The virus is running wild through the Asian community due to large families living together in rows of tightly packed terraced housing in towns like of Blackburn. The mosques have been superb throughout the pandemic only opening recently and observing lockdown through Ramadan and EID celebrations.

The rise in cases is not because Asian families are ignoring the advice, it’s due to their living circumstances.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

The virus is running wild through the Asian community due to large families living together in rows of tightly packed terraced housing in towns like of Blackburn. The mosques have been superb throughout the pandemic only opening recently and observing lockdown through Ramadan and EID celebrations.

The rise in cases is not because Asian families are ignoring the advice, it’s due to their living circumstances.

They do shake hands a lot

4 hours ago, gumboots said:

Churches are holding services, if they are holding them at all, without singing. The Methodist Church has sent out very detailed information on what is allowed and not allowed. Full risk assessments have to be done before we can allow anyone on our premises. 5 metre spacing if you want to sing. All chairs have to be removed after every service, cleaned and not reused for at least 72 hours and preferably longer. The preacher has to stand still at the front of church. People wishing to attend would need to book in advance, be met at the door with hand sanitizer etc, be shown to their seats filling in from the front first. The list is endless and goes into immense detail. We've decided not before late September at the earliest and realistically not before Christmas

My wife had to fill out a risk assessment for Orthodox services to go ahead in the church she attends, pretty much the same as you've said. In a way, she's quite relieved, as now she doesn't have to be part of the choir, and she'll be able to get home earlier now that the post service buffet has disappeared.

She did show me scenes of a service in Kyiv. No social distancing, kissing icons, wandering around lighting candles without masks. It's a wonder cases haven't rocketed there recently.

Thankfully, British children aren't the guinea pigs.

Testing in Florida is revealing a third of the children in school have the virus.

Those with the virus are showing lung abnormalities associated with lifelong pulminory problems.

These are preliminary findings but again the implications of this if confirmed are hard to comprehend.

In a highly litigious politicised place like Florida apparently the local Republicans are in emergency meetings over what polling results among parents and women in particular are telling them.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, philipl said:

Testing in Florida is revealing a third of the children in school have the virus.

Those with the virus are showing lung abnormalities associated with lifelong pulminory problems.

These are preliminary findings but again the implications of this if confirmed are hard to comprehend.

In a highly litigious politicised place like Florida apparently the local Republicans are in emergency meetings over what polling results among parents and women in particular are telling them.

It's a key state when it comes to Presidential elections.

Did you read George Monbiot's article yesterday Philip ? It bears out much of what you were saying about the corrupt practices going on in the provision of PPE etc. " Private Eye " are on the case also.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's a key state when it comes to Presidential elections.

Did you read George Monbiot's article yesterday Philip ? It bears out much of what you were saying about the corrupt practices going on in the provision of PPE etc. " Private Eye " are on the case also.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic?CMP=share_btn_tw

This one?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, philipl said:

Warfarin shares will be surging

Edited by Sparks Rover

Good news that the Jenner Institute have teamed with a key team in the US to push challenger trials. 

If antibodies work ( and it will be a first for this family of viruses if they do) then the Oxford team are potentially pulling into 1st equal in the vaccine race.

Russia 'tries to steal coronavirus vaccine': US, UK and Canada accuse Moscow of sanctioning a wave of 'despicable' cyber raids on companies and universities involved in crucial research

https://mol.im/a/8530013

2 hours ago, philipl said:

2 questions were asked in the House of Commons this morning in questions to Gove and the Cabinet ministers. Did you see this?  Paymaster general Penny Mordaunt said if the shadow minister is unhappy about the awarded of contracts they are formal procedures to follow. Michael Gove, dismissed the Guardian article.

The company Public first has a Former Labour MP who was deputy speaker in the House of Commons in her time there as part of company which conveniently the article doesn't mention. I wonder why? The former MP name is Natascha Engel. 

https://www.prweek.com/article/1589718/public-first-hires-former-house-commons-deputy-speaker

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Michael Gove, dismissed the Guardian article.

As opposed to coming out and saying "yeah we gave money to our mates." 

Posted (edited)

Sir Patrick Valance saying the government was told to lock down a week before they actually. did.

Following the science my backside.

Timing it perfectly my a**e.

Edited by den

1 hour ago, den said:

Sir Patrick Valance saying the government was told to lock down a week before they actually. did.

Following the science my backside.

Timing it perfectly my a**e.

Just to be clear he wasn’t actually sure when SAGE gave the advice, but he ‘Thinks’ it was around a week before, but we know now that they couldn’t just lockdown immediately, for the reasons already discussed earlier in this thread.

But one thing we all agree on, we could have saved lives had we known more, lessons must be learnt. 

Posted (edited)

Sir Patrick Vallance exact comments

But Sir Patrick suggested today that the draconian restrictions should have been imposed a week earlier. 

The expert said a 'series of steps in the run-up to lockdown' had been taken, starting with the self-isolation of people returning to the UK from China.

He continued: 'When the SAGE sub-group on modelling, SPI-M, saw that the doubling time had gone down to three days - which was in the middle of March - that's when the advice that SAGE issued was the remainder of the measures should be introduced as soon as possible. 

'And that advice, I think, was given on the 18th of March or the 16th of March. But that's when those data became available. 

'Looking back, you can see the data may have preceded that but the data were not available before that - that knowledge of the three-day doubling rate became evident during that week before.' 

Edited by chaddyrovers

The dog bites back. You can't shift the blame for when it all goes wrong onto the "scientific advice" and then expect the scientists not to speak their mind.

Delaying the shutdown for a week while Johnson faffed about - doubling the number of cases, and perhaps causing another 10,000 dead. Without these two monumental mistakes, the death toll would have been pretty much the same as France's.  

Well done Sir Patrick.

we know that Imperial college modelling run by Neil Ferguson was published on 16th March on the number of deaths the UK. I have previously posted the report from him. 

Posted (edited)

Another world beating deal from Bo Jo

Exclusive: AstraZeneca Could Price Poor Out Of Covid Vaccine After Pandemic, Warns Trial Volunteer

https://tinyurl.com/yy86hz2s

Edited by jodrell

Johnson....  we have taken “the right decisions at the right time”.

Valance.... It’s clear that the outcome has not been good in the UK. There are many factors that are going to play in this….and there will be decisions made that will turn out not to have been the right decisions at the time.”‌

I absolutely know who I believe. Scientists don’t have a history of lieing, this government does.

2 minutes ago, den said:

Johnson....  we have taken “the right decisions at the right time”.

Valance.... It’s clear that the outcome has not been good in the UK. There are many factors that are going to play in this….and there will be decisions made that will turn out not to have been the right decisions at the time.”‌

I absolutely know who I believe. Scientists don’t have a history of lieing, this government does.

At the time I was happy to give the government the benefit of the doubt with timing and stuff because I was under the impression they were following scientific advice to the letter. As it's now coming out, they weren't its just another example of the arrogance of this government. 

Not sure why the scientists were keen to play happy families with the politicians at the time though? 

26 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

At the time I was happy to give the government the benefit of the doubt with timing and stuff because I was under the impression they were following scientific advice to the letter. As it's now coming out, they weren't its just another example of the arrogance of this government. 

Not sure why the scientists were keen to play happy families with the politicians at the time though? 

They probably thought it was in the countries interests to stay with it rather than walk away. As I would always expect of scientists though the truth will always emerge.