Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mike E said:

First you (incorrectly) tell her how to challenge an MP, now she's not holidaying properly. 

Firstly, I have withdraw the comments about her holiday and wish her a good holiday. 

But my main point was why go on holiday if you can't enjoy interacting with the locals, going to restaurants, museums, etc and wearing facemasks in public. It isn't the same as pre coronavirus

It wasn't against her personally at all. Quite like the poster's views even we disagree on the bulk of different topics. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

Last thing I want to do on holiday is interact with other people 

Risked the swimming pool today. If I choose to I could eat in most restaurants here as they all have outdoor seating areas and the weather is good enough. Even cinemas are open here but we dont fancy that. Museums are open and you only have to wear masks indoors. Most of what we want to do is outdoors and were having a great time thanks. 

Just now, RoverDom said:

Last thing I want to do on holiday is interact with other people 

Do you normally interact with other people when you go on holiday pre covid?

Just now, gumboots said:

Risked the swimming pool today. If I choose to I could eat in most restaurants here as they all have outdoor seating areas and the weather is good enough. Even cinemas are open here but we dont fancy that. Museums are open and you only have to wear masks indoors. Most of what we want to do is outdoors and were having a great time thanks. 

I'm pleased you are having a good time. Where in France have you gone? 

What measures are taking by the hotel or villa you are staying in? to ensure its covid safe? 

are the restaurants busy there and are they all open? 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cos you were allowed to meet one other household as the guidelines from the government

Ah but the problem is, my grandson has 2 sets of grandparents so couldn't be allowed to interact with us but not the others. Easier to keep him away from both. Also my daughter has sent him back to nursery and doesnt know if he may pick up the virus there. She worries about our health and the health of her in laws so its partly about protecting us

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Do you normally interact with other people when you go on holiday pre covid?

Absolutely not 😂

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

I'm pleased you are having a good time. Where in France have you gone? 

What measures are taking by the hotel or villa you are staying in? to ensure its covid safe? 

are the restaurants busy there and are they all open? 

We own our own caravan here so its us who take the measures. Weve cleaned it top to bottom since arriving including doing the legionnaires disease stuff you're meant to do. It's in Brittany which saw a surge in cases just before we arrived but has dropped to no new cases again. The campsite has limits on people allowed in the pool. There is hand sanitizer all over the place. Supermarkets are disinfecting all trolleys and providing sanitizer. Most restaurants are open, masks on arrival, staff are masked in all shops and restaurants and open air markets require masks if you cant keep distance. The local beach here is over 2 miles long so no crowding. It's great.

Just now, gumboots said:

Ah but the problem is, my grandson has 2 sets of grandparents so couldn't be allowed to interact with us but not the others. Easier to keep him away from both. Also my daughter has sent him back to nursery and doesnt know if he may pick up the virus there. She worries about our health and the health of her in laws so its partly about protecting us

I can understand that Gumboots. 

I havent seen my best friend and his family since the lockdown started. over 4 months now. Not good and we are both annoyed and fed up with it now. But we stayed away to protect him and missus plus his 1 year old son and his parents and vice versa to protect me and the missus plus our daughter and my parents. We talk all the time via whats apps but isnt the same as social connect and doing activates as a group

Posted (edited)

Just watching the opening coverage of British Grand Prix the presenters are outside wearing masks discussing the race.

Watching the FA Cup yesterday not a mask in sight for the commentary team, same with the cricket.

Just goes to show the mixed messages and confusion that reigns at the moment.

I know mosques have asked local government to hold prayers/EID in parks across the NW and been refused due to the numbers involved (250/500) then you see Manchester town centre packed with drinkers, beaches across the country packed, edisford bridge was busy yesterday apparently.

Some of these places aren’t under lockdown, but still, it’s mixed messages that all stems from Opening up to soon, against the advice from SAGE.

Now we are seeing the impact of that decision. 

Edited by Gav

9 hours ago, Gav said:

Just watching the opening coverage of British Grand Prix the presenters are outside wearing masks discussing the race.

Watching the FA Cup yesterday not a mask in sight for the commentary team, same with the cricket.

Just goes to show the mixed messages and confusion that reigns at the moment.

I know mosques have asked local government to hold prayers/EID in parks across the NW and been refused due to the numbers involved (250/500) then you see Manchester town centre packed with drinkers, beaches across the country packed, edisford bridge was busy yesterday apparently.

Some of these places aren’t under lockdown, but still, it’s mixed messages that all stems from Opening up to soon, against the advice from SAGE.

Now we are seeing the impact of that decision. 

Mixed messages are a real problem.

The most simplistic way of putting it is if you meet people outdoors, stay 1m away and do not share food/drink/utensils etc you have a vanishingly tiny chance of infection.

So MOTD staff not wearing masks is fine by me. Agree that just isn't clear though from the government messaging.

On 01/08/2020 at 22:22, RoverDom said:

Absolutely not 😂

My rule if I see any Brits in our village is to pretend I'm Spanish. There are some nice British ex-pats ( immigrants ) in Spain but a lot of them are real ham shankers.

V_FbjqL1_bigger.jpg

·
With infections rising, it’s frankly negligent ministers have failed to deliver on their promise to regularly test care home residents and staff. The Government failed to protect care homes early on in this crisis. They can't make the same mistake again.

I see the latest plan being considered is to tell everybody over 50 to " shield " themselves and let the rest of the population try to get on with their lives as " normal ". I thought this might be the best way of tackling the virus back in March when all this got serious but I would have set the cut off age at 65.

It'll never happen because the Tories would be massively alienating their core vote.

I'm 66 and in better health than many I know. I'd resent in the extreme being told to stay at home and not go out. I could do it if I could see a point and I'm quite prepared to stay socially distanced, only go out for exercise, but stay at home. No chance.  

On 01/08/2020 at 22:22, RoverDom said:

Absolutely not 😂

I remember going on holiday when I was in my early 20's and being approached on the first day by a bloke and his wife after breakfast. Before I knew it, he'd booked us to go snorkelling and for lunch with them. We never turned up and we spent the rest of the holiday avoiding them in our hotel. 

9 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I see the latest plan being considered is to tell everybody over 50 to " shield " themselves and let the rest of the population try to get on with their lives as " normal ". I thought this might be the best way of tackling the virus back in March when all this got serious but I would have set the cut off age at 65.

It'll never happen because the Tories would be massively alienating their core vote.

it was discussion wasn't it not a plan yet

54 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

it was discussion wasn't it not a plan yet

It might be the only way out if things don't start to improve soon.

North East Lancs seems to be heading towards the most almighty shit show.

Going back into lockdown

But national policies are assuming Covid is over:

So furlough and business support being reduced/withdrawn

Rent holidays ending

Stay on evictions ending

Banks re-introducing interest charges and in many cases at much higher rates 

Banks ending the moratorium on forcing administration and liquidation

5 minutes ago, philipl said:

North East Lancs seems to be heading towards the most almighty shit show.

Going back into lockdown

But national policies are assuming Covid is over:

So furlough and business support being reduced/withdrawn

Rent holidays ending

Stay on evictions ending

Banks re-introducing interest charges and in many cases at much higher rates 

Banks ending the moratorium on forcing administration and liquidation

Businesses aer going bust all over the place. Furlough hasn't even ended yet. Unless the govt extends furlough there will be utter carnage. 

Blanket end to furlough is silly. Not everything is open yet so how can you take away their support? 

As you allow certain sectors to open up, take away their access to furlough but you cant take away support and not let them trade that's outrageous. I thought they'd done a really good job with furlough but they've let themselves down their.