Jump to content

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, den said:

They probably thought it was in the countries interests to stay with it rather than walk away. As I would always expect of scientists though the truth will always emerge.

That and some of them were partial to a bit of time in the limelight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparks Rover said:

This sounds like a con job to me.  

It suggests all figures are currently utterly meaningless . 
move said all along give us the stats about who it actually killed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53441912

Johnson wants people to commute on public transport into cities and towns every day, thus spreading the virus in order to save the landlords of Britain’s rentier economy.

“Some will say this is too optimistic and the risks are too great,”  said the oaf

Presumably, the “some” are those who know what they are talking about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Inglorious basturk said:

It suggests all figures are currently utterly meaningless . 
move said all along give us the stats about who it actually killed

Reading in detail it suggests there will be a modest reduction in number of deaths attributed to Covid, but not a huge impact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, joey_big_nose said:

Reading in detail it suggests there will be a modest reduction in number of deaths attributed to Covid, but not a huge impact.

It’s not accurate though is it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Inglorious basturk said:

It’s not accurate though is it 

I think the goal of the review will be to make it more accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that arch Tory Fraser Nelson has emerged from up Johnson's back passage to write an article in todays " Torygraph " criticising the Johnson gang for their abject failure in dealing with the crisis. When the likes of Nelson are turning you know there's trouble ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

I think the goal of the review will be to make it more accurate.

Yes exactly . Really ought to have been from the beginning 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53441912

Johnson wants people to commute on public transport into cities and towns every day, thus spreading the virus in order to save the landlords of Britain’s rentier economy.

“Some will say this is too optimistic and the risks are too great,”  said the oaf

Presumably, the “some” are those who know what they are talking about?

eg Sir Patrick Vallence. Urging people not to go back to their workplace if they can work from home while Johnson urges the opposite.

Yet some will still say the government "was following the science".  :rock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 47er said:

eg Sir Patrick Vallence. Urging people not to go back to their workplace if they can work from home while Johnson urges the opposite.

Yet some will still say the government "was following the science".  :rock:

Don’t worry , they have been winging it as I thought , likely aware it wasn’t that bad but Money is to be made . See above and enjoy your free bus pass 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

" It'll be all over by Christmas ", now were have I heard that before ? Johnson is a dangerous idiot. It's a toss up between  him and Trump as to who is the most full of shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

" It'll be all over by Christmas ", now were have I heard that before ? Johnson is a dangerous idiot. It's a toss up between  him and Trump as to who is the most full of shit.

Come on, I'd take Johnson a trillion times over Trump. Johnson has many faults, and I would never vote for him or his party, but he has always during Covid pursued a strategy within the softer end of what is scientifically recommended. His main crime is being slow to take action. And to be honest we are in a situation now where we have the virus under a decent level of control and have the framework to sustain that control.*

Trump on the other hand has actively undermined the entire US government response to the pandemic and as a result they are in the midst of a huge crisis of their own making.

It's doesn't bear comparison.

*Edit - I know some people are going to say "it might be okay now but just wait till the Winter, track and trace won't work etc". All I would say is if the infection rate inumbers start to look worrying we will go back into lockdown. It makes perfect sense to me to slowly release the lockdown and monitor the data and respond to that. We can't continue to lockdown the whole country when there are only around 30k are actively infected (0.05% of the population).

The only way we would get into serious trouble is if the government did not lock down in the face of a second spike, but I believe they will.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, joey_big_nose said:

Come on, I'd take Johnson a trillion times over Trump. Johnson has many faults, and I would never vote for him or his party, but he has always during Covid pursued a strategy within the softer end of what is scientifically recommended. His main crime is being slow to take action. And to be honest we are in a situation now where we have the virus under a decent level of control and have the framework to sustain that control.*

Trump on the other hand has actively undermined the entire US government response to the pandemic and as a result they are in the midst of a huge crisis of their own making.

It's doesn't bear comparison.

*Edit - I know some people are going to say "it might be okay now but just wait till the Winter, track and trace won't work etc". All I would say is if the infection rate inumbers start to look worrying we will go back into lockdown. It makes perfect sense to me to slowly release the lockdown and monitor the data and respond to that. We can't continue to lockdown the whole country when there are only around 30k are actively infected (0.05% of the population).

The only way we would get into serious trouble is if the government did not lock down in the face of a second spike, but I believe they will.

If our ability to deal with the virus crisis is reliant on Johnson's ability to be in command of the situation we're in real trouble. The man is a bumbling buffoon. Almost every announcement he makes is either u turned away almost immediately or he's contradicted by the people who really know what's going on. Just listen to todays news for conformation of that.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If our ability to deal with the virus crisis is reliant on Johnson's ability to be in command of the situation we're in real trouble. The man is a bumbling buffoon. Almost every announcement he makes is either u turned away almost immediately or he's contradicted by the people who really know what's going on. Just listen to todays news for conformation of that.

Hey, he's a buffoon. Not doubting that at all. But also hes vastly vastly better than Trump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utter utter incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new Covid reality is coming into view.

1) 50% plus of office workers are never going back

2) public transport is permanently damaged but the extent is yet to be understood

3) business and first class flight sales are 50% down permanently

These factors are leading to long reaching decisions- airlines are re-shaping their personnel and fleet requirements now for instance. Hundreds of thousands of jobs disappearing globally.

This means that airline manufacturers will have a massive job to persuade airlines to accept any aircraft in the next two years slaughtering the aviation OEM and components industries.

Cafes and restaurants no longer have a viable business model. Mid size chains are failing one after another. These are very high employers of labour. A chain of 80 outlets closing is leading to 2,000 direct redundancies plus all the associated suppliers being hit.

Commercial property ownership is simply going to be a horror story for the foreseeable future- capital values are collapsing and income becoming extinct. Tenants can't pay won't pay. Because this was seen as safe, the impact on pension funds and financial services will be severe.

If you have office, hotel, retail development in plan, stop it! Immediately.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philipl said:

The new Covid reality is coming into view.

public transport is permanently damaged but the extent is yet to be understood

 

Not in Lancashire it isn't, £750k pumped into local bus services, many new routes starting today across the region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lsp82 said:

Utter utter incompetence.

Shocking, horrifying, indefensible, staggering. 

Being PM  is not a bloody joke Johnson but you are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gav said:

Not in Lancashire it isn't, £750k pumped into local bus services, many new routes starting today across the region.

Who's going to use them? Buses are empty most of the time atm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gumboots said:

Who's going to use them? Buses are empty most of the time atm.

People over time when More shops and businesses are open and people get their confidence back and social distancing/face masks are a thing of the past plus hopefully a vaccine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm entitled to a free bus pass and I wont be using any form of public transport at any time in the near future. Buses and trains were pretty dirty to start with and never run when you need them eg the last train from Manchester to Clitheroe leaves Victoria before the end of theatre performances. I dont think they'll be any cleaner any time soon and I dont want to sit for hours on a bus or train wearing a mask. If I have to wear one to go into a shop I'll do so provided it's in, purchase and out. Kim will have to do supermarket shopping as I dont fancy wearing a mask for the time I'd need to do my weekly shop. But on a bus or train of tram, no thanks. Vaccine? I'll believe it when I see it and even then I'd need to be very sure it was safe AND effective.  I've never had a flu vaccine because you have to keep renewing them and most people who have them seem to get ill anyway. If you dont NEED to go anywhere on public transport, why would you? I know it's better for the environment, but not in any other way. I was moving towards using public transport more, but I've changed my mind. I'll try to find other ways of going green

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gumboots said:

Who's going to use them? Buses are empty most of the time atm.

New bus route direct from Ribble Valley to Blackburn hospital now gumboots, long overdue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.