Saw it the other day. Fine if you're visiting but I wouldn't go by bus for a check up. I have friends who will probably use it but while I can I'll be in my car. 

3 hours ago, gumboots said:

Who's going to use them? Buses are empty most of the time atm.

I've got a bus stop just outside my drive. The buses are empty, one passenger if you're lucky. For some reason they've started putting double deckers on the route most of the time now ! Maybe you can claim a bigger subsidy from the government ?

Britain races to secure vaccine treatments
https%3A%2F%2Fip-ep-ftcom-manual.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fb6248617-da29-40b1-a588-6933f887b055?source=ip-ep-eme-api Cat Rutter Pooley
July 20, 2020

A busy day for Covid-19 vaccine news. Two developments today tie Britain to international players in the Covid-19 vaccine race. First, there is the news that the UK has become the first country to secure supply of a potential vaccine developed by Germany’s BioNTech and US pharma giant Pfizer. Britain has signed up for 30m doses to be delivered over the next two years, as well as another 60m doses of a different vaccine from Valneva of France.

And second, FTSE 100 group GlaxoSmithKline has this morning announced that it is taking a 10 per cent stake in BioNTech rival CureVac, another German biotech developing a vaccine. GSK will invest £130m (€150m) for the equity stake, a month after the German government spent €300m on a 23 per cent stake in CureVac following reports it had attracted interest from the Trump administration.

GSK and CureVac are also set to collaborate on the special type of technology used by CureVac - mRNA technology - which can help develop vaccines far more quickly than traditional methods. GSK will pay £104m in cash upfront, and could make regulatory and commercial milestone payments of up to €700m depending on product sales, but the collaboration won’t cover CureVac’s existing Covid-19 mRNA and rabies vaccine research programmes.

Finally, there’s also a vaccine update from Synairgen - a small drug development group which this morning reported positive results from a clinical trial of its drug SNG001. Patients who received the treatment had a 79 per cent lower risk of developing severe disease, and were more than twice as likely to recover from Covid-19 compared to those on the placebo, Synairgen said.

Long and short of it- Brexit is a very sick joke

Tbf atleast we're giving money to companies that are producing a vaccine. That shows an improvement from the PPE procurements. Just be grateful the headline wasnt a £2bn contract with Boris's local artisan Baker for production of a vaccine. 

Oxford university and AstraZeneca will.publish its data results in the lancet from phase 1 of its trials 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Long and short of it- Brexit is a very sick joke

Trying to find a vaccine has nothing to brexit but working with international interests to get a vaccine for the world

FIL has just told me Germany offered us the source code for their Test and Trace app months ago, yet we chose instead to give Cummings' mates £millions to fail to reinvent the wheel.

Just heard that symptoms in younger people can be irritation to the eye or a rash on your finger, both of which we've experienced in our family, seemed to come out of the blue. The rash often remains after you've had covid19 which is certainly evident in one of our family households who have had Covid. 

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its impossible to say its safe after such a brief testing period.  Fair to say they have cut a few normal corners to get this through.   I hope that there's no serious long term problems which would have manifested with a normal testing period.  

Its like the whacky races with all the different countries and Pharma firms dying to get it out....its a worry

55 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Its impossible to say its safe after such a brief testing period.  Fair to say they have cut a few normal corners to get this through.   I hope that there's no serious long term problems which would have manifested with a normal testing period.  

Its like the whacky races with all the different countries and Pharma firms dying to get it out....its a worry

I agree with that. The FDA is the USA is fast tracking anything that looks remotely plausible either for a vaccine or treatment. 

The speed at which this stage has been reached is remarkable though. A lot of effort and brainpower is being used in one place rather than all over the shop. 

The vaccine will help but it's not coming tomorrow, so other mitigation methods will need to occur until one is safe, ready, and has the logistical set up to get it to populations. Having a vaccine is great, but if people can't or won't get one it's useless.

As a side, are anti-vaxxers a big group in the UK? They've wreaked havoc over here. Typically well off mums with too much time and too much ego have caused no end of problems.

There are anti-vaxxers in the UK although not I think as prevalent as in the US. We exported our more notorious one, Andrew Wakefield, to you.

They could be a significant stumbling block to the effectiveness of any vaccine even if it works.

Just now, only2garners said:

There are anti-vaxxers in the UK although not I think as prevalent as in the US. We exported our more notorious one, Andrew Wakefield, to you.

They could be a significant stumbling block to the effectiveness of any vaccine even if it works.

There are quite a few of them knocking about and they love a 5G conspiracy theory. 
There was a vice interview with a few of them and they put tin foil around their mobiles. 
Absolute whoppers, the lot of them.

51 minutes ago, only2garners said:

What a complete nutter he is, stripped of his license to practice over here after falsely claiming a link between MMR and Autism which resulted in thousands of parents refusing the allow kids to have MMR, putting those kids lives at risk.

Now getting an audience in US and making a few quid in the process, no surprise he's anti Covid vaccine, he's also bonkers. 

4 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

The UK's most senior nurse axed from coronavirus briefings because she didn't tow the government line or back Dominic Cummings

https://www.ft.com/content/055cde96-0b62-4265-b43e-4059db1f0041

Britain no better than China or Russia. We didn't used to be like this. 

Yes, the other chief nurse has been on QT as few times dissing the government.  Slating Cummings etc...

They've managed to alienate all the medics across the board on this

With Blackburn mosque hitting the headlines over the weekend for misunderstand the guidance on prayers/funerals, we today have Jack Charltons funeral with hundreds lining the streets of his home town to rightly pay their respects, this on top of thousand of Leeds/Liverpool fans celebrating title wins....

How can government, the scientists or local government lay down the law on whats right and whats wrong with so many people flouting the rules?

Its turned into a free for all, simply impossible to manage.

3 minutes ago, Gav said:

With Blackburn mosque hitting the headlines over the weekend for misunderstand the guidance on prayers/funerals, we today have Jack Charltons funeral with hundreds lining the streets of his home town to rightly pay their respects, this on top of thousand of Leeds/Liverpool fans celebrating title wins....

How can government, the scientists or local government lay down the law on whats right and whats wrong with so many people flouting the rules?

Its turned into a free for all, simply impossible to manage.

I'm not disputing your notion that it's impossible to manage but the funeral is an easy one to tut tut at. It was inside, the imam ended up getting it, and it happened in a hotspot. This all makes it more clear cut than folk lining the streets.

Chris Whitty the chief medical officer has today told a commons select committee of MP's that the government followed the lock down advise and did not delay implementing lock down.

Bottom line is, the government DID follow the SAGE advice and locked down when requested.

1 hour ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I'm not disputing your notion that it's impossible to manage but the funeral is an easy one to tut tut at. It was inside, the imam ended up getting it, and it happened in a hotspot. This all makes it more clear cut than folk lining the streets.

The funeral seems to have been a misunderstanding of the rules, not a blatant flouting by the sound of things.

The mosques and Asian communities have been superb throughout this pandemic here in UK, especially with Ramadan and Eid falling smack bang in the heat of the pandemic, it would be silly to flout the restrictions now in my opinion, I do believe it was a genuine mistake. 

I'd also add that Leeds is the middle of many towns and Citys that have ever increasing infection rates in the UK, major hotspots.

2 minutes ago, Gav said:

Chris Whitty the chief medical officer has today told a commons select committee of MP's that the government followed the lock down advise and did not delay implementing lock down.

Bottom line is, the government DID follow the SAGE advice and locked down when requested.

No they didn’t.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, Gav said:

Whitty and Harries being economical with the truth, hiding behind the truth.

Lewis Goodall.... “

Whitty on care homes: “we hadn’t recognised what in retrospect are obvious but were not recognised at the time. Eg, people who were working at multiple homes. People w/o sick leave etc.”

On Newsnight, night after night, we were reporting on these exact issues from late March.

Goodall again... “I’m really surprised by the line taken by Whitty/Harries. If they genuinely believe these weren’t issues known at the time, then govt truly was completely cut off from what was going on on the ground, because it took about 2 mins talking to care home managers before they came up.”.

“The idea that these issues weren’t known is preposterous.”.

Patrick Valance gave us the truth last week when he said there was a weeks delay between SAGE telling the govt to lock down and the govt actually doing it. Hancock told us there was no delay, saying advice to stay out of pubs was the lockdown. Which is obviously another lie. Suggesting people might not want to go to the pub isn’t a lockdown. Closing the pubs IS a lockdown.

Edited by den

Why would Chris Whitty tell lies den? This is the UK's chief medical officer.

It has been posted on here numerous times that both him and Valance have been removed from the daily briefings, are giving advice thats being ignored by the government, hardly on the governments side.

What reason would Whitty have to tell lies for the government?