccine is a bit of a lottery each year - the formula for each year is a bit of a guess as to which strain will be dominant. That’s one reason why flu outbreaks can vary in intensity from year to year as well as the weather. Last winter there was very little, partly because of mild weather and partly the flu vaccine worked. Who knows this winter.

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I've said on here numerous times that I believe this to be man made due to the structure of the virus. Perhaps this is a bit of evidence.. 

But the Professor quoted is one man and says he is keeping an open mind. You entered this debate convinced it was man-made without the evidence.

Most of us believe in incompetence first, conspiracy second!

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, 47er said:

But the Professor quoted is one man and says he is keeping an open mind. You entered this debate convinced it was man-made without the evidence.

Most of us believe in incompetence first, conspiracy second!

Thats rubbish, with respect.  I did back up my assertion.  If i need to find the paper to satisfy you I probably could.  Its a.widely held view in medical circles 

Edited by Sparks Rover